Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Envelope ???

I have never ordered SU's clear envelopes before, but I think that I would like to get some. Can you tell me about them? Are they re-sealable? Do they hold a card that has layers and embellishments (or is it a tight squeeze)? Thanks for your help.

Rachel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I love the clear enve. they are resealable (to a point of course) and they can hold a card with several layers, eylets and ribbon. The only problem is that some Post Offices make you pay extra postage, just try it and see what happens. I love them 'cause they are cheap and they show off your masterpiece so well!

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

You can fit a thick card in them. You must make sure that you card is not too wide or the envy. will tear. They are not what you would call resealable. Once you stick the envy. to itself it is pretty well stuck. You might be able to pull it back up carefully if you really need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I love the clear envies. I use them more often than the regular envelopes. Nothing better than seeing a cute card in a stack of bills!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I haven't had to pay extra postage on clear Envies but the one's i have are real sticky so not sure how easy they would be to reuse. I bought the Colored one's tho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think the post office is consistent in when they charge extra postage. I received two birthday cards in clear envys (on separate days). On one I had tdo pay .12 extra and the other, no extra. Go figure.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Yet another Yeah! for clear envelopes, they are such a treat for the recipient (and the postal workers handling them).

I brought mine in to my local PO and the clerk said as long as the weight and measurement was within limits there was no extra charge. Since that seems to differ on location I would just bring one into your local PO to verify.

-Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I like to send cards in these. I have never paid extra postage. I put my card in with the front facing the flap. Then I use a printer label on the outside for the address. I have had some open easier than others. I think it depends on the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I just mailed 3 cards out today in clear envies - I love them!! I actually write my return address and the receipients address on the back of the card, put the card in, and seal it on the same side where the addresses are written. I have never had to pay extra postage. Unless it is over the weight limit, you shouldn't have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Are you guys talking about paying extra postage because of the clear envelope itself or because of the weight of the card inside? It seems strange that they would charge extra just for the envelope, because it's the size of a regular invitation envelope. My upline always uses them to send us cards and I've never noticed them needing extra postage (of course, that's here in Texas, mind you).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay, it sounds like SU's clear envelopes would work for sending cards in the mail. Now I have another question? I need some for putting a card and an envelope in also (for selling or giving as gifts). Do you know where to get them?

You guys are all so awesome.

Thanks,
Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelbenj
I need some for putting a card and an envelope in also (for selling or giving as gifts). Do you know where to get them?
http://www.clearbags.com

They have a great selection and good prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

The clear envies are relatively easy to open/reseal. The colored envies are almost impossible to get open once they have been sealed.

I love the clear envies and use them all of the time. I haven't needed extra postage either and they usually try to gouge us CA folks any way they can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Doesn't the SU catalogue mention that sometimes you have to pay extra postage? I thought I had seen that before--- but I don't see why as they are the same size and so long as they are in the same weight class, it should be fine.

Oh well--- they are so much fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

If any of you are using the square envelopes, I think there is an extra charge for those since they are not standard size (whether clear or not). I just bought the regular size clear envelopes but haven't tried them yet!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurelstamper
Doesn't the SU catalogue mention that sometimes you have to pay extra postage? I thought I had seen that before---
Well, I thought that the ones that are listed as requiring extra postage were just the extra large and the square envelopes, and not the clear. However, in the catty, both the clear and colored translucents have little asterisks by them noting that they require extra postage. Very interesting, but not in my state, haha. (Now watch, I'll send one of these down the road and get scolded for not using enough postage. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

to answer Rachel's question--yes, you can fit a card and an envelope in without any trouble. I've done this for selling them. I use a small removable label to close the flap and that's where I wrote the price.
HTH!

Erica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I've had to pay extra for the clear envelopes. The PO said it was because they had to be hand stamped?? But there has been other times that they didn't require more postage. I stopped using them to mail, now I only use them when I'm giving the card directly to the person.

on a side note they're great to use as treat bags with a card topper if you're out of cello bags!

Thanks
Stacy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clear envelopes are subject to a nonmachinable surcharge because they are plastic - see info below from www.usps.com that lists other items that are considered nonmachinable.

My experience has been that if a card is flat, without embellishments that stick up, it will go through machine processing, but if it has eyelets etc. the machine will kick it out. Alternatively, a human sorter could identify it as plastic & kick it back for additional postage. The surcharge is 12 cents for a card.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/c050.htm#Rau94243

2.2Nonmachinable Criteria

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see C010.1.3 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, or enclosed in any plastic material.

c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, or loose keys or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven (see C024.18.0).

e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.

h. Self-mailers with a folded edge perpendicular to the address if the piece is not folded and secured according to C810.8.2.

i. Booklet-type pieces with the bound edge (spine) along the shorter dimension of the piece or at the top, regardless of the use of tabs, wafer seals, or other fasteners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default clear envelopes...

I'm a stamper too, and I love using the clear envelopes when I make cards to mail.. I work at the post office and run the machine that CANCELS the stamps on the mail.... I see these envelopes ALL the time. You have to remember that 99% of the mail IS MACHINED., that is to say, that it is run thru machines that roll ("softer than BEND) mail this way and that. If you're using embellishments that stick out or that are hard, or that you DON'T want to run thru machines, then pay the extra .12 cent sur-charge so they'll be manually cased and not run thru machines. Believe me- some of these things don't make it thru the machinery they have to go thru. Rule of thumb that I use: Does this card BEND? and, do I WANT it to BEND and twist thru machinery???? NAH!!!! Put the 12 cents extra on it and make sure you write NON-MACHINABLE on the front of it. It's WORTH it, believe me! I've seen enough mangles ones to know!!
-Sally
Mail Handler and Happy Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Default clear envelopes

I'm a mail handler and run the machine that cancels the stamps on the mail. I see these clear envelopes all the time coming thru. 99% of letter mail is run thru machinery--do you want your nice card with all the nice embellishments run thru machinery?? I sure don't when I do my cards!! I've been with the PO for 15 years, so I see these all the time. Depends on the clerk- if it's considered non-machinable, it'll get tagged for the surcharge amount for non-machinable mail for 12 cents. I make cards and send them all the time. I don't want MINE run thru machinery so I just automatically put the surcharge on them and make sure I write NON-MACHINABLE right on the front of the envelope in a marker. They then are tagged for manual handling from that point on.
-Sally
Mail Handler and Happy Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default clear envelopes

Oh, and... just so you know.... my machine nor any that I know of... will "kick" out cards with eyelets on it!!
If it's pretty THICK and won't run underneath my roller, THEN, it'll kick it out.
_Sally
Reply With Quote Likes