Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:03 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which company to demo for???

I've come to the conclusion that I want to become a demo, but am not sure for which company. I've been doing a lot of research but am still at a loss. I love the stamp images of SU, but love the prices of TAC and think that they would be easier to sell. I've been trying to dig up some info on CTMH but haven't really found anything. Can you guys help me out? I need as much info as possible about the three companies before I take the plunge!

- What comes in each of the demo starter kits and how much do they cost

- How much do you need to make to stay active

- Discounts

- How much do you actually make

- Insentives

- Can you earn free stamps? How?

Ok, I think that is all the questions for now. TIA everyone!!
TSG Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I'm a SU demo and I chose them because I loved their stamps the most. I would choose a company whose stamps were to your taste because those are the ones you will using for all of your workshops and samples.
I would contact a demo in your area for both companies and get some info from them. When the time comes, you will have to sign up underneith someone and they will be the one to give you all of your support so choose wisely!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Default TAC Info

Hi, I am a TAC demo. I chose them for their prices, low requirements to stay active ( $100/4 months), the commission (25%), low start-up ($150 for over $300 worth of products), demo discounts (40%) and the Angel Policy.

If you would like more detailed info, I would be glad to PM you. I am out of town at the moment to attend my grandfather's funeral, but will be glad to get you what I can as I can. Other Angels will hop in and provide as well!

The inportant thing is to find the right company for you. We all choose for our own reasons. Research and ask questions!

Michele G.
TX Angel 1869
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pm'd you about CTMH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I demo for CTMH and here is some info

- What comes in each of the demo starter kits and how much do they cost The Fall/winter kit is to be posted today 7/20 sometime - I have a flyer of the old one if you would like to pm me with your e-mail address. The kit is $150.00, plus shipping of $20.00
- How much do you need to make to stay active $300 per quarter, but CTMH has a junior consultant program that you drop to if you don't make your minimums and it only requires $100 a year
- Discounts - 22% on orders, 30% on personal business orders (doesn't count towards sales) 10% for Jr. Consultants. Plus monthly commission overrides

- How much do you actually make this is a loaded question If you put all your commissions back into your business then nothing - but you can do very well too
- Insentives Straight to the top - a program to reward great sales when starting with CTMH, Constant Campaigns - monthly specials for either hostesses or customers, Rewards your Way - This is a new program and you earn points and the pick your own gift from the posted list

- Can you earn free stamps? How? Yes - straight to the top

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micheleg36
Hi, I am a TAC demo. I chose them for their prices, low requirements to stay active ( $100/4 months), the commission (25%), low start-up ($150 for over $300 worth of products), demo discounts (40%) and the Angel Policy.

If you would like more detailed info, I would be glad to PM you. I am out of town at the moment to attend my grandfather's funeral, but will be glad to get you what I can as I can. Other Angels will hop in and provide as well!

The inportant thing is to find the right company for you. We all choose for our own reasons. Research and ask questions!

Michele G.
TX Angel 1869
TAC's demo discounts are actually 30%, which is still GREAT!!! But your discounted orders do not count toward your $100 minimum requirement. So hobbyists can order for themselves at regular price and get 25% commission back, and it counts toward that requirement. $100 is not hard to do at ALL!!!!

I LOVE TAC - they do not pressure us at all, for any reason! I love the stamp system, the images, the price - makes it very easy for me to sell them! I personally could not sell something that I wouldnt' buy myself of course. And I can't see paying for wood mounts after buying TAC's. That's just my opinion.

I think every company has images to fit every style. So I'd look further than that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I sent you a PM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I choose TAC because of their start up kit, quarterly requirements ($100 every 4 months) and the fact, they do not try to put the hobby demo under like some of the bigger companies.

I like the style that TAC is swinging over too and it fits my needs.

But, there is nothing wrong in buy stamps from who ever suits your style! I have, love and use them all!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Very good point Karen - no matter which company you sign up with, you can still purchase from them all!!!

Another thing to consider - how saturated is your area with SU demos? TAC? CTMH?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure, how would I find that out? I know how to check SU! but not the others.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBlessed5
Very good point Karen - no matter which company you sign up with, you can still purchase from them all!!!

Another thing to consider - how saturated is your area with SU demos? TAC? CTMH?
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU! info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knutsen24

- What comes in each of the demo starter kits and how much do they cost
$199 for the basic kit and there is an optional $50 add-on of scrapbooking goodies. You can see all the stuff that is in the kit inside the back cover of your SU! idea book and catalog. Much of it can be swapped out if you would prefer a different stamp set, but the stuff that you must get is all stuff that a business demo would use. You probably already have the basic black stamp pad, but if you are doing a workshop, having more than one would be important.

Quote:

- How much do you need to make to stay active
$300 every quarter

Quote:

- Discounts
For the stuff you buy for yourself, you get 20% off (when you sell to others, you get 20% of the listed price). Plus, for stuff that you buy for yourself, you can put it on a special order that will allow you to pay lower taxes on it. That really is only for stuff for you, though. I cringe whenever I read that people got something on a demo-only order through their demo. It sounds like a great deal, but is also tax-evasion.

Quote:

- How much do you actually make
Ha! *picking myself up off the floor* I don't make anything, but I'm not a business demo. I signed up because between my MIL and I, we make the minimums each quarter and so might as well get a discount on the stuff we buy anyway!

Quote:

- Insentives
Incentives vary. You get a check if you sell over a certain amount each month, the more you sell, the more generous the percentages are (this is on top of the 20% instant income, which you always get). Talk to your friendly local demonstrator to get all the details. It's one of the many things that, as a not-really-demo, I don't worry about. ;) You can earn free stuff by meeting various goals that SU! sets. Those are a lot of fun to pick out when you qualify!

Quote:

- Can you earn free stamps? How?
Yes, but it varies depending on what demo-related promotion SU! has going on. Right now, demos of a certain level can earn free stamps by selling a certain amount each month for the quarter.

Hope that helps!

Now, for the unsolicited advice. ;)

Sit down with a local demo from each company and get a feel for what they would be able to offer you as an upline. You sound like you want to make this a business and a successful and supportive upline could really help you, by giving you good tips on what works and doesn't work in your area. Some uplines have meetings with all their downlines to show different techniques which you can then pass on to your customers. Your upline is your Yoda. Sure, you can do it without an upline's help, but why not give yourself all the advantages (or as my dad would say, stack the deck in your favor)?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know this may sound like tough duty, lol, but maybe you should just attend a couple of workshops for each company, preferably with different demos from each company. Just so you have adequate exposure to each. That should narrow things down for you some, since I think it DOES make a difference if you like one product more than another. After all, can you picture yourself recommending product that you personally hate?

Then when you get your choices narrowed down, look at the buy-in and the maintenance requiremements. Give yourself a little leeway here, since a lot of demos tend to doubt their own abilities to sell enough to make minimums. I don't think any of them are sky high.

I really think you could make a success of any of them! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Do you have any stamping friends or relatives that have a preference for the stamps of a particulat company? You will probably be asking your friends/relatives to be your first hostesses. It will help your business get started if you demo and sell what your customers want to purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I have only been to SU workshops and I went to one CTMH workshop. I liked the CTMH stamps because they don't use any space, but if I were to become a demo, I would more than likely go with SU. I love their products. The only reason I haven't signed up yet, is knowing I have to meet the $300 quarterly. I can't afford to do this on my own. I have never been to a TAC workshop or even talked to anyone who has been to one or used their stamps so I can't vouch for them.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

[QUOTE=IMBlessed5]TAC's demo discounts are actually 30%, which is still GREAT!!!

Thanks so much for that correction. I am not with it today and that was mistake on my part. Think I will not reply any more until I am back home and have myself together.

Michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I recently signed on with TAC. What it came down to with me was a couple reasons: Most importantly is the style of products, ---you have to like the products because that will be what you are using for workshops and such. Plus can you afford to keep up your demo status while building a customer base? Angel policy? percenatges??? number of demos??? etc...
There are lots of reasons to join with each company but you have to be comfortable with the reasons you join. Hope that made sense????:-D

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am also trying to decide which company to sign up with (only thinking TAC or SU). I love SU's stamps, but TAC also has some great images, plus the new scrapbook stuff is cool too. On another thread people were talking about how SU demo's may be upset because of all the changes SU has made that is affecting their business (Not an exact quote, but it was something along these lines), so that makes me more hesitent to go with SU. Can anyone elaborate on the changes SU has made? TIA! : )
Kati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=Micheleg36]Hi, I am a TAC demo. I chose them for their prices, low requirements to stay active ( $100/4 months), the commission (25%), low start-up ($150 for over $300 worth of products), demo discounts (40%) and the Angel Policy.
July 31 is the last time you can get (40%) discount.
TAC has dropped this due to many Angels not using it.

Demo Discount is 30% off your personal order. And Demo Discount DOES NOT count toward your quarterly requirements ($100 every 4 months

25% commission is earned on Workshop orders or Customer Direct order ONLY!
Your TAC kit will contain all that you will need to get started selling and earning Commission.

Their is a company out there for everyone.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykat
I am also trying to decide which company to sign up with (only thinking TAC or SU). I love SU's stamps, but TAC also has some great images, plus the new scrapbook stuff is cool too. On another thread people were talking about how SU demo's may be upset because of all the changes SU has made that is affecting their business (Not an exact quote, but it was something along these lines), so that makes me more hesitent to go with SU. Can anyone elaborate on the changes SU has made? TIA! : )
Kati
Let me see what I can remember. I have a notoriously short memory, but I'm sure someone else will stop by and mention anything I've forgotten.

One change has been to the way the compensation is determined. We always get the 20% instant income, but as I mentioned in my last post, we'll get a check for a percentage of our sales each month, as long as they are above a certain amount. They changed the level where we start receiving those checks, known as volume rebates. It's part of a larger career plan change. They gave us lots of notice that this was happening. I think we could read the changes in January and they took effect this month. They aren't necessarily a bad thing, but they are a change. While they did raise the base level of sales you need in order to earn volume rebates, they also increased the percentages that can be earned. It should be a good change for the business demo and by that I mean that if you do two workshops a month, you will probably have no problem reaching the level where the volume rebates start. They've also added some additional promotion levels inside the organization as part of the restructuring to recognize the achievements of more people.

They changed the website at the beginning of the year. Because of my short memory, I don't even remember what the old website looked like, but maybe you had looked at both and so are familiar with the change.

We're now able to receive hostess benefits on a couple of different types of orders. We place different types of orders for different situations and we used to only be able to get hostess benefits for workshop orders. That has been expanded, which I've found to be extremely helpful, because I love getting the free stuff.

Most of the changes are positive, I think. However, change can be really hard for people, me included! It took awhile for me to get used to the new website and it took SU! a couple of weeks to get some of the kinks ironed out of it, for example. I haven't been a demo for very long, but from what I understand, there have been more changes this year than in most years. I'm not surprised that people are feeling unsettled. Geez, one of my cats get cranky if my husband feeds her instead of me. I think all animals are creatures of routine.

I don't know what to tell you about how you should look at the changes when deciding where to sign up. If you really, really hate change, SU! might not be the right company for you. They do fine-tune things a lot. However, IMO, they usually improve things. Well, that's how I feel after I'm done grumbling about a change for a week or so. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Other things to consider:
How much support does the company provide in the way of training and ideas?

Do you want a local upline, and can you find one you like as close as you want?

How supportive is the company of all levels of demos? What benefits do you get at the hobby level and how is that different from being a director?

Does the company cover hostess benefits? What will your show expenses be?

How much time are you wanting to devote and what are your expectations of your accomplishments in the company? Is that realistic with your company of choice?

I'm not trying to discourage you AT ALL, but as a veteran of several direct sales companies, I've learned that the more information you can get before you sign up, the less frustrated and disappointed you will be a few months down the road. Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree w/ the above post about trying to find out how many other demos are in your area, I love SU but this area is *full* of SU demos and I have several friends who are SU demos and didn't want to step on toes so it was a small factor in choosing CTMH for me, plus I loving to product helps

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateStamps
Does the company cover hostess benefits?
This is one I hadn't thought of. I know SU pays for the hostess benefits- can someone tell me if TAC does- or if it is out of pocket for the demo- ahem- angel?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
This is one I hadn't thought of. I know SU pays for the hostess benefits- can someone tell me if TAC does- or if it is out of pocket for the demo- ahem- angel?
TAC pays for Hostess gifts. workshops start at $100.00 and goes up. And get's to choose a Level A hostess stamp set
If you had a workshop of $1000.00 or more the Hostess would recieve 4 Level A hostess sets
& 4 Level B hostess sets. And 2 Level C hostess sets, and 2 level D hostess sets.
All pay by TAC Not you the demo.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=Micheleg36]
Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBlessed5
TAC's demo discounts are actually 30%, which is still GREAT!!!

Thanks so much for that correction. I am not with it today and that was mistake on my part. Think I will not reply any more until I am back home and have myself together.

Michele
No problem Michele. Deaths and funerals are a very stressful time. I'm so sorry for your loss!

(also sorry for the brief thread hi-jack!)

Ok, back to topic:

How to contact TAC to see if there are already a lot of active demos in your area: phone 785-820-9181 (If this was already posted, I apologize. I didn't read on down after seeing Michele's post).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Which company?

I would go onto the web sites for each of the three companies you are considering. Search for a demonstrator in your local area. Ask to see the latest catalog and talk to that demonstrator about your interest in the company and the product line. Ask about what that demonstrator invested into her business and what kinds of incentives she has earned. Draw a line on a piece of paper and list the PROS and CONS of each company.
Also, decide whether you're doing this to help support your habit or to make some $$$. If you're doing it to make some money, think about how much you want to make and how much time it would take to do that. If this is to support your habit, I would suggest you think about what company best represents the stamps you like to use.
I was a DOTS rep (b4 they became Close To My Heart) for several years and loved the products!
I believe you will find that the discount is about the same with all three companies. Look for local support for whichever company you choose. Perhaps local demonstrators get together to help build each others businesses and support each other.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

"If you know how many stamps you have, you don't have enough."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

- What comes in each of the demo starter kits and how much do they cost The Fall/winter kit is to be posted today 7/20 sometime - I have a flyer of the old one if you would like to pm me with your e-mail address. The kit is $150.00, plus shipping of $20.00
- How much do you need to make to stay active $300 per quarter, but CTMH has a junior consultant program that you drop to if you don't make your minimums and it only requires $100 a year
- Discounts - 22% on orders, 30% on personal business orders (doesn't count towards sales) 10% for Jr. Consultants. Plus monthly commission overrides

- How much do you actually make this is a loaded question If you put all your commissions back into your business then nothing - but you can do very well too
- Insentives Straight to the top - a program to reward great sales when starting with CTMH, Constant Campaigns - monthly specials for either hostesses or customers, Rewards your Way - This is a new program and you earn points and the pick your own gift from the posted list

- Can you earn free stamps? How? Yes - straight to the top
I'd like to expand on a couple of these questions.

As for the commission, base commission is 22%, but, the potential to earn more is there. With just a $100 order in a month, you would also receive another 1.5%. Make that a $300 month and it's another 3% override. Override commissions go up to 12.5%.

Incentives and free stamps....There's also the Rewards your Way program where you earn points for monthly sales. Those points can be used towards free stamps, or other great prizes like Brighton jewelry, Sony Cybershot, Epson photo printer, an Ipod and lots of other great products.

Earnings potential....the possiblity to earn is unlimited! I usually have sales from $2000-$3500 a month, so, I get anywhere from a 7%-8.5% override, besides the 22% that I collect at the time of sale. If you have downline, then your earnings potential is even greater.

My decision to go with CTMH was based on their more lenient sales and advertising policies. Since I have a disabled child, doing parties and workshops is not cost effective for me. So, I built my business online. Because this was my intention when I started looking for a company, CTMH was the way to go for me. We are allowed to sell and advertise online. Plus, we're allowed to run ads in newspapers and magazines. I have an ad running in Simple Scrapbooks this month. With SU or CM, that wouldn't be possible. I'm not familiar with TAC's policy, so, I can't comment on theirs. I did look at TAC at the time, but, when I was looking, I believe you had to turn over all money's to them, and then they sent you a commission check for everything. I preferred CTMH's and SU's way of letting us keep our main percentage. I didn't want to have to carry stock, like CM requires.

If you'd like to chat CTMH, feel free to pm me.

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Perhaps you can find two other demos that are with other companies and you can all share discounts and each of you will benefit in the end!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow! Everyone has such great advice! I've been thinking of becoming a demo too, and all of these details will definitely help me make my decision. Thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes