Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've lost it...HELP!

Back in March, our basement, which is finished and where I do my stamping, flooded. First time in the 18 years we've lived in this home. Long story short, we battled with water from March until a couple months ago. We had to move all our stuff up and out to the garage twice during that time. Backbreaking, and heartbreaking. Fortunately, all my craft supplies and most other things were saved. However, we've been moved back in for a couple months now and I just can't get myself to stamp even one card. I don't know what my problem is, but I have no creative desire left in me. I feel so guilty with all those supplies down there screaming to be used, but honestly, I don't even know where to begin. I have not stamped a thing since the beginning of March. Anybody have any suggestions to get me going again? Do any of you ever hit a "dry spell"?

Thanks for listening, and any advice!

Sandy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

Hi Sandy, I totally understand where you are at. I haven't stamped since June (we moved) and I'm only just now getting my creative supplies out of boxes. i'm finding Christmas craft/idea publications to be highly inspirational right now. I love christmas so maybe that's why I'm so inspired. If you have a good book store nearby that sells holiday idea books/mags then I encourage you to go and browse through them. Goodluck! You'll be back to stampin great stuff in no time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandy

I've lived through the flooded basement (aka my stamping space) so I know what you went through!

Best advice I have - jump back in with the challenges. Find one you like (any or all!) and get your first card under your belt.

That said, I haven't stamped in over 6 weeks - too much going on. But I'm going down there tonight!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

yup find a challenge that you can do, and start there ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #5  

Sandy,

Sorry to hear about the flooding. I've had two homes that had water damage and it is heartbreaking. The fact that your writing about it means you really want to do something. Make your husband a "just because" card for starters - go from there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Get inspired in the SCS Gallery!

Starting back up after a long hiatus is really tough. I have to admit, ALL my creative ideas come from the extremely talented folks here. I search the gallery for cards using stamps and paper that I have and snag a few that catch my eye. I print them and then make my version of the cards. Try searching for ideas for a few of your favorite stamps!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been dry since my Best Friend passed away in May...I sit in the room and look, but have no desire to lift a finger in the direction of stamping...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sandy,

This works for me for sewing and stamping. I go to my work space. It's clean,neat and well organized. Then I pull out a few toys to play with. No projects in mind, no dead lines.....I just start playing with scraps of fabric, cardstock, thread, ink.....whatever. I'll try a new technique, and if it works out well I feel better. If it tanks, I just move on to something else. Sometimes just fiddling around can give you as much pleasure as actually producing a finished product. If all of that fails...... then I re-organize my area. Just little things, like my threads, or embossing powders......usually I discover something that has been forgotten, and then I'll want to mess around with that. If even that fails you, then just surf around the blogs and vicariously enjoy what others are doing. Even by just reading about your hobby means your're still engaged. And....you're posting here on SCS, so your interest isn't entirely gone.

You have just gone through an awful ordeal. It's sort of like after a long illness, or having surgery...... you just need some more down time before you're ready for prime time again. Don't feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I can relate.
My husband redid the basement for me, thought I'd be done there all the time.
I used to be into scrapbooking, now I've only made a handful of cards but not enough to do justice to all the supplies I have and to top it off I keep buying!

Seems like there's always something getting in the way. My son has been in 2 different accidents since then and I'm just totally in the dumps. I think our moods definitly affect what we do in life. You'd think when things get a little better so would your mood, but sometimes it's really hard to shake it.

Hopefully we'll get back in the groove.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandydittmerView Post
... Anybody have any suggestions to get me going again? Do any of you ever hit a "dry spell"?

Thanks for listening, and any advice!

Sandy

i would try some challenges! i LOVE the sketch & the color challenges the best!

i hope your MOJO returns!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

You guys are the best! It is good to know I am not alone in this. At the same time, I'm sorry to hear about some of your stories. Life can be rough sometimes. It's so good to be able to come here and know there are others who will understand.

I got some great suggestions from all of you, and I want to say THANK YOU to everybody who replied. Christmas will be here before I'm ready. Maybe that is the place to start. I'll definitely look through all these suggestions over and over again. This is not the first time I've hit a totally dry spell.....but it is the longest.

Goodnight all!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

It takes a while to get your juices flowing.I was a stamping ,swapping, craft store every week junkie 2005 - 2007.Oct 07 I found out I was pregnant and playing with my goodies took a back seat.I was busy shopping for baby and being sick;) I stuck my toe back in this winter with a few swaps and fell off again.

I just sent off my first swap since March and will start working on two more.Swapping always get me going. Plus it forces me to get my stuff selected and planned and actually get the stamping done by a date.It's sure to be one you might be interested in.Good luck!Hope you get to stamping again soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm also in a "not feelin' it" dry spell. I haven't made anything in quite some time and the project that I last did do was for a dying friend who passed almost 3 weeks ago.

I have an order for 2 dozen cards, and try as I might, I just can't get it going. I've looked and looked at the galleries and blogs in an effort to re-ignite the passion, but it's just not happening. I'm working on the order, but it's a real chore and no fun at all.

I need a magic wand and a SHAZAM to kickstart the mojo. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm with you, Karen. I don't have a creative bone in my body but I can copy really well. I don't usually totally CASE but the general idea. So, Sandy, search the gallery and a clean and simple card to start with and see if you can make just ONE card. Think you'd be on your way then. good luck.

Wanda

Quote:

Originally Posted by TozoTampa BayView Post
Starting back up after a long hiatus is really tough. I have to admit, ALL my creative ideas come from the extremely talented folks here. I search the gallery for cards using stamps and paper that I have and snag a few that catch my eye. I print them and then make my version of the cards. Try searching for ideas for a few of your favorite stamps!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

You are so totally not alone!! LOL. Dry spells hit all of us - I certainly have had my fair share.

What works for me? I find a gift to make and pick out a new technique or product to use in the gift - having a deadline and making it for someone else usually works for me. Once I get started playing with paper - my mojo tends to return. Maybe making your Christmas cards for a few select people first will help. One thing I've learned is to start small.. I make a gift yes - but usually a mini album of 1 theme for the person - not a big project cuz if I'm in a slump that just overwelms me

When all else fails - buy yourself a new item you've been wanting so you can play with a new toy.

Hope the mojo comes back soon! Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I've said it on other threads....I have a low mojo drive all the time compared to many here on SCS. I never realized until I started reading threads about how many cards everyone is making or how often they go into their stamp room or how many hours a week. Lots of people stamp every day! Me? I only make a card when I need one. Maybe only a few each month, maybe less. I've gotten into scrapbooking so I can use my stamps more often. I did do an album for my daughter...that's about it. I'm very comfortable with the amount of cards I create. That along with my monthly workshop and surfing SCS a few times per day is all I need. I think too if you start with Christmas cards, dive into a challenge or just create when the need arrives you'll be back inking up those stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I've been stamping for about 3 years now and have probably only made about 10 cards in my stamping room. What inspires me with stamping is that I attend stamping classes with lots of friends to eat, laugh, and share with. Not real sure I want to do it alone. Too much fun with others.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Know what you mean-- I am on an acquistion 'kick' - am buying stuff but nothing to show for it. I was talking to my daughter about this. Used our upcoming church bazaar to make some things to donate to the boutique. Also, challenged myself to use the scraps I refuse to throw away, no matter how small. Made some cards to donate to the 'Cards for a Cause' forum and just sent them off.

Right now, most of my 'down time' has been spent catching up on reading some books that have been piling up around the house. I've read almost 20 in the last 4-6 weeks. Take breaks to putter around in my craft area.

Good luck on getting re-energized in you craft room. Your hubby is sure nice to get your craft area available to you with Mother Nature not cooperating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Oh, I've hit some serious dry spells! My lazy way to get going is to re-create one or two of my favorite projects. Just the act of moving and stamping seems to kick-start the flow. Usually. Not always. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I am like that I join and Image swap and start to stamp images for it. This usually works. I love the actually stamping of images and thats part of the reason why i joined wish rak.
And I look inthe gallery and that always helps.
But by doing challenges or swaps that have a deadline- it is a big motivation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #21  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_PattiView Post
Sandy

I've lived through the flooded basement (aka my stamping space) so I know what you went through!

Best advice I have - jump back in with the challenges. Find one you like (any or all!) and get your first card under your belt.

That said, I haven't stamped in over 6 weeks - too much going on. But I'm going down there tonight!
yes, play the challenges, you will get lots of feedback from other stampers and it gives you a focal point as well, i.e. color, sketch, inspiration, etc... I bet this will help you get back to your beloved hobby!!!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 214 Likes on 192 Posts

I totally understand...I lost my mom, who was my best friend almost 3 years ago. Could not stamp or even get enthusiastic about getting anything out or even look at it for a long time. I started back by browsing through the galleries here and leaving a few comments here and there when I felt like it. I have some online friends here also that I chatted with. Everyone here is so wonderful and supportive. I finally saw something?? that inspired me to make a card. It actually felt good to get my hands dirty. Just by chance I came across a stamp I had bought and not really used. It said,
'Art washes away the dust of everyday life'..guess that inspired me too as I could just forget it all and make a card that made someone else smile...I really needed to feel that.
I love the cas challenges here on Mondays....quick, simple and easy. Maybe that would be a place to start???
take care....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

For all of us in a dry spell, sometimes we get stuck,and when that happens I make myself let my friends know I need them. May I suggest joining a group, search out a S/U family of friends. Go to a scrapbook store and make new friends and attend a crop with a make and take. Just a few suggestions to help with your mojo. Blessings to you all. Nana Janet
Reply With Quote Likes