Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default card storage categories

This is my first time to start a question. We will see how it goes.

I like to keep sample ideas of the cards I make. This then becomes a handy reference point for when I need to make a card to send out and I am 'brain dead'. I currently have categories for the different holidays, plus a theme section which includes sections like Transportation or Birds, etc. The area I am having trouble with is when I make a card that features designer paper and could then have any kind of message such as Thank You or Get Well, or other message.

Does anyway keep sample cards and if so, how do you sort them?

Thanks ahead of time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Good question!

I keep a record of what I make-either the prototypes or I take pics for the computer. I do it by year. This way I can go back and remember something I learned to do or not to do. And see if I am improving which is a nice psych lift. And avoid duplicating when I dont want to. I dont have lots of them yet...I may have to change it as time goes on.

I also have samples in my techniques directions book as I am visually oriented. I just staple it to the page. It's scary how many times I may have to go back and re-read directions over time. (or explanations of what a product does) eek. That wont be a finished card, but likely just a postcard with a sample of the technique.

I might call that category you are talking about "all purpose" b/c that's what you described-a generalized design you could put any of a number of sentiments on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,135 Likes on 512 Posts

I don't have anything like this, but I do take a picture of every card I make - I guess my blog is my 'sample catalog'. Others use Pinterest to keep track of designs and collect ideas.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm like Dini, I photograph my cards for my blog, so I have them on my PC as well, and other than that I use Pinterest. On my PC, they are kept in folders which may be named for the reason( birthdays etc), or may be in a second folder if it was a particular technique, or stamp brand. On Pinterest I have many, many pages-by manufacturers,Reason- birthday/male/ etc etc. Christmas is segregated into sub-types- bauble/trees/santa and so on. I also have pages of my own work by year. There are technique pages- CAS,Embossing, scenic stamping and so on. I try to keep my pages to a max of 200 ish pins, that way looking through a section is more manageable. It does mean I end up with more pages, but I've seen pages on there where the pinner has a thousand or more pins to a page. No-one is going to scroll that far down to see early pins, I'm sure.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 05-17-2016 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

I also photograph everything. so, after the photos are uploaded I do have category folders on my hard drive they are saved under. for me I sort the photos by what it is a photo of, Christmas ( which includes anything winter), Floral, gift cards (and holders), critters, people, things. (dt work) etc. I am more likely to duplicate a technique than an arrangement of paper/color prints.

but, for the actual finished cards I find that I hardly ever do "blank" no sentiment cards so, the ones I do have on hand are stored together. I tend to keep my finished cards in rows standing up inside vintage suitcases. ( I have three being filled or refilled at all times) I have an assorted basket (mostly birthdays) of cards at work because, people know I do this and will swing by my office and buy them sometimes. ( I also donate some and do a craft booth once a year at a local schools fundraiser) for cards I don't personally mail away.

I guess it depends on how you look at your finished pieces, do you go finger cards on hand or look at your photos?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Photograph when I think of it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I rarely have extra cards made and have a calendar/schedule of birthdates or events that I want to make cards for. I then photograph and store on my computer by year. I keep trying to get a few cards made ahead of time, or make 3-4 of the same card at a time to have on hand but somehow it does not happen! I am not very good at mass producing until I get started with Christmas cards. I try to make 30 or so and then the rest are purchased. I usually pick a couple of designs I want to do by looking at Pinterest and getting all the supplies together. Or I have a stash of Christmas paper & embellisments that I just dig into and create whatever.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I photograph my cards, but haven't gotten around to organizing them. Someday - Ha Ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I photo my cards, but cant bear to get rid of cards thatt other card makers have sent me. They are becoming a storage problem. I know that each one has been designed especially for me for an occassion. I dont do swaps and only challenge myself but do not submit to challenges. The non creative procedure is frustrating to me.
As far as ideas for future cards-- I use pinterest and a technique card file system. If I see an idea on line, at a show, in a blog or magazine, I make a quick sample of one small idea on a technique card with a few notes as to procedure. I make many cards as I am a fechnique junkie. I package piles of them, give as gifts and donate them to charities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

P.S. I even send some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I photo my cards, but cant bear to get rid of cards thatt other card makers have sent me. They are becoming a storage problem. I know that each one has been designed especially for me for an occassion. I dont do swaps and only challenge myself but do not submit to challenges. The non creative procedure is frustrating to me.
As far as ideas for future cards-- I use pinterest and a technique card file system. If I see an idea on line, at a show, in a blog or magazine, I make a quick sample of one small idea on a technique card with a few notes as to procedure. I make many cards as I am a fechnique junkie. I package piles of them, give as gifts and donate them to charities.
Please would you explain how you make the technique card and what your technique card file is like? I am picturing doing a new technique on a card front then stapling that to a 5x8 file card (or half a sheet of card stock), with the explanation of how to do the technique written on the rest of the 5x8 card (or card stock).

