Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #121  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyjrfmView Post
For those recommending hot knife- where do you get one??? I do not live close to craft stores so need to ship here...
have you tried www.joann.com ?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #122  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

I've got a variety of stamps, mounted and unmounted. I generally like to keep the ones that are mounted on their own wood blocks in their normal state (read: I've never considered unmounting them). My latest kick has been buying unmounted rubber stamps and using Dee Gruenig's EZ Mounting Foam and then putting them onto white plastic boards and storing them in binders. They attach easily to the board (static cling I think) and then also they attach easily to acrylic blocks. It's amazing.

~Riff-Raff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #123  
Matboard Maniac

my goodness! Info overload. I'm so glad I happened upon this thread. I just finished posting to onother one asking all the questions that were answered in this one.

I think my first step will be to buy a set of clear stamps and a block to see how much I like unmounted stamps. I have only ever had wood mounted ones. My bigest peeve with wood mounted stamps is not being able to line up the stamps very well so I have been drawn to the clear ones for a while now.

If I like it I may try to unmount some of my cheep old bargin bin stamps first. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much for all the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok...I went through my SU! sets and unmounted about 50 retired sets with the foam still on. I made an index from index cards with the name, catty, yr retired item number and page number and put it inside the case. My question is...since I left the foam on...how do I use these to cling to the block? Most still have the sticky on them from the wood (didn't nuke most). Will they stick to my cd case and I won't be able to get them off? I thought I had this figured out but I don't want to get too far and totally mess up. I did buy ATIOAO just in case I needed it. Do I really need to use ez-mount on the foam? I have some TAC stamps with the foam on and they cling to the block fine with nothing else so I thought I could just um my SU! and use the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 AM   #125  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by caascher2View Post
How do you get the stamp off of wooden blocks? Do you remove all of the cushion off the stamp before mounting? I might have missed reading this in the thread. I am reorganizing my craft space and have mounted alot of my SU stamps yet and thought I would go UM. I have many mounted stamps from Hero Arts, etc, that I would like to UM as well.
Thanks for any help, or point me in the right direction!
Carol
Put your stamp in the microwave for 3 sec and it will peal off the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #126  
Embossing Fanatic

I did the same thing you did left the foam on a few of the stamp sets because I thought wow, it came off the block real easy and this looks like the other stuff. I was wrong, with the newer sets, the sticky stuff stuck to the cd case. So I wound up redoing all the stamps and just putting the ez mount on. Its the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #127  
Glitter Queen

Just peel it off. Yes, remove all of the cusion so it is just rubber. You may have to use your thumb to rub off the rest of the adhesive. Depends on the stamp set. Some peel right off. Then mount the rubber on to EZ mount. It has cusion built in. Good luck. WHen I went UM I saved tons of room in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

so I can't just use the foam that's on it with tack it over, dbl sided sb tape or the little bit of sticky residue that's on it? What about just using the rubber only? Is that possible or just more of a headache? I really didn't want to spend a bunch of money to do this. I have about 200 sets not including the other brand singles that I want to um. What about the ones that I did have to nuke that have no sticky residue on them? I just saw on ebay there's either 5 or 7 (I forgot which) 8.5x11 sheets of thin ez mount for 18.99 plus shipping. I have bought 2-3 SU! retired sets for that price before. That almost sounds just as expensive as buying the mounted sets (except for the outrageously priced older retireds).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydivaView Post
so I can't just use the foam that's on it with tack it over, dbl sided sb tape or the little bit of sticky residue that's on it? What about just using the rubber only? Is that possible or just more of a headache? I really didn't want to spend a bunch of money to do this. I have about 200 sets not including the other brand singles that I want to um. What about the ones that I did have to nuke that have no sticky residue on them? I just saw on ebay there's either 5 or 7 (I forgot which) 8.5x11 sheets of thin ez mount for 18.99 plus shipping. I have bought 2-3 SU! retired sets for that price before. That almost sounds just as expensive as buying the mounted sets (except for the outrageously priced older retireds).
Jada - take a deep breath and I'll help you thru this

If you ask 4 different stampers who've unmounted the best way to do it, you'll get 4 different answers. So I'll tell you what I've tried and had good luck or bad luck with, and you can take it from there, okay?

I try to save money on my unmounting so that I can buy more stamps - here's my "process":

Stamp is already bare rubber - try it with double-stick tape. If the stamp stamps fine and doesn't seem to need cushion, either keep using the double-stick tape or apply tack-it-over directly to the rubber. Usually if the stamp is small, I put the tack-it-over on it. The bigger ones I use the double-stick tape until I do a batch with EZ Mount, but that's just because I prefer the feel of cushion on the bigger stamps. A lot of them don't need it. A big advantage to using bare rubber with double-stick tape is cleaning - you can just toss the whole stamp into a container of water with a little bit of cleaning solution and let it soak. Just use a strainer when you dump out the container in case you missed a stamp!

Stamp was on wood and cushion was damaged when removed from block - you need to completely remove the cushion and then follow instructions for bare rubber.

Stamp was on wood and cushion is intact - I just apply tack-it-over right on top of the sticky and use it that way, whether the cushion is sticky or not. If the cushion is not sticky, you can also use double-stick tape, but I would stick with the poster tape. Regular double-stick might grip hard enough to pull away part of the cushion.

Brand new SU set with sticky cushion - I apply the clear index labels to the cushion and then put the tack-it-over on top of that. It's a neat indexing trick I learned from someone here at SCS and it works slicker than slick. If you don't want to use the clear labels, I would stick the stamps to a towel or your jeans a few times to cut down on the power of the stickiness before applying the tack-it-over.

As you've probably found, there are other options out there - some stampers like the vinyl cling instead of the tack-it-over. I didn't have good luck with it; as soon as I tried scrubbing the stamp clean and the block got damp, the stamp didn't cling to it. There's also the thin ez-mount that's meant to be used on top of existing cushion - but the tack-it-over works as well or better and costs a lot less. Also, the thin ez-mount with existing cushion makes the stamps just thick enough that the cd case squishes them down, and I did not like that one bit! I've also heard that if you de-stick the adhesive a bit (stick it to a towel or your jeans and pull it off a couple of times) that you can just use the adhesive that's already on the SU stamps. I've not tried that; it seems like it would leave residue on the blocks and I'm kind of OC about my blocks.

Hope this helps. There are other epic threads out there on this topic; this is just what works for me and hopefully answers some of the questions you had.

Last edited by cbet; 02-11-2008 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank You Cheryl!!!! I did buy a few Victorine Originals from ebay and they were just rubber. I didn't realize they were sold this way and I prefer to keep the cushion on my SU! ones. This definitely helps!! I saved it to my desktop for future reference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #131  
Rubber Obsessor

Question- for the SU stamps I mounted to EZ already with the foam on, can I remove the middle layer somehow with out having to redo all EZ too???? Seem too puffy and unstable...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #132  
Rubber Obsessor

Can I print image on black EZ with white stazon if I have the black kind????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #134  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Can I print image on black EZ with white stazon if I have the black kind????
Yes, I've done that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #135  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Question- for the SU stamps I mounted to EZ already with the foam on, can I remove the middle layer somehow with out having to redo all EZ too???? Seem too puffy and unstable...
I don't think it would remove that easily without damaging the EZ Mount foam.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuxView Post
my goodness! Info overload. I'm so glad I happened upon this thread. I just finished posting to onother one asking all the questions that were answered in this one.

I think my first step will be to buy a set of clear stamps and a block to see how much I like unmounted stamps. I have only ever had wood mounted ones. My bigest peeve with wood mounted stamps is not being able to line up the stamps very well so I have been drawn to the clear ones for a while now.

If I like it I may try to unmount some of my cheep old bargin bin stamps first. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much for all the info.
I think unmounting has been terrific and not to be afraid of... but in the meantime, if you haven't already tried it, get the Stamp-A-Majig for lining up your wood block stamps. I will even use it with my rubber stamps on EZmount because I can't see through those anyway. It's worth the extra effort if you are a stickler for positioning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #137  
Rubber Obsessor

Is there any need for a Stamp-A-Majig with acrylic mount??? I have never used one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are using clear stamps on acrylic blocks, you wouldn't need a stampamajig because you can see right thru the block and the stamp to get your placement.

However, with unmounted rubber on acrylic blocks, all you see is the outline of your stamp. There are still times with these where a stampamajig is downright useful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
If you are using clear stamps on acrylic blocks, you wouldn't need a stampamajig because you can see right thru the block and the stamp to get your placement.

However, with unmounted rubber on acrylic blocks, all you see is the outline of your stamp. There are still times with these where a stampamajig is downright useful.
That's exactly what I was going to say!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I put the image sticker on the back of the foam, I can see the image thru the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
I put the image sticker on the back of the foam, I can see the image thru the block.
I think that's a neat idea, but how do you all tell that the sticker on the back is in line with the image?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #142  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I think that's a neat idea, but how do you all tell that the sticker on the back is in line with the image?
I tried my best to line it up. It was much easier to do with the diecut SU stamps and the ones that I had already trimmed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 06:34 AM   #143  
Crimping Master

I trim my stamps very close, so I have no need for the SAMJ...I hate that thing!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #144  
Polyshrink Goddess

ZERO regrets, my friends who have tried my UM sets are starting to UM as well, I think some people just have to see it in action. My only hold out is my friend Clara, and I know she's seriously thinking about it =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a quick update. Still thrilled that I unmounted!! I have found that I need to keep a damp sponge nearby for the older sets that I unmounted and attached plastic wrap to -- after awhile, the plastic doesn't stick that great. I will probably end up just putting these on EZmount - I only did a half dozen sets that way.

I found a new product I'm excited to try. At www.stampostore.com you get to the Viva Las Vegas store and they have vinyl cling sheets specifically to work with SU-type stamps that you don't want to mount on wood! You just stick the cushion to one side and the other side is cling. They are 79 cents for each 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. I just ordered a bunch yesterday and can't wait to try them. You don't even have to trim all that close because a little extra cling sticking out won't hurt anything and sort of gives you a place to grab and pull off your case or storage sheet. I will let you know when I get them if they are the answer I was looking for!!

Now I have a question! If these sheets are really nice to work with, I'd like to put my old sets that I'm unmounting on them too. After I take the die and cushion off the block, there's sometimes a fair amount of stickiness left so I'm hoping it's enough. But if it's not?? Does anyone know of a good glue or adhesive of some kind that I could use on the back of the old semi-sticky cushion to stick to these new vinyl/cling sheets? It'd be a little easier and a lot cheaper than going the EZmount way but that is of course the best solution if all else fails!!

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions!! I'm also curious how people who unmount and want to go back to wood would mount their's back onto wood. Can you buy something like EZmount sheets that have adhesive like the SU stamps instead of cling on the back? Just wondering how they do it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions!! I'm also curious how people who unmount and want to go back to wood would mount their's back onto wood. Can you buy something like EZmount sheets that have adhesive like the SU stamps instead of cling on the back? Just wondering how they do it.
I'm pretty sure that THIS cushion from CHF is exactly that.

However, if I were doing it, I'd just put rubber cement directly on the cling side of the EZ Mount and glue it to the wood. It'd save money and time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
have you tried www.joann.com ?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I just used my hot knife for the first time and I can't wait to get everything that was on wood onto EZmount. I wasn't looking forward to doing it by hand - it's harder to trim around the rubber on EZmount than it is to trim a brand new SU stamp set. And if I tried to lay out more than one rubber die at a time, they were so close together (to save EZmount) that I worried about undercutting.

With this hot knife (yes, from joann.com for less than $14!!) I just whipped through my first set and had those rubber dies right up next to eachother. It cut like butter and so easy to control the completely vertical cut that I had no worries about beveling. This was amazing. I have one of those glass cutting boards (that I never use for that purpose!) and I did my cutting on that.

I cannot thank you enough for your suggestion!! The first time I had read about a 'hot knife' I googled it and only saw things that were $100!! Then I saw your post and checked out Joann's. I am so excited about getting my unmounting completed - neat and quick and accurate.

Thanks a million !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #148  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! now I "need" a hot knife! Hey! if anyone is storing their newly unmounted stamps in CD cases, I have CDspine labels for sale on B/S/T. I had to buy a pack of 100 sheets of 100 labels each and I cannot imagine I will ever have 10000 sets to label. I am sick, just not THAT sick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #149  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
Great! now I "need" a hot knife! Hey! if anyone is storing their newly unmounted stamps in CD cases, I have CDspine labels for sale on B/S/T. I had to buy a pack of 100 sheets of 100 labels each and I cannot imagine I will ever have 10000 sets to label. I am sick, just not THAT sick!
WHAT? I thought this hobby was all about "imagine, dream, live" and now you say you can't "imagine" ever having 10000 sets to label?
OH THE HORROR! say it ain't so! Please give her back her dream to imagine owning ALL the stamps!

I hear you, hope my sense of humor came out right there it's early and I am still working on my first cup of coffee. Where exactly did you get those labels because I need about 100 myself, maybe 2 sheets would be could I would be happy to buy some from you, I can send cash or paypal plus postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #150  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by misplacedstamperView Post
WHAT? I thought this hobby was all about "imagine, dream, live" and now you say you can't "imagine" ever having 10000 sets to label?
OH THE HORROR! say it ain't so! Please give her back her dream to imagine owning ALL the stamps!

I hear you, hope my sense of humor came out right there it's early and I am still working on my first cup of coffee. Where exactly did you get those labels because I need about 100 myself, maybe 2 sheets would be could I would be happy to buy some from you, I can send cash or paypal plus postage.
Your sense of humor came through loud and clear. We speak the same language, sistah! I had to buy a minimum of 100 sheets (80/sheet as it turns out) and I got tired of buying the cd labeling kits and throwing everything away but the spine labels. so! send me a pm with your address and I would be happy to send some to you. I need to add a piece of cardboard to keep them nice, and 5 sheets is $3, so I guess 3 would be about $2 postage included. PM your address and I will send paypal info.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #151  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Does the sticker that comes from su stick well to the acrylic block?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #152  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Does the sticker that comes from su stick well to the acrylic block?
The SU Sticker will not stick to an acrylic block unless it's covered with Tack It Over and Over or clear cling vinyl, or plastic wrap, or Mono Multi glue or some other removable glue . . . some of these stick better than others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #153  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that THIS cushion from CHF is exactly that.

However, if I were doing it, I'd just put rubber cement directly on the cling side of the EZ Mount and glue it to the wood. It'd save money and time.
Thanks for the info - I'm surprised I haven't come across that somewhere before. I'm so happy with my unmounting though... now that those vinyl cling sheets are on their way and I have my hot knife, I'm all set and so glad I took the plunge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #154  
Inking Addict

So, I went and unmounted my first stamp set. I tested it out and loved it. I didn't notice any difference with the stamp being mounted on wood block vs. acrylic block. I do have a question....when I use my stamp on the acrylic block, it works great. But when I clean them, it comes of and doesn't stick very well. Is this common? Does anyone have this problem? Any solutions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #155  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbly BooView Post
So, I went and unmounted my first stamp set. I tested it out and loved it. I didn't notice any difference with the stamp being mounted on wood block vs. acrylic block. I do have a question....when I use my stamp on the acrylic block, it works great. But when I clean them, it comes of and doesn't stick very well. Is this common? Does anyone have this problem? Any solutions? Thanks!
Definitely. Unmounted stamps (on EZ Mount, anyway) don't stick hard enough for vigorous scrubbing. I've learned to scrub more gently, or to just take the stamp off the block and scrub it without the block if necessary. The stamps are more likely to come off the block during scrubbing if your scrub pad is super wet.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #156  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampaholic2004View Post
ZERO regrets, my friends who have tried my UM sets are starting to UM as well, I think some people just have to see it in action. My only hold out is my friend Clara, and I know she's seriously thinking about it =)
Me? Naw ...

Wait, okay, maybe a little ...

Okay, okay, my only hold out is the expense and time it is going to take! That doesn't count as "seriously thinking about it" though, Right? :mrgreen: ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #157  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I found a new product I'm excited to try. At www.stampostore.com you get to the Viva Las Vegas store and they have vinyl cling sheets specifically to work with SU-type stamps that you don't want to mount on wood! You just stick the cushion to one side and the other side is cling. They are 79 cents for each 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. I just ordered a bunch yesterday and can't wait to try them. You don't even have to trim all that close because a little extra cling sticking out won't hurt anything and sort of gives you a place to grab and pull off your case or storage sheet. I will let you know when I get them if they are the answer I was looking for!!

Phantom, please share! What was your experience with these? Maybe it's just what I need to push me over the edge! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #158  
Crimping Master

Had anyone had problems with reselling the su this way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #159  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Is there any need for a Stamp-A-Majig with acrylic mount??? I have never used one

You may find that you will still need a Stamp-a-ma-jig because if you exact placement its easier. Say you stamp an open oval and the words for the inside of the oval are really a tight fit in middle of the oval, with the SAMJ you get exact placement of the words.

I'd like to say that I have a real steady hand and would hit in the center everytime, but nope, I figure why bother and get out my SAMJ. In fact its one of my fav tools.

I was going to unmount my stamps to save on storage and have decided not to. I still love wood and good old fashion rubber.

Last edited by stamphappy1650; 04-10-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: addded text
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #160  
Gabfest Goddess

I've been really thinking about it. My thing is how long is the cling really going to last. I was useing a friends and hers have been UM for 8mo and some of her LOVED sets come off when useing craft ink. How much longer until they don't stick at all.
Reply With Quote Likes