Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Even though I have enough ribbon to wrap the moon like a cosmic Christmas gift from God, I am so cautious when I pull some out for a card.

ROFLMAO!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Oddesigns;18049595]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
Ok this is funny!! I do the same thing. I was raised by depression era parents so that is where I get it. I actually had to go through counseling for this!! QUOTE]

One indicator of this is how much scotch tape you use to wrap a gift. My dad taught me to use the tiniest sliver possible, and I cringe when I see people use a full inch at a time.

Maybe I need counseling, too.
Sue, I think this thread is very theraputic for all us "savers". Just reading all these posts has empowered me to make a real effort not to be so "stingy" with my supplies.

I saw a cute little piece in Readers Digest once about the old guy who had a box in his garage labeled "Pieces of String Too Short To Be Used." That hits too close to home, but it makes me smile.

Maybe we can all get a little better at using all our hoarded treasures.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Seems like a good time to join this thread. I am going on a retreat this weekend with my sister, and I am attempting to not purchase anthing, but to use my stash. I did use up bookplates and 2 rolls of ribbon making swaps. Swaps is a nice way to use things up, because you get other people's stuff, but you can use up large quantities of your own supplies.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Hello, My name is Pamela and I am a hoarder.
I have used some things...metallic brads and eyelets, rhinestones. But I tend to hang onto stuff. This year I made a "resolution" to buy only tools. I've done pretty well. I've only bought "a little" paper. I did have a K&Co breakdown during a big sale. But I'm back on the wagon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Even though I have enough ribbon to wrap the moon like a cosmic Christmas gift from God, I am so cautious when I pull some out for a card. Same with twine.

I giggled when I read this! And now all I can picture is the moon with a huge, multi-colored bow on it :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

The only thing I horde of my SU Cottage Wall DP. I love that paper and only use it for very special cards. I have a spare unopened pack of it.

My problem is I feel the need to have spares of important stuff LOL
I have spare CB plates including the C plate
In fact I have a spare Cuttlebug. When I read that these things break without warning, I waited for the Black Friday specials and bought a spare one for $40.
I bought a spare Swiss Dots embossing folder. It is my go to folder and would be upset if it broke .
I have quite a few spare things.

I seem to have a "shortage mentality" I am afraid when I need something the stores will be out of it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I used to save

[QUOTE=buggainok;18050465]
Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post

Sue, I think this thread is very theraputic for all us "savers". Just reading all these posts has empowered me to make a real effort not to be so "stingy" with my supplies.

I saw a cute little piece in Readers Digest once about the old guy who had a box in his garage labeled "Pieces of String Too Short To Be Used." That hits too close to home, but it makes me smile.

Maybe we can all get a little better at using all our hoarded treasures.
I used to save string and wind it in a ball. Once my husband saw me wrapping some string in a ball and he said string was so cheap I really didn't need to do that anymore. I also used to save foil in a ball too. That was in the 40's and 50's. It was common then. Once I started saving rubber bands just for the fun of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not used up anything....If I did, I would not have it and I may need it and wouldn't have it. It a vicious(sp?) circle. I would hate to be without something:( I hope this makes sense...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Even though I have enough ribbon to wrap the moon like a cosmic Christmas gift from God, I am so cautious when I pull some out for a card. Same with twine.

I see these tutorial videos where the person keeps the ribbon on the roll and just says something like, "Okay... so grab your ribbon and wrap it around your card like..." and she proceeds to just WRAP her ribbon around the card front as if it's just .... well, just ribbon! ;)

Then she makes her bow or whatever it is she's doing so crazily haphazardly with it and she has a lot extra (like three or four inches!) and just cuts it off. Now, granted... she may stash it somewhere or she may just toss it.

Me? I bring my card up to my ribbon spool on the wall. I pull out the ribbon to JUST measure it about 1/2" longer than the card I'm decorating. (You know... about 1/4" on each side to tape in back? ;) ) and cut.

I act like I can't buy more ribbon.

You'd think I was raised in the 20s and had to go to breadlines before I went to school!

Gah!
You are not alone!! I literally laughed out loud when I read this because you just described me to a "T". And I have more ribbon that I'll ever be able to use (especially with these habits LOL).
What is up with this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

I think I've actually gotten better in the 4 months since I posted this. Today I let my 5 yo DD use an ENTIRE package of rub-ons making cards for her grandparents. And I've been using those large pearl/rhinestone flourishes on LOs like they are going out of style. I even put TWO flourishes on ONE LO. I've been scrapping and using embellishments willy-nilly all over my LOs and you know what? The world has not stopped turning, my LOs look great, and I feel good flipping through my books looking at them or showing them to other people.

I also pulled a huge bin of stuff out that is going to my LSS as a donation. The recovery has been slow, but I think I'm licking this problem.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Yup. every scrap of a collection pack of Basic Grey except the cover sheet. AFTER I drove myself crazy looking for the rest of it, I remembered I'd used it on a project last year. By then I was obsessed with using it again on a current project and emailed a friend. A couple hours later, a brand new package was on my door step. I LOVE generous peeps who craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

I love it when I've used something up. It gives me the feeling that the money was well spent. However, I do have this problem. I found some American Craft ribbon at TJ Maxx. Each package was $3.99 and has 12 different colors in it . They had one package each of four different sets of ribbon. So I have 48 spools of ribbons in 48 colors and it cost me just $15.96. Lots of shades of blue, yellow, red, greens, etc. I cannot make myself open the spools and use the ribbon. It would take me forever to find all the different colors again -- I don't even know who sells American Craft ribbon! I just love having all the shades. I'm hoarding it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #53  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianneoView Post
I love it when I've used something up. It gives me the feeling that the money was well spent. However, I do have this problem. I found some American Craft ribbon at TJ Maxx. Each package was $3.99 and has 12 different colors in it . They had one package each of four different sets of ribbon. So I have 48 spools of ribbons in 48 colors and it cost me just $15.96. Lots of shades of blue, yellow, red, greens, etc. I cannot make myself open the spools and use the ribbon. It would take me forever to find all the different colors again -- I don't even know who sells American Craft ribbon! I just love having all the shades. I'm hoarding it!
I think I've seen American Craft items at ACMoore and/or Hobby Lobby. Most likely at ACMoore.
Reply With Quote Likes