Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Compulsive Stamper

Default Weekend crop--what to expect?

Howdy, everyone! I'm a newbie--to scrapping, stamping, and Splitcoaststampers! A dear friend (who is an accomplished stamper & card maker) introduced me to this site just last week.

I've registered for a weekend crop being held here in Maryland at the end of January 2013. It sounds like lots of creative fun, but since it's all new to me, I'm wondering just what to expect?

I'm hopeful that some of you have attended these events and can share your experiences with me. I'm particularly interested in any tips for surviving the weekend, like what to bring, any questions I should ask of the organizer(s) ahead of time, etc. Since this is my "maiden voyage," I'm not even sure what to ask!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Crimping Master

I love weekend crops! One thing I find is that the more organized and prepared I am, the more I get done! Before I leave, I try to choose my paper and coordinate it with my photos and any other supplies I'm going to use and keep it all together. You can organize it in those inexpensive plastic 12x12 sleeves or buy 12x12 ziploc bags. If you use your Cricut or other die cutting machine, cut as much as you can ahead of time. That way all you have to do is assemble the pages.

Hmmm....what would I ask the organizers? I have been organizing weekend crops for 10 years now, and the most popular questions are....

1. Will there be electricity for my Cricut, light, laptop, etc. Do I need to bring extension cords and duct tape to cover the cords so no one trips.

2. How far are the hotel rooms from the cropping rooms?

3. What restaurants are nearby or is food included? Are the hotel rooms equipped with a refrigerator or microwave? I hate to waste all my precious scrapping time eating out, so I usually take food with me, and eat dinner out one night.

Good luck and have fun!!!! You'll love it
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Is the crop room open all night? How will it be secured?

I would definitely take as little as possible - I "kit" my pages & precut my titles and put them on Xyron strips. Usually do a "project" like a cookbook album, or my latest Disney trip so that I only have to take one selection of papers and related embellishments.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for the great tips, Pam and Linda!

I'll definitely take your suggestions to prepare as much as possible ahead of time. I have to admit to a bit of adult ADD, so figuring out my focus prior to the weekend will help!

I took a look at the crop organizer's website a few minutes ago, and I noticed she has the menus up for the weekend! Looks like we won't have to venture out for too much. And even if we do, the hotel is in an area with lots of options within a very short distance. (The hotel isn't far from where I live, and I've stayed there in the past, so I have less of a learning curve when it comes to the space!) I'm looking forward to seeing what classes and make-and-takes the vendors will offer. Hopefully those will show up on the website soon.

Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

Found you! Welcome to SCS, and have fun! That paper trimmer we talked about is now available . . .
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloleary View Post
Found you! Welcome to SCS, and have fun! That paper trimmer we talked about is now available . . .
Hey, I know you! As for fun...so far, so good! And put me down for one of those paper trimmers.