Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
I never heard it called that before.

I thought I was missing out on a whole new world! LOL!
What's the name for the kind of embossing we do when we step on a can? Now that Gina taught us that we need a name
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Insane Embellisher

I haven't read all of these posts to see what others have said, but personally I am just thankful for everyone that shares their work. I would not be near the stamper I am right now without gaining inspiration from others here. To me, a simple click to get to someone's blog is not that serious, in fact, if you are REALLY interested in all that went into that particular card then step-by-step instructions on someone's blog is usually more helpful and more detailed than it is on SCS anyway. I just appreciate everyone's willingness to share, and applaude those that DO take the time to "blog it"!! ( :
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
You're not serious, right! It's not heat embossing, it's the other kind where the actual paper is raised. I'm sure you've used this technique with either Cuttlebug embossing folders or an old fashioned stylus and brass template!
Sorry, gotta agree with Gina...never heard it called blind embossing and that's one of the first techiniques I learned many years ago. It's referred to as dry embossing as far as I know.

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post
I want to clarify my earlier post by saying that I have no problem with those that do list a "recipe" and then say "for more info, see my blog at *link*."

The ones I have a problem with are those that list nothing but a link to their blog...that is what is so irritating.
I agree with this one and the music comment, I can't close blogs with music fast enough.
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpkennedyView Post
Sorry, gotta agree with Gina...never heard it called blind embossing and that's one of the first techiniques I learned many years ago. It's referred to as dry embossing as far as I know.
Hijack - I third that, dry embossing is what I've heard referred to. and if you use a light box wouldit really be fair to call it "blind embossing?" LOL :mrgreen:

Back on topic, for the record I've never listed only a link to my blog with no recipe, and never would. I actually can't even remember seeing an upload like that from someone here but I must be looking at different things since it seem most everyone has seen this.
Gallery Gazer

I post the basic recipe in my SCS gallery and a more detailed summary on my blog. I also dislike when nothing is posted. All SCS asks of us is to post a basic recipe, then you can post a blog link for more detailed information. If the basic recipe is there no one HAS to go to a blog.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
The other day I was looking through the gallery and found several cards with just links to blogs -- no other info. Ordinarily I would just keep going, but then I thought maybe this person does not frequent the forums and just doesn't know, so instead I left a comment like "great card, you may want to read this thread" with a link to JulieHRR's thread. That way the person can't claim ignorance. I gess I figure it's nice to give a person the benefit of a doubt and lead them to the information before assuming that they are intentionally ignoring our requests for basic card info on SCS.

You are brave! I still stumble on cards without any info other than *see blog for more deets...*. And I just click out without leaving a comment. I don't know if I would leave the comment you do, good on you!

You know, it wasn't that long ago when I was a stamping newbie and the info in the receipes were INVALUABLE to me. I would look through the galleries and write down color combos I liked. Then when I placed my meager SU! order, I would order those colors to start out with. Had to start somewhere. I think the seasoned stampers forget just how basic info helps out the newbies.

Again, this has been discussed so many times I am still shocked and a bit off-put when people upload cards with no receipe info at all. This is a wonderful forum, and everyone should want to respect the rules. It really doesn't take that much extra time since the rule is now modified to say you can put the receipe info in the *description* section instead of the itemized sections, so they can cut and paste from your blog.
Crimping Master

Quote:

I want to clarify my earlier post by saying that I have no problem with those that do list a "recipe" and then say "for more info, see my blog at *link*."

The ones I have a problem with are those that list nothing but a link to their blog...that is what is so irritating.
I completely agree with this. I don't want to offend anyone because there really are lots of great blogs out there, but 99% of the time, most of us only need a list of the supplies, stamps, and tools that were used. It's not rocket science, so we don't need the play-by-play commentary, and I barely have time to look at the list in the gallery, let alone go blog surfing!

And for the record, I'm another one who won't comment or favorite if there aren't details, just on principal!
Pearl-ExPert

BTW, I always post all the details I can on SCS before I add my *see blog for more info*. I like to take additional pics and I don't think it's necessary to do several uploads of the same card with diff views in the gallery. I absolutely agree that they should be listed on every upload. There is one particular poster who I won't even open thumbnails of their images anymore because they never ever put any info on their upload. I don't think that's fair to everyone else who puts the time in to do it and to share with the community.

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
What's the name for the kind of embossing we do when we step on a can? Now that Gina taught us that we need a name
I think Gina's new technique should be called The Can-Can! It's kind of like a dance step, right?:lol:
Crimping Master

I must admit I do not post images with a link to my blog...that is in my sig line if anyone wanted to visit. However, when I upload now, I only mainly upload to my gallery...which will show on the daily uploads...it never asks for a recipe like when you upload to a particular technique...Are they going to change this anytime soon? I usually upload quickly and do not even think that the recipe isn't there...I will just have to create my own recipe inside the additional info box...sorry...I will definitely be a lot more considerate to the fresh stampers on this site and give better descriptions...

I am generally a little more upset about not getting comments...I do not visit a card unless I can leave a great note...or when I click into a card and can't see it because it had to be approved by the moderator...I wish everyone could join the fan club, so their work could be uploaded immediately...It is totally worth the membership alone!!!
Polyshrink Goddess

Personally I have no problem with those that list a "recipe" and then give the "for more info, see my blog and add their *link*."

My problem is with those that list nothing but a link to their blog. It is not only bothersome, but rather disrespectful, at least to me.
I am blessed to have cable at home and direct access at work. But, where it really bothers me, is for my sisters (brothers) that are in areas where they only can get dial up (yes it's not me, but it could be!).
It is hard enough for them to get access to SCS to get some inspiration, they pull up an image to get the proverbial "for more info, see my blog *link*." and no other info, NOT COOL.
Watercolor Wizard

what will happen if the blog craze dies and then they delete their blog?

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oops, my years as a stationery store manager overrode my years as a papercrafter :mrgreen:

blind embossing = dry embossing = raised paper with no color

See, now, I taught all of you something new. Next I'm really going to confuse you and call heat embossing "thermography."
Stazon Splitcoast

I won't leave a comment for cards without recipes but expect the viewer to go to their blog. I just report the photo. The place to click is in the middle right under the recipe. I choose "other" and then type "no recipe, blog linked". I'm not sure if it's helping, but I haven't heard anything negative from a moderator.
Gallery Gazer

I also don't leave a comment on cards with no information. I read the blog link as a statement from the poster saying their time is more valuable than mine. Like I have all the time in the world to search for information but they are so busy that they can't leave a recipe. I may be way wrong, but that's the impression I get. :(
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldywardView Post
I must admit I do not post images with a link to my blog...that is in my sig line if anyone wanted to visit. However, when I upload now, I only mainly upload to my gallery...which will show on the daily uploads...it never asks for a recipe like when you upload to a particular technique...Are they going to change this anytime soon? I usually upload quickly and do not even think that the recipe isn't there...I will just have to create my own recipe inside the additional info box...sorry...I will definitely be a lot more considerate to the fresh stampers on this site and give better descriptions...
In my 3.5 years of posting in my gallery here, I've never experienced the situation that I bolded above in Goldyward's post. This is just a wild guess, but when you're on the first card uploading page, if you have the "Skip upload and process the files already in your upload directory" box checked, is that what happens - it just posts your card without taking you to the second page where you input your recipe?

I agree with many of the comments already stated in this thread. It's annoying to follow a blog link and then find it doesn't take you directly to the card in question. I got tired of that quickly so I very, very rarely go to any blogs any more.
Montague Mingler

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
In my 3.5 years of posting in my gallery here, I've never experienced the situation that I bolded above in Goldyward's post. This is just a wild guess, but when you're on the first card uploading page, if you have the "Skip upload and process the files already in your upload directory" box checked, is that what happens - it just posts your card without taking you to the second page where you input your recipe?

I agree with many of the comments already stated in this thread. It's annoying to follow a blog link and then find it doesn't take you directly to the card in question. I got tired of that quickly so I very, very rarely go to any blogs any more.
I know exactly what Goldyward meant! It happens when you load into your gallery or into an album and not into a specific set or other "SCS" gallery. Then it only offers the 'description' area and not the paper/inks/stamps/etc. fields.

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

I agree!!! I don't find it necessary for people to write even anything as long as there is a recipe. I am not good at expressing myself so most of the time I think I should leave that area blank!
Sometimes colors don't show the same on screens wheter it be paper, ribbon etc. so even if it may seem obvious, that isn't always the case.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Crimping Master

I want to preface by saying, I don't upload my cards to SCS. That is, however, on 'my things to learn how to do' list. I love that people post cards at all, I try to remind myself that I am not entitled to seeing these crafters' card. They decide they want to inspire me and put their work out there, not the other way around. So if I have to click on their blog, it doesnt bother me so much.

