Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to score cardstock

Can someone help me with the scoring process? I do not have a score-pal. A few years ago, I had a scoring blade with my fiskars, but it always cut the cardstock so I threw it out. Never got a new one. Thoughts?

If I use a ruler, what do I use so that it actually scores and doesn't just make a line? Something underneath?

And how do you get perfectly straight cuts and scores? I find that no matter how hard I try, my cutter is never 100% perfect. So, I can get a perfectly folded card either.

A friend gave me that ladybug score thing. But not sure what to do with it.
Thanks for any help!
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

well i believe the ladybug score thing is to be used WITH your cutter (if you have a blade paper trimmer). you put your paper in your trimmer where you want to score, then you put your ladybug in the tracks and score.

but kristina http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/ uses a ruler, bone folder, and she scores on a pad of SU! grid paper and she seems to get a good enough score...

i'm a scor-pal person though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I love my fiskars cutting board and my scoring blade, but before that i used a ruler and a compass or a run out ball point pen. i'm not very technical what ever does the job lol

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I use my bone folder. I have a fiskars cutter and it has a channel in it (where the cutting blade sits) and I line up my paper so that the middle of the card is going to be scored. Then I run the bone folder through the channel and it is scored. That method works for me for most projects also. anything more advanced than making a box or card fold and I wouldn't recommed it.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I'm another Scor-Pal fan...I've used the scoring tool w/ a Fiskars cutter as well as a Scor-It, but have found the Scor-Pal to be the easiest to use.

As far as getting paper cut straight...so much of it depends on your paper cutter. I never had any success with my Fiskars trimmers. For some reason they always ended up crooked, and being the perfectionist that I am, it drove me CRAZY! I have a Tonic Guillotine (purchased with a 50% off coupon from my LSS) and LOVE it. It was an investment, but it has been SO worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to use a metal edged ruler and a bone folder and it worked just fine (you can score on an old magazine to get more "give" in your work surface). I used the lady bug rotary scorer for awhile, but I never felt like I could give it the pressure I wanted to (without the wheel popping back into the bug). I recently received the Scor-Pal and it works amazingly well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am a fan of the Scor-Pal, but I agree with another poster, use a bone folder down the channel of your paper cutter, along the cutting groove.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I just butt the paper edge up to the edge of my guillotine cutter and then fold it over using the edge of the cutter as my guide and it's always straight.

But this would work on any flat counter with an edge or something else that is flat and has an edge to butt the paper up to.

Oh and I do have a Scor-Pal, this is just quicker and less trouble than getting out the scor-pal and bone folder, etc. I just lay it down, fold over and I'm good to go.

I do then run over it with my bone folder before I give it away, or use whatever is flat that I have on my desk at the moment.

HTH
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm not affiliated with Scor-Pal in any way, but I LOVE my Scor-Pal! I use it on every single card I make! Before my Scor-Pal, I had getting the sides to line up right - one side always seemed crooked, etc. You CAN use the scoring blade in your Fiskars cutter, and you can use a T-square ruler and bone folder like Kristina Werner does, but for me, the scor-pal is a must-have! Well worth the investment - AND there are tons of projects you can use it with. The Scor-Pal website (and there's a forum here on SCS just for the Scor-Pal) has lots and lots of great projects and directions!

Hope this helps!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm another one that thought the ScorPal was just another "thing" that people here were raving about and it would be in the 'unused' pile within a month. But hubby got me one for Christmas a year ago and I couldn't make a card without it anymore. It has to be on my top 5 list. And I have a lot of goodies but this to me is a NEED. Can't believe I ever lived without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a scorepal either. To score something I use my papertrimmer and my Martha Stewart bone folder. It has a fine edge and works great. I just measure and put the the cardstock in my paper trimmer and use my bone folder in the cutting groove. IT comes out perfect and straight everytime. AND I do not have to constantly switch blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I also had a Fiskars scoring blade go bad and start cutting. I got another one and it is fine. You do have to use a light touch on lighter weight paper. And of course, I agree that the Scor-pal is great.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes