Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG!!!!! The postman just charged me $1.21!

I just went to mail three cards. One had a button and wouldn't go through the cardboard slot measuring tool they have. No biggie...in the past he has just charged me 20 cents extra. I said, "That one is $1.21?" He said yes because of the bump???? I was in SHOCK! I've put buttons on that size before and mailed them there...same guy???? Has anyone else had such a huge fee for one card? He didn't weigh it or anything..at least that I saw. It had a button on it I just got from Buttons Galore...about the size of a nickel. I'm tempted to make the same exact card and mail it with just 20 cents extra and see what happens.
Also, this was only a one layer card that had three scalloped punched out squares on it. They were popped up over a ribbon...big deal, huh?

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-19-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

If a card is thicker than a certain amount (1/4" maybe?) they charge you the package rate. Which starts at $1.21.

I've had to pay that in the past. It's really a bummer. :(

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
If a card is thicker than a certain amount (1/4" maybe?) they charge you the package rate. Which starts at $1.21.

I've had to pay that in the past. It's really a bummer. :(
WOW!! I almost always put on buttons and have never had this happen. I NEVER mind putting 20 cents extra on but almost 80 cents extra...yikes. Those buttons just got real expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
WOW!! I almost always put on buttons and have never had this happen. I NEVER mind putting 20 cents extra on but almost 80 cents extra...yikes. Those buttons just got real expensive!
Sometimes I put a piece of extra CS over the front of the card inside the envelope, so the 'bump' doesn't get snagged on the machines and such -- and haven't had problems with return for extra postage...

maybe give that a try next time? HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 492 Likes on 309 Posts

Yes or save the thin packing stuff that comes in sheets.....I cut it up into card sizes and put it over the front when I have bumps or wiggle eyes or whatever and it works fine. Usually fits through the slot and have never had them returned for extra postage. I stuff them into the envelope first and keep a pile of "padded" envelopes ready for thicker cards. I also turn the lump/bump whatever to the back of the envelope and that helps it go through the machine---don't ask me why?

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I did put an index card over the bumb. I also turned it to the back of the envelope. I think he was just looking to bring in some extra cash today!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default postage

sometime just taking a thin THIN chipboard and running it thru the crimper and putting that in the envelope helps.
I think if you walk it in and ask, they ALWAYS charge you more, but if you just drop it in the box it goes with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnsaView Post
I think if you walk it in and ask, they ALWAYS charge you more, but if you just drop it in the box it goes with no problems.
That's my experience too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
Sometimes I put a piece of extra CS over the front of the card inside the envelope, so the 'bump' doesn't get snagged on the machines and such -- and haven't had problems with return for extra postage...

maybe give that a try next time? HTH
I haven't had anything returned to me for postage, but I have had several cards from others delivered to my mailbox with a postage due note. It said I could pay the mail carrier... I just left a quarter in the box with the note and apparently it's fine. But I would hate for my card to arrive that way to someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
I haven't had anything returned to me for postage, but I have had several cards from others delivered to my mailbox with a postage due note. It said I could pay the mail carrier... I just left a quarter in the box with the note and apparently it's fine. But I would hate for my card to arrive that way to someone else.
I received homemade cards from others with extra postage due notes to.... not likely I'm going to tell the sender that though... I just remember that when I send them out to add extra postage always
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I too receive hand made cards in the mail with postage due. My mail carrier is good about leaving the card in hopes that I leave her the money due....which I do!! I could never tell the person that sent it that the card had postage due. My feelings, the extra 17 cents or quarter is well worth getting the card!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am another who finds that if I drop them in the mail box they arrive with no problem - I've mailed some to friends to see if they get charged extra postage and I've mailed a couple to myself to see what would happen...all arrived without postage due notes...but everytime I go in and mail over the counter I pay alot more for embellished cards...sometimes it pays to be sneaky I guess and always have a stash of postage stamps on hand so you can drop them and run
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Yes this has happened to me. The post office said because the letter cant go through the sorting machine it get's stuck. So they said they need to charge as parcel post..
I have mailed with just a 0.42 and it made it to its destination but the envelope was torn; but the card was in good condition. I think when u pay more it gets there in better condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

This exact thing also happened to me as well. The postman sounded soooo happy to get to charge me $1.21 to mail a card with a button. I just about fainted. Last time I ever put a fat button on a card that has to be mailed.

I swear they get commission off this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it make a difference if you ask for "hand cancellation" (which automically triggers the $0.20 extra postage) and not wait to see if it goes through?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

The cardboard, etc. over the top will not change your fee if it's thicker than 1/4"...it is considered a "package" then. It is flipping ridiculous. I had a postage due come to me once, and when I questioned the carrier he suggested I come in (with the notice, since I wouldn't pay) to find out. They said it was greater than 1/4" and "wouldn't go through the slot." However, I was able to put it through the slot, NO PROBLEM. STILL she wouldn't budge, saying "you can't FORCE it" (which I did not force it).
I can see paying the extra 20c (although, really, that's a little over the top too, it's almost a 50% surcharge), but calling it a package...ridiculous. It obviously made it here!
I think they are just plain crazy sometimes. If they didn't have a monopoly, they'd be out of business for sure. They wonder why FedEx and UPS are taking their business...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I thought for sure it would be just hand cancelled and 20 cents more not 80 cents more??? That's what he has done in the past. I just got two, nice, new bottles of buttons and want to use them...darn ;.(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Yes this has happened to me. The post office said because the letter cant go through the sorting machine it get's stuck. So they said they need to charge as parcel post..
I have mailed with just a 0.42 and it made it to its destination but the envelope was torn; but the card was in good condition. I think when u pay more it gets there in better condition.
The extra 20c is supposed to be for the hand cancellation (so it doesn't go through the machine anyway, supposedly). $1.21 is a little bit ridiculous for a letter just because they claim is greater than 1/4" thick (and I say "claim" because I think even if it's close they'll claim it is too thick)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes