Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2005, 08:22 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default demo loyalty???

I have been put in a position with 3 demos ( i am not a demo), that now i have gotten some people upset...and i would like demo and non-demo opinions please!!!
I was introduced to SU a year ago, and have since became friends with that demo. She has shown me almost everything i know, and helped me with getting SU party hostess bene's and just been a super kind demo and good friend. I have, since the first party, have met 2 other demos, one being a friends mom, and another is an aquaintence's sister. I have bought some items from these other women, small orders. I attend all of the parties, and always buy something!!
Here comes the predicament......I am about to have a huge SU order soon, and another friend of mine, a non demo, who was introduced to SU by the same demo i was..is now upset that i wont "share the wealth" with the other 2 demos. She doesnt see that I feel an importance to give the "big" business to the demo that has helped me for a year, and shown me alot, and been a great friend to boot!!!
Am i wrong? I asked my hubby this, and he felt the same i do, but he is angry that my "friends" seem to be trying to start a fight here....which i dont want!! I just want to stamp away happy!! lol I dont need guilt over who i buy from!!! lol
sorry this was long....i hope i made sense..i am just very upset and mad, and confused..i dont wanna make anyone mad....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

That's too bad that you are put in this jam.
I am a demo and I think what you have done is really nice, to buy from all of them. But to give the large order to the original demo is what I would do too. It's up to you whom you want to support and how you go about it.
Go with your gut!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Here is the I would handle this. I would tell the 2 friends..."virtually all I have learned about SU came from Suzy Q. She has taught me so much. Though I value our friendship I also value her efforts in teaching me. If I split this order up I would receive less HB so I have to place the order with one demo. I have opted to choose her. This was a tough decision for me but as a consumer you can understand my desire to go with Suzy Q."

As a demo, my thought is why should the one who has helped you so much not get the order? Also, if they are your friends they will understand that you shouldn't forego your HB and split the order up. You can get a higher level set, etc. for placing it as one order. If they don't understand the logic then blah on them.

Good Luck,
lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i'm all for demo loyalty! Personally, I would give my big order to the person that has shared her passion for stamping with you by teaching you things. She has taken the time to teach you, and most likely it is because she loves it and loves to share her passion with you.
I don't think your friends are being very fair, requiring you to share the wealth, just because you've attended events. you've actually placed small orders at those events which is a miracle because most of the time demos do not seem to get too many orders (at least it seems that way) at stamp camps and stamp a stacks. So you have already "one up'd" other customers with these other demos (am I making sense? :? )
I would place the big order with the demo that has shared everything with you...she deserves it!
Good luck!
Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #5  
Wish RAK Coordinator

Location: needs some retail therapy....now just to decide what to buy!

I am a demo. If one demo is your friend and has shown you everything that you know about stamping, by all means buy from her. I have customers that buy from me but also from other demo's when attending a party. I understand that they would buy when attending a party a friend of theirs is having even though it is with another demo. I would hope that if I taught someone most of what they know about stamping and were their friend, that they would support my business and buy from me.

I agree with your husband that you are in a hard place and people are trying to create a problem where there should be none.

Buy from your friend and reap all the benefits of a large order!

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:33 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Stamping is fun and Stampin' Up! is a great place to get wonderful quality products! I am a demo and I NEVER want my customers to feel uncomfortable, especially when it comes to your current situation. Purchase from the person with whom you feel most comfortable and have a great time stamping away!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

It makes sense to me as a friend and as a demonstrator, that you would place the majority of your orders with whomever you feel closer to or have more loyalty to. If your friend has been with you along your stamping road and you have a good relationship with her, I don't think you should feel guilty at all! You'll be supporting her in her business--and I don't mean just financially--by placing orders with her. Good luck with this!

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

As a non-demo I would place my order with my main demo, after all she has been there for you - if the other 2 are upset so be it - quite a petty little thing IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

You should buy with confidence from whatever demo you please. You are the customer and it is entirely your choice. Especially since you do make some purchases from other demos that help you and/or pay a fee to participate in their workshops, you should have a clear conscience about giving your big purchase to your favorite demo. The other demos (if they even find out) should have no issues with that and neither should your friend!

I am a demo and I know that my customers buy from ebay, their longterm demo, and a demo who does classes as well as me (their neighbor and stampin buddy) I have no issues and would never suggest that they feel restricted in any way. I am always interested in seeing what they buy - using it when we get together.

Jennifer

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:38 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Why does your friend feel it is her business where you spend your money? I hate when home sales becomes personal and things like this happen. I usually do what you are, buy my big stuff from the main person and still place orders at parties I am invited to. If she wants to not be your friend over this, she wasn't really a friend in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Hey Stampin Chic~

My personal take on this is why is someone telling you how to spend your money? That is what I find appalling.

I am a demo and have had a loyal customer that purchased from another demo. I was just grateful that she continued placing orders with me, (we had moved away from each other.) She appreciated my customer support just as you appreciate what your first demo has and continues to give you. Go with your heart, and it is no one else's business where or how you spend your money. (Well, becides DH. :oops: )

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

You have every right to give your business to the demo you want to! As a demo, I think it's great you feel a sense of loyalty to the first demo! You've been generous to place orders with the others, but the first one has shown you lots of great things AND been a great friend, how awesome for you! Go with what you feel and don't worry about what the others think!

There are a lot of demos out there and there's gonna come a time when customers cross paths with more than one. It's the nature of the business. We as demos hope we're doing our "job" in taking care of customers and teaching them new things. And if we are, our customers will come back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Not a demo here. I think you already have your answer. Dont go against your gut instinct. Bah humbug on anyone for making you feel guilty about ording stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with the previous posts. I also wanted to mention that for you as a customer, your SU benefits may accumulate better if you place one large order rather than splitting them up. So, it seems the best of both worlds in that you support your first demo and accumulate better customer benefits for yourself.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a demo, too, but I think IreneM has your answer, beautifully phrased, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

I am an SU demo, but I have a predicament with Longaberger, and this is how I handle it. I have 2 friends at work...the first one has been my demo since I've been here (almost 7 years). She signed up the second one. Now just about everyone goes to the second one for orders. I will order things from her through other people that have parties, but I still am loyal to the first one. I really feel badly that everyone here dumped her as their demo, so I make sure that when I do a party, it is through her.

I would stay with your first demo. You've already been supporting the other 2, but stay loyal to the one that intro'd you to SU! Good luck!

Oh, and my neighbor/friend/coworker and I signed up as SU! demos together last year - we try to split the wealth at work. I have a couple of customers that are exclusively mine, and she also has a couple that are exclusively hers. But we also have a couple that are really good about splitting the business with us. So, we're still friends!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

I agree too, and wanted to add I was just the Demo in that position recently. My workshop last week had two people attend that had daughters that demo'd from out of our immediate area! I totally understood that they would order the bulk of their items from their daughters, but came to place a smaller order through me to help their friend's workshop. The Hostess knew ahead of time that they would place a smaller order and still wanted them to come and help boost her sales. I think that loyalty is GOOD, not bad!
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

I would definately go with the demo who took her time and creative energy to show you cool ideas. I was in the same situation last year with CTMH. At the first stamping party I went to, the demo was fun, exciting, and showed a lot of fun and easy ways to make my cards unique. I had met her through a friend of a friend, so I didn't have a close relationship with her. Then a lady in our group of "Stamping Friends" decided to be a demo. I hosted a party with her, but it didn't go that well. She didn't show any techniques and, I hate to say it, but was boring. When I had a big order to place, I went with the demo who took her time and shared ideas with everyone. I still place small orders with the other friend when she has parties, though.

Erica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

You should order from the person you want to order from. Loyalty and business are things earned, and it sounds like the first demo has earned both. Why should you "spread the wealth"? In any aspect of life, I would not want to do business with anyone who was just interested in getting my money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I forgot to add:

I don't know what you consider a huge order, but I would suggest that you talk to the demo who has shared so much with you about signing up under her. What better way to thank her. OK.....and YOU save alot of money... and YOU get free stuff...and YOU get lots of perks of being a demo :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I agree with everyone--go with your mentoring demo! What I'm wondering (in addition to why your friend thinks its her privilige to tell you where to spend your $$) is how the other demos would even know about your large order to the mentoring demo?

If the other demos hear about it and question you, I would just tell them why your loyalty lies with the first demo. If they're at all professional, they should understand.

You've been unfairly put in a position that is nobody's business!

Rosie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I thank everyone for the input. I agree with all of you..it is petty, which is why i am mad!! And yes, it is my money, and friends dont need to be starting crap when i am doing the right thing and it is what i want to do.
I guess what irks me the most, is this friend that asked me to "share the wealth" wants the $ to go to the demo that "needs" the money, and not the demo that works FT and doesnt yet have kids. I think that is all irrelevant!! I am going with the demo that has shown me, guided me, gave me confidence that all my creations werent "crap" as i thought they were.....lol.....and continues to be a friend with me on a personal side with my hubby deploying..supporting me as a friend.
Sorry to get all fired up about this.....when i know what i will do...but i had to ask all you great ladies....you have calmed me down!!! hubby thanks you!!! LOL :oops: :lol: :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainerdgal
What I'm wondering (in addition to why your friend thinks its her privilige to tell you where to spend your $$) is how the other demos would even know about your large order to the mentoring demo?

You've been unfairly put in a position that is nobody's business!

Rosie
Thats the part that angered me and my hubby the most...
Thank you for saying that !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I think you're right in being loyal to your friend. She has invested a lot of time and energy into your hobby and it wouldn't be fair. I think most demo's realize that this is just the way it is. I have also attended parties of other demos and bought little things, but always make it clear to the party hostess that if I'm placing a big order it will be with my regular demo.

It's only fair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I think you are a very thoughtful person and you should go with your instincts. Order and support the demonstrator who has been supportive of you. The others would love to have part of your order I'm sure, but how supportive are they of you? Place your order and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Demo

I would stick with your demo that has shown you everything. You have been nice and gave the others orders and they should not expect more of you.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

You're doing the right thing. As for your friend who is causing you grief, it's none of her business who you place an order with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:26 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's my 2 cents.... Since you are placing a large order and order regularly and obviously like stamping (otherwise you wouldn't be hanging out here) why not sign up as a demo under your first and favourite demo and then order from yourself and tell your "friend" that she can order from you. LOL
Just my thought.
Kim in Barrie Ontario
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a demo and I would go with your original demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I would do what you are doing. I am a demo, and I attend other parties for other demo's, and always place a small order to helo the party hostess. It is the polite thing to do in respect of the first demo you used.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been in the thought processes of becoming a demo, but I can not make the quarterly minimum alone, and being a relatively small area here, with the 3 demos i know of, i would not want to take away their buisness just to make my minimums, KWIM?? I would only be doing it for a hobby, and i dont usually buy 100 dollars a month on stamping....but tax season is here!! yipeee!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am a demo and I feel that the original demo that has shown you a lot about stamping should be the one you order your big supplies from. If you are friends and she has taught you a lot, then reward her for her efforts!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have to not only add that I agree with the staying with the first demo for the huge order but also to add, that when speaking to your friend, to kindly help her to understand that you placed the order with her for your own loaylty reason and that the other two you place "courtesy orders" with when you attend a friends workshop in their home. It will be better understood all around if you have a moment to explain your issues to anyone who would question you over it.
I am BEST friends with a demo who is not in my line of support...we share mutual friends. Because of that I tell my friends who I consider to be her customers, "you are invited to my classes and my workshops, feel free to attend, however do not feel disloyal if you would rather place an order with janedoe". That way I have said it to their face that they are welcome to learn from me at my classes but if they would rather stick to ordering from "janedoe" I am fine with that and there will not be any funny feelings...the more open and honest you can be the less you have to explain later... but that is just the way I operate! LOL :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Scrappinchick,
I must agree with you. My primary demo is a good friend of mine who I've known for about 4 years now. I have another friend who recently became a demo and I've purchased a few small things from other demos. But if I'm going to make a large purchase (like I will with SAB!), I will make it from my original demo/friend without reservation. I definitely feel a sense of loyalty to her!
If I were in your position, I would probably let my friends (the ones putting pressure on you) know that it is a personal decision. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it truly IS a personal decision and none of their business.
hth,
d
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

scrappinchick,
You could create brand new stampers so as to not overlap any other customers. It is easy to create new stampers
invite some friends that don't stamp and let them play
or is there another town that you could drive to to do a workshop even just once a month.
or a stamper club - you only need 8 stamp club people and you are set for 8 months without having to worry about your quarterly.
ONLY 8 CUSTOMERS -that's all you need.
What is the population where you live.. it most be more than 8 women??
Really not much of a risk.
You get your first quarter free so no minimum till the end of June and then if you don't make it you have till the end of Sept and then if you still don't catch up.... NOTHING HAPPENS and you could sell any extra paper work to your current upline. and you keep your stamps etc.
I just don't see a risk here....? Come on you know you want to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

What ever is the most ethical and feels right in your heart! Unfortunately, you cannot make everyone happy! GOOD LUCK!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

lol !! i know i want to...but....lol

I live on an Army base. It is very rural, and even my great demo, has issues coming up with "new" stampers......it is an area that unless you drive an hour, you arent going anyplace. lol If I ever did become a demo, it would have to be pretty much my own $ making the minimums, and then, when I finally MOVE from here, :lol: , and go home...I can start creating new stampers...
but for now, I am very happy just stamping with my daughter, and a few friends. Well, maybe now, a couple of friends..or just my daughter......lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I have nothing to add to the wonderful advise you've already received but I did want to tell you I feel terrible that you've been put in this ackward position. Let us know how it works out for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

"i'm all for demo loyalty! Personally, I would give my big order to the person that has shared her passion for stamping with you by teaching you things. She has taken the time to teach you, and most likely it is because she loves it and loves to share her passion with you. "

I agree with this. The one who has been there for you when you needed it whether it was the first demo you met, or a new aquaintance who has been an inspiration for you - that's where my loyalty would be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

I think you have the right to buy from who you want, no questions asked. Very nicely tell your "friend" to butt out. if she is so concerned about her other friend making her quota then SHE should place an order with her!

Don't let people bully you!!! Would you shop at a department store just b/c her friend works there if you don't get an added perk? I am a demo & I also purchase from other companies. Buy what you want, where you want.

Good LUCK!!!
Jenna ;) #6202
I need inspiration!!!![/I][/FONT][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Likes