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it has to be. i want so much to have a system for ideas, but I don't seem to be able to get anything together that actually works. TIA!

Carolyn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually scan my cards into the computer as I finish them. I put about 6 on a Word page and then print the page and put it in a protective sleeve and into a binder. I label each with the name of the person to whom I sent the card so as not to send the same card again. These are usually categorized by year since I scan them as I make them. This is not the greatest way to organize them as I have all categories mixed together. It seems to work for me. I keep samples of the ones I really like, so I try to make at least two of everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Default Technique cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcw519View Post
Please would you explain how you make the technique card and what your technique card file is like? I am picturing doing a new technique on a card front then stapling that to a 5x8 file card (or half a sheet of card stock), with the explanation of how to do the technique written on the rest of the 5x8 card (or card stock).

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it has to be. i want so much to have a system for ideas, but I don't seem to be able to get anything together that actually works. TIA!

Carolyn
Carolyn, I am on a get away right now. Upon return I will photo and post some pictures of my technique cards. Basically, I take a piece of card stock or my cheapy stuff A4 size and glue or add a sample with minimal instructions to remond me. Very basic. For example if it were a stamping technique like color lifting, i would glue a not so perfect leftover from the technique onto the card stock with a title and how to do list. If it were a fold ir a bow or tag idea, I would make one from scraps and staple or glue it on to the card. Thee point being, just enough to remind me what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 524 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm mostly like Eloise. Photo. Upload here. Store in folders on my computer by year.

I am going to start tagging my photos so that I can search by any tag.

I used to keep samples. But those take up space and I figured why keep them since I have photos. So I send them all. I also like to make more than I send so that I have choices and I can send extras out or share.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

YES!! I make a sample card front to see how things look together. I write the recipe on the back and suggest changes to make when I make about 4 to 6 real cards to send. Sometimes I keep it the same and sometimes I change it quite a bit....including the main stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also take pictures of each card on my phone and upload to my Pinterest board. I give or sell them and don't keep cards around just as samples. I have enough stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2016, 03:06 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Yes, I make a sample with the recipe written on a piece of construction paper cut to the size of the card. I keep all my samples and the instructions standing up in a small plastic container. All my recipes have a number on them. I write in a notebook the recipients name along with the stamped message inside or if I should happen to write a message along with the number of the card. The number consists of the year and the numerical number. For example, a card might be 2016-10. This way hopefully I won't use the same stamp two years in a row for one recipient :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I keep most of the cards I have made in classes. They are great inspiration for me. Cards that I have made and sent out get photographed first and then loaded onto my computer. They are done by year so I have an easy way of seeing my cards. I always make notes of techniques and they are kept in a binder for reference as well. I have a blog that I plan to use for others to see my work. Pinterest and Splitcoast is also a great place to upload your cards to and keep in a safe place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

First, congratulations on being so organized! I do keep cards just for inspiration but that could be an interesting fold, color combo, technique, or a certain stamp set. At this point I just have them all in a ziplock Baggie in a drawer.

Since you already think in terms of "featuring designer paper" and you keep them blank to add sentiments as needed; why not have a category like " Feature DP" ? Or "blank"?
Or even TBA ( to be announced, like on the tv schedule). As long as it makes sense to YOU, and how you mentally sort and categorize your creations it will be useful going forward when you want to check out your samples for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

I used to keep an actual sample of every card I made with the colors, sizes, inks, recipient, etc. used. I had them in 12- 4" binders that were bulging at the seams before I decided to scan/photograph them all into documents by theme on my computer. I recorded the date and who it was sent to along with all the all the other information. Samples were given away as the process progressed. It took me more than 2 years to do all the cards I had saved. Now I continue keeping each card I make on the computer and can refer to it as needed. It has been a valuable resource for me and takes up no precious space in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes