Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems shipping to the UK?

Hi, Does anyone know if there are regulations about shipping Stampin Up stuff to the UK. I just sent my first package to the UK and they claimed they did not receive it, but I have sent packages to Australia, Germany, Italy, with no problems at all. So I am wondering if that person is trying to get me to refund their money because there is no tracking number so I can't prove anything, all I have is the receipt saying that I shipped a package.

Is there anyone in the UK that has received paackages from Canada or USA with no problems.

Oh and I am in Canada.

Thanks
J
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there,

I live in the UK and I have not had a trouble receiving packages from the States or Canada.

The only thing I will say is that they can take up to 6 weeks to arrive as sometimes they go the slow way round.

HTH

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Barbara, thank you so much for your reply, they waited almost 2 months then contacted me to ask if I had a tracking number, I said no and suggest it may be delayed as that ws over the Christmas rush, but they just contacted me again a few days ago demanding their money back, so I am not sure if it can take that long, should I suggest they wait longer. This is the first package I have ever had go missing and I ship a lot of packages.

Thanks,
J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I've had things from the states take 2 weeks and I've had things take 2 months. The last thing I had sent from Canada took 4 months but that's as it was very heavy and I paid the slow boat rate and not airmail.

The problem is Royal Mail is very good at loosing things (I speak from personal experiance, out of pocket $140 to a CTMH demo) or it could be stuck in customs and the person receiving it may get a card through the door from Royal Mail asking to pay VAT and import duty shortly. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks that is a lot of help, it has only been 2 and a half months, so there is still hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would still wonder what recourse this person has? You say you have a receipt for the mailing...does it show the address to which it was mailed? Or even the postal code/country? Did they insure delivery?

It's very frustrating when things like this happen. I mean, when you KNOW you sent the package, why is it your fault if it gets lost in the mail?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default Can take a long time

Quote:

Originally Posted by LangaraView Post
I've had things from the states take 2 weeks and I've had things take 2 months. The last thing I had sent from Canada took 4 months but that's as it was very heavy and I paid the slow boat rate and not airmail.

The problem is Royal Mail is very good at loosing things (I speak from personal experiance, out of pocket $140 to a CTMH demo) or it could be stuck in customs and the person receiving it may get a card through the door from Royal Mail asking to pay VAT and import duty shortly. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
We are in Canada and have had things delivered in just 4 days when it had the lowest possible postage and other things took several months. No real reason. I can read the date it was posted.

As for the UK, you mentioned VAT, not many know that is the value added tax which is quite high and yes, we often have to pay our PST and GST plus $5 document fee. Presently, the provincial sales tax in Ontario is 8% and the GST in all of Canada is 5%. Goods and Services tax. Often lately, they have come through without any charges as they are too busy or short staffed. In any case, we win.

I am sure eventually the person will receive the package. Maybe they got a card and it got stuck in a magazine or something and they didn't notice it. They then have to make a trip to the post office, with the card, show ID and pay the VAT and whatever else. Maybe they didn't expect this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I would still wonder what recourse this person has? You say you have a receipt for the mailing...does it show the address to which it was mailed? Or even the postal code/country? Did they insure delivery?

It's very frustrating when things like this happen. I mean, when you KNOW you sent the package, why is it your fault if it gets lost in the mail?
You have hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned with any postal service - when you contract them to deliver a package (receipt/stamps etc) then it is their duty to ensure it is either delivered or returned to you the sender so there is really no excuse for anything to get lost - imagine if other things were treated that way?:rolleyes: Surely they should be insured without you doubly insuring any package but that is probably another thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for your replies, the only problem is they paid through paypal and if they claim they did not receive it to paypal, paypal can actually charge it back to my account (heard this from other people). My receipt only says it was sent to an international address (I could have filled out the exact address, but the people at the post office said it was not necessary, I won't listed to tehm anymore), and they did not pay for insurance, but Canada post does come with a $100 coverage, but now I have to go through all the paperwork and phone calls just to see if they might reimburse me. I hope I can convince them to wait longer and it will show up, otherwise if paypal takes it back from me I know choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you have a refund policy? I only ask because selling regulations are different in different places and your UK customer is probably used to things working a certain way. Here (I'm in the UK) if something goes missing in the mail and you have a "proof of posting" certificate, you can claim the value of the item (up to a set limit) from the Post Office so you'd be able to refund without being out of pocket or even supply the proof of posting to the customer and get her to make the refund claim herself. Obviously that's not going to apply to an international transaction but it might be having an effect on her expectations.

If the item was sent airmail then it would normally have shown up well before now. Having said that, I received something last week (15th January) that had been posted in Ohio on 8th December with no apparent reason for the delay.

Generally stuff from the US or Canada does get here with no problem but just as domestic mail sometimes goes astray, international mail sometime suffers the same fate. I've regularly get stuff sent from north America and have been lucky enough that only one things has failed to show up.

Hope you get the situation resolved!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: We live in the Garden of England (Maidstone, Kent).

HI, i took part in a swap and my package from the USA did not turn up and never has so it is possible for things to get lost. Also I have had parcels that look as though they have been opened and inspected as to what is inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Johanna, I know what you mean about the extra tax, I am in Canada too, and the $5 fee, just so they can charge you the tax can make it expensive, but luckily you are right and they are so busy now that I have not had to pay that in a while.

Does the US have sales tax or taxes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I guess all I can do is to apply to get reimbursed from Canada post and if I do then I will refund their money, unless paypal just takes it back. I offered no refund policy of my own, and I know when I order things international that if I don't pay for priority or tracking, or insurance, then it is my problem. I always prefer just regular mail as it is way cheaper in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I've had parcels go AWOL with Royal Mail in the past that have never turned up.
But it could also be a customs thing - I had an order dispatched from the US on the 4th of January and it only just turned up today as Customs had got their hands on it! (Customs can charge extra VAT if the value of the parcel is over �18 )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbenjaminView Post
Thanks for your replies, the only problem is they paid through paypal and if they claim they did not receive it to paypal, paypal can actually charge it back to my account (heard this from other people). My receipt only says it was sent to an international address (I could have filled out the exact address, but the people at the post office said it was not necessary, I won't listed to tehm anymore), and they did not pay for insurance, but Canada post does come with a $100 coverage, but now I have to go through all the paperwork and phone calls just to see if they might reimburse me. I hope I can convince them to wait longer and it will show up, otherwise if paypal takes it back from me I know choice.
If you have proof that you mailed it, save this for PayPal. They look at both sides of the dispute before they charge you. If you have the proof of mailing, then you did what you were supposed to do, and it will be up to the post office to solve it. Good luck with that, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes