Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone attended Stampaway USA

in Cinci, Ohio in the past? Or are you going this Saturday? What is it like? Thinking about going, should I?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Jennifer McGuire is teaching at it! You should go! I bet it will be fun--especially a class with Jennifer! She's so talented, and has such a fun personality!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

I've never been to Stampaway, but me and a couple stamping buddies will be there on Sat. Looking at the list of vendors and their websites, looks like it will be a good time. Plus, I'm going to try to talk my buddies into going to Stamp Your Art Out then Ikea and maybe Jungle Jims. It will just be a busy day.

I've been to other stamp conventions. Heirloom Productions has one every year here in Indy and I was in Vegas for last years Rubber Stamp and Scrap Expo. Heirloom usually has a pretty good selection and variety, but the Rubber Stamp and Scrap Expo was a waste of my time and money. I left after an hour and I spent less than $40.

Have a great time Saturday! Maybe we'll see you there. I'll be a redhead wearing a t-shirt that says "Rubbahs, I only enjoy them when I'm stamping." My husband says he's so proud of his classy wife.:mrgreen: I told him that I needed a new one to wear. I have several stamping tees but most of them stains on them. What a surprise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I went I think 2 years ago? It was nice. There were so many vendors there and some great demonstrations. I walked away with a bunch of samples and some fun products. If you've never been you should at least go once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Darn it! I didn't know about this and I have plans for tomorrow! Will have to mark my calendar for next year since it's not too far away....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

Prior to moving to Florida, I lived in Indiana and attended Stampaway for two years. If you get the chance to go, do it!! When I attended, there were two floors of vendors and a great selection of products. Go for it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Ragtop

I'll be looking for the t-shirt (oh, so funny). You have your day all planned sounds like alot of fun.

Jungle Jims is a great place to shop with so much variety, especially if someone you are with has never been there before. (You probably already know that)

Don't know if you realize there is an Archiver's in Mason, OH (Cincy) that is fabulous. To be honest I enjoy going there much more than Stamp Your Art Out.

Last edited by jent; 08-07-2009 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I went last year but can't this year. It's definately worth it. It's a nice set up and an easy to find location. Have fun!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I went in 2007 and in 2008. I LOVED it! I don't have much 'stamp show' experience but I can't imagine anything much better. Northwoods stamps had a great exhibit in particular. There's a wide variety of vendors plus some classes going on during the day. I'm sorry I can't go this year!

"All that glitters is not gold; all who wander are not lost"....Tolkien
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I've been a few times. Drove from Nebraska last time I went. I love it! Wish I could come with you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Another thing, pack a lunch, water, and snacks. The food isn't great and the line is really long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Waaaaa-hoooooo! I'll be there! We went last year and had such a great time we decided to go again! Hope you can come!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the best stamp convention I've ever attended and well worth the 6-hour drive to get there. I especially loved the Friday night preview party where you get first chance at seeing all the vendors before they run out of popular products. Northwoods does have a spectacular booth and is usually very crowded. ATC trading has been very popular in the past, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm getting ready to head out the door to the preview party right now! It's great--only 500 tickets sold! If I have money left, I'll be there tomorrow, too. Always one of the highlights of the year!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

3 of us are heading out bright and early tomorrow! I am really looking forward to it especially after reading all of you comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

We went today and it was GREAT!! This is a definate show to put on your calenders for next year!! You will not be disapointed. Great setup, great ideas and many nice make it take its and demos. Learned so much and can't wait to start creating! Ragtop where were you??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Margaritaville - I wish, Southern Indiana for real, but a Parrothead at heart.

Went today and it was fabulous! I mean, how often can you go to 49 stamp stores in 1 day? It's mind boggling! Went with the stamp club girls, Bad Sherry, myself, Bad Terri (sister), Susan (sister) & Cindi - and we did the same thing we did last year - before we were out of Cincinnati on our way home, we were already talking about NEXT year! There just might be some truth to the saying "There is a fine line between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS." All of us bought everything we had on our lists of "must have" and then some! The best part of our trip is when we leave we go to Cracker Barrel and dump all of our "loot" on the table for Show & Tell and then decide if we need to go back to pick up anything we think we just can't live without until next year. The best part was when 1 of the vendors asked Bad Terri & I if we were having a good day & we just laughed & said "How could we not be having a good time? We're buying stamps! We're in HEAVEN!!!!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 95 Likes on 51 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad BevView Post
Went today and it was fabulous! I mean, how often can you go to 49 stamp stores in 1 day? It's mind boggling! Went with the stamp club girls, Bad Sherry, myself, Bad Terri (sister), Susan (sister) & Cindi - and we did the same thing we did last year - before we were out of Cincinnati on our way home, we were already talking about NEXT year! There just might be some truth to the saying "There is a fine line between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS." All of us bought everything we had on our lists of "must have" and then some! The best part of our trip is when we leave we go to Cracker Barrel and dump all of our "loot" on the table for Show & Tell and then decide if we need to go back to pick up anything we think we just can't live without until next year. The best part was when 1 of the vendors asked Bad Terri & I if we were having a good day & we just laughed & said "How could we not be having a good time? We're buying stamps! We're in HEAVEN!!!!"
2007 It was awesome! And I loved the Cracker Barrel, too! Is that when the tradition started? I'm trying to remember our group. You, Sherry, Dawn L, Amber, Barb, and me.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 95 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh. Forgot to say that it is way better than our stamp show (Heirlooms) in Novi, MI.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Do they have it the same time every year? I didn't know anything about it until a stamp class last week and then yesterday DH saw it in the paper. He's working all weekend, so I can't get away without the kids. Super busy this weekend too, but I'll plan ahead for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Margaritaville - I wish, Southern Indiana for real, but a Parrothead at heart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
2007 It was awesome! And I loved the Cracker Barrel, too! Is that when the tradition started? I'm trying to remember our group. You, Sherry, Dawn L, Amber, Barb, and me.
Yes, that's when it started and we've done it every year since. Only this year the hostess made the mistake of putting us at a table in the middle of the room, instead of in a corner, so not only did our waitress think we were a bunch of crazed, babbling women, all of the customers surrounding us did too! But did we care? Heck no! We were in stampers heaven!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Stampaway was GREAT yesterday. I've been to every Stampaway & look forward to it every year. Although I've watched the colored pencil technique with gamsol for many years, this was the first time I tried it out while I was there (I bought the supplies years ago). I picked up such helpful hints that are really making a difference for me So that was probably my favorite part yesterday.

I got some nesties (labels four), another quickutz folder, many stamps and interesting doo-dads that you can only find at Stampaway!!

I thought the card ideas were especially wonderful at Impression Obsession . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhb1281View Post
We went today and it was GREAT!! This is a definate show to put on your calenders for next year!! You will not be disapointed. Great setup, great ideas and many nice make it take its and demos. Learned so much and can't wait to start creating! Ragtop where were you??

I was there! We got there around 8 and waited in line. Had to buy two of the grab bags for the Ronald McDonald house and had blast going through them while waiting in line.

I had scoped out the most of the vendors online before going so I knew several items I wanted. I got them all, plus some.

Me and my buddies had a WONDERFUL time and want to go next year but we want to go to the preview on Friday in addition to the Sat. session.

After the convention, we drove over to Stamp Your Art Out and bought a few more items. My buddies had never been there and was impressed by a "TRUE" stamp store. We decided not to go to IKEA (it was already 6 p.m.) and decided to get something to eat then go to Jungle Jim's. We wanted Italian, so we ate at The Old Spaghetti Factory the headed to JJs. We spent almost two hours in JJs. My buddies couldn't believe how big it was and all the stuff they had. We took our pictures on the "throne" and had a blast. If you've never been to Jungle Jim's, here's a link to their website. It's not just a grocery store, it's an experience:

http://www.junglejims.com/

I have to say that our two biggest complaints were:

1. It seemed that the vendors didn't have enough space to spread out which made it really congested and hard to see everything. This is one of the reasons we want to go to Fri. nights preview next year just so that we're not as crowded.

2. There were only THREE tables by the concession stand for several hundred people. We ended up (as many others did) sitting on the floor in the hallways to eat lunch.

Hope to see everyone there next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri'LView Post
Do they have it the same time every year? I didn't know anything about it until a stamp class last week and then yesterday DH saw it in the paper. He's working all weekend, so I can't get away without the kids. Super busy this weekend too, but I'll plan ahead for next year!
Yes - it is around the first weekend of August each year from what I remember. I have been wanting to go for a few years and have had conflicts so I have my fingers crossed for next year too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #25  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincistamperView Post
Stampaway was GREAT yesterday. I've been to every Stampaway & look forward to it every year. Although I've watched the colored pencil technique with gamsol for many years, this was the first time I tried it out while I was there (I bought the supplies years ago). I picked up such helpful hints that are really making a difference for me So that was probably my favorite part yesterday.

I got some nesties (labels four), another quickutz folder, many stamps and interesting doo-dads that you can only find at Stampaway!!

I thought the card ideas were especially wonderful at Impression Obsession . . .
Hi. Maybe you can give us some help re: how/what do we need to do to get the info next year early enough so we can sign up for the classes they have? I called Stamp Your Art Out this year and they said everything is done via snail mail on a first come, first serve basis. Is there some mailing list that we have to get on to get the class registration info? Thanks for ANY help. I've wanted to go to this for a few years now, but I never seem to get my logisitics right and am always too late to get into any classes :(

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 08-09-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad BevView Post
Yes, that's when it started and we've done it every year since. Only this year the hostess made the mistake of putting us at a table in the middle of the room, instead of in a corner, so not only did our waitress think we were a bunch of crazed, babbling women, all of the customers surrounding us did too! But did we care? Heck no! We were in stampers heaven!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!! Oh man...sorry we missed you guys this year!! Darn that Outlet Mall!!

Came home with a little $;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

That outlet mall had us going 10 miles and hour on our way back to Dayton after leaving stampaway!! The lines on both northbound and southbound were so backed up trying to get to that outlet mall. I am going to wait a good long time before I go shopping there. Didn't look like there was a parking spot left when we passed by there yesterday!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi. Maybe you can give us some help re: how/what do we need to do to get the info next year early enough so we can sign up for the classes they have? I called Stamp Your Art Out this year and they said everything is done via snail mail on a first come, first serve basis. Is there some mailing list that we have to get on to get the class registration info? Thanks for ANY help. I've wanted to go to this for a few years now, but I never seem to get my logisitics right and am always too late to get into any classes :(
I think that if you go the Stamp Your Art Out's website, you can signup for their email list and then you get info about next year's event as soon as it is available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
I've never been to Stampaway, but me and a couple stamping buddies will be there on Sat. Looking at the list of vendors and their websites, looks like it will be a good time. Plus, I'm going to try to talk my buddies into going to Stamp Your Art Out then Ikea and maybe Jungle Jims. It will just be a busy day.

I've been to other stamp conventions. Heirloom Productions has one every year here in Indy and I was in Vegas for last years Rubber Stamp and Scrap Expo. Heirloom usually has a pretty good selection and variety, but the Rubber Stamp and Scrap Expo was a waste of my time and money. I left after an hour and I spent less than $40.

Have a great time Saturday! Maybe we'll see you there. I'll be a redhead wearing a t-shirt that says "Rubbahs, I only enjoy them when I'm stamping." My husband says he's so proud of his classy wife.:mrgreen: I told him that I needed a new one to wear. I have several stamping tees but most of them stains on them. What a surprise!
OMGosh! How fun! I LOVE LOVE LOVE jungle jims!!! Sorry, I've never ever seen a post about that place and I had to comment.

Heirloom stamp expos are awesome too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnLView Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!! Oh man...sorry we missed you guys this year!! Darn that Outlet Mall!!

Came home with a little $;)
Sorry we missed you too. I can't believe you had to sit in traffic that long - but at least you finally made it. (Though it may validate that HOBBY/MENTAL ILLNESS thing - not many people would sit in traffic that long just to get to rubber stamps!) Next year just leave extra, extra early and then you can again be one of the crazed, babbling women in Cracker Barrel! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
I

I have to say that our two biggest complaints were:

1. It seemed that the vendors didn't have enough space to spread out which made it really congested and hard to see everything. This is one of the reasons we want to go to Fri. nights preview next year just so that we're not as crowded.

2. There were only THREE tables by the concession stand for several hundred people. We ended up (as many others did) sitting on the floor in the hallways to eat lunch.

Hope to see everyone there next year.
I went for the first time this year - awesome. I took as many make/take its on Friday so I could concentrate on my shopping. I did encountered several rude people who just couldn't obey the few rules that were in place. Some of the booths were crowed but in part, I think it had to due with customers who were just not thinking. I stopped at Inky Antics to redeem my buy 1 get 1 free and couldn't get to the display because people formed the check-out line along the display so I had to constantly ask people if I could look around them.

I have to say the thing I noticed about item @ 2 above is - even though there were only three tables, part of the problem was the fact that people abused the intent of those tables. I couldn't find a spot to eat at the table but it was due to the fact that some people were on their laptops and socializing - it's not a restaurant - just someplace to get a quick bite to eat. My thought was how long does it take to eat a hot dog, hamburger or pizza. Yes, the line was long for food at various times, but there were many times when there was no line. Maybe there were people who are on a food schedule and have to eat at a certain time so for them it may have been intolerable but when I encountered the long line, I just walked to a few booths and came back when it was shorter. Many people did pack food - I guess they were the more experienced conventioners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post

Go to the website - it has a link for Stampaway information - the full brochure is posted. They also had a booth outside the classrooms in the hotel and when you came into the convention center where you paid the postage and filled out your name and address on an envelope so they can mail it to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Stampaway next year I think is around August 15th. It seems one weekend later next year than usual.

I had a blast, as usual! Glad so many people think it is a great show! I know the owner of Stamp Your Art Out and she is the one who organizes the show. She puts TONS of work into it to make it a great show! If you've never been and you live relatively close by, you should try and attend. Great variety of vendors...Northwoods, Carmen's Veranda, Picture Show, Artful Illusions, Marco's Paper, Gary Burlin (for inks, markers, etc), Lost Coast Designs, Verses Rubber Stamps, Judi-Kins, and many more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConniePetertonjesView Post

I had a blast, as usual! Glad so many people think it is a great show! I know the owner of Stamp Your Art Out and she is the one who organizes the show. She puts TONS of work into it to make it a great show! If you've never been and you live relatively close by, you should try and attend. Great variety of vendors...Northwoods, Carmen's Veranda, Picture Show, Artful Illusions, Marco's Paper, Gary Burlin (for inks, markers, etc), Lost Coast Designs, Verses Rubber Stamps, Judi-Kins, and many more!
I actually got to see first-hand how much work goes into putting this event together. There is a whole team that puts forth a huge amount of effort. I've only been to one other convention and it paled in comparison. There is so much behind the scene preparation that no one even thinks about. I enjoyed being a part of helping over the last five days, but I am most thankful to be able to sit for a few minutes at my desk today. I know first-hand that the Connie's day did not end until 1 a.m. each morning and she was back up each morning at 6 a.m. Cannot wait until next year's and am already saving the spare change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, sorry, I guess it is not just Connie! She has loads of help from others, not to mention all the effort the teachers and vendors put into it being a great show! I just meant that I know how much she has invested in making the show a success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConniePetertonjesView Post
Yes, sorry, I guess it is not just Connie! She has loads of help from others, not to mention all the effort the teachers and vendors put into it being a great show! I just meant that I know how much she has invested in making the show a success!

:eek: Oh gosh, do I know how much of a vested interest she has in making it successful -- I only wanted to point out that so much work goes into this event that it takes a lot of time and people to get this accomplished -- mainly to those I heard complaining -- heard it all from problems with the room at the hotel to the food being overpriced at the hotel (I wanted to tell those people that if they had a complaint about the hotel, then to go tell the person at the front desk and if they didn't like the food prices, then go somewhere else to eat but decided not too). I think if people understood how much time and work was involved, they wouldn't complain. With a few thousand people attending, I'm sure there will be a few unhappy ones. Being my first convention, I was surprised at how creative and talented people are - I have been reinspired to finish and then start new projects. I cannot wait for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

mainly to those I heard complaining
I totally understand. Unfortunately, there are people who thrive on complaining!

I have only ever been to one other show besides Stampaway and Stampaway blew that one out of the water!

I think they do an excellent job every year! I am happy others enjoyed it to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default Stampaway

I was in Kentucky and decided to head over to Stampaway on Saturday- it was my first time and I did not take any classes. I was on the fence about going, as I spend a ton at CHA....LOL Oh boy....I found lots of really great things to buy......! It is a true stampers show- no cricut or scrapbook booths that I noticed......And, it was the very first time seeing Tim Holtz in person demo'ing Ranger stuff.....!

I stood in line for everything I purchased- it was pretty crowded- and there was a lady telling a vendor that the attendance seemed lower.....WOW really! I look forward to using my new stuff....!
Shelly Schmidt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,017 Likes on 870 Posts
Default Stampaway

PS speaking of traffic......I left Sharonville and headed to Ky....now keep in mind I live in the suburbs of Chicago- people drive really fast there- I told my parents when I arrived back that I think the speed limit is posted only as a suggestion.......LOL It was nutty!
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the update. I didn't make it this year but it IS on my gotta do list!
Reply With Quote Likes