Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ergonomic Pigment Inkpad for Big Fat Old Lady Hands?

Hi all,

I almost always use pigment ink and clear embossing powder for my stamped images because I love the look of the raised lines. However, I am having a heck of a time with my Colorbox Pigment Inkpad as it's always slipping out of my grasp, getting ink all over my clothes, my hands, my paper and even my walls when I get so mad I throw the damn thing across the room! Okay, I'm kidding about that last part, but I am mighty frustrated right now. I'm sure my sausage fingers are the problem, but there just isn't enough plastic housing on the Colorbox inks to hold onto when inking my stamps. I do like the shape of the Hampton Art A La Mode pigment ink pad, but am not crazy about the ink itself. So, I am in search of another brand that is more ergonomic to big fat old lady hands. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry, no advice, but I did want to let you know that I enjoyed reading this post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps try making a handle for your inkpads as in this youtube video -- Making a "Cathie Handle" - Buy at www.Scor-it-All.com - YouTube
My first stamping classes (actually all) were with Cathie Allen and I have used this handle on my Colorbox pigment pads since day one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Ranger's have a wider base. It seems easy to hold on to for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Your thread title and post made me laugh so hard. !

I am trying to think which Pigment Ink pads would be best. The only ones that pop in my head are Stampin Up's Pigment Ink pads. Those were retired a couple years ago.

Don't feel bad ColorBox gives me trouble too. I have tiny hands. I think ColorBox wanted to be a paint company at one time since most of the ink does go on your wall when the pad shoots out from your hands. I smacked my cat one day with Colorbox. This is why I make my own pigment ink pads now, lol. Less drama.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGoddessView Post
Sorry, no advice, but I did want to let you know that I enjoyed reading this post.
Well, thank you. That was very sweet of you, but I do admit to wondering if you’re of those people who is easily amused. :p:p:p
Quote:

Originally Posted by SherylHView Post
Perhaps try making a handle for your inkpads as in this youtube video -- Making a "Cathie Handle" - Buy at www.Scor-it-All.com - YouTube
My first stamping classes (actually all) were with Cathie Allen and I have used this handle on my Colorbox pigment pads since day one.
The very first time I tried this, I literally shouted: “No freakin’ way!“ because I was incredulous at how Cathy’s idea seemed to work so well, but I didn’t want to say anything for fear it was beginner’s luck. Well, I’ve tried it numerous times since then, and not only are my issues holding the ink pad completely resolved, I am actually able to apply the ink much more evenly on my stamps, resulting in far fewer stamping errors. Heck, I even think my grey hairs have disappeared and my saggy boobs have perked up a bit! : So, yes, Cathy’s solution is, absolutely, “Freakin’ way!” and thank you, thank you, thank you for posting it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Ranger's have a wider base. It seems easy to hold on to for me.
You know, just the other day I had ordered a Ranger pad online to see if it would be easier to hold, but it hasn't arrived yet. I have had great luck with Sheryl’s solution above, but look forward to working with the Ranger pad to see if there really is a difference. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Your thread title and post made me laugh so hard. !

I am trying to think which Pigment Ink pads would be best. The only ones that pop in my head are Stampin Up's Pigment Ink pads. Those were retired a couple years ago.

Don't feel bad ColorBox gives me trouble too. I have tiny hands. I think ColorBox wanted to be a paint company at one time since most of the ink does go on your wall when the pad shoots out from your hands. I smacked my cat one day with Colorbox. This is why I make my own pigment ink pads now, lol. Less drama.
I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard at the image of pigment ink all over your cat because I can sooooooo see that happening!

I did not know you could make your own ink pads. What materials do you use? I have seen ink pad replacements before, and could see how you would just use ink refillers. But what do you house the inkpad in?

You might want to try SherlyH’s suggestion above if you have to use another Colorbox pad. It worked really well for me and, in your case, has the added benefit of ensuring you will never accidentally ink the cat, instead of your stamp, again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I tried the little cat eye shaped ink pads and didn't like them at all. So I switched to full sized pads. Have you tried those?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rspetersenView Post
I did not know you could make your own ink pads. What materials do you use? I have seen ink pad replacements before, and could see how you would just use ink refillers. But what do you house the inkpad in?

You might want to try SherlyH�s suggestion above if you have to use another Colorbox pad. It worked really well for me and, in your case, has the added benefit of ensuring you will never accidentally ink the cat, instead of your stamp, again.
I have several different ways to make embossing ink. It's pretty simple. You only need two things ink refills and glycerin. You can use clear embossing reinker too. I mix my reinker and embossing fluid together in a small bottle. I pour a small amount on the Cut & Dry foam pads: Inkssentials | Cut n' Dry | Stamp Pad Foam | Stamp Pad Felt | Ranger Ink. I spread the mixture with a plastic paint spatula. DH & I both paint so we have paint spatula's around galore. You can use anything like a spoon, knife, gift card, etc.... I then store the ink pads in a small sandwich bag and they last forever and takes up less storage space. The ink that i have left I use for painting. That is why I mix it up in a small jar or bottle.

I have also used acrylic paint & glycerin. I also have used oil paints and glycerin. With oil paints you want to add a few drops of rubbing alcohol to your glycerin mixture. Of course Oil paints take a billion years to dry even after heat setting. Rubbing Alcohol speeds up the drying time. The effect is beautiful.

Lindsey (the Frugal Crafter) has this great tutorial for gouache and glycerin: Inkssentials | Cut n' Dry | Stamp Pad Foam | Stamp Pad Felt | Ranger Ink

I make my ink dauber bottle by taking an empty vitamin bottle, adding a piece of velcro to the lid and using the Ranger foam pads on top. I can store my extra foam in the bottle. This stopped me from hitting my cat upside the head with an ink pad, lol. This does not stop the cats from walking in your ink pads though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #9  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it is early and i thought, no way am i watching a tutorial too much thought. But I peeked at the Cathy handle, oh what a freaking brilliant idea, easy? yes. so smart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, how simple and it's free! I was disappointed with the Colorbox ink pads although I like their inks. I prefer ink pads that thick enough so I can easily pick them up and are heavy enough to not fly out of my hand!
I'm one of those that likes SU ink pads, they give me no problems and I like their larger size.
Reply With Quote Likes