Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #2681
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbech View Post
Somewhere in here I think it was the person who started this thread (josephsmom04) made an attachment with all the recipes There was this thread and what are you having for dinner tonight part 1.... Maybe she can help you, It wouldnt hurt to ask...
What are you making tonight for dinner?

this is the first thread that I started way back when. Sorry I can't remember what page the collabs are on (it's been awhile).
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #2682
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to AZShann

In the first post..jen9853 asked for a corned beef recipe. This one is the BEST ever. I used to make this for my ex because he worked nights and couldn't go out to celebrate. My coworker has made this in a crock pot and it worked. I make it in roasting pan in the oven when I make it.

Corned Beef

1 corned beef from package
NO seasoning packet---throw it away
At least 2 Guiness beers (one for the corned beef and at least one to drink while it’s cooking)
1 cup brown sugar
Lawrey’s garlic salt with parsley
Black Pepper
Potatoes
Baby Carrots
Cabbage

Wash corned beef off under running water. Add to roasting pan (I use the enamel one that is black with white specks). Add corned beef to roasting pan without seasoning packet that comes with the meat. Pour 1 Guiness over top. Add 1 cup brown sugar, garlic salt (a fair amount) and black pepper. Cook covered at 350 for 6-8 hours like you are making a roast. You may need to adjust the heat down after the first 4 hours. Add the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage the last two hours of cooking. I add the potatoes first, then baby carrots, then top with cabbage that is cut in wedges. Enjoy!!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #2683
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemommy View Post
I am thinking of making spaghetti tonight. I just have to go and get a nice loaf of bread. We had steak last night.

I am thinking of doing a shepards pie tomorrow night. Anyone got a really good recipe?
Here's the recipe I use. It's kind of my own made up thing because all the others aren't as good in my opinion.

Tator Tot Casserole or Shepards Pie

1.5 pounds of ground sirloin
1 family size can of Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup
Onion
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Tator Tots (frozen - for Tator Tot casserole only)
Cheese

Add a layer of mashed potatoes to the top if you are making Shepard's Pie. I put the cheese on the top of the potatoes.

Brown meat with onion, garlic salt, and pepper. Add soup and about ½ to ¾ can of water. Let simmer until soup thickens into a gravy consistency. In a 9x13 pan (I use glass), add a layer of tator tots, cheese, meat mixture, cheese, tator tots, cheese, meat mixture, cheese, tator tots, cheese, meat mixture and one last row of tator tots. Cover with cheese. Bake in oven until tots are brown and cheese is melted. It will be around 30 minutes at 350.

You can also make just the meat and soup mixture and serve it in buns for a quick dinner. If you choose, you can also add a can of green beans, corn, or any other canned vegetable you like. Make sure to drain them. You can also use this soup mixture to make Shepard’s Pie. Add the soup mixture to a glass baking dish, top with cheese, mashed potatoes, and more cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #2684
Mad Swapper

I always do after thanksgiving with left over turkey breast that I freeze. I shred the turkey breast and freeze it to use all year. Make a big pot and then freeze the rest in small portions. Sit bag on counter to thaw and then heat in pan. You could use boiled chicken that is shredded (I call picked with a fork because it's so tender I just pick instead of shread)

Homemade Turkey After-Thanksgiving soup

Shredded turkey or chicken (the amount to your liking)
(5 or 6) diced potatoes that are cooked through
2 cans diced peeled tomatoes
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen French cut green beans
1 box of chicken Rice-a-Roni (packet and rice)
Garlic salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning
Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb or Garlic and Herb seasoning
A shake of chili powder (not too much)
Garlic powder
3 or 4 cans Swanson's Chicken broth, and water if you need more
Wide egg noodles cooked and added in (don't put noodles in without cooking, they will make the soup a weird texture).

Throw all ingredients into a big pot. Feel free to season to your taste. Cook. Make into portion sizes and freeze.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #2685
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonight is burgers on the grill with homemade dinner rolls and baked seasoned sweet potato fries. Now I need some thing green in there....the old standby salad.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #2686
Polyshrink Goddess

I cna't remember where I got this from but these are really good. Your house will smell delicious. Cutting them the same size is key and they are really difficult to cut but its worth it.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

3 large sweet potatoes or yams
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place two rimmed baking sheets in the oven while it preheats and while you prepare the potatoes (about 10 minutes). Peel the potatoes and slice the potatoes into about 1/4- to 1/2-inch strips or wedges. Try to keep most of the pieces the same size so they bake evenly.
Place the potato strips/wedges in a ziploc bag or bowl. Toss the potatoes with the oil. Add the seasonings and mix until the potatoes are evenly coated.
Carefully remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and divide the potatoes evenly among the two sheets, taking care the potatoes are not touching so they have plenty of room for the air circulate to circulate and bake evenly. Also, try to leave any excess oil in the bag or bowl so the potatoes don't get too soggy while they bake.
Bake the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, if desired, until they are tender and well-browned. Serve immediately.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #2687
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up This weeks menu

Tuesday
Cowboy Pot Pie
Mandarin Orange Salad

Wednesday
Broccoli Ham Ring
Lemonade Pie

Thursday
Cheeseburger Salad
Potato Wedges

Friday
Swiss Steak
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Salad
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #2688
Polyshrink Goddess

I was concerned before I tried this with so much liquid going in and no thickener, however, the pasta absorbs it and it was really good. I used a whole box of pasta because I have 6 in the family to cook for. Also I used a rotisserie chicken to save time but I think it was bland. Next time I will cook the chicken myself. With 6 people to cook for its difficult to make things that everyone likes but for the most part, everyone was down with this dish.

Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, and Penne

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and sliced thin (or precooked rotisserie chicken)
1 medium onion, minced
Salt
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
½ cup dry white wine
8 oz penne pasta
8 oz broccoli florets (approximately 3 cups)
2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (approximately 1 cup), plus more for serving
Ground black pepper

Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken, break up any clumps, and cook without stirring until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir the chicken and continue to cook until cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl, cover with foil, and set aside.

Add another Tbsp of oil to the skillet along with the onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook over medium heat until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, wine, pasta, and ¼ tsp salt. Increase the heat and cook, stirring often, for 12 minutes. Add the broccoli and continue to simmer until the pasta and broccoli are tender and the liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes longer.

Return the chicken to the skillet to warm through. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #2689
Insane Embellisher

Slow baked chuck roast with carrots, potatoes and onions. Au jus gravy from the pan drippings. And french bread.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #2690
Polyshrink Goddess

Bonnie, that sounds delicious!

I mixed up my menu for the week a bit and made turkey burgers with seasoned potato wedges and a greek salad monday night. The greek salad was from PW (dead easy and the best part of the dinner in my opinion) and I will post the turkey burgers. Everyone was full and happy in my house. My husband says the seasoned potatoes are the best french fries he has ever had!

Turkey Burgers

1 1/3 lbs 7% ground turkey
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2 Tsp Worsteshire Sauce
2 Tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Grill patties.

The consistency was weird but they grilled up nicely. Maybe the addition of some bread crumbs would work. They didn't fall apart but felt as if they could have in the beginning of grilling. Sometimes turkey tends to be dry but the ricotta cheese helped.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #2691
Polyshrink Goddess

Seasoned Potato Wedges

These are baked and not fried and EASY

Baked Seasoned Potato Wedges

1 1/2 pounds baby yukon gold potatoes, washed
olive oil
1 tablespoon herbs de provence can be found in most spice aisles of a grocery store (or use a combo of dried rosemary, thyme, marjoram)
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika - only had regular, not smoked
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
added a 1/2 tsp of Lawry's seasoned salt

Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
Cut each potato into quarters.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and all herbs and spices. Add potatoes and toss to coat, making sure each potato is covered. Place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until tender crisp, turning once half way through.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #2692
Polyshrink Goddess

Chicken Souvlaki Pita with Tzatziki
• 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
• 4 teaspoons Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning (found at Walmart)
• 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 12 ounces, weight Drained, Non-fat Plain Yogurt
• 1 whole Cucumber, Chopped
• ½ whole Yellow Onion, Chopped – more or less depending on taste
• 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
• Salt
• Pepper
Most of this recipe is in the prep. You marinate the chicken for several hours before you grill
Pound out the chicken breast until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
Rub down with olive oil then season both sides generously with the Cavender’s Greek Seasoning Salt. Wrap the chicken in cling wrap and refrigerate for several hours.
Grill on a counter top grill or outside grill. Let sit for a minute or two then slice into strips.
The night before, place 12 oz of plain non-fat yogurt in a coffee filter then set in a mesh colander set over a bowl and drain it in the fridge overnight. Or just use greek yogurt.
While chicken is grilling, chop up the cucumber and the onion. Mix the cucumber, onion with the drained yogurt, add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Place grilled chicken strips and tzatziki into warmed pitas.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #2693
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShann View Post
Here's the recipe I use. It's kind of my own made up thing because all the others aren't as good in my opinion.

Tator Tot Casserole or Shepards Pie

1.5 pounds of ground sirloin
1 family size can of Campbell’s Vegetable Beef Soup
Onion
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Tator Tots (frozen - for Tator Tot casserole only)
Cheese

Add a layer of mashed potatoes to the top if you are making Shepard's Pie. I put the cheese on the top of the potatoes.

Brown meat with onion, garlic salt, and pepper. Add soup and about ½ to ¾ can of water. Let simmer until soup thickens into a gravy consistency. In a 9x13 pan (I use glass), add a layer of tator tots, cheese, meat mixture, cheese, tator tots, cheese, meat mixture, cheese, tator tots, cheese, meat mixture and one last row of tator tots. Cover with cheese. Bake in oven until tots are brown and cheese is melted. It will be around 30 minutes at 350.

You can also make just the meat and soup mixture and serve it in buns for a quick dinner. If you choose, you can also add a can of green beans, corn, or any other canned vegetable you like. Make sure to drain them. You can also use this soup mixture to make Shepard’s Pie. Add the soup mixture to a glass baking dish, top with cheese, mashed potatoes, and more cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

I make this recipe using a package of brown gravy mix, frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, beans). Then I top it with mashed potatoes and frenchs dried onions. I think I found just found whats for dinner tonight!! lol
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #2694
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfLola View Post
Skillet Chicken, Broccoli, and Penne

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and sliced thin (or precooked rotisserie chicken)
1 medium onion, minced
Salt
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
½ cup dry white wine
8 oz penne pasta
8 oz broccoli florets (approximately 3 cups)
2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (approximately 1 cup), plus more for serving
Ground black pepper

Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken, break up any clumps, and cook without stirring until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir the chicken and continue to cook until cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl, cover with foil, and set aside.

Add another Tbsp of oil to the skillet along with the onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook over medium heat until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the broth, water, wine, pasta, and ¼ tsp salt. Increase the heat and cook, stirring often, for 12 minutes. Add the broccoli and continue to simmer until the pasta and broccoli are tender and the liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes longer.

Return the chicken to the skillet to warm through. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I've had trouble finding something that everyone is enthusiastic about eating these days, and while I don't think I'll ever see anyone doing cartwheels, I had perfectly cleaned plates last night! I love the ease of this recipe and that the seasoning as listed was great! Seems like so many recipes I've tried lately have needed major tweaking. I'll bet subbing leftover roast beef and beef broth (maybe red wine for the white) would work too!

Thanks again!!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #2695
Polyshrink Goddess

I made this last night from PW website. It was very good. I might use halved cherry tomatoes next time but overall it was well received with the kids. Light and a cinch to make.

Pasta with Pesto Cream
• ¾ cups Fresh Basil Leaves
• ½ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
• 3 Tablespoons Pine Nuts - didn't have them on hand
• 2 cloves Garlic, Peeled
• Salt And Pepper, to taste
• ⅓ cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• ½ cups Heavy Cream
• 2 Tablespoons Butter
• ¼ cups Grated Parmesan (additional)
• 12 ounces, weight Pasta (cavitappi, Fusili, Etc.)
• 2 whole Tomatoes, Diced
Preparation Instructions
Cook pasta until al dente.
Add basil leaves, 1/2 cup Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic,and salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Turn machine on, then drizzle in olive oil while it mixes. Continue blending until combined, adding additional olive oil if needed. Set aside.
Heat cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add pesto and stir.
Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Pour pesto cream over the top. Toss to combine. Add diced tomatoes and toss quickly. Serve immediately with Parmesan
Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #2696
Polyshrink Goddess

I was thinking of making up to the pesto sauce and freezing it in ice cube trays. then popping them into a ziploc to keep in the freezer. I could take them out in the morning to thaw and then boil the pasta, melt the butter and cream and I have an easy dinner made when the kids have games and I have no time.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #2697
Hardware Hotshot

We had pot roast tonight and it was soooo yummy! This is the first time I made it (with this recipe) and I think I'll be making it again and again.

Ingredients:
{Part One}
2t Dried Thyme
2t Salt
1t Pepper
1t Garlic Powder
1t Onion Powder
Olive Oil
Beef Roast, about 3-4 Lbs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{Part Two}
2C Beef Broth
15oz Can Diced Tomatoes with juice (or 2 fresh)
One Onion, chopped
10 Mushrooms, diced (I didn't have any)
5 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Stalks Celery, chopped
1 Bay Leaf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{Part Three}
Carrots, cut into 2" pieces
Potatoes, halved

Okay, this recipe kinda goes in three stages.
We'll start with part one, naturally.
Mix thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder together in a small bowl.
Sprinkle over your roast on all sides. Drizzle some oil in a large pan.
When oil is hot, slap your roast in the pan to sear it on all sides.Transfer to a roasting pan with a lid.
Okay, on to part two.Chop all veggies (except for carrots and potatoes) and dump in the pan around the roast.
Add your beef broth and can of diced tomatoes. Then tuck your bay leaf in there.
Pop the lid on and throw in a preheated 275 oven for 5 or 6 hours.
Yes, I know it's summer. Nope, it didn't heat up the house.
I'm just not a big fan of crock pot roast. Please don't hate me for that.
1 Hour before you plan on eating, cut your potatoes in half and
peel/trim your carrots. Add to pan. Put back in oven for
one hour. Potatoes and carrots will be perfectly done and not mushy!
Remove beef and veggies to a platter. You can make a gravy with the sauce by heating the roaster on your stove top, adding in some cornstarch and water and bringing to a boil. Dinner is served!

For complete step by step recipe with pix, visit www.soNOTbetty.com
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #2698
Mad Swapper

I wanted to duplictate (or try to) a recipe for a citris balsamic vinegarette salad dressing my friend gets on a spinach salad at a restaurant. I think I did it...and like this better. I have also used this for marinade for chicken breasts that I grilled. I brought them in for salad for my co-worker and I and she acted like Sally in When Harry met Sally in the famous restaurant scene. lol

Citris Balsamic Vinegarette
Can either be used as a marinade or salad dressing.

1 naval orange
1 lemon
Garlic
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Optional – poppy seeds

Juice lemon and orange into shaker. Add minced garlic. Add balsamic vinegar and olive oil and seasonings. All ingredients should equal 1 ¼ cup.

You can use this as a marinade for chicken. Just add more garlic and no poppy seeds. Place all ingredients in a zip lock bag and add chicken. Don't forget to place bag in a bowl so you don't get oil on your fridge shelf.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #2699
Polyshrink Goddess

I *think* this originally came from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I made it according to her recipe but added chicken for protein. I changed the amount of parmesan cheese and next time I make this, I will try ziti or cavitappi noodles. The 2 cups of water isn't enough so you have to adjust accordingly. The water will be absorbed by the pasta and it won't be soupy. I added a good 1 to 1 1/4 cups extra water during the pasta cooking part.

Skillet Chicken & Vegetables
*Serves 4-6
1 lb + boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths or pasta of choice
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
½ to 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used the green can so I cut it down)

Heat oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Drain tomatoes into a 2-cup liquid measure. Add water to tomato liquid to make 2 cups. Add tomato/water mixture and 1 teaspoon salt to skillet. (I used extra water to almost cover lasagna noodles. The noodles absorb the water)
Scatter noodles into the skillet, layer tomatoes over the noodles and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, stirring occasionally (so the noodles won't stick) for about 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente according to package. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another skillet, add a bit of olive oil and vegetables and cook until slightly tender.
Stir in zucchini and squash. Add basil and half of the ricotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese to the noodles, stirring until the sauce is creamy. Dollop remaining ricotta cheese over the noodles and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #2700
Polyshrink Goddess

I've made this a few times - unfortunately I can't give credit because I don't remember where I got this. *sorry* This is so easy and you can make a Tzatziki sauce on the side or in pitas with some feta and lettuce. Its been so hot and who really wants to put the oven on?

Oregano & Lemon Chicken Souvlaki
(serves 4)
Ingredients:
1 pound chicken tenderloins
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 of a cup)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 to 2 Tablespoons of dried oregano - to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

1. Put the chicken into a bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients.
3. Mix well, coating chicken on all sides.
4. Let chicken marinate for a 1/2 hour to hour covered in fridge (or longer if you wish).
5. Thread marinated chicken tenders onto a pre-soaked wooden skewer.
6. Place souvlaki onto a screaming hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through and has golden brown grill marks.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #2701
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonight I had chicken tenderloin in the fridge but was missing some ingredients for a recipe so this is what I made...

Olive oil
2 lemons juiced
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Threw in some honey and grilled it.
Awesome!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #2702
Polyshrink Goddess

From Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Rosemary Buttermilk Chicken

1 qt. buttermilk
thin chicken cutlets
4 to 5 sprigs fresh rosemary

In a ziploc, combine all ingredients and leave in the fridge overnight. Remove the cutlets and grill.

Delicious and 3 ingredients? Come On!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #2703
Polyshrink Goddess

From Family Fun Magazine. I made this the other day (just before the hurricane hit) and it was delicious. I know its not dinner but I didn't know where else to put it. I only wish I had this at the beginning of the summer. Over ice on a hot day....

Raspberry Lime-ade
4 raspberry herbal tea bags, such as Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger or Stash Wild Raspberry
1 (12 oz) can frozen limeade concentrate
Sugar or honey to taste

In a heat-safe pitcher or bowl, pour 4 cups boiling water over the tea bags and allow them to steep for 5 minutes.
Remove the tea bags and stir in the limeade concentrate and 3 cups cold water. Taste and add sugar or honey as needed.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #2704
Polyshrink Goddess

From Mel's Kitchen Cafe (again - she is awesome). Two nights ago I made this. I will say its trickier than usual for me. I have never cut a pocket in a chicken breast and stuffed it, however, on her website she has step-by-step instructions if you want to take a look. All you do is click on the link for this chicken recipe and it has links within to help you. This dish was completely worth the little bit of extra effort. My children loved it and I used fresh basil and cherry tomatoes from my garden which made me very happy. To think I actually grew ingredients for this dish! I loved it. I used fresh mozzarella just because I like the way it melts and tastes. The only thing I would change is that I would squeeze another lemon over the top of the breadcrumbs (i used seasoned pre-made ones, not fresh). I love the taste of lemon and garlic and even though there is a squeeze of lemon in the filling, I would like it in the crumb mixture too.
Don't be intimidated by stuffing the chicken (if you are) - its really easy and I think the more I make it, the more comfortable I will be with being organized and tidy. My kitchen looked like a storm came through after I was done. I imagine you could make these in the morning and put them in the fridge to bake for dinner later.
One more thing...I am a mayonnaise hater and it calls for mayo. Yuck. But I put it on to help the breadcrumbs stick and in the end, I didn't even know it was in the dish.

Cheesy Basil Stuffed Chicken Breasts
*Note: the chicken breasts called for in this recipe need to be on the thicker side because a pocket is cut into the thickest part of the chicken breasts (similar to this recipe) and the delicious cheese-basil filling is stuffed inside. Thinner chicken breasts won't work well for that crucial step.
*Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see note)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, lowfat or regular
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions:
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded cheese, 2 tablespoons of the minced basil, cream, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cut a pocket in chicken breasts, stuff with cheese mixture and seal, using a toothpick to help close the slit, if necessary. Transfer the stuffed breasts to 13 by 9 inch baking dish and spread tops evenly with mayonnaise.
In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, remaining garlic, remaining fresh basil, and one tablespoon olive oil (this is where I would squeeze another half lemon). Sprinkle crumb mixture over chicken, pressing lightly to adhere.
Toss tomatoes with remaining tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Arrange the tomatoes in the baking dish in and around the chicken. Bake until the crumbs are golden brown and the chicken is cooked through (registering 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer) about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.

Last edited by SurfLola; 09-14-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #2705
Polyshrink Goddess

Another note on the stuffed chicken recipe. I made it again and could only find breasts with rib meat. They are not as thick as the perdue brand with no rib meat and there was no thick part to cut a pocket into.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #2706
Polyshrink Goddess

Rosemary Ranch Chicken Kabobs

From Fakeginger.com. I made these 2 nights ago and everyone liked them. Beyond easy.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup ranch dressing
3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbso minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp back pepper, or to taste
1 Tbsp white sugar
5 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes

In a medium bowl, stir together the olive oil, ranch dressing, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, salt, lemon juice, white vinegar, pepper and sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes. Place chicken in the bowl and stir to coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat the grill for medium high heat. Thread the chicken onto skewers and discard marinade.
Lightly oil the grill grate (I didn't do this step). Grill skewers for 8 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear.

Last edited by SurfLola; 09-23-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #2707
Mad Swapper

I'm trying to use up stuff I have on hand without having to buy a lot of ingredients at the store. I will come back and let you know what I think of this. I researched recipes after I threw this in the crock pot and there are some out there similar to what I did, so some people must make it. I'm just not sure what I will do with this for the rest of the meal unless I make taco salad or tacos with flour tortillas.

2 boneless pork chops
1 can Salsa Verde - Heredez
1 can diced green chilies
1 can petite diced and peeled tomatoes
4 or 5 cloves of garlic minced
Black Pepper
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Dried onions

Throw all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #2708
Polyshrink Goddess

Well Shannon...how was it?
Sounded really good.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #2709
Polyshrink Goddess

Two of my favorite boys in the whole world are visiting this weekend so I thought I would surprise them with this.

From Cook's Country Feb/Mar 2011

Open-Faced Beef Wellington

1 (9 1/2 by 9 inch) sheet puff pastry, thawed
4 center cut tenderloin steaks, about 1 1/2 inches thick
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425*. Cut puff pastry into quarters. Bake puff pastry on parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, about 15 mins.

2. Meanwhile, pat steaks dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Het oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook steaks until well browned and meat registers 125* for medium-rare, 3-5 minutes perside. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

3. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms and shallot until browned, 6-8 minutes. Add wine, broth and any accumulated beef juices and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 6 mins. Off heat, whisk in remaining butter and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Top each puff pastry with 1 steak and one quater of mushroom mixture.

TEST KITCHEN NOTE: Puff pastry sheets are often sold frozen in packages of 2. For this recipe, thaw 1 sheet in the refrigerator overnight.

I am making baked Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes (see tastykitchen.com) and roasted broccoli. These boys are just out of college and eat gross things like Ramen noodles. Ewww. I am also doubling this because, well, they are just out of college and eat a lot and gross things like ramen noodles
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #2710
Mad Swapper

It was PHENOMINAL! I even brought in one pork chop to share with two coworkers and they loved it. The pork chops had sooooo much flavor. I really think chicken and or beef would work well with this also.

I ate it with a veggie bowl from Chipotle two nights in a row. I think if you added potatoes, that would be good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfLola View Post
Well Shannon...how was it?
Sounded really good.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #2711
Polyshrink Goddess

From Fakeginger.com
I made these last night and they were outstanding. My kids thought putting ranch dressing on them would be a good condiment. If you are still BBQ'ing, give these a try.

Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Prep Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 12 sliders

Ingredients
2 pounds ground chicken
1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
slider buns
preferred slider toppings
Instructions
1. Combine all the ingredients except the buns in a large bowl. Form 10-12 large meatballs and transfer them to a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat up a grill or large skillet with oil. Place a few meatballs on the grill/skillet and flatten down to 3/4 inch thick. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side.
3. Place on bun bottoms, top with preferred toppings and top with other bun half.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #2712
Polyshrink Goddess

I am pretty sure these are from Fakeginger.com again. I made these last night with a Mac and Cheese from Cook's Country (maybe I will post it later). These kabobs were delicious. We all liked them a lot and my husband said they were so much better than the ones you buy. Just leave enough time to marinate everything, veggies and chicken, in a bowl for 2 hours. The sauce you leave aside is sweet and was great for dipping.

Honey Chicken Kabobs

Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
2 small onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
2-3 bell peppers in any color, cut into 2-inch pieces
skewers
Instructions
1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade frequently.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #2713
Stazon Splitcoast

subbing right now--I saw the sticky chicken recipe, as it is I had seen this recipe somewhere else and I made it last week, it is very good but I subbed jellied cranberries for the whole cranberries (not a fan of the whole berry)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #2714
Polyshrink Goddess

From Ellie Krieger, Healthy Appetite

Peach Ginger Soy Chicken

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pounds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 large firm-ripe peaches, cut into 1/4-inch slices, or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen peaches, (about 4 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and orange juice in a small bowl and set aside. When the chicken is browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, the soy sauce mixture, and the peaches to the pan. Turn the heat up to high and cook, uncovered, for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce is nicely thickened and the peaches soften. Add the chicken back to the pan with the sauce, turn the heat down to moderate-low, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

In the meantime, toast the almonds in a dry skillet over a medium-high heat stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Serve the chicken topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the toasted almonds.

Yield: 4 serving, 1 piece chicken, 2/3 cup sauce and 1/2 tablespoon almonds per serving
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #2715
Polyshrink Goddess

Creamy Corn Soup without any butter or cream!

Creamy Corn and Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
• 4 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, thawed
• 2 cups nonfat milk
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
• 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
• 1 medium zucchini, (about 1/2 pound) diced
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons

Directions
Put 2 cups of the corn and the milk into a blender or food processor, until smooth. Set aside. (I used 2 bags frozen so I put one bag in the blender with the milk and used the other in the soup).
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of corn and the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pureed corn and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #2716
Polyshrink Goddess

Chicken Marsala

Thin sliced, boneless chicken breasts
¼ C. flour
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried basil
3Tbsp. butter
3Tbsp. olive oil
Sliced mushrooms
½ C. Marsala wine (found in the grocery store under Cooking Wines)

Combine flour, salt, pepper, and basil. Heat oil and butter in a heavy non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture. Cook until lightly browned on the first side (2 mins). Turn chicken and brown. Add mushrooms to the skillet with the chicken. Cook another couple minutes. Add marsala wine to pan. Cover and simmer 10 mins.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #2717
Splitcoast Group Leader

Send a message via AIM to laurelwright

My weight loss story made it to the Yahoo news Carousel to day! And the W@ll Street Journal called me! Here is the link and you can read my whole story on The Smaller Hauler

Obese Pet Pig Inspires Local Church To Get Healthy - Yahoo! News
Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #2718
Mad Swapper

Default Spaghetti Squash Zucchini Casserole

If anyone has a True Food Kitchen near by, it's a must go. They serve organic foods and locally-grown veggies and fruits when in season. I had the Spaghetti Squash Zucchini casserole and I believe it was love at first bite. I even asked the server how it was made so I could implant the idea in my head. I normally can like something and not be so excited as I was to find a recipe to duplicate this. I literally savored each and every bite when I was there. I searched through 3 pages of Google recipes until I found this recipe when I got home. I have since made this at home 3 times since having it. I went again and got it a second time (I always do that because if I like something, I rarely switch it up). It wasn't as good the second time. I think mine was better and closer to the first time I had it at True Food Kitchen.

Spaghetti Squash Zucchini Casserole
True Food Kitchen
Plate Watchers: Whole Grain Apple Pancakes, Spaghetti Squash Casserole and Salmon

1 whole spaghetti squash
2 medium sized zucchini
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with healthy oil cooking spray (canola or olive). Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on foil and bake for 30-50 minutes, depending on size of squash. Set timer for 30 minutes, and check. Add time until done. Test with knife for doneness- tip should easily pierce the skin when done. Pull from oven, turn over and let cool for a few minutes.

While squash is baking, smash and slice garlic. In medium sauce pan, over medium high heat, heat 2 tsp. of olive oil, and when hot add in garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add in can of crushed tomatoes. Let heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Julienne both zucchini, discarding the skins.

When squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh (which will look like broken spaghetti) and place in large mixing bowl. Add in julienned zucchini, tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese and stir to mix. Spray a 9x13 inch glass pan with healthy oil spray and pour vegetable mixture in. Top with 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and bake 25 minutes uncovered. Dish may be a bit watery, so serve with a slotted spoon. Makes 8 servings. Projected Points Plus value, 2 per serving.

My changes are: use fresh mozzarella and packaged mozzarella, more garlic (never too much in my opinion), Italian Herb crushed tomatoes, garlic salt, pepper. Rub olive oil on and sprinkle sea salt on the cut spaghetti squash before cooking. I used olive oil for the tin foil and just rubbed it around. I cook the spaghetti squash about 45 minutes. That seems to be the perfect amount of time.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #2719
Polyshrink Goddess

I think this is from eatliverun.com

30 Minute Lemon Brown Sugar Chicken

serves 4

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts

juice of two large lemons

1 T lemon zest

1 cup flour

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp sea salt

1.5 T canola oil

2 T brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Using a meat mallet (or ice cream scoop), pound the chicken breasts thin. Set aside.

Combine the flour, paprika and sea salt in a cake or pie pan. Drop each chicken breast in the mixture and toss to coat completely.

Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Drop each chicken breast in the oil and brown on both sides (should take only about four minutes). Remove chicken breasts and keep warm on a plate.

Pour the lemon juice in the pan and stir to deglaze. Put chicken breasts in a casserole dish and pour juice on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon zest.

Bake for thirty minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #2720
Hardware Hotshot

from a crockpot book:

place single layer of boneless skinless chicken in bottom of crock
add a layer of diced carrot,celery, onion, dried parsley flakes, 2 small bay leaves(or one large)
mix together 2 cans cream of whatever soup you like, 1/2c water, dash black pepper, pour on top of everything else, cover and let go all day

just before serving, remove and shred chicken, return to crock and mix well.

serve over hot noodles or rice