Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bible journaling

I have been asked by some ladies at my church to join a bible journaling group they are starting. I have been looking at journaling bibles but am still confused as to which one to buy and am wondering if some of you ladies that are already doing this would like to share the pluses and minus of the ones available. I am still trying to decide if I should get single column or regular double column. I've read that the single gives you more space in the margins to work with but am assuming that they would the thicker and heavier.

My second question is about page prep, how often do you really do this instead of just "going" for it and when you do do you prefer clear gesso or matte medium?

btw, I was going to ask my questions in a different area of SCS but thought it would get more views here and there might be other stampers considering giving bible journaling a try but have been hesitant.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't use gesso as a prep, too long to dry IMO. Look for a Bible with wide side margins, print large enough you can read it and a sturdy cover.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Lots of thoughts, links, suggestions, test pages, etc. in my blog post here:

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Bible Journaling - getting started

I don't prep my pages, but I have decided to only use dry mediums that allow me to still read the text... those are listed in that blog post as well.

I like the single column - especially in the poetic books there's lots of room for artwork! Happy to answer questions if I can.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

There are some gorgeous samples here if you want inspiration - the one by junior TX is amazing

Stampin Up! Gallery: Bible Art Journal Pages - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the answers and the links, I will definitely be spending some time at your sites after I get my bible. Actually Dini and Understand Blue you were both already on my "to do" list of inspiration to check out, will probably be sharing your sites with the other ladies. Of course I actually found a bible I would love to buy and use, a New Living Translation version. Wouldn't you know it doesn't come out until February. Maybe I will journal in one of those next, ummm wonder how long it will take me to finish the first one.

None of the other 3 are stampers...YET! They are very excited to try out my stuff when it's my turn to have them to my house. Oh my, what have I gotten myself into ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot of Bible Journaling, and I have had a lot of journaling Bibles. The best prices for the Bibles are usually found on Christianbook.com but with that said, it's hard to see the true font size. Some of the Bibles have tiny, tiny fonts. Search on their site for "journaling Bible" and "wide margin Bible." You should find a lot to choose from.

Because I also do a lot of mixed media work, I personally do not find gesso to work for my Bible pages. I sometimes use Ranger matte medium. Works amazing. It will curl the page a bit but once I bet my page done, it usually works itself out. I have tips and things on my blog at times. There is a link to my pages in my signature below. Hope you find it helpful. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am so happy you posted this here. I have just started Bible journaling and didn't know there was a section of SCS for it. I have found that most of the bibles have small print and very thin pages. I prepped one of my pages with gesso and didn't like it at all. I have decided that if I have bleed through it just isn't going to bother me. I am one of those that don't want to cover up my words... I want them to show through. I have used some markers (not copics) and some colored pencils. I also use my SU inks on pages. Now.... I'm off to look at the Bible art here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bible journal -- What a wonderful legacy to leave to your children!
I don't Bible journal, but if I did, I'd make sure to do it in two Bibles, one for each of my grown children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #9  

I'm happy you're back, Patter!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'm happy you're back, Patter!
Agh, thank you sweet Dini! It's good to be back. I am an empty nester officially now so I have more time on my hands. So good to see Bible journaling and mixed media have made it over here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on Ranger matte medium, Patter. I haven't tried this yet, but think I will have to in the future.

By the way, to the OP, if you are a pinner on Pinterest, there are some really amazing samples there, including the lovely ladies who have already posted on this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Rebekah Jones has a Bible Journaling Challenge and she does videos once a week. She recommends CLEAR gesso. I just got Dina Wakley Clear Gesso that she uses, but I haven't tried it yet. Is there a reason why that wouldn't work well in your journaling Bible?
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Rebekah Jones has a Bible Journaling Challenge and she does videos once a week. She recommends CLEAR gesso. I just got Dina Wakley Clear Gesso that she uses, but I haven't tried it yet. Is there a reason why that wouldn't work well in your journaling Bible?
Gesso is a primer. It sometimes has a bit of "tooth" (grit) to it. Different brands have more tooth than others. I don't like it at all in my Bible. Never, ever use it. I think so many use it because they have heard "it's the thing," and they don't know there are other options. The Ranger matte medium is amazing but you have to remember to use a very thin layer of anything you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Thank you for all the comments, suggestions and advice. Yes I'm on Pinterest and have look thru all the wonderful artwork there. I also have subscribed to several bible journaling artists on Youtube. I will take several of the sites mentioned with me to our first get together but I'm not the in charge person and have no idea yet how this is even going to work. Guess we/she will figure that out at our first get together.

I have used white gesso before but have never even seen clear used before and was wondering if it left the same texture/feel when dry. I guess it does so maybe I'll only buy a small jar to try it out.

I thought I had found a great deal on a journaling bible last week in an ad, %50 off. Went to the store to get one, didn't have any of them, in fact the only journaling bible they had in the store was a very large and expensive one at full price. No thanks.

Any suggestions on generic stamps I could take with me for them to try out. I plan on taking leaves, flowers, bible sentiments, etc but am sure there are some less obvious ones that I haven't thought of and figured some you that are already doing this would have suggestions.

I'm also on the fence as to whether to buy yet another set of gel pens. I have such a love-hate relationship with the things. I know they would work well but have tossed so many of them in the trash ($$$$). Then again using them regularly for bible journaling might keep them from drying up so quickly - but maybe not ..... See "on the fence" ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 06:06 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Let me see if I can address some of your comments. First, clear gesso can have even more tooth that white. I do not ever use gesso in my Bibles ever unless it is waterdown white or black that I use for splatters. I do not recommend gesso at all.

As far as gel pens, I do not use them either. I only use black Pigma Micron pens in different widths for journaling. To highlight scripture, I use colored pencils or the Crayola Twistable colored pencils are great too. You can see my blog post about those here:

Triple the Scraps: Glory Art {Tips} Crayola Twistables and Newsprint Paper

As far as generic stamps, I love using different alphas, flowers, butterflies, and then found items (toilet paper roll, lids, bubble wrap, etc.). I do a lot of stamping on old book paper. Then I cut it out to use on my Bible pages. You can see samples of that here. The pages were painted with thin layers of acrylic paint, then stamped with flowers, then cut out and pasted to the page.

I hope you find some of this helpful. I think people really have to find their own style. For me, I never cover up the text. I love, love, love color but only in the margins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stamping in your Bible is tricky...really tricky! No room for error! I've done it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't do a lot of stamping.

I, too, use the Pitt Microns in my Bible, and I sometimes use fine point Sharpie, too.

I really love to use washi tape and other stickers with my pages. I have some really lovely stickers from Simple Stories, and I can pair these with alpha stickers from the same lines as well.

Stencils are another fun product to use. I think they're a little more forgiving than stamps, and they add a nice layer or backdrop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Mary Rose, that is why I almost always stamp on book paper, tissue paper, newsprint paper, etc., and then put it in my Bible instead of stamping directly on the page. Works amazing, and a lot of times you can't even tell I have done that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Lol, clear gesso and "tooth/gritt" seems like such an oxymoron in my mind even though I know it's purpose is to to exactly that, give surface for paints etc. I am curious about using watercolors on matte medium, I'm worried about them not drying and/or not adhering the page well.

I think I'll wait on more pens and make due with what I have, I certainly have plenty of them around. Good time to use them and more importantly find out which ones need to be tossed. I also have 2 chalk pastel sets that I could use, I just need to get some sealant/finish spray. Looked for the "less stinky" one mentioned in another thread but didn't find it at HL yesterday.

Thanks again for answering my questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone used Inktense pencils in their bible? I got a big set for Christmas and love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I have my Dad's Bible to read from, and 2 Bibles I use for Art, so I don't worry about bleed thru.
Karen S

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Your page is wonderful Karen, tfs!

Two of the ladies I get together with weekly have decided not to worry bleed thru so much either. They say the font is too tiny and would rather use their regular bible most of the time anyway. They are using art journaling as a daily fellowship with god/prayer time and will use the finished artwork in the bible as reflection back to that fellowship.

While my son was was home for Christmas he checking out what I've done so far and said "it was cool", he always has been my biggest fan. I told him I was glad he liked it as it would be his bible when I'm finished with it, that got me a very big smile but only after I reassure him I really wanted to give it to him and not keep it for myself. I had to confess that I'm interested in another journaling bible when it come out in Feb for myself.

I do have a question though. I have done some pages with out anything, some using matte medium and some using clear gesso. Y'all were right the Liquitex brand gesso is VERY gritty and rough surfaced when dry and I do not enjoy using it at all. I really want to find something though so I can do more watercoloring. Dina Wakely's is better than the one I purchased and I was going to get a jar of it but then I read about another brand. Has anyone used the Prima Art Basics clear gesso it is supposed to be very smooth. Anyone know how it compares to Dina's?

Last edited by stampin stacy; 01-08-2016 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #22  
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I want to stamp directly in my journaling Bible. I am wondering what the options are on black ink pads that do not bleed through and one that will not bleed through when using
Accu-gel highlighters. I know Dini suggests Stazon, but every black Stazon pad I have used seems to be sticky and sticks to the page so I am afraid of tearing a Bible page. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Shirley, I know quite a few people prefer Versafine Black for stamping in their Bibles. I personally have not tried it yet but from what I understand, it may shadow but not bleed through :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie GearingerView Post
Shirley, I know quite a few people prefer Versafine Black for stamping in their Bibles. I personally have not tried it yet but from what I understand, it may shadow but not bleed through :-)
Thanks, Julie. I had heard some were using the Versfine. I have it, but I know it smears easily when it is first stamped so I was afraid to try it. I guess it will be trial and error so see what actually works on the pages. I am looking forward to getting started.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #25  

Shirley, possibly you could heat set it (gently) with a Heat Tool to avoid smearing? I am still waiting for my Inspire Journaling Bible to arrive (due to ship in March) and I have only tried a few pages directly in my Bible and I did prep with Gesso before painting, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabcre8tiveView Post
I want to stamp directly in my journaling Bible. I am wondering what the options are on black ink pads that do not bleed through and one that will not bleed through when using
Accu-gel highlighters. I know Dini suggests Stazon, but every black Stazon pad I have used seems to be sticky and sticks to the page so I am afraid of tearing a Bible page. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.
I've never suggested Stazon - I use Versamagic and Memento Luxe inks in my Bible. No bleeding with those.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #27  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I've never suggested Stazon - I use Versamagic and Memento Luxe inks in my Bible. No bleeding with those.
Oh, I am sorry, Dini. I thought it was your blog, I have looked at several today trying to figure out what to use. I have never used Versamagic or Memento Luxe. Thank you, for letting me know this info.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess

Last edited by dini; 02-25-2016 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Sorry I can't help with your ink question, I've only used either Versamark with embossing or Sugarloaf permanent black ink pad . Don't go looking for it though because the company has been out of business for more than a decade. I use that particular black because it is waterproof when dry and is not as dark a black as my other black ink pads. So my suggestion would be to maybe look for those qualities in an ink pad.

A couple of the ladies in my group who are new to stamping try things out on one of the back blank pages of their bible to see how it looks, reacts, etc. They are going to cover that page over when they are "done" with that bible.

Julie, I too want an NLT bible and was disappointed to see one of them has been pushed back to an end of May delivery, waaaa!

I am confused though, I noticed the other day that even though they are advertising them as great art journaling bibles the description says they already have illustrations in them. Huh, why? I don't want the verse I want to work on already done for me and I don't want my attempts competing with professionally done artwork. Guess I'll be waiting until the second one comes out so I can look at both and then make a decision but the included artwork may be a deal breaker for me. So disappointing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Julie, I too want an NLT bible and was disappointed to see one of them has been pushed back to an end of May delivery, waaaa!

I am confused though, I noticed the other day that even though they are advertising them as great art journaling bibles the description says they already have illustrations in them. Huh, why? I don't want the verse I want to work on already done for me and I don't want my attempts competing with professionally done artwork. Guess I'll be waiting until the second one comes out so I can look at both and then make a decision but the included artwork may be a deal breaker for me. So disappointing.
Yes, part of the Bible that I have on pre-order will have over 500 illustrations already in the Bible... I decided to get this one since I believe some of the illustrations will be black and white (so you can color) and there are plenty of blank pages for your own journaling. I thought the illustrations may be inspiring for me to get ideas, etc. :-) Plus since this Bible is already illustrated, I felt that it would be more of a journaling Bible than some of the others I have on the shelf....

I had not heard that it would be May until they ship though....off to check on that!

Hugs and thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #30  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
... Julie, I too want an NLT bible and was disappointed to see one of them has been pushed back to an end of May delivery, waaaa!

I bought a nice one at LifeWay as a Christmas gift to my DD. I liked that I could check out the size, weight, "feel" in the store. Although I would have just used that as an "exploration" trip, I did like one enough to get it right then. Just a thought if you happen to have a Christian bookstore near enough to check out the possibilities. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #31  

Thanks for the idea and glad to hear that you found one that you like locally.

I bought mine through Amazon Prime and I think I may have already paid for it...the release date notes March 22 and I bought the hardcover for $19.99...hopefully they will not change that date again...

So sad that all of our local Christian Bookstores have closed...but I also order books thru ChristianBookDistributors (cbd.com) and have looked online there but wanted to wait for my Inspire Bible to arrive :-)

Anxiously waiting....:-)

Last edited by Julie Gearinger; 02-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: date for release
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #32  

Quote:

Yes, part of the Bible that I have on pre-order will have over 500 illustrations already in the Bible... I decided to get this one since I believe some of the illustrations will be black and white (so you can color) and there are plenty of blank pages for your own journaling. I thought the illustrations may be inspiring for me to get ideas, etc. :-) Plus since this Bible is already illustrated, I felt that it would be more of a journaling Bible than some of the others I have on the shelf....

I had not heard that it would be May until they ship though....off to check on that!

Hugs and thanks for the info!
I didn't see that Bible on line. Sounds like it would have been really neat. The ones that I was interested in were out of stock on Amazon and I found the one I wanted locally. I might have gotten the one with illustrations, had I seen it.

Thanks, for all the info.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #33  

Shirley- this is the one I have pre-ordered from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1496413741?keywords=inspire%20nlt%20bible&qid=1456445828&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1
Hopefully they will ship late March :-) I ordered this in December and have decided to wait to do my journaling in this Bible versus others that I have at home (the margins on the ones I already own are not very wide) :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #34  

Quote:

Shirley- this is the one I have pre-ordered from Amazon
Inspire Bible NLT: The Bible for Creative Journaling (Inspire: Full Size): Tyndale, Christian Art: 9781496413741: Amazon.com: Books

Hopefully they will ship late March :-) I ordered this in December and have decided to wait to do my journaling in this Bible versus others that I have at home (the margins on the ones I already own are not very wide) :-)

Okay, I did see that one, but was thinking the illustrations was all the way through. It has such a pretty cover on it, too. I can always do a second one if I want. I will be interested to hear how you like yours. Thanks for sharing the info with me.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes