Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cling stamps no longer clingie :-(

Hi! I had added my own foam backing to some rubber stamps I had purchased years ago, the foam no longer clings to the acrylic blocks. Does anyone know how to fix this? or how to remove the current back from the rubber on the stamp to reback? I recently purchased a stampendous stamp that has the foam attached to a piece of plastic and the plastic adheres to the block, has anyone done that?

thank you in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have some of those Stampendous stamps with the plastic film, and I don't like them at all but I wanted the images so I put up with the film taking up too much space on my storage panels. You can trim the film around the image, but then you are going to have to put some sort of tacky glue on the back of the stamp or it won't stick to your blocks (I speak from experience ;-)!).

Hard to say why your clings are not clinging. Did you use a good cling foam like EZ mount? And have you tried washing down the cling? Sometimes cling just gets so dusty and full of small bits that it stops being clingy. I won't insult you by asking you if you have washed your blocks. I am assuming you already tried that.

I have never removed cling foam, but someone here will no doubt be able to tell you how. I wonder if you could just put tacky glue (like Tombow Mono Multi or Aleens Tack It Over and Over) on top of the cling foam instead of having to remount. Again, someone will no doubt know that as well.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say about removing cling foam myself. It's a good thing to know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I started putting all my unmounteds on cling foam a number of years ago, maybe 10 or so. I have noticed with many of the oldest ones, the foam seems to have 'cupped' on the stamps, and does not hold the blocks/storage sheets as well as it did. I also found that with a lot of the old ones, the foam peeled really easily off the stamp, so it seems to lose that sticky over time too.
You can remove the foam if it doesn't peel easily, but its hard, unpleasant work! Been there, done that. It pulls off in little bits. You could try the microwave trick, about 10 seconds at a time, as that seems to loosen the glue that holds stamps to wood blocks, so it should work on this too. I took a lot off wood mounts this way. I've stopped using cling mount now, and have kept any I've been able to get the foam off, and new purchases, as bare rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read anyone else's, but what I did to mine was I took some tac it over and over and thinned it with water by 50%. I brushed a light coating on the back of it and let it dry over night. Works like a dream.

The same formula 50% water 50% tac it over and over and use it to resurface my cricut and silhouette mats. Works like a dream VERY VERY cheap too.

I have actually removed a bunch of my stamps from the blocks by heating them slowly then placing the plastic picture image from the wood block onto the back of the foam. Then I coat it with the tack it over mixture and its great. There is a video on Youtube that I found a lady who did this and its fantastic. I do recommend the 50% water in the glue though otherwise it's hard to peel back off and could rip the foam up.

Here is a video, it's not the one that I originally saw, but it's the same technique except she uses full strength. I wouldn't recommend that as it gets really hard to pull off of the block sometimes. I hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjUU1HdBo4
Reply With Quote Likes