Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone use a Silhouette cameo cutter?

Just curious, if you do? do you like it? recommend it? I mostly just do cards and have a cricut which I find too tedious to use.

Thank you!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the silhouette portrait and I LOVE it!

I didn't want a cricut because I didn't like the fact that I had to buy a whole cartridge for only one or two images I wanted or liked.

Each week the silhouette on-line store has a free image for that week. They also have images that are half-price. Most of the images are only .99 cents to begin with.

The only regret that I have is not buying it sooner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope you dont mind my high jacking your question.
I have been thinking I would like to get one also but wondered how much use Iwould get out of it.
I assume it has to be connected to a computer. How often do the blades need to be replaced and the cutting mats? What is technicalsupport like? And the most important question for me is 'will I be able to use straight away', as in is it basic in its set up or do I need to read an intense manual to learn the ins and outs first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I love my silhouette. I use it on every project. I've had it since October and I have not changed the blade yet. I love that you can just find an image online for free and print and cut.

For the mats I use the cricket 12x12s. They are sturdier and cheaper! I have never used tech support. Also I think there is a little bit of a learning curve. You have to figure out which techniques work best for y ou. I thought I would be able to use it straight out the box without reading any instructions, lol.

Overall it took me about a day or two to really get it right. I didn't read the instructions but did watch a few youtube tutorials. I do practice cuts on plain printer paper before making all my real cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my Cameo since Nov. 2011 and love it. Silhouette America's support is outstanding. They are patient and kind...they answered all my questions with a smile. Love the online store!! I do use their mats now...when I had the first Silhouette I did buy Cricut mats. I think the blade life depends on the kind of material you will be using. If it's just regular cardstock they last a very long time, but glitter paper and things like that will definitely dull a blade quicker.
What I love is that Silhouette has a few really good "stock up" sales through out the year and that's when I buy more mats and blades.

Here is their support page info for tutorials, etc. http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/resources

It is very basic to set up, if you know how to use a computer then working with their software is easy (it comes with 50 images, if memory serves me right) so you can cut within minutes of setting it up.
Make sure you join the yahoo group silhouetteusers. One of the gals has a youtube channel and she makes everything super easy to understand...her youtube name is cleversomeday.

hth
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks ladies thats brilliant information. Think I might need to print up information and stick all over the house to let my loving family know what I want for my birthday next week. Nothing like a prompt or two hey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtonmouseView Post
Just curious, if you do? do you like it? recommend it? I mostly just do cards and have a cricut which I find too tedious to use.

Thank you!!
To: Buttonmouse! I just wanted to jump in and say that as I'm mainly a card maker myself I ordered the Silhouette Portrait and it should be delivered TODAY!! Looking forward to seeing that big brown truck stop at my house. I had a cricut which really never got used, the price of the carts. and storing them too so with that said I sold it and bought the silhouette!

Happy Mothers Day to me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

You'll find a whole long chat thread with plenty of input and ideas over in the Tool & Product forum ;-).
Here's a link for you - Silhouette (Cameo) Chatter by Joan B at Splitcoaststampers

(I don't have one, but my DH has wanted a cutter like this for years!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Portrait since I'm mostly a card maker too and I LOVE it! I've had it since it first came out and use it all the time.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I obviously hinted enough cause a Sihouette Portrait is on its way to my house as a combined Mothers Day and birthday (next week) present.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Cricuit and Silhouette Portrait. I am so happy with my Silhouette. Love the free cut each week, the many sales they have and the idea I only have to buy one cut. My Cricuit gets used sometimes, but the Portrait sits out all the time and is used for both cards and scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes