Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Becoming a SU! Demo just to get the kit?

Hi.....

What is the general concensus out there on the wisdom of signing up with SU! as a hobby demo just to get the kit and discounts?

The kit is especially attractive now that you can choose your own stamp sets and ink pads. I'd like to offer my discount to family and friends. I already have a job and don't need the second income.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Coletta
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You also will be active through December 31, so you can get all your Christmas gifts and supplies at the demonstrator discount! I would recommend not giving the discount to your friends and family - you might decide to keep going - and the extra income sure is nice!
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 04:05 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I know a couple of people who have done just that, signed up to get the kit items and the discount. I think that if you spend a lot of money by yourself each year on SU products then yes it is a great way to save money.

As for giving the discount to your family and friends. That is really up to you.

Best of luck and have fun no matter what you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I signed up to get the discount (in April). I was going to just be a hobby demo because I wanted the discount, but did not need the income. I have started 2 clubs so far - one with 7 members that I gave to a downline, and the other has 9 members. I have signed up 2 more with the special - one plans to hold workshops, the other just wanted the starter kit and the discounts.
You have until December to decide if you want to continue as a demo - but I have enjoyed it so much that I have turned my hobby into a second job. With the stamp pad special I don't see how you can lose on the deal. Your first order will be 30% off, so you get to order all of your "must-haves" at a larger discount. If you decide not to hold workshops, check to see if your upline will buy your supplies from you.
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a couple of people that have asked me the same thing. I have a feeling they will only buy the starter kit though. I don't even think they will spend enough of their own money to make the $300. What happens then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbtdolfin
I have a couple of people that have asked me the same thing. I have a feeling they will only buy the starter kit though. I don't even think they will spend enough of their own money to make the $300. What happens then?

The Stampin' Up police come to her house and take back her kit!!!!! And then they take some of your stuff too for signing her up!

Nah, here's what happens: Nothing. Buying the kit is a business opportunity, not a jail sentence. If you place orders of at least $300 retail per calendar quarter you stay active (meaning you continue to have access to the SU demo site and continue to be able to order as a demonstrator) and if you don't, you have an additional month past the end of the quarter to make up the deficit + $100 toward the next quarter's requirement (? pretty sure it's $100) and you can still stay active. If not, you are dropped as a demonstrator, which just means you no longer have access to the demo site and can't place orders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:42 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

The Stampin'Up! police. I love it. You are a hoot Spammie!!

At this point to sign up to just get the kit. Is a really good deal. As someone else posted you have until Dec. 31 to decide if you want to stay on or drop. And you have until mid Sept. I think to get the 30% instant income from your first Hostess order ($150 +). So you could get a lot of supplies or even gifts at a great discount. If you do decide to stay on you would only need the $300 by Dec 31 or whatever you are short +$100 by Jan 31 to stay active. If you do drop you would lose the items mentioned above, the 20% discount or instant income from your orders and access to the SU Demo website

Best of Wishes in whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

IT's a great deal. Get the kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Coletta! We're long-lost cousins I think (note my name . . .)I've tried & tried & I honestly have yet to find the "catch" or dowside to joining SU as a hobby demo. I've even had a few people join JUST for the kit & sell me their catalogs & order forms. Fine with me - it saves me a little money on shipping & tax.

There honestly is not any skeleton in the closet with joining SU. I'm sooooo glad I did it! Very simple agreement, very simple to stay active. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

The starter kit is AWESOME. Great deal. (I did pick a few sets in my kit that recently retired, but oh well.) But otherwise you can't beat the deal. And now to get the free 12 ink pads, holy cow! That's awesome!

I signed up mostly as a hobby demo and signed up because I was spending so much $$ and decided to go for the discount, but I signed up even more so because I just love Stampin' and I love SU's stuff! I am eventually going to offer a few workshops at my house (once our basement family room is done) and teach techniques etc. and have stamp camps etc. Right now I've met my quarterly min. pretty much all myself (The new catty helped w/that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's an EXCEPTIONAL deal (even without the bonus of the set of pads they're offering right now), whether or not you continue as a demo'r!

However, I strongly advise you against giving away your commission to friends/family. Now, you say you don't "need" a 2nd income. That's WONDERFUL!

However, we heard a presentation by Susy Miller. Her hubby was laid off a # of times by corporate down-sizing. Of a sudden, she HAD to become the bread-winner to support her family. And, she did it through her SU! business.

Once you give away your commission, it will be very difficult to regain it, should your circumstances change. There have been times where my family depended on my income from SU! to cover unanticipated emergencies.

There are many other VERY good reasons why I would strongly urge any demo'r, hobby or not, NOT to give their commission/discount to others, but I won't list them all here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I have been wondering this same thing and have 3 questions after reading this post: do you have to sign up under a current demo? what is the tax situation for hobby demos (do you have to pay self-employment taxes or anything like that)? and lastly, when does the free stamp pad set offer expire?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 10:52 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Thumbs up Resistance is futile

;) .......resistance is futile!!! Sign me up :-)

Do you need to sign up under another demonstrator or can I just call SU! and get the process started?

Now I'm all excited about getting started.

Thanks!
Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can sign up under anyone you wish. You can check the demonstrator locator to find someone or some in your area or pick someone you know who is a demonstrator who lives elsewhere. If you are thinking of expanding into being a business demo one day, choosing an upline is something that you should do with care. Interview the demos who you think would make a good upline and choose the one who you think will best fit your interests.

As far as taxes go, the IRS only requires you to pay taxes on income in excess of $600. That's AFTER you deduct expenses, so if you are spending everything you make, you really don't have to worry.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coletta
;) .......resistance is futile!!! Sign me up :-)

Do you need to sign up under another demonstrator or can I just call SU! and get the process started?

Now I'm all excited about getting started.

Thanks!
Coletta
If you don't have someone specific you'd like to sign up under, you can call SU! and they will locate someone for you, but you can't just sign up directly via SU!, if that's what you're asking? You actually have to sign up under a demonstrator--ANY demo'r you choose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Coletta,

Where are you located? I am in New Orleans. If you are closeby, I'd be happy to have yo in my downline. Let me know.

Thanks,

Kris McGinn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris McGinn
Coletta,

Where are you located? I am in New Orleans. If you are closeby, I'd be happy to have yo in my downline. Let me know.

Thanks,

Kris McGinn

Hi Kris,

I live in Cleveland Ohio.......far far away from New Orleans.

I appreciate the offer! I originally thought I could just call SU! and ask for the paperwork but now I realize I have to go through a demonstrator.

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I almost did this same thing last night... I'm starting to regret that I didn't. I really wanted some sort of starter kit to get going, I had so much fun making the projects at the workshop. But I don't want to be a seller, sounds like I could have just let the demo part lapse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2005, 06:17 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Default Demo

I signed up to get the starter kit because of the great deal. I didn't think that I would be very interested in selling. I would really like business to take off (it has been a couple of years). But I make enough in sales to keep my active status, which is great!

If anyone knows anyone in the Cincinnati/Hamilton/Fairfield/Middletown, Ohio area interested, give them my e-mail address.

But I say, "go for it." Stampin' Up is a GREAT company. The products are terrific and you will just LOVE IT!

Tammy

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I've just joined too and I am in it for as long as I can afford it! I have been a stamper for 5-6 years and have purchased ALOT of their supplies and stamp sets and there quality is excellent! I'm truely one happy stamper!!

My blog:
http://weebeestampin4fun.blogspot.com/

Featured Stamper #153 on SCS-January 10, 2010
Merry Maker for the Merry Monday Challenges-April 2012-April 2016
Guest Designer for the SCS Color Challenges-May 2013
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #21  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I suggest going on the SU site and looking at the demo locator, or calling them. Some of the demonstrators have websites, with their classes and stuff on and that are a BIG decision factor for most people. Look on the members art work, there are lots on there that would make a decision for some too. If you like what a demonstrator does for projects talk to them, see what they offer to you!! Shop around and don't settle for just anyone if you are looking for support in this endevor (sp)
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes