Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone travel and stamp?

I'm going on a road trip for 21 days, and am wondering if I should pack some stamping supplies. Has anyone ever done this for a short trip (under a month) and had time to stamp?

If so, what did you pack?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janette RView Post
I'm going on a road trip for 21 days, and am wondering if I should pack some stamping supplies. Has anyone ever done this for a short trip (under a month) and had time to stamp?

TIA!
Yes, I did this last December. My son was in an intensive therapy program in Michigan (therefore it was cold and a lot of our time was spent in our hotel room). I brought a very basic selection of cardstock and a mat stack with a lot of colored card stock that measured 4 x 6, my absolute go-to tools and supplies (trimmer, Cuttlebug and embossing folders, Nestabilities, dimensionals, adhesives, an Ott light) about a dozen of my favorite ribbons (I keep them on Cropper Hopper ribbon cards, so they're slim-line), a few various embellishments (brads and the like), my favorite black ink, a set of colored ink spots I have from Technique Tuesday, my Copic markers, and about a dozen or so sets that I needed to make stuff with for deadlines or that I'd been meaning to get inky. It looks like a ton of stuff here, but it certainly felt like everything was a 'Limited Supply Challenge'!! But I did get a lot of stuff done and felt like I was a very productive stamper during naptimes and after bedtime. : )

It does take a little thought and planning, but really and truly, you can do it and learn a lot about your own creativity during that time! For example, if I didn't have the right color of cardstock? I just colored white cs the color I needed with my Copics. It would never occur to me to do that now! I'd make a trip to the LSS before doing that...

Good luck, and I'd love to hear about your stamping on the road!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't like taking the ink pads and the stamps. So I stamp a pile of images and take along coloring pencils or ......Wahoo!! I just got the Watercolor Crayons. Next trip, I can take those.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I haven't but I made my mom a kit for their travels this summer (3 months!). She's taking along her SU markers (one colour family --> Rich Regals), a Stazon ink pad, blender pen, scissors, sm ruler, pencil, eraser, stampin' scrub etc. I made about 12 different card designs for her, pre-cut, layout drawn on a post-it, along with accessories in little baggies, and 2 stamp sets. She is loving it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,123 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
I don't like taking the ink pads and the stamps. So I stamp a pile of images and take along coloring pencils or ......Wahoo!! I just got the Watercolor Crayons. Next trip, I can take those.
That's what I do too - stamp a bunch of images and tuck them into my colored pencil or watercolor pencil case.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Renee that is such a nice thing you did for your mom! I too take stamped images to colour.
What's another word for synonym?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, thanks for all of the replies and suggestions! I think I'll bring a small case with cardstock, trimmer, paper snips, stamped images to color, my watercolor pencils, markers, a couple of stamp sets, adhesive, some ribbons, brads, and some cuttlebugged layers. And some stuff that I see and think I can't live without. ;)

I'm hoping that I'll be able to stop at some stamp stores along the way. Then I'll have supplies all ready to play with my new stamps!

Carole - I hope your son is better!

Renee - what an awesome thing to do for your Mom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Never leave home without something. Just went to the beach for a week and took stamps, reinkers and cardstock. Sick....I know.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Carole - I hope your son is better!
Oh, thank you -- that's so sweet. Hope this isn't TMI, but he has CP, so he's not really sick -- we just do a lot of different types of interventions and this wonderful place in Michigan is somewhere we'll be going a few times a year. Anyway, we'll be heading back in September for a couple of weeks, and I'll be creating my travel kit once again! I'd love to hear after your trip what you found was necessary/un-needed/wish you'd brought!

Have a wonderful time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #10  

Quote:

Renee - what an awesome thing to do for your Mom!
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryj106View Post
Renee that is such a nice thing you did for your mom! I too take stamped images to colour.
Thanks ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

We travel in our motorhome and several years ago my DH bought me the stamping travel kit on wheels. So if we are going to be gone for a while, then I pack it and off we go. Of course I usually have one or two projects in the works and take them with me, usually Christmas cards. The rest of the time when we are flying back east to visit the kids and grandkids I just pack a small travel kit with basic supplies, so I can make a card if needed while gone, otherwise I just take a small project with me to work on. I usually take a stack of things that need to be colored since I can do that anywhere.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I've got some stamping stuff packed for my vacation, which starts next Saturday. We will be at the lake for a week, and in case it rains....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts
Default Have stamp, will travel....

You girls read my mind. DH is in the shower, we are supposed to leave in an hour and I'm trying to hide some stamping stuff in the car trunk for DD and I - LOL!! We didn't have time to stamp some images but I think that is a better strategy. If I take markers with acetate I can even watercolor, kind of. Thanks for the inspiration. Gotta go..... Will check in with everyone next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I take stamping stuff with me when I go with my mom on long weekend camping trips. I take cardstock, markers, colored pencils. My SU pads, 1 tray of embellishments (brads, etc), my favorite ribbon and a few punches. Since I've mounted my stamps on EZ Mount, I can take more stamps than before because they take up so much less space. I love stamping in the woods. It can be inspirational.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I do this a lot with scrapbooking. I think te secret is to make kits before hand where you have everything all put together with the stamped images. Then you can color the images and put the cards together in no time. It also helps if you put in a page map or a ketch of what you were thinking of when you assembled the kits so that when you open it up you arent lost. I did my party invitations like this a couple of weeks ago and it worked out wonderfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I tend to plan out a few cards before a trip. I stamp any images I might need and then just bring along markers to color, neelde and thread and scissors to cut out the images, if needed. You can plan more elaborate cards since you have more time to do things like hand sewing around the edges and making multiple layers on the cards. I place all of the stamping items in the SU plastic holders for stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been sitting in hospital waiting rooms a lot lately and before I go I pre- stamp many pages of images in black stazon and then I carry watercolor pencils, colored pencils, blender pens, aqua painters, scissors and ziplock bags with me. I do a lot of detailed coloring and watercoloring while I am sitting. When I get tired I switch to cutting. Then when I return home I have a bunch of elements to play with and put together in different ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

We road travel about 9 hours to Grandma's house several times a year. I used to just sit there, now I bring things to do! I don't stamp in the car but I tape, color, tie ribbon, etc. When I am at Grandma's I usually try to bring something as well - you can only watch so many hours of television! I have one of the sterilite containers that has markers, chalk, small paper cutter, a few stamp pads, scissors etc and I bring a pack of whatever paper etc that I am using at the time.
We are heading to our friends cabin this weekend and she keeps telling me to bring the stamps....8 kids and one night I don't think we will have a lot of time but stamps are small so I will pack a few and see what happens, I need something for shoebox swap next week and it will give me a chance to think of something.
Have a great trip

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

What I tend to do is design a project ahead of time, tehn bring all I need for that and make multiples of them. For instance, some Christmas cards or a swap I joined. Works best for me if I design at home with everything in hand, otherwise I always need something I didn't remember to bring!!! Enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

when we go to the beach for a week in the summer I usually take stamped images with me...sheets and sheets of images, just in case of a rainy day. I pack my paper stumps, prismacolor pencils and oms. the first time i brought everything, paper cutter, packages of cs, ink pads, stampe sets, you name it and i had it. I had a whole laundry basket full of my stamping stuff... my family thought that i was crazy. Now I just bring a little stuff! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Once or twice a year I have to travel for business. Usually for 3 or 4 days. I stay in an extended stay hotel because they have kitchens with either large eat at counters or tables. I prefer to stay in and stamp instead of going out. I usually pick one or two stamp sets, my ink SU ink spots, a couple of tools and assortment of paper.

One time, I needed to "escape" everything and everyone. I loaded up the back of my car with all sorts of stamp stuff. Went to an extended stay and hibernated for a couple of days. Took my laptop and a bunch of DVDs. 2 days and 2 nights of stamping and movies. Best thing I could have done for myself.

One thing I don't do. If I'm going somewhere with hubby, I don't take stamp stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Try some "one sheet wonders" - just take a few sheets of pattern paper, card stock, adhesive, scissors, etc - just some basic items. Do layout and design and when you get home, add sentiments and emblishments. Pack in baggies or file folders for easy storage.

Kit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

The one time I didn't take stamping stuff with me on vacation I ended up in stamp stores buying stamps -- LOL! So now I take a mini kit with me. Usually it's Christmas cards. I design a card, pre-cut the pieces and, if I'm doing embossing or anything like that I do that at home. Otherwise I try to design a card that uses just one full ink pad and markers, so I can stamp, color, and assemble on the road.

My favorite vacations for stamping are cruises -- there are usually plenty of spaces all over the boat on sea days where you can sit comfortably and stamp while sipping your beverage of choice. I always try to grab a table somewhere by a window so I can look out at the ocean while stamping :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I always take stuff. Sometimes I take a stack of watercolour paper with images already stamped. But ever since I bought unmounted and clear stamps, I've been packing those too (they don't take up any space!!), plus a black inkpad and an acrylic block. I bought one of those cheap Crayola kids' watercolouring sets (the second one here), threw away the Crayola watercolour insert, and replaced them with Winsor & Newton watercolours squeezed from the tubes. I bring an aqua painter, because of the water reservoir. I squeeze out a drop or two of water on the plastic lid, and then use the aqua painter like a normal paintbrush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I asked a similar question over a month ago. We were going to be away from home for at least two months and I wanted to know what others would pack for card making for that duration. As it turned out, I had one dedicated bag plus space in another for stamping tools and supplies. Even so, I ended up not having something I wanted. I knew I would be making cards for a lot of birthdays, anniversaries, etc. and I had committed to my first card swap. Fortunately, I also I have a friend near where we are staying for the summer who has a lot of supplies she is sharing with me. I brought my Spellbinders Wizard and Nestabilities, Tool kit, Crop-a-dile, about half a dozen SU stamp sets, as well as, some unmounted clear and rubber stamps, some ink pads, markers and Twinkling H20s, aquapainter, quite a few punches, card stock, adhesive, embossing materials both wet and dry, embellishments, glitter, versamark, cutting tools. Of course, I can't resist purchasing other stamping stuff while I'm here on vacation! Fortunately, we are staying in a place that has an awesome room with mile of counter space and lots of windows so I have a great place to do my card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I take one bag for stamping...carry on size "ish". In that is my paper trimmer, an empty huggies wipes box now filled with supplies, and the Cropper hopper hard shell storage case.
One of my favorites is to take scraps of patterned paper from recent projects to now use on cards. I keep them in ziplock sandwich bags. I take my favorite black ink, then either ink spots or my fave chalk ink queues! Some brads, ribbon on Cropper Hoppercards,adhesive, paper piercer set, singo white pen, baggie of diaper wipes, clear stamps becasue they take so little room, and just a few wood mounted stamps...the ones I can't live without. Leave room in this bag for stamps and goodies you might find on your trip!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Variety is the key

Wow I love reading others suggestions. Though I pack for week or 2 away like many of you. I have a basic travel kit ready at all times, as my mother was dying and I made many trips over the 3 years to visit while I could. I have this little tote to hold my main markers, black water proof art pen, scissors, craft knife, aquash pen, and some pre-stamped images. When going on trips away I decide on a theme ahead of time, it may be a limited color and one stamp set. Some other themes have included incire cards, medallions, or I might make somethings that take more time than I would normally dedicate to card making, like trapunto, trapeze.

One thing you might want to consider is what are you going to do whilst actually traveling whether it be in a car, plane, bus or train. I have several packs ready to go, (since I travel by train 2 hours each way at least once every 2 weeks at present for medical checkups!). Water coloring pre-stamped images is easy, but I like variety so some other techniques I do include tea bag folding, iris folding, stitch and embroidery on card (I am doing all my Christmas cards this year by metallic thread stitching directly onto card.) stitch & bead cards. (Take care not to take scissors onto planes - it will be confiscated - needles are OK or at least just 1 or 2!)
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone travel and stamp?-embroidered-flower.jpg   Anyone travel and stamp?-tote-ellen-work.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

The biggest problem I have when I travel is not what clothes to take, but what stamping/scrapping supplies to take. Of course, if you "need" something, it's always a good opportunity to find a LSS. Good luck. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

TIA!
________________________________________________-

When we go Camping, I take my stamping supplies along with me.

I have a couple of bags that I take. In fact they are the same ones that I take to my Scrapping and stamping group.

I have a PaperTaker which holds 12x12 Design Paper from varies companies.
Along with Cardstock.

Then I have a Brief case that holds my Stamps (Unmounted in CD cases)
Plastic Clam shell boxes which have my markers, Ink spots, Embellishments.
Plastic Tube with my Watercolor pencils.

Plastic clam shell boxes that hold smaller scissors for ribbon and paper.
other tools that I might need.

and the other bag I use is a Large tote. that has many pockets to hold all the other stamping supplies. My paper trimmer, Stickes, Mouse pad, Ribbons,
Stamp cleaner and scrubber.

When we go we're gone about 2 to 3 weeks a year. So sometimes having something to do when it's raining or nothing else to do. Then I stamp and create.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I do it every fall when we go on vaction. One thing that I have found works nice is if I decide on cards I want to make ahead of time I cut the paper for each card. I usually alway make 8 cards per style. So I will decide on about 5 or 6 cards I want to make it forces me to not try to take everything and limits me down to exactally what I need to make them. I also take a ruler and traveling scorer and cutter key chain. We only go for a week and I alway get everything done. It always a nice accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

It sounds like so many of us think similarly. Whenever I travel, I work on a single project like Christmas cards. If I am restricted because of packing light, I stamp squares and rectangles of card stock at home and bring my watercolor pencils, a pencil sharpener and blender pens to color the images. I either pack a few "kits" or just finish my cards when I return home.

Thanks for checking my gallery

Click here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

During the summer break I do several school conferences or classes where I am in a hotel room for 3-5 days - classes/meetings during the day and empty hotel room at night. I always take stamping things with me. Usually I take a project that I am working on. I have a suitcase just for my stamping things. Since I usually take a "work in progress" project, I pack everything I need to finish up. I'm getting ready to leave Sunday evening for a week and will be taking a couple of projects with me this time.

I loved reading all the things we all take with us!!
Rhonda

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

All I know, is that I always take more than I can finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Last summer went to Disney but we flew so space was a commodity-this year we are driving (leaving this weekend!) so I will likely bring a very small stash of images to colors with my Copics. I know, crazy-but there will be some down time with our 18 month old. Of course my laptop is coming too-so I will be doing my "research" on SCS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Last year when I travelled to visit my sons and their families in Connecticut and New Jersey, I took a tremendous amount of craft stuff with me, as I had 5 grandchildren to help me "play with my toys". I took far too much as it turned out, but one of my grandsons (according to my d-i-l) had to write an article for his school newspaper, and he wrote that doing crafts with Grandma and learning new card games from her were some of his favourite things. Sniff.
I am planning on a visit with some of the family early next Spring and we are most likely going to meet up in Florida, so I will take far less with me this time
as I don't want to have to lug this stuff all over the place, and I would only be gone for a week anyway, so I MIGHT be able to tough it out craftless for a week. No, on second thought I will take some stuff for my grandsons to do.
When flying to different destinations, I usually have SOMEthing to twiddle with on the plane. Once I had stamped some images and I used my H2o's to colour them in, another time ( before 9/11) I did ribbon embroidery. Paper or Iris folding is something else that can be done on a plane too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

My favorite thing to do while stuck in the car for long periods is to put stamps together! I bring along any unmounted stamps (especially the alphabets and phrase sets that I always dread mounting), my craft and rubber scissors, and a ziploc for excess rubber and sticker trash. The nice thing about this is I can still carry on conversations with my family, and don't have to worry too much about bumps and twists in the road. If you are stuck driving, I guess this wouldn't work so well -- sorry about your luck!

A card stamped each day keeps insanity away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

We went to a cottage last summer and I brought a small rubbermaid-type bin with lid that had in it: a pad of postcards made of watercolour paper, my black stazon, Summer by the Sea stamps and a couple of stamp cubes, my twinkling h20s and an aquapainter.

My favourite stamping activity is colouring, so this was ideal for me. I didn't need to bring any cutters, adhesives or embellishments, or envelopes and I could mail off my finished creations.

The postcards were Fabriano and I got them at Heather's Stamping Haven (she will do mail order if you call her). www.heathersstamping.com The postcards are blank on one side and the other has all the lines and things like any other postcard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I visited in CA for over three weeks and did not take one stamp with me. But the first nine days I stayed with an online stamping friend (I had met her online years ago and we met up in 2006) and we stamped a lot. One day from 7am-12noon. lol. The rest of my visit was with non stampers and I almost did DIE. NEXT I will take a few stamps, inkpads and etc.

Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #39  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 612 Likes on 431 Posts

I did most of my Christmas cards last summer on our short trips to my parent's cottage. I had a bag with all the stuff I needed and just worked on them as I had time. It was a great way to get them done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Don't forget, the stampin' spots are a great way to bring all your ink colors with you.
Reply With Quote Likes