Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #2001
Polyshrink Goddess

not really dinner BUT i did actually make them... a stretch to say 'make' because they are really easy -
we had these for a quick snack, but can be a side to a steak or chicken dinner... we all have made ourselves sick because we can't stop eating them!

blue cheese bites

1 pkg plain cheap store brand tube biscuits (10 ct)
1 4oz pkg blue cheese crumbles
1 stick butter (or marg. but butter is soooooooooooo much better!)*‹*

open the biscuits and tear or cut them into 1/4 pieces and put in a pie pan
in a separate bowl, melt the butter and blue cheese in the microwave until butter and cheese are melted, stir and pour over the dough in the pan - bake according to the biscuit directions (usually 10-13 minutes, usually on 400*) let cool a bit and DIG IN!
*disclaimer: not responsible for belly ache or weight gain because of these yummy things!*
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #2002
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklloyd View Post
In addition to spaghetti, lasagna, and grilled burgers here are some of things we make using ground beef... chili, stuffed peppers, meatball sandwiches, taco soup, tacos/burritos, taco salad, enchilada casserole (can you tell I love mexican food??)
for a quick dinner, i add ground beef (cooked) to prepared beef rice a roni - add some cooked peas or corn and some worst. sauce and viola - a complete meal - great the next day too!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #2003
Watercolor Wizard

I haven't been feeling well either, so I haven't cooked much for the past few days. Everyone at my house has had to fend for themselves! You know something wrong with you when even chocolate cake sounds gross.

I'm better now, and last night I went to a little cooking club. We made Italian Pinwheel Meatloaf. The recipe is from Taste of Home magazine. I thought it was very good, but DH didn't really like the plate I brought home and reheated for him. He's pretty picky sometimes though.

Italian Pinwheel Meatloaf

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup. spaghetti sauce or ketchup
1 tbsp. fresh parsley (or less, dried)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 lbs. lean ground beef
6-12 slices part skim mozzarella cheese
4 oz. deli ham, sliced

Additional spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional

In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.

On a heavy piece of heavy duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12 inch x 10 inch rectangle. Layer with six cheese slices and ham. Roll up jelly roll style starting with a short side and peeling foil away while while. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 70 minutes until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160. Top with remaining cheese, bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional spaghetti sauce if desired.

Yield: 8 servings
Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #2004
Stampin' Fool

Tonight I am going to try my hand at making Eggplant Parmesan. I had some of this while I was on vacation. We will see if the kids can take a bite without crying! ha ha!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #2005
Stazon Splitcoast

one of my favorite foods...yummy! no one likes it in my house except for me, though after all the new foods my hubby and son ate on vacation, I think I'm going to give it another whirl this summer.

since we just got back from vacation this morning, we are right now perusing take-out menus....i just might need to get me some of this tonight!!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #2006
Stazon Splitcoast

before I go crazy searching, does anyone know if the crockpot ribs recipe has been posted and if so (about) when/what page, so i can make it for Dad's day! many thanks in advance....
Old 06-16-2007, 02:42 PM   #2007
Insane Embellisher

Hello Ladies...the gumbo last week was great and I promise I will get the recipe on here shortly (I let my MIL borrow the cookbook to copy a few things out of it, so as soon as I get it back I'll post).

I have what may be kind of a silly question. I've made a few things up to take over to a friend that just had a baby. I'm taking the dinners, which I've already fixed and frozen, to her tomorrow and it dawned on me that I don't usually cook like this. I usually fix things and toss them right into the oven...How long should I tell her to cook it, from frozen? Any ideas? Would it be better if I had her thaw it first?? I made a meatloaf and a few pasta dishes, similar to Lasagna, if that helps any.... It is pretty obvious that I do not make-ahead very often. I would love some input...

Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #2008
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
before I go crazy searching, does anyone know if the crockpot ribs recipe has been posted and if so (about) when/what page, so i can make it for Dad's day! many thanks in advance....
Not sure if this is the one you were looking for but I just say one on page 50 post # 1965

Old 06-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #2009
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Hello Ladies...the gumbo last week was great and I promise I will get the recipe on here shortly (I let my MIL borrow the cookbook to copy a few things out of it, so as soon as I get it back I'll post).

I have what may be kind of a silly question. I've made a few things up to take over to a friend that just had a baby. I'm taking the dinners, which I've already fixed and frozen, to her tomorrow and it dawned on me that I don't usually cook like this. I usually fix things and toss them right into the oven...How long should I tell her to cook it, from frozen? Any ideas? Would it be better if I had her thaw it first?? I made a meatloaf and a few pasta dishes, similar to Lasagna, if that helps any.... It is pretty obvious that I do not make-ahead very often. I would love some input...

Thanks!!
Usually, from frozen I add 30 minutes to the time.

Yesterday we had a funeral lunch at church, so I made macaroni salad for that. Then came home and made tacos for dinner. Tonight we had hamburgers on the grill plus the leftover macaroni salad.

The night before I had made chicken with butter & seasoned salt for DH early for Father's Day and I made this dessert:

Strawberries & Cream

2 qts. strawberries, hulled and cut in half or sliced
2 10 oz. pound cakes or 1 16 oz. pound cake, cut into cubes or fingers
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz. container whipped topping

Mix the milk with the water, add the pudding mix, whisking to blend. Chill for 5 minutes, then fold in the whipped topping.

In a large bowl (a trifle bowl is ideal, but whatever you have) layer cake, strawberries and cream, repeating layers until you reach the top. Chill until ready to serve.

DH *loved* this and so did the girls. It makes a ton, so it took us a couple of days to eat it all and it holds very well over a day; it didn't weep or get sodden after sitting but tasted just as good or even a bit better. You can add jam to the strawberries if you prefer.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #2010
Polyshrink Goddess

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
this is our recipe - so easy and yummy... can also be done with a pork loin... btw, i don't measure anything but the water and broth (i make my own, not canned)... i eyeball the rest - i use boneless country style beef ribs, but any will work! ‹ also, any mustard & any bbq sauce will work! enjoy!

"Fall off the bone honey, maple, BBQ ribs made in the slow cooker."

INGREDIENTS:
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
3 tablespoons honey mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey barbeque sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 T Worstcheshire sauce (or more to taste)
4-5 shakes of Tobasco
3 pounds baby back pork ribs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In the crock of a slow cooker, mix together the beef broth, honey mustard, honey, water, barbeque sauce, soy sauce,Worstcheshire sauce, Tobasco and maple syrup. Slice ribs apart, leaving an even amount of meat on each side of the bone. Place them into the slow cooker so that they are covered by the sauce. If there is not enough sauce, you may add a little water or beef broth to compensate.
Cover, and cook on High for 5 hours, or until the meat falls easily from the bones.

i took them from the crockpot and brushed them with bottled bbq sauce and put them under the broiler for a few minutes until the sauce is cooked on the meat!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #2011
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the recipe! Tried it and it was yummy!
Jen
Old 06-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #2012
Watercolor Wizard

Nobody's been cooking lately?

Tonight we had leftovers from last night, an interesting recipe DH got from someone he works with. Pineapple and Black Bean Enchiladas. Very interesting and not bad. I also made Caramel Bars or dessert. Yummy!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #2013
Die Cut Diva

I still haven't been cooking.

DH is gone Tuesday and Thursday nights and I am gone on Wed nights.

I JUST made out my menu again for the first time in over a month here it goes:

Tonight: Quizno's (they have by one get one)
Mon: Pork Chops
Tues: Pizza
Wed: Chicken Nuggets
Thurs: Chicken Kiev
Friday: Marinated Prime Rib
Sat: McDonalds (daddy will be out of town)
Sun: Steaks
Monday: Fried chicken with cream gravy
Tues: Pan Fried Fish
Wed: Hamburgers and Hotdogs grilled
Thurs: Tacos (chicken with the fixin's)
Fri: Pizza
Sat: Ham Steaks
Sun: Spaghetti with garlic bread

Of course all of these things could change or be moved around. I would count on being moved according to what I feel like.

Hope everyone has been enjoying their summer so far!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #2014
Watercolor Wizard

Mmmmmm........yesterday we went to Costco and picked up huge shrimp and crab legs. We wrapped the shrimp in bacon and put shrimp and crab on the grill (charcoal). It was so freakin yummo!

The crab was so good done on the grill. I have never had it that way before. The shells were easy (for DH) to break open and it tasted so good.

Friday I bought carne asada from the carnecera and have been marinating it and we will throw it on the grill tonight with homemade tortillas, salsa, guacamole and refried beans.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #2015
Forum Fanatic

homemade tortillas? recipe (or address) please!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #2016
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Heating up a frozen M&M individual pepperoni pizza.

Yep...single gal here
Old 06-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #2017
Watercolor Wizard

Sarah....you would have my address if you signed up to be in our klub (cechat). =)

I bought the ones that I am serving tonight at the carnecera. They make them fresh right there. Mmmm....so good. I do have a recipe for some yummy ones that DH asked if I would make this week so I will dig out the recipe and send it to you.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #2018
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Tonight I made bacon, hash browns (homemade!) and eggs. It was the only thing in the house to cook. I'm really tired of cooking, well really, deciding what to cook is what I'm tired of.

Last night I had one of those Lean Cuisine paninis and the kids ate chicken strips; DH had a gig where they give him a free dinner. The night before we went out to Lone Star steakhouse, the night before was spaghetti.

No clue what we'll have tomorrow!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #2019
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Yum...I love breakfast for dinner I think most times I would rather have breakfast than dinner
Old 06-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #2020
Watercolor Wizard

well tomorrow I am making my famous "Health Cakes" (famous because I created the recipe and everyone I know loves them and asks me to make them....BUT, they really aren't all that healthy....I just pretend they are) =)
Old 06-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #2021
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
homemade tortillas? recipe (or address) please!
Our Wal-mart has a tortilla mix (in the Mexican food aisle) that is amazing. It tastes just like fresh tortillas from my favorite Mexican restaurant. The only problem I have is getting them rolled out thin enough.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 AM   #2022
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post

Strawberries & Cream

2 qts. strawberries, hulled and cut in half or sliced
2 10 oz. pound cakes or 1 16 oz. pound cake, cut into cubes or fingers
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz. container whipped topping

Mix the milk with the water, add the pudding mix, whisking to blend. Chill for 5 minutes, then fold in the whipped topping.

In a large bowl (a trifle bowl is ideal, but whatever you have) layer cake, strawberries and cream, repeating layers until you reach the top. Chill until ready to serve.
I made this last night and everyone LOVED it!! I don't often make a dessert but it is good that I did .... I attempted a chinese chicken stir fry. It tasted ok, but one of those dishes where you don't want seconds! I told DH I'm sticking with ordering out chinese from now on!!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #2023
Insane Embellisher

Tonight we're having sloppy joes made with onion soup mix . Something quick and easy!

Later this week, I'm going to throw a pot roast in the crock pot. You brown the meat before placing it in the crock pot and then add the ingredients for what we call "magic gravy". The gravy is a can of cream of mushroom soup, a package of lipton onion soup mix, and 2 cups of water. Mix together and pour over the meat. It looks rather disgusting when you add it, but it makes the best brown gravy when it cooks!! [that's why it is "magic gravy"]
Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #2024
Watercolor Wizard

No clue about tonight yet. Last night we had popcorn shrimp, mashed potatoes, and corn. VERY starchy, kid friendly, and desperate!

The night before that was cheese ravioli from Costco with meat sauce. I also got fancy and made some chocolate covered strawberries for the first time ever. I ate so many I felt sick!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #2025
Stazon Splitcoast

No clue about tonight. Hubby is away so it's just me and the kids. It'll probably be a frozen pizza or yogurt and fruit for them and a Lean Cuisine for me.
Last night was spaghetti and turkey meatballs. We'll have the leftovers tomorrow night and then hubby is gone again.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #2026
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to jlbech

help help help
I am sure I seen a crockpot recipe for mac and cheese here now I cant find it. Can you help me?
Matthew 6:34 ďSo donít worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Todayís trouble is enough for today."
Old 06-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #2027
Rubber Obsessor

RESERVATIONS tonight!!! (I'm tired) ....
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #2028
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=JanTInk;6245295] I'm really tired of cooking, well really, deciding what to cook is what I'm tired of.[QUOTE]

This I completely understand. I had to haul the dogs to the vet this morning early (left at 6) because it's 150 miles one-way. By the time I got back, got them unloaded, I was already starting to slide downhill. I just got back from the store and put everything away and have no clue what we're having for dinner. I'm just not motivated. If I'd been thinking ahead, I could have picked up something quick and easy to fix while I was at the store, but alas I got nearly all drink items. Too bad they weren't alcoholic drink items!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #2029
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsmith109 View Post
Tonight we're having sloppy joes made with onion soup mix . Something quick and easy!

Later this week, I'm going to throw a pot roast in the crock pot. You brown the meat before placing it in the crock pot and then add the ingredients for what we call "magic gravy". The gravy is a can of cream of mushroom soup, a package of lipton onion soup mix, and 2 cups of water. Mix together and pour over the meat. It looks rather disgusting when you add it, but it makes the best brown gravy when it cooks!! [that's why it is "magic gravy"]
I do the same thing with my pot roasts. It does make great gravy.

We have been on vacation until yesterday and I'm not very motivated to cook. I feel like Jan, tired of figuring out what we are going to eat. Planning it and then having DH come home and not want it. I'm making my grocery list right now for tonight and I need to plan my menu for the week. I think I have a roast in the freezer that I might throw in the crockpot with french onion soup and have "french dips." I'm not a huge red meat lover, so lots of salad for me.

Who knows what we will have tonight. Thursday will be Papa Murphy's pizza since I have a stamp workshop in the kitchen.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #2030
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I feel like Jan, tired of figuring out what we are going to eat. Planning it and then having DH come home and not want it.
Yup, me too! Drives me nuts when I try to make something like tacos only to have DH come home and tell me about the wonderful Mexican restaurant he went to for lunch! Sheesh!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #2031
Forum Fanatic

I'm tired too! But today I ran home at lunch and threw dinner in the crockpot...

1 can of black beans - drained/rinsed
1 can of tomatoes with green chillies (Fire Roasted by Muir Glenn - great product)
1 cup of frozen corn
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup barley
1 package frozen spinach
cumin, chili powder, cayene, onion powder and granulated garlic to taste

Put in on low

I'll serve burrito style in whole wheat tortillas with a little shredded cheese, hot sauce and yogurt (in place of sour cream) on top.

DH is a meat eater but I made this once before and the barley makes it seem meaty. I didn't put in spinach last time...but I am sure that it will be good.

BUT....DH is going to a town counsel meeting tonight...LOL...I hope he doesn't clear the room!

I may serve with rice and beans .....or not?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #2032
Watercolor Wizard

sounds yummy sarah.....i'll have to try that one!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #2033
Gabfest Goddess

Bluebear - when you say yogurt instead of sour cream - is that just plain yogurt or do you do something to it?

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #2034
Watercolor Wizard

Brandy......you can just use plain, nonfat yogurt in place of sour cream
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #2035
Forum Fanatic

I just use whole milk plain yougurt. It's a staple in my fridge as ds is a skinny boy and we haven't switched him to any reduced fat dairy. For him I'll mix in a little fruit or applesauce and its better than the preflavored/mixed stuff.

It was really good. I used a good quality extra sharp cheddar on top and it was a very satisfying non meat meal. It would be good with mushrooms and onions added to it too.....I'll have to try that next time. I think I am going to freeze half for an easy meal later.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #2036
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
Yup, me too! Drives me nuts when I try to make something like tacos only to have DH come home and tell me about the wonderful Mexican restaurant he went to for lunch! Sheesh!
That is so true!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #2037
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbech View Post
help help help
I am sure I seen a crockpot recipe for mac and cheese here now I cant find it. Can you help me?
I don't know if it is the one on this thread, but here's the one I use .....

Crockpot Mac N Cheese

1 lb macaroni
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
12 oz can evaporated milk
10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
pepper to taste
paprika

1. Cook macaroni, drain and pour into crock pot.
2. Slice butter into chunks and add to macaroni, stir until melted
3. combine eggs, evaporated milk, soup and milk. add 3 cups of shredded
cheese and pepper to taste. Pour over macaroni and mix
well.
4. Cover, cook on low 4 hours. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook 15
minutes or until cheese melts.
5. sprinkle with paprika

This is great it is so easy. We usually have it with mixed veggies and a salad. Great, easy dinner.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #2038
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to jlbech
Default Thanks so much!

I have to work tomorrow and have a potluck for supper and wanted to make this
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsmith109 View Post
I don't know if it is the one on this thread, but here's the one I use .....

Crockpot Mac N Cheese

1 lb macaroni
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
12 oz can evaporated milk
10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
pepper to taste
paprika

1. Cook macaroni, drain and pour into crock pot.
2. Slice butter into chunks and add to macaroni, stir until melted
3. combine eggs, evaporated milk, soup and milk. add 3 cups of shredded
cheese and pepper to taste. Pour over macaroni and mix
well.
4. Cover, cook on low 4 hours. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook 15
minutes or until cheese melts.
5. sprinkle with paprika

This is great it is so easy. We usually have it with mixed veggies and a salad. Great, easy dinner.
Matthew 6:34 ďSo donít worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Todayís trouble is enough for today."
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #2039
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

The last few weeks I don't think I've prepared anything unusual except a spaghetti dish with artichoke hearts (canned since I couldn't find frozen) and parmesan sauce.

Tonight's dinner is BBQ boneless ribs (crockpot), Halloween tater salad (didn't have green olives, white onions or red peppers so I used black olives, Bermuda onion and orange peppers) and sweet white corn. Oh, and the remnants of Key lime pie from Sunday's dinner (leftover homemade meatballs served in Italian rolls with melted mozzarella).

Summer heat and humidity has moved in for a few days. The potato salad should last until Thursday so all I have to fix tomorrow is an entree and zap a veggie.

I dislike summer.

Rainsong
Old 06-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #2040
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with you Rainsong, although CA doesn't have humidity. I prefer to just grill things but somehow DH doesn't like the idea of standing outside in 100 degree heat.

I made a tuna noodle casserole last night and I'll have DH put it on the oven while I'm at Curves