Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Gallery Gazer

Default VIRTUAL HOMETOWN TOURS

Are you ready for some summer state hopping? We're off to visit our fellow peeps' hometowns. Each day for the next week and a half, we'll post a little write up including link and information to interesting attractions, places, etc. in each of our hometowns. We'll enjoy a virtual tour of each of these places - it'll almost be like we're there! At the end, post a challenge relating to something about your hometown. We'll have until August 11th to complete & download your challenge creations. I've created a separate thread called Virtual Hometown Tour to post our day trips and use the keyword: HOMETOWN10 when downloading your challenges so we can find them in the gallery.

If you have any questions (or, if I screwed something up, please let me know. If you can't complete your post on the day scheduled, please find a "sister" to trade days with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

Just subbing!! You know I'll be here for the Grand Tour! Thanks for getting this organized Jacq!!!!!!!

~ Proud Fan Club Member! ~
Gina K. Designs DT Coordinator
My Blog: My Reality...It's All Good!
Stamp TV!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Glitter Guru

So fun!! I'm super excited to play along with this one. I know I flaked out last time, but I promise I've got it down this year. I even picked up some stamps for my challenge the other day at Impress. Thanks, Jacq, for organizing this for us! Looking forward to visiting my peeps on their turf!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Glitter Guru

Can I suggest that we put the schedule at the top as a Sticky? Just a suggestion.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Default First stop: Salem!

I'm pretty sure I'm first up and I'm posting early because I figure most of you won't see it until morning anyway! Can't wait to hear what you think of the tour. I crammed a lot in one "day!"

Good morning, and welcome to Day 1 of our hometown tour! I was born in Salem, Oregon, and spent the first 18 years of my life in a rural area just outside of town. I’ve been gone almost as long as I lived there, and over time I’ve really come to appreciate all that my hometown (and home state!) really has to offer. At the time it seemed so BORING! Now I can’t wait to get “home” and get a chance to revisit some of my favorite places, and I can’t wait to show a few of them to you.

First, a few facts: Salem is the capital of Oregon, and has a population of about 150,000 people. The city dates to 1842, making it even older than the state itself! It’s also in the heart of the Willamette Valley, an area with rich soil that is known for its agriculture. You can read a brief history of the city and learn more about its name HERE.

We’ll actually start our tour in a small town just a few minutes east of Salem, however. Silverton is just a few miles from the region I grew up in, and it is a charming community! Read more HERE. Perhaps you’ve heard of the town’s mayor? Learn more about the mayor HERE. (It's worth the read, I promise!)

Maybe we’ll run into the mayor in historic downtown Silverton, where we’ll start our day with some breakfast at O’Brien’s. This country kitchen sits on the river, and on a nice day, you can eat outside! We need a good hearty breakfast, too, because I have a VERY full day planned for you. I hope you packed some good walking shoes!

Next on our agenda is the Oregon Garden! This beautiful locale is a popular wedding spot and also a fun night out during the summer, when they have concerts and other fun activities.

After visiting the garden, we’re heading for our morning hike at Silver Falls State Park. (Scroll down that page to watch a short video of the park!) There are no words for the beauty of this place. It is particularly lovely in late spring and early summer, when the wildflowers really start to bloom! You can take a quick one-mile hike and get a glimpse of the majestic South Falls, or you can put on your hiking boots and aim for ten waterfalls along the Canyon Trail. Four of the falls along the trail have access behind the falls so you can feel the damp spray and get a unique look at the rushing waters!

After the hike, you’ll probably be ready for lunch! Just your luck, I stopped at one of the fabulous farm stands that can be found along the back roads between Salem, Silverton and the falls and picked up cheese, fruit, wine and other Oregon delicacies for a picnic! One of my favorite stands, EZ Orchards, also has a shortcake shack. In spring and summer, you can get delicious homemade shortcake with fresh strawberries, peaches or other delicious Willamette Valley fruits. In the fall, they also sell the most delicious apple cider doughnuts. Yum!!!

Well, that was a full morning. I hope you have energy left for the afternoon! We’re actually going to head into Salem now. But first we’re going to stop in Keizer, a small suburb of Salem. I couldn’t let you pass this close to the Iris Capital of the World without a visit to Schreiner’s Iris Garden. In May, unless spring arrives late, this area is covered in gorgeous bearded irises, which just happen to be my favorite flower. They have so many varieties and colors, I’m sure you’ll find something to take home and plant!

Ok, we’ve finally reached downtown Salem, and our first stop is a tour of the state Capital! Don’t forget to take a photo of the gold man!

While in downtown Salem, we’ll stop at Bush’s Pasture Park, or what I always thought of as Salem’s version of Central Park. In the summer, the park is host to a fabulous art fair with artisans from all of the state selling and demonstrating their wares. The park also has a fabulous rose garden, the “art barn,” where I took a ceramics class as a child, and the historic Bush House.

Our next stop in downtown Salem is Riverfront Park, where we’ll take a ride on the Carousel and enjoy a view of the river.

Are you ready for a little relaxation yet? Now seems as good a time as any to visit a couple of Oregon wineries. There are numerous wineries in the hills around Salem. Willamette Valley Vineyards is one popular spot, and the wine is pretty good, too! Another good one is Eola Hills, where you can also enjoy a delicious brunch on Sundays.

And since we’re headed that direction anyway, we might as well end our tour at one of my favorite places in all of the world, the Oregon Coast! One thing that was so wonderful about living in Salem all those years was its proximity to so many other wonderful places. You can be in the mountains skiing or at the beach walking on the sand in an hour or so. Portland is an hour north, and Eugene, just an hour south.

We’re headed west, though, and we’ll end our very full day in Lincoln City at sunset! Isn’t the view gorgeous?

Check the next post for your Salem challenge!

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse

Last edited by eliotstamps; 11-11-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Salem Challenge!

OK, girls, your first hometown challenge is this: Use Silver Falls as your inspiration for a card or project. You can use the photo in the above post as an inspiration piece, use silver on your project, or feature something that "falls" - rain, leaves, snow - on your card, or make a waterfall card! I confess I didn't have time to make a new card as a sample, but I did have one in my files that I hadn't shared yet. It might be a stretch (haha!), but I think it captures "falls!"

--Henri Matisse

Last edited by eliotstamps; 11-11-2011 at 02:03 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Glitter Guru

Great tour, Mish! I love Oregon, too - we used to go there every summer when my oldest daughter played softball. Most of the parents ditched their kids and headed for the wine country. LOL Sadly, I was the responsible parent - I had to stay back. But I have very fond memories of the Salem area. Great challenge, and love your take on it. LOL Funny girl. Thanks, Mish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
OK, girls, your first hometown challenge is this: Use Silver Falls as your inspiration for a card or project. You can use the photo in the above post as an inspiration piece, use silver on your project, or feature something that "falls" - rain, leaves, snow - on your card, or make a waterfall card! I confess I didn't have time to make a new card as a sample, but I did have one in my files that I hadn't shared yet. It might be a stretch (haha!), but I think it captures "falls!"
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Heya Mish! Off to a fun start!!!

Oh dear......that mayor guy/girl/etc.............ummmm...........I have no words! LOL

Breakfast.........deeelicious! I had a 3 Finger Jack and a Hot Chai!!! Ohhh the gardens are gorgeous! Oooooo the Water Garden is lovely and the Axis Fountain in winer is spectacular! I loved the sweet Children's Garden!!! The Pet Friendly Garden is so cool and the Rose Garden is STUNNING!!!!

Ok, my bum knee acted up after the Gardens, but I cowgirled up 'cuz I just HAD to see those Falls in person at the State Park! Fantabulous!!!

Oh how deeelish! I enjoyed some Mixed Berry Shortcake since I'd never tried Marionberries before!! And of course I had to go to the bakery and stock up on some goodies!!! Someday I will be somewhere in the Fall where there are Apple Cider Donuts.....I am DYING to try some!!!! LOL

Oh such pretty Irises! We have some beautiful wild Iris here, I don't know how well any others would grow up here. The Capitol is also so pretty....such lush green and flowers! Got a snapshot of the Gold Man too! I enjoyed some relaxing reading in the Gazebo at Bush's. And oh I'd so love a wonderful VSN Alum Carousel Tea Party, wouldn't you all???

I'm not much of a wine drinker, I like sweeter liqueurs, but I so enjoyed the tours! I especially enjoyed the beach!!! Being so landlocked it's always so special for me to see the vastness of the Ocean and the gorgeous sunsets! I just had to go visit the glassblowers....that's just so beautiful and fascinating!

Thanks Mish for a SPECtacular beginning to our Hometown Tours!!!! Can't wait to check out the challenge!!

Stamp TV!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Quote:
HeeHeeHeeHee! Cute card!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Works pretty well with the mayor, too.

Cool tour, Mish!
Gallery Blog
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
Works pretty well with the mayor, too.

Cool tour, Mish!

Stamp TV!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Mish,

Thanks for starting us off with a fantastic tour. So much to see and eat and enjoy. Still not sure about who they elect for mayor, but I think your sample for your challenge says something. Now I have some places to check out if I can ever get to Oregon.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
Gallery Gazer

If anyone knows how to do this I say go for it. I had another crazy day in Water World so I'll have to catch up. I've never been to Oregon before so I can't wait to check it out! Thanks Michelle for getting us started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkarlon View Post
Can I suggest that we put the schedule at the top as a Sticky? Just a suggestion.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
If anyone knows how to do this I say go for it. I had another crazy day in Water World so I'll have to catch up. I've never been to Oregon before so I can't wait to check it out! Thanks Michelle for getting us started!
I think the only thing you could do is edit the original post, if it will still let you, and add the schedule there. I think stickies only work on threads, not posts. I could be wrong, though.

Also, I'm so glad you all enjoyed your little trip to Oregon. Lee, your smilies were hilarious! There are so many more places I could've shown you, but that was a long day trip already and I ran out of steam while I was assembling my post! Also, I hope no one was offended by the mayor - but that's one thing Silverton is well known for, and it makes me giggle - albeit probably inappropriately!

I can't wait to see where we are off to next!

--Henri Matisse
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

No offense here Mish....I think you know all of us well enough to know we'd all laugh our butts off!

Stamp TV!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
Glitter Guru

Great tour, Michelle! I've never been to Oregon, but it is beautiful! Fun places too. I made my card and posted it in the gallery.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad you enjoyed the tour, Pat! Your card is fabulous!

--Henri Matisse
Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva

OMGosh Mish...we are so stopping for a day in Salem the next time we head out to the Oregon Coast. I am really itching to see the Oregon Garden. A hike to Silver Falls is just up my family's alley. My favorite part of Lincoln City is building a fort with all the drift wood.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #19
Glitter Guru

Default Welcome to Orlando, Florida!

Although I originally lived in Falls Church, VA, I have called Orlando home almost continually since 1958. My grandparents retired in Orlando and we came down to visit them in the summer of 1958. My parents loved it and we moved in October. Orlando is known as “the city beautiful” and it really is.

Orlando is located near the center of Florida. It is about 45 minutes from the Atlantic Coast and about 2 hours from the Gulf Coast. For a history of Orlando, click here. Orlando has been the county seat of Orange County since 1856. When I first moved to Orlando it was much smaller than it is now. It was much more of a small town with the main shopping area downtown. Before Disney and the other attractions came, the downtown fountain at Lake Eola Park was Orlando’s biggest attraction. The fountain was struck by lightning in September of 2009 and repairs were just finished in May. The park also has swan paddle boats that you can pedal around the lake. (A little known fact: Jean and her DH were married on a dock on this lake.) Other auspicious events are held at Lake Eola Park such as arts & crafts fairs, pet fairs, health fairs, cultural events, and the city’s annual fireworks display. At night, the fountain lights up and is very beautiful.

Orlando is surrounded by smaller municipalities such as College Park, Winter Park, Azaela Park, Conway, and Union Park that make up the greater Orlando metropolitan area.

Ready for lunch? Let’s go to Hot Olives in Winter Park. It’s a little too hot to eat on the patio today, but it will be cool and comfy inside.

Today, Orlando serves as a jumping-off point for the nearby attractions. Sea World, Universal Studios, Gatorland, and all the attractions at Walt Disney World are just a short distance away. The Orange County Convention Center on International Drive is a popular destination for conventions and conferences from all over the world. This is where CHA was held last summer.

Since we’re on International Drive, let’s have dinner at Taverna Opa! The Greek food is fabulous here. For the best service, eat in the bar. The bar tender will make your hummus right in front of you. Feel free to join in the festive atmosphere. Opa!

If you feel like shopping, International Drive has every kind of outlet store you can imagine! Next to the attractions, it is the most popular place for tourists.

I hope you have enjoyed this quick tour of my hometown!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #20
Glitter Guru

Orlando is definitely a “magic” place. It is home to the Orlando Magic basket ball team, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and the Magic Kingdom. Your challenge is to make a card that relates to magic. It could be a magic person or creature, or contain a sentiment with the word magic in it. I'm pretty sure a magic card would have to have glitter or bling.

Don't forget the keyword is HOMETOWN10.
Attached Thumbnails
wishing-magic-pgc.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #21
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the tour, Pat! Your card is fabulous!
Thank you, Michelle. I so wanted to make a card with wine on it! I have 2 great wine stamps that I rarely use. I loved the gardens and the golden man statue today.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Pat, who knew that Orlando had so much more to offer than Disney World! We may have to make a trip down to Lake Eola Park next time (if we can drag ourselves away from the mouse!) The Hot Olive looks like an amazing place to eat. You sure have seen this little city grow over the years. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Ok, so I have a "falls" card and a "magic" card to make, hmm, I will have to think about those (couldn't take a picture of it now anyway since DH has the camera at scout camp!)

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Pat, thank you for a delightful tour! The swan boats on the lake are hilarious to me! Loved the yummy restaurants - I am now craving some good Greek food and a lobster club sandwich! I've never been to Florida in real life, but I will get there one day. I'd love to see the Disney parks and the new Wizarding World. I will have to think on a "magic" card, but I'm sure I can find something that will work!

--Henri Matisse
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Wow!!! Another gorgeous water fountain!!!! Definitely one thing missing here in landlockedness is awesome water features and gardens!!

Oh those swan paddle boats are so cute! Wonder if they'd hold me? LOL
The night lighting is gorgeous on the fountain....what a beautiful wedding back drop for sure!!!

Who named a town "Winter Park" in Florida!? LOL Well, I tell ya what....that Lobster Club along with the free Bruschetta is right up my alley!!!

Well one day sure isn't enough for Disney and all the amazing attractions.....someday when we're retired we'll come in winter and enjoy lots of time visiting everything and everyone!

You know I've never had much Greek food!! I think just Baklava a long time ago and a Gyro occasionally. So much to try and taste!!!!

Pat....thanks for a wonderful tour!!! And Ohhhh is your card just aDORable!!!! Hmmm.........magic, glitter, and bling! Can I handle it? LOL

Stamp TV!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm behind, just starting with Mish! I had "issues" yesterday to deal with! More today. I'll catch up. We do have some great tour guides so far!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #27
Glitter Guru

I feel a little bit bad that I left out all the "cultural" locations in Orlando. We also have beautiful Leu Gardens, 6 small art museums (including the largest collection of Tiffany glass in one location), a science center with planetarium, a great local history center, a symphony orchestra, a ballet company, and an opera company.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, I have always wanted to go to Oregon. I'll definitely put that on my bucket list now! The Oregon you showed us is fun. Gotta love the mayor! And even though I am quite familiar with Orlando/Winter Park, it was fun to visit some old haunts, especially Taverna Opa! Love that bartender! Fun, fun, fun girls

Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Pat: What a lovely day tour to Orlando FL. There is always so much to see and do and hard to fit everything into 1 day. We'll just have to save the rest for another day.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

Jean: Hope your 'issues' have been resolved on the good side.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by casep View Post
I feel a little bit bad that I left out all the "cultural" locations in Orlando. We also have beautiful Leu Gardens, 6 small art museums (including the largest collection of Tiffany glass in one location), a science center with planetarium, a great local history center, a symphony orchestra, a ballet company, and an opera company.
Ehhhhhhhh, the REAL question is: "Where are the bars?!!!"

Old 07-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Sorry, I am 2 behind (I didn't know where to find it!) but I have been a little crazy....but good crazy with GOOD NEWS!

Joe got approved for 3/4 disability! That means he has arrested his last bad guy and has maybe 2 more months until he is officially retired! ACK!

I gotta get busy on these challenges and my own for Friday so I'll be back!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #33
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

AWESOME news Denise!!!!!!! Yaaaay!!!!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #34
Glitter Guru

Good news, D! We'll celebrate when you get here!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #35
Gallery Gazer

That mayor bit was too funny. I can't believe he "advertises" O'Briend's was yummy - my sister's last name is O'Brien. Loved the gardens...especially the water garden and of course, the pet garden. Piper liked it too!

I agree Michelle, the swans were a hoot but the lakeside and area was beautiful. I'd like to ride a giant swan! Jean - did you and hubby ride off into the sunset on one of those after the ceremony? Of course, one can never get too much of Disney. I just knew we would stop there!

Yay for Joe, Denise. Good luck to him.

I will be behind on my cards too until at least this weekend. Maybe I can do them Friday. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #36
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I am hoping to get caught up tomorrow....

PS that mayor is a riot!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

Default One Hour From Sullivan WI - Part 1

OK, how do you top Salem OR and Orlando FL? I know I’ll just wow you with some neat little places within an hour of Sullivan, WI, that you may enjoy. Most of the cities were named for Indian’s or Indian words so have fun pronouncing them. The lovely motor coaches that met us this morning are compliments of Riteway Bus out of Richfield, WI. I worked for them when I was getting my associate’s degree back in 1994-1996. This way we can travel in comfort as we do our site seeing today. I have also received enough donations to pay for all our admission fees along the way. We only have to worry about our meals and souvenirs. Hope you all have a great day.

Just a few little things while we travel to our first stop of the day. I have always lived in WI. I am the only one of my immediate family that has not lived outside of WI, (Mom, Pops, brothers, sister and son). I was born in Burlington, which is nicknamed "Chocolate City, U.S.A.", because of the Nestlé chocolate factory built there in 1966. It is also home to an annual ChocolateFest on Memorial Day weekend. Moved to a few other little towns but spent most of my life in Waukesha and then Menomonee Falls when I got married and Germantown when I got divorced. I moved back to Waukesha when my oldest brother passed away in 2003 to live with his widow. When she decided to sell the house and move closer to her family in 2006, my Mother asked me to move in with her so that she would not be living alone. So I moved to Sullivan.

Wisconsin is famous for the Milwaukee Art Center on Lake Michigan, Beer, Festivals, The Dells, Frank Lloyd Wright buildings and much more. Unfortunately, we won’t have time to visit those places. We will however, be going back and forth through some of the Southern Kettle Moraine area to some interesting places within 1 hour of Sullivan in our travels.

The busses have brought us to our starting point in Sullivan (formerly Winfield), a village in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 688 at the 2000 census. The village is located within the Town of Sullivan, and is known to residents of the Milwaukee metro area as the location of the National Weather Service forecast office for WXJ-87. See the little building and tall antenna up the hill on your left? (Funny side note: When I looked up WXJ-87 on BING, it showed a link to YouTube: Cutting Stamps on the Cricut.)

I live with my 84 year old mother in a Mobil Home Park about a mile before you get to downtown Sullivan and over the hill from the National Weather Service forecast office. We are surrounded by farmer’s fields. Not much else to see other than the St. Mary’s Church on the corner of HWY 18 & F, the gas station, post office, bank, garage, laundromat, Town Hall and Bridal Shoppe. The Sullivan Saloon is a place where you can get good food. If you really want to go out to eat, you have to go to Watertown or Oconomowoc.

There is a lot of interesting history in the area and we’ll stop and check out some places close by.

As we head up Hwy F north to I-94, we will pass Concord WI where on February 1, 1860, Charles Ingalls married Caroline Lake Quiner (future parents of Laura Ingalls Wilder, "Little House on the Prairie"). Caroline was also the earliest known settler born in Brookfield WI, which is between Sullivan and Milwaukee. We won’t be stopping there but you can check out the marker here.

We’ll take a quick trip west to Watertown WI and a tour of The Octagon House. Check out the link to other buildings on the grounds to see the First Kindergarten in the United States. We can stop at one of the Cheese Factories and pick up some Cheese Curds to munch on as we continue our travels.

We won’t have time for this today, but wanted to tell you about a great place about 30 minutes south of Watertown, The Fireside Theatre in Fort Atkinson. This is family owned and it is a Dinner and Show Theatre. It may not be the same as seeing a Broadway Show in New York, but I think it takes a very close second. They have beautiful shops to browse between the meal and the show.

Heading east from Watertown, we’ll stop at Oconomowoc. The site tells how the city got its name, but the locals claim the following story. Elderly Chief Ocono decided it was time for the tribe to move to their summer grounds and had the tribe pack everything up and started walking west. They walked and walked and finally they stopped. After quite a little bit a brave asked Chief Ocono while they stopped. Chief Ocono answered….Ocon no mo walk no more. And the site they stopped at became known as Oconomowoc. (Sorry for the bad joke.)

Fueled by its growing reputation, Oconomowoc entered a new era marked by the title "Newport of the West." This era began in the 1870s and continued into the 1930s. Lured by Oconomowoc's great beauty, families of wealth from Chicago, St. Louis and Milwaukee crowded its lake shores with palatial, colonnaded country mansions and lavish landscapes. At one time, Lake Road was referred to as Presidents' Avenue since Taft, Grant, Cleveland, Coolidge, McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt had visited and enjoyed famous Draper Hall and the hospitality of its wealthy residents.

Most of the farm land belonged to the PABST family of Pabst Brewery fame. Most of that land has been sold off in recent years and built up with healthcare facilities, homes, and stores.

Next we’ll take a little trip south on the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive that goes through the Kettle Moraine State Forest – Southern Unit, More than 20,000 acres of glacial hills, kettles, lakes, prairie restoration sites, pine woods and hardwood forests can be found in the Southern Unit, making this a popular area for a wide variety of visitors. The 3,500-acre Scuppernong River Habitat Area is the largest wet prairie east of the Mississippi River.

We will stop for a step back in time and lunch in a little town called Eagle WI. Eagle is the home to Wisconsin Historical Society’s Old World Wisconsin. It is a living history stop where you can ‘Return to Wisconsin of the late 19th century, when waves of immigrants came to America's heartland in search of a better life’. Lovely old buildings and working farms, just like during that time. Unfortunately, there are no planned activities today, but there is still a lot to see and do. If you are hungry you can have a bite to eat at the Clausen Barn Restaurant during our time here.

Heading a little further south we’ll do 2 stops in East Troy. The first will be at Alpine Valley. On August 26, 1990, Stevie Ray Vaughan played at the Theatre, with his group, Double Trouble and other blues greats Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, and his brother Jimmie Vaughan. After the concert, Vaughan left the theatre area in a helicopter to return to Chicago, and he and four others were killed when the helicopter crashed into a ski hill within the Alpine Valley resort.

Our second stop will be at the East Troy Electric Railroad where we will take a 7-mile ride on a passenger excursion on a stretch of track from East Troy, Wisconsin to Mukwonago, Wisconsin where our busses will pick us up at our next stop The Elegant Farmer. We can all pick up one of their famous Apple Pie Baked in a Paper Bag. The Elegant Farmer's Brown Bag Apple Pie is so popular; they sell 10,000 during Thanksgiving week alone! The Food Network’s – Throw Down with Bobby Flay, filmed the challenge on 9/23/2008 and aired the episode for their November 20th holiday special. Taste Buds also notes that Elegant Farmer is featured in Paula Deen’s Holiday Baking, September 2008. Ms. Deen says the pie “has a taste that will make your grandma blush!”. You can find the Recipe here.

Since we didn’t have time to actually see a show at the Fireside, we’ll stop at Ten Chimneys, in Genesee Depot WI. The estate lovingly created by theatre legends Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne, is open to the public as a world-class house museum and national resource for theatre, arts, and arts education.

Our next stop in Waukesha (where I lived from age 6 until I was 24.) All streets seem to lead to the 5 Points in downtown Waukesha. It was originally called Prairieville and had high hopes of becoming the Capital of WI. That did not happen, but it was known for its Natural Springs and had many famous people visit, including Mary Todd Lincoln.

Continued on next post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

Default One Hour from Sullivan WI - Part 2 & Challenge

On our trip today we saw many signs for bike trails. Wisconsin has a lot of bike trails (built on old railroad property). The closest to us is the Glacial Drumlin State Park Trail. With all the rain and heat we have had the mosquitoes will be bad so I won’t take you on that tour today.

We’ll stop for a farm dinner at the Machine Shed and then head on down to Frame Park on the Fox River and take in the Badgerland Water Ski Show Team > Home show featuring pyramids, barefoot water skiing, jumping and chorus lines on the water.

I hope you have enjoyed your day, but now we need to get going if we are going to catch our private jets at the Waukesha County Airport / Crites Field, that will take us to our private jet at General Billy Mitchell Field Airport in Milwaukee, for our next stop - Houston TX

CHALLENGE

Sullivan WI may not have a lot to see and do but there is plenty within a one hour drive. (We didn’t even get to Madison, home of Gina K, or Milwaukee.

Your SULLIVAN challenge is to create a card or project using your favorite stop and somewhere on the card you must use the colors green for all the lovely vegetation in the Kettle Moraine area and yellow/orange to represent cheese curds.

Don’t forget the keyword is HOMETOWN10.

Sample will be posted after technical difficulties with camera is resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
sullivan-pop-688.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #39
Stazon Splitcoast

Default One Hour from Sullivan WI - Part 3

For some reason I am not able to edit either my Part 1 or Part 2 posts so will have to put my sample here.

I do have to apologize as I cheated on my sample. This is the very 1st card I made on SCS but I thought it fit perfectly. It represents the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive. The snake is yellow/orange. (I am working on another specfically for this challenge.)
Attached Thumbnails
jan08vsnmini1_001_by_robyn_o.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #40
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

How totally coincidental! I have a friend who grew up in Sullivan.....we lost touch years ago though as we both had our families and kinda went different ways in life. But she was my roommate when I lived in Oconomowoc for a year when I was 21, right before I met hubby back home in Colorado! One thing that was so different for me was the humidity! I grew up in a very dry climate, so it certainly was something in both winter and summer to feel the humidity!!

Oh the Sullivan Saloon has a fish fry.......I also had never heard of Friday Fish Fry until I lived in WI. It's amazing the regional differences! OMGosh the Octagon House had running water, air conditioning and heating in 1854 is absolutely amazing!!!! And OMGosh a Johnny Cash show is playing at the Fireside Theater! I'm totally staying for that!!!

Oh the Kettle Moraine forest is gorgeous! I'd love to visit again with our grown family as I think the appreciation for everything would be so enhanced!! Ok, I've got that Apple Pie recipe printed! I'll keep you posted when I make it! I never knew there was so much theater life in the area.....as young 20 yr. olds just trying to make it we didn't do things like that! We spent all our free time at my roommate's brother's place on the lake! Soooo many lakes and it was so awesome for this landlocked kid to see!!! Although they did take me to a dairy farm and I got to see cheese being made first hand!!

I think I'm in the mood for a hearty breakfast meal now at the Machine Shed! LOL

Your card is so dang cute! I'll work on the challenge!! Thanks so much for your wonderful tour!!!

Stamp TV!