Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Scrappin' Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-scrappin-talk-f80/)
-   -   To Print or Not to Print (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-scrappin-talk-f80/print-not-print-t579272.html)

Lynn in St. Louis 10-07-2013 07:57 AM

To Print or Not to Print

I'm curious to know if there are scrappers who print their photos at home or does everyone send their prints off to be printed elsewhere?

If you print at home, what type of photo printer do you have?

I have an HP Photosmart 8500, but am having some issues with it, and don't know if I should have it repaired, or buy something else, so I thought I'd see what y'all were using (and loving).

TIA

lutheran 10-08-2013 02:56 AM

I wanted to switch to printing at home but, comparing the cost of ink, paper and a printer, it's really cheaper to go to Walgreens. I looked into getting a small photo-only printer but didn't pull the trigger. If I need a few prints or an enlargement or two, I do it at home on our HP 6520 but bigger jobs like a trip or a holiday go to Walgreens. Not much help here, huh.
Mary Beth

sewflake 10-09-2013 04:50 PM

I quit printing at home years ago... I just could not justify the cost, especially when printing hundreds of photos. I like the quality much better from Sam's Club, than the home printed I had at the time.

NerdyBeth 10-10-2013 04:34 PM

I print my photos at Sams club. It is cheap and easy.

I had a few batches that I was unhappy with., but then they shut down for a while and now they are looking okay again. I wonder if they were having issues with their machine.

I was thinking about trying snapfish. I've done a few books through them and was very happy with the results.

sarahbeth46 10-11-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyBeth (Post 20368770)
I print my photos at Sams club. It is cheap and easy.

I had a few batches that I was unhappy with., but then they shut down for a while and now they are looking okay again. I wonder if they were having issues with their machine.

I was thinking about trying snapfish. I've done a few books through them and was very happy with the results.

I order my photos from Snapfish all of the time. I usually wait until they run a "Penny Prints" discount and then get a bunch printed. I like their matte finish for the photos. The only downside is that to get the matte finish you have to choose the delivery option rather than picking the photos up at your local drug store. They now have "Deco" prints for your Instagrams too.

Scrappy48 10-14-2013 05:59 AM

I've done most of my photo printing at home. I have an Epson Stylus NX200 printer and love it. I also live in a rural area, nearest (Walgreen's or Walmart) store is 20 miles one way so my morning or afternoon is pretty much shot when I have to run in to town. I like being able to pick out my pictures, print them, then do the layout without having a ton of extra pictures I won't use. I know I could probably do the same thing at the store, using a memory card, but I prefer to print as I create. I like being able to fix, enlarge or downsize, re-color (or black&white) my pictures to suit my layouts too! Its mostly a personal preference for me.

cat_woman 10-19-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy48 (Post 20372556)
I've done most of my photo printing at home. I have an Epson Stylus NX200 printer and love it. I also live in a rural area, nearest (Walgreen's or Walmart) store is 20 miles one way so my morning or afternoon is pretty much shot when I have to run in to town. I like being able to pick out my pictures, print them, then do the layout without having a ton of extra pictures I won't use. I know I could probably do the same thing at the store, using a memory card, but I prefer to print as I create. I like being able to fix, enlarge or downsize, re-color (or black&white) my pictures to suit my layouts too! Its mostly a personal preference for me.

These are my sentiments as well. I don't live in a rural area, and the nearest place to print pictures is only 5 minutes away, but I love the convenience of being able to print whatever size I want at home (and sometimes more economical since stores charge crazy amounts for odd sized pictures or if I make a mistake or two and have to reprint the same picture a couple times). I just recently bought a wide format printer so I'll also be able to print some of my digital scrapbook papers at home. Its very exciting. :)

slyn11 10-20-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_woman (Post 20379677)
These are my sentiments as well. I don't live in a rural area, and the nearest place to print pictures is only 5 minutes away, but I love the convenience of being able to print whatever size I want at home (and sometimes more economical since stores charge crazy amounts for odd sized pictures or if I make a mistake or two and have to reprint the same picture a couple times). I just recently bought a wide format printer so I'll also be able to print some of my digital scrapbook papers at home. Its very exciting. :)

I agree with this and the one above her. I print as needed. I find having tons of printed by unscrapped photos daunting. I much prefer to print for the project at hand. I have a Canon Selphy which I love and a HP Photosmart 7520 which I like.

I have plenty of nearby printing options but I never was happy with my prints...cut off heads...hated waiting...didn't like the coloring...printing at home I am satisfied.

Bobbi G 10-23-2013 04:43 AM

I have tried Sam's, Costco, and Walgreens and had inconsistent quality. I am trying hard on becoming a better photographer and find I like larger prints on soft matte finish papers.
For several years I used an Epson printer but it jammed too easily and swallowed ink like it was water. I now have a Canon pro 9500. I LOVE this printer. It is expensive but it has not jammed once in three years; resulting in no wasted ink or paper. The colors are true and accurate. I highly sing its praises if you choose to do your own printing!
Occasionally I have used Costco when I have hundreds of images from a trip..then I'll reprint the special ones on matte paper to use on cards, scrapbooks or frame.

from the heart 10-23-2013 09:23 AM

I do both. When I have a lot of prints I use Wal-Mart. But like the other ladies, I like to print a photo in a different size or with different elements. I absolutely love my Epson Artisan 800. Excellent on ink and the colours are amazing. It also wireless so I can work in my craft room with my laptop and print from there.

jeannee 10-23-2013 11:24 AM

I have an Epson RX 680. I have had several Epson printers and loved the quality of the photos. I use my printer to make copies of things on the internet that I can use in scrapping and card making. It is imperative that the colors are true...and despite the usage of ink...I find my colors are beautiful in all of my projects. There are some newer printers by Epson on the market, but until this one breaks down, I have not looked into them. I originally bought this one because it uses my memory card and restores old photos that I use in my scrapping.