Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major problem with my rubber stamps! HELP!

I was told on another thread on how use my rubber stamps with acrylic blocks instead of the wood blocks and to use Aileen's Tack over and over but when I I tried to put them on my plastic sheets for storing, they stuck so much that I lost some of the foam on the back of the stamp. What did I do wrong?! Should I have not put them on the plastic backing for storage? I find that they stick to the acrlyic blocks ok and I can get them off with a little tug, but when I tried to store them on the plastic (white/ez mount storing boards) they stuck to that and I had to really pull to get it off, thus losing some of the grey foam backing on the actual stamp. Anyone have any advice as to what I had done wrong? Could I have put too much tack it over and over on the them (stamps)? I put some on the back of the stamp and painted it over the stamp as the directions suggested with a paint brush. Should I use the Undo to get all the tack over stuff off so I can try another solution? I'm afraid I'm going to ruin my stamps if I leave this on and I have way too much money invested in Stampin Up stamps to ruin anymore. (Unfortunately, I used the Tack Over stuff on almost all of my stamps!)
Any help and advice would be so appreciated.:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have used a bit too much of the Aleene's. A few of my stamps did the same thing. Not to worry--after you ease (or gently tug--and then tug some more) your stamps off the plastic, lightly stamp the sticky side of your stamp (the side with the adhesive on it) quickly and lightly onto your jeans or sweatshirt or whatever. It will pick up enough fabric "dust" or fiber to help cut down on the stickiness a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmm, if the foam you are talking about is the EZ mount, you don't need the glue - the backing on the EZ mount clings to the acrylic block on its own. I use the EZ mount on my stamps. I think people who use the tack it glue do not have any foam on the stamp.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Default Don't worry

I also use the Tack-It. It will lessen its grip after a while. Sometimes the foam does partially rip. When that happens I just take off the foam( this can be a pain although Stampin Up is not as bad as some others) and then put the Tack-it directly on the rubber. I have never had a problem getting a good image this way. I do have a soft mat under my paper when I stamp.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Did you just recently buy the tack it and tack it again? I don't think you did anything wrong, I believe that the formula in that stuff has been changed. I've been using it for years and had to buy a new bottle a couple of weeks ago and ending up tossing it. After putting that stuff on the back of my stamps and letting them sit overnight (and sometimes lomger) I discovered that I could hardly get them off the acrylic block after using them and those that had been on plastic sheets were also very difficult to remove. It's almost as though that stuff had a memory loss and is acting like permanent glue. Incidentally, I don't have any of the foam backing on my stamps. But it would not have made a difference to you if the formula had not changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all for your advice. I was unable to purchase the EZ foam in my part of California, so I opted for the Aileen's. Boy that stuff sure does stick. It's nice to hear others of you have had this problem. I only wish I had tried this method out and then had written the forum before I did this to almost all of my stamps.

I will try the rubbing on my sweatshirt idea. If that fails then I will be spending all night taking all of the rubber off of my stamps. May I ask how all of you store your rubber stamps. I thought putting them on the white plastic board was a great idea and then the binder; easy storage and being able to see what stamp you have and it being readily being available without hunting through my drawers.

Thanks all who responded. Now I know my stamps can be saved!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all my unmounted stamps in three ring binders. I stamp the image on a sheet of computer paper then slip that into the premium heavy weight sheet protectors that I buy at Staples. The stamp sits on top of the sheet protector to the side of the image. If it is a Stampin! Up set I stick the images that would go on the wooden blocks on the computer paper and put the name at the top of the page or the bottom. I think I've always have been able to get a complete set on one page. Since that tack it and tack it again has changed I've been using pouble stick tape to attach the stamps to the plastic sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

When I first started unmounting I used the Alene's stuff. I have some stamps permanently and forever stuck to CD cases. In other cases, whenever I pulled the stamps off, all the glue was left on the case. I was so discouraged about having to wait so long for the junk to try before I could use the stamps and then the glue issue that I quit unmounting altogether for a year. Got rid of al the Alenes and went to EZ mount and have been as happy as can be ever since. The other issue was laying the stamp down while using it and having it either stick to the table or pick up EP and lint. Ughh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Blue- Thanks so much for advice of using my sweatshirt to loosen the glue. Acutally I used an old towel and it worked perfectly. Now I have all of my stamps stuck lightly to the white board. A friend of mine is going to a scrapebook EXPO in my area and is going to look for the EZ mount stuff. For those of you who are still having problems, try what blue suggested. It really does work! Well I'm off to stamp!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again in all sincerity thank you to all for helping me out. Until my next little problem.................................... :o)
Reply With Quote Likes