Just my two cents...
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleGoodrichView Post
I know exactly what Goldyward meant! It happens when you load into your gallery or into an album and not into a specific set or other "SCS" gallery. Then it only offers the 'description' area and not the paper/inks/stamps/etc. fields.
I don't upload a lot of SU! so most of mine go right into my gallery and I always get the second page, after image processing, and it has options for filling out the recipe. Goldyward should check her first page and make sure the skip...upload is not checked.

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LidaBView Post
I completely agree with this. I don't want to offend anyone because there really are lots of great blogs out there, but 99% of the time, most of us only need a list of the supplies, stamps, and tools that were used. It's not rocket science, so we don't need the play-by-play commentary, and I barely have time to look at the list in the gallery, let alone go blog surfing!

And for the record, I'm another one who won't comment or favorite if there aren't details, just on principal!
ITA here. While I love to check out blogs, I can't view a majority of them here at work (which is when I cruise SCS) & I am not online enough in the evenings to go through every blog from a card I might have favorited, etc.

A link to a blog is great in ADDITION to a basic recipe.

That's my .02 :-)

Anne
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleGoodrichView Post
I've never tried loading into an album. I've uploaded several cards directly into "my gallery" and have always been taken to the second upload page where I input the recipe, just like dpkennedy described in her post a few up from this one.

It's strange that some people get that second page and not other people... which is why I wondered in my first post in this thread if it had to do with the "skip upload" box.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something that keeps coming up over and over and is only one of a few things that can cause me some angst.

As others have already stated, I don't think SCS was started with the intent to furnish advertisement of any kind and people aught to keep this in mind when populating their galleries.

I applaud those who can find the time and put in the effort to maintaining a blog, and understandably want exposure. I think, however, that given the growing number of blogs out there, that blog promotion aught to be limited to a link in the signature.

Galleries . . . from what I've seen, most people taking the shortcut in their gallery descriptions, pointing people to their blogs instead, in my view just makes me think they're too lazy to bother and are more interested in promoting their blog than sharing information here, and very few of them are actually new to SCS. I also pass them by. I also find it an incovenience to take the time to furnish the information, but I try to keep in mind that there are new people out there who are just trying to figure out how the SCS monster works, and in the spirit of SCS I put effort into providing the information.

Recipe's . . . I'm probably in a very small minority here, but I really don't care what paper the person used, or the specific colors used, or stamps, etc. The reason for this is because my tool and materiel supply is very limited, and I choose to not shop online as it is just too frustrating trying to find Canadian friendly sellers or shipping costs make doing business with these places unlikely. I find I can do quite well with the products I get at my local LSS(s). I can certainly understand why this information is important to others, and it aught to be provided as requested/required by SCS admin.

Paper/Stamps . . . to SU! or to not SU! . . . It's beautiful paper, no doubt about that, and very likely superior to a lot/most of what's out there, but the whole SU! thing just feels too cultish and snobby for my tastes and I've chosen to just not go there. If my projects are deemed to be inferior simply because I didn't use SU! then so be it.

Now, after all is said and done, we can all take comfort in the knowledge that we are not alone in being annoyed by some or all of these things.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

The "one" STEP embossing!!!! :lol:
Crimping Master

Quote:

I don't upload a lot of SU! so most of mine go right into my gallery and I always get the second page, after image processing, and it has options for filling out the recipe. Goldyward should check her first page and make sure the skip...upload is not checked.
Okay...I went back to where everyone is directing me to and I am still getting it...I do not have the box checked to skip uploading etc...maybe I will contact someone to find out what is happening...
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

I generally try to fill out whatever parts of the recipe I can (I don't think I've ever left something entirely blank and I never post my blog link, except in my siggy line).....even if it's just that I put non-SU 'cuz I don't know any other specifics as I tend to throw away wrappings when I get my stuff home!!! LOL

But here's a question.......I hardly ever put anything for keywords or difficulty level since it's really so different for everyone..........is that something I really *should* be filling out anyway?? Just wondering..........how do you all decide on those fields?
Die Cut Diva

I too agree with Sassyat30! If someone goes to the bother of uploading to SCS, then why not share the rest of the info????????? I personally haven't ever uploaded anything...........maybe I should just keep quiet! LOL

KraftyChic
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvLeeView Post
But here's a question.......I hardly ever put anything for keywords or difficulty level since it's really so different for everyone..........is that something I really *should* be filling out anyway?? Just wondering..........how do you all decide on those fields?
Well, I'd like to think that I'm not the dullest pencil in the box, so if I find a particular project difficult or challenging, then so must everyone else right? And if everyone else doesn't find it difficult . . . then perhaps I'm duller than I think! LOL
Crimping Master

Default Well, What the heck...

I have since tried to go back into the few pictures I have in my gallery album and edit them to have a recipe on them and now that is not working either...Who do you contact when you have issues with your gallery????

Sorry to thread-jack...but I want you to know I am working to fix my gallery...now I feel bad I have the few in there w/o info...
Stazon Splitcoast

Goldyward, you aren't doing anything "wrong." I believe you are uploading to an ALBUM that you created rather than to "the gallery." When you first start to upload you can choose between uploading to an album or pick a category from the drop-down list. When you upload to an album, there is no page to fill in the info. It just doesn't pop up.
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first start to upload, I would get messages from whoever does this at Splitcoast that they had to move my photo because I didn't specify a logical category... so I started to pay some attention to that, because if they had to take the time to move it, that would be pretty inconsiderate of me.

Then, early on, I posted a card and got several PMs and questions asking what color cardstock I used because they really liked it and couldn't tell. ... so I started to put in the information. Of course, I had to refer to my catalog for the names of the colors because I didn't know them very well yet! And now I can't always remember the name of non-SU DP, but I at least try to put the company's name.

Not so long ago, I started to search the gallery for non-SU stamp ideas... such as MFT or Papertrey or Kitchen Sink... It was then I learned that if you put those words in the 'key words' field, others can search for them based on that info. SO... you have a monkey stamp you really want to use and would like some inspiration (or an occasion, or whatever) - you can search for that keyword and find a whole bunch (haha) of 'monkey' cards!

I guess the bottom line for me is that we all learn as we go along... we help eachother get the most from Splitcoast... And I think it is great that in the early days of this site, someone designed the upload process to include the information on the cards. It was incredibly helpful to me when I was just starting out. And I have 'discovered' many new wonderful stamps, paper, etc., thanks to people taking the time to share.

Awhile back I came upon a sticky note somewhere in the forums requesting that people take the time to 'fill in the blanks'. I think it's nice.

And I agree with many of the comments re: blogs: Put your link in the signature line and add a little note if there's additional helpful info there ... but otherwise, just give us the basics in the fields provided.
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCritterView Post
The term is used widely in the stationery industry, but I rarely hear it in the craft industry. I wonder why that is?
I like the term. It's sounds a bit dangerous! ;)

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

We know that's what you meant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
The other day I was looking through the gallery and found several cards with just links to blogs -- no other info. Ordinarily I would just keep going, but then I thought maybe this person does not frequent the forums and just doesn't know, so instead I left a comment like "great card, you may want to read this thread" with a link to JulieHRR's thread. That way the person can't claim ignorance. I gess I figure it's nice to give a person the benefit of a doubt and lead them to the information before assuming that they are intentionally ignoring our requests for basic card info on SCS.
I've done this, but with a pm, as opposed to a comment on the card. I've also done what Jen70 has said, to report the photo as one "with a blog link only". I have no idea what the mods do with that info though.
Stazon Splitcoast

Goldyward, I hope this works...I'm going to try and post a screen shot of the first upload page you get...I've highlighted in red what I think you might be doing. When you choose an album of your own to upload into, you won't get the same screen as when you upload to a category...

What you want to do is use the one right above that, where you choose a category. If this doesn't work, I'm so sorry! I'm not very good at explaining this stuff..
Attached Files
File Type: doc UploadScreen.doc (265.5 KB, 24 views)
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Foot embossing.

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
I think Gina's new technique should be called The Can-Can! It's kind of like a dance step, right?:lol:
LOL! I like it! ;)

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Oops, my years as a stationery store manager overrode my years as a papercrafter :mrgreen:

blind embossing = dry embossing = raised paper with no color

See, now, I taught all of you something new. Next I'm really going to confuse you and call heat embossing "thermography."
I love learning new suff- bring it on! :mrgreen:

I also agree with several of the above posters, and don't leave a comment for cards that just have blog links. But then, the offenders probably don't care if they get comments anyway!! I am going to start reporting them, though. Maybe one day they will get the hint!!