Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #2641
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cake

This is my go-to treat when someone does something nice for me or if someone is having a baby or is under the weather. I put together a lasagna, a bag of salad, a stick of garlic bread and this dessert. This is absolutely delicious!

Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cake

1 ½ c. AP flour
¾ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ c. milk
1 egg
1 ½ c blueberries (most times I use 1 pint and I put them in the cake and not on top)
The zest of half a lemon

1/3 c AP flour
½ c brown sugar, firmly packed
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ c. firm butter (1/2 stick)

In a medium mixing bowl, blend together 1 ½ c flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, milk, egg, lemon zest and 1 cup blueberries. Beat thoroughly for 30 seconds and spread in a greased 9” round pan or an 8x8 square pan. Combine 1/3 c flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over batter and top with the remaining blueberries. Bake in a 375* oven for 40 to 50 mins, until done.

Last edited by SurfLola; 10-27-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #2642
Polyshrink Goddess

Parmesan Chicken Nuggets

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins, cut into bite-size cubes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
In a medium bowl, mix together Panko, Parmesan, and salt; set aside. Put melted butter in a pie plate or other shallow dish.
Dip chicken into butter and then coat with Panko mixture. Place on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Turn halfway through cooking.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2643
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfLola View Post
This is my go-to treat when someone does something nice for me or if someone is having a baby or is under the weather. I put together a lasagna, a bag of salad, a stick of garlic bread and this dessert. This is absolutely delicious!

Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cake

1 ½ c. AP flour
¾ cup sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
¾ c. milk
1 egg
1 ½ c blueberries (most times I use 1 pint and I put them in the cake and not on top)
The zest of half a lemon

1/3 c AP flour
½ c brown sugar, firmly packed
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ c. firm butter (1/2 stick)

In a medium mixing bowl, blend together 1 ½ c flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil, milk, egg, lemon zest and 1 cup blueberries. Beat thoroughly for 30 seconds and spread in a greased 9” round pan or an 8x8 square pan. Combine 1/3 c flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle over batter and top with the remaining blueberries. Bake in a 375* oven for 40 to 50 mins, until done.
Ooh this looks good...can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!!!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 11-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #2644
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Whoopie Pies

My friend is cutting my daughter's hair today and I thought I would make her these as payment. Since she has 4 boys I thought I would also make the Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cake as a 'grown up' dessert for them as well.

For my dinner I am trying the Dijon Chicken from one of the threads here.

1 box chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
1/4 c. cocoa powder

1 1/4 c. vanilla frosting (I used one tub of whipped white)
1 1/4 c. Cool Whip (I used one tub), thawed

Heat oven to 350*. Coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil and cocoa powder. Beat on low for 30 seconds or until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes - the batter will be very thick. Drop the batter by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart, for a total of about 35 to 40 cookies. Bake at 350* for 10 mins, rotating baking sheets halfway through. Use a metal spatula to quickly transfer cookies to racks and allow to cool.

In another bowl, stir together vanilla frosting and Cool Whip. Spread a heaping amount of frosting mixture onto the flat side of one cooled cookie, then place the flat side of a second cookie on top.
Attached Thumbnails
whoopie-pies.jpg  

Last edited by SurfLola; 01-27-2011 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #2645
Polyshrink Goddess

Just want to let you know before (if) you make the Whoopie Pies:

The non-stick cooking spray burned them. I made 2 batches and reduced the baking time and still, burned. So I went with parchement paper. Much better.

Something in the Pam on the dark, non-stick pans made them burn. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 AM   #2646
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonight is Parmesan Chicken Nuggests, Mac and Cheese and a roasted cauliflower. I have finally made a Mac & Cheese that the kids like better than that vile, orange boxed stuff Here's the recipe:

Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 box Elbows (I prefer a bigger macaroni like Cellentani which is just a big spiral noodle but if you have elbows, they work as well)
1/4 c. butter (a half stick or 4 Tbsp)
1/4 c. AP Flour
2 1/2 c. whole milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 lb cheese grated – cheddar, Gruyere, jack, whatever makes you happy
1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350*.

Cook the macaroni al dente.
In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over med/low heat. Cook the mixture for 5 mins, whisking constantly, being careful not to let it burn. Pour in the milk, add the mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 mins until very thick. Reduce heat to low. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten eggs. Whisk it all together until smooth.

Pour the egg mixture into the sauce and stir until smooth. Add in all but 1/2 to 1 c. of the cheese (for the top later) and stir to melt. Add salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt if desired. Do Not Under Salt. Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Pour into a buttered baking dish, top with that extra cheese and bake about 20 to 25 mins or until bubbly and golden on the top.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #2647
Polyshrink Goddess

This is easy if you get all the chopping done ahead of time. Its well worth it. Lately I've added snow peas and water chestnuts to shake it up a bit

Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry

peanut oil
chicken breasts, cubed (can also use beef, shrimp or pork)
splash of soy sauce
drizzle of sesame oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 to 3 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 red bell pepper (yellow or green are fine)
mushrooms
baby corn
1/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. soy sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c. chicken broth
2 rounded tsp. cornstarch
rice vinegar
sesame oil
fresh cilantro

After cutting meat into bite-sized pieces, drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
Prepare all veggies and have them ready.
Mix 1/2 c. soy sauce with sugar. Stir together and set aside.
Measure an additional 1/4 c. chicken broth with cornstarch. Stir together and set aside.

To begin stir fry, heat skillet or wok (I don't have a wok so I use a huge cast iron skillet) over high heat. When its hot, drizzle in 2 Tbsp peanut oil. Add meat to skillet and fry quickly, stirring around for 3 to 5 mins. When brown and just cooked through, remove to a separate bowl. Add additional 1 Tbsp peanut oil to same skillet. Throw in onions and cook for 1 minute. Add peppers, add garlic and ginger. Stir. Add mushrooms and stir. Cook for a minute, add baby corn, Stir. Pour in 1/4 c. chicken broth. Pour in soy sauce/sugar mixture. Drizzle in 1 tsp rice vinegar. Drizzle in 1/2 tsp sesame oil. Dump in the cooked chicken. Stir together. Pour in chicken broth/corn starch mixture. Stir together, then turn off heat. Sauce should be much thicker.
At the very end, seconds before serving, stir in roughly chopped cilantro.
Serve over cooked rice.

Last edited by SurfLola; 11-26-2010 at 05:48 AM..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #2648
Polyshrink Goddess

Adapted from Gordon Ramsey

Sticky Chicken

1 package thin chicken breasts
Sea salt and black pepper
3 – 4 tbsp oil
1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
Splash of sherry vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
1 lemon, finely sliced

Season chicken with salt and pepper and heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Brown the chicken pieces in batches over a high heat with the garlic and thyme for 3 mins on each side, until golden brown. Return all the chicken to the pan, add the sherry vinegar and bubble until reduced by half. Drizzle over the soy sauce and honey and shake the pan to mix. Pour in a good splash of hot water and add the lemon slices. Let the liquid bubble and reduce down until syrupy (about 10 mins).
Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #2649
Polyshrink Goddess

Made this last night and it is OUTSTANDING!

Cream Cheese Banana Bread
adapted from Southern Living

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mashed bananas (about 2 or 3 medium)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg beating just until blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in banana, walnuts, and vanilla. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loafpan.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides pull away from pan, shielding with aluminum foil last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary. Cool bread in pan on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #2650
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to deelite

Surflola: I am just looking through this thread, and I am going to try your Sticky Chicken tomorrow night for dinner. It just sounds yummy.
Haven't read through the whole but has anyone tried what my family calls Cranberry Chicken?
6 Boneless chicken breasts
1 package of dry Lipton Onion Soup
1 bottle Catalina salad dressing (I use the low fat)
1 can whole cranberries.
Mix together the onion soup, dressing, and cranberries. Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts. This can be marinated over night to make the flavor more intense, or baked right away. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. This makes a wonderful sauce that is great served over rice.
ENJOY
I just can't see this thread die.
Dee
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #2651
Polyshrink Goddess

Dee, I hope you like the sticky chicken. Its a family favorite here. I'd love feedback.
I am going to try the cranberry chicken. can i use the thin breasts? or should they be thick?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #2652
Polyshrink Goddess

Beef Dip
3-4 lb boneless chuck roast
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary
3 bay leaves
5-6 cups water
1 cup LOW SODIUM soy sauce

Put the roast in the crockpot and add all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 6-8 hours. Serve with garlic bread for dipping.

Last edited by SurfLola; 02-02-2011 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: Ingredient change
Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #2653
Gabfest Goddess

subbin to this thread now
with drool lol
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #2654
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Homemade Taco Seasoning

Lose the packet...

Yield: Enough to season about 7 lb. of ground meat
4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Over medium heat, brown 1 lb. of ground beef and drain. Add 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix and ¾ cup water to the ground beef. Simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and coats the beef, and there is not much liquid left.
3. Store remaining seasoning mix in an airtight container at room temperature.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #2655
Pearl-ExPert

Lola, I am so grateful for the recipe for the taco seasoning. I have all these spices in my pantry, yet I go to buy that taco seasoning in the store. I am going to lose the packet. Thanks. I haven't gotten to the sticky chicken yet, but hope to try it this week. We are going to be snowed in for a couple of days, and I love to cook during these times. Here's hoping we don't lose power.
You can use the thin breasts, just don't overcook them. I would say just bake it for 30 or 35 minutes. Just pull it out and check one.
Dee

Last edited by deelite; 01-31-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #2656
Polyshrink Goddess

Dee, made your cranberry chicken! Two thumbs up! I ended up using thick breasts but thanks for the tips on thin breasts. Had some leftover for Grandma to take home so she didn't need to cook and she loved it.
We are expecting another 2-6 inches of snow on top of the already 6 or 7 we still have and I love to cook on those days too. I'm doing the Beef Dip tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #2657
Polyshrink Goddess

If anyone makes the Beef Dip, I changed the recipe to Low Sodium Soy Sauce. I made this the other night and it was really salty. Saltier than I remembered but I made it last year. Maybe the low sodium will help. The meat was fork tender though.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #2658
Pearl-ExPert

Glad you liked the chicken, Lola. Did you serve it with rice? I forgot to mention how good the sauce is. I even make this for company. You can put it together the night before and just stick it in the oven about 35 minutes before you are ready to serve. Super easy. I am going to try the sticky chicken tonight.
What state are you in, was just wondering when you started talking about your snow fal. We didn't get all the snow they were thinking in St Louis, MO but 2 inches of ice and 2 inches of snow is enough to disable St Louis for a day. HeeHee
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #2659
Polyshrink Goddess

I am on Long Island, NY. We had snow, then sleet then rain this past week! Seems like every Tuesday we get a storm. Friday and Saturday we'll get more rain I think.
I served the Cranberry Chicken with rice and you are right, the sauce is really good. I gave the recipe to a friend (25 year old bachelor) and he's going to try to make it. I like the thought of overnight marinating. Makes it so easy.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #2660
Pearl-ExPert

New York, is really getting the storms this year. Hope that the bad ones are over for the season. We are getting enough snow here in ST Louis, MO that doesn't even have time to melt, before we get hit again. I am ready for spring.
I wish I was your neighbor or friend. You bring such a nice dinner over, including the dessert. I have to try that blueberry cake. I froze some blueberries and I am getting them our for tomorrow, to make the cake. Tonight I get to stamp at a SU demonstrators shoebox. She always has a big spread of food, which makes it twice the fun.
Sticky chicken and blueberry coffee cake tomorrow night. I am saving the Whoopie pies for my grandsons to make with me. They love to cook and would love these.
Thanks for sharing your recipes.
Dee
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #2661
Polyshrink Goddess

So one day, when reading food blogs, everyone was talking about Trader Joe's Orange chicken or whatever it is called. Comment after comment on how good it is and easy and inexpensive. I made the mistake of going there (its far from me) and picking up a bag in their freezer section.....Garbage. Sorry Trader Joe. Its processed and tasted disgusting. Maybe my kids are spoiled but they all hated it. So I found this recipe and tried it. Voila! Not exactly the same - thank heavens - but miles better. Its a little work but if you like this type of thing, its worth it - and nothing unpronounceable

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thick but pounded thinner (not scallopini thin)
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken over to the other side after 30 minutes.

If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced – about 6-8 minutes.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #2662
Matboard Maniac

Wow! All these new recipes! I haven't been on is a loooonnnnnggggg time! I want to make lots of these recipes but don't want to go through all 67 pages to copy them all. I want to know if there is someone who copied them and shared them with the group. What page(s) would I find the documents on. I see this thread started in 2008 and I know there is lots of good stuff here!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #2663
Polyshrink Goddess

French Onion Soup

1 stick butter
4 large or 6 small/medium yellow onions halved root to tip and sliced thin
1 generous cup dry white wine (I used white cooking wine)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 cups beef broth
2 cloves minced garlic
Worcestershire sauce
Several thick slices of French bread or baguette
Grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat oven to 400*
melt butter in a heavy soup pot or Dutch Oven over medium/low heat. Add onions and cook, covered, for 20 mins. place soup pot into the oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions will brown.
Allow onions to cook in the oven for 1 hour, stirring at least once during the cooking process so onions won’t stick and burn. Remove the pot from the oven and place over medium heat. Stir the onions, scraping up all the brown flavorful bits. Turn off the heat and pour in the wine. Turn heat back on to medium. Cook the onions and wine together for 5 mins, allowing it to reduce.
Add both broths, minced garlic and a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 to 45 mins. Butter one side of the bread slices and broil over low heat, allowing the bread to brown and become crispy.
When the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls or ramekins. Place crispy bread on top, then sprinkle generously with grated Gruyere (swiss, asiago, mozzarella or romano works too). Broil, watching closely until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #2664
Polyshrink Goddess

I made this PW recipe for my mother while we go skiing but I might set some aside for myself. It is delicious if you like a cauliflower cream soup. Very easy. Beware: It makes a very big pot.

Cauliflower Soup
• 1 stick Butter, Divided
• ½ whole Onion, Finely Diced
• 1 whole Carrot Finely Diced
• 1 stalk Celery, Finely Diced
• 1 whole (to 2 Whole) Cauliflower Heads (roughly Chopped)
• 2 Tablespoons Fresh Or Dried Parsley (chopped)
• 2 quarts Low-sodium Chicken Broth Or Stock
• 6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
• 2 cups Whole Milk
• 1 cup Half-and-half
• A bay leaf
• 2 teaspoons To 4 Teaspoons Salt, To Taste
• 1 cup (heaping) Sour Cream, Room Temperature
Preparation Instructions
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown.
Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine.
Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.
Serve immediately.

Last edited by SurfLola; 02-23-2011 at 02:55 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #2665
Polyshrink Goddess

One more from PW. Whenever we go camping, Sloppy Joes are on the menu but from a can, well, not my thing. I tried these the other day and they are really good. Everyone liked them and thought they were way better than the canned....uh...stuff. I thought I would make these tomorrow since we are going skiing and bring them up so that when the 5 boys come back, we can have these. Very easy.

Sloppy Joes
• 2 Tablespoons Butter
• 2-½ pounds Ground Beef
• ½ whole Large Onion, Diced
• 1 whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
• 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
• 1-½ cup Ketchup
• 1 cup Water
• 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
• 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
• 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
• ½ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
• Worcestershire Sauce, To Taste
• 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (optional)
• Tabasco Sauce (optional; To Taste)
• Salt To Taste
• Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
• Kaiser Rolls
• Butter
Preparation Instructions
Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.
Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Spread rolls with butter and brown on a griddle or skillet. Spoon meat mixture over the rolls, topping with a slice of cheese. Serve hot with kettle cooked chips
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #2666
Polyshrink Goddess

Chicken with cider and bacon sauce

Ingredients
• 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 bacon slices, chopped
• 1/4 cup minced fresh onion
• 3/4 cup unsweetened apple cider
• 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
Preparation
Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
Add onion to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add cider and broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until broth mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 5 minutes). Stir in cooked bacon; serve sauce over chicken.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #2667
Polyshrink Goddess

Julie, I am sorry I cannot help you. I am new to the thread myself, just giving recipes that I like. I didn't want your request to get buried in case someone can help.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #2668
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
So one day, when reading food blogs, everyone was talking about Trader Joe's Orange chicken or whatever it is called. Comment after comment on how good it is and easy and inexpensive. I made the mistake of going there (its far from me) and picking up a bag in their freezer section.....Garbage. Sorry Trader Joe. Its processed and tasted disgusting. Maybe my kids are spoiled but they all hated it. So I found this recipe and tried it. Voila! Not exactly the same - thank heavens - but miles better. Its a little work but if you like this type of thing, its worth it - and nothing unpronounceable

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thick but pounded thinner (not scallopini thin)
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken over to the other side after 30 minutes.

If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced – about 6-8 minutes.

Looks good. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #2669
Polyshrink Goddess

This recipe comes from a fundraiser cookbook and is from a local store. We always go and get this and someone sent it to me so I tried it. Looking at the recipe and how much cream is in it almost turned me off. I decided to make it as is and then maybe try to get it a little more healthier on my next try. It was good but I had a hard time getting past the quart of cream. It makes quite a bit. Maybe half the cream and half the tomato sauce?

1 lb hearty pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions
2 lbs chicken cut in strips (the woman who gave me the recipe suggested Perdue ShortCuts and sauteing for just a few minutes)
olive oil
1 tsp (=1 packet) powdered chicken boullion
1 quart heavy cream
2 15-oz can tomato sauce
4 oz parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Cook pasta and set aside. In a frying pan, saute chicken in olive oil until halfway cooked. Drain off fat. Add in chicken boullion and heavy cream. Boil until it starts to thicken. Add tomato sauce and continue cooking for about 8 to 10 mins. add cooked pasta, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #2670
Polyshrink Goddess

Made this for the first time last night as crockpot season is winding down. It was easy and delicious.

Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, , cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes (diced tomatoes would work as well)
1/4 - 1/3 c hot pepper sauce, or more to taste (I used 1/4 c and it was not too hot)
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T yellow mustard
1 T unsulfured molasses (I think most molasses in the grocery store are unsulfured, nothing special)
8 hamburger buns

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring once, until meat is golden brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a slow cooker, leaving as much oil behind as possible. Repeat with chicken breasts.
To skillet, add onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until onion is translucent, 6 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to slow cooker.
To slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and molasses. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is very tender, 4 hours. Shred chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on buns.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #2671
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to jlbech

Quote:
Julie, I am sorry I cannot help you. I am new to the thread myself, just giving recipes that I like. I didn't want your request to get buried in case someone can help.
Somewhere in here I think it was the person who started this thread (josephsmom04) made an attachment with all the recipes There was this thread and what are you having for dinner tonight part 1.... Maybe she can help you, It wouldnt hurt to ask...
Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
Old 03-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #2672
Polyshrink Goddess

Julieluvs2stamp...Going through my documents and at some point I must have copied it in a PDF that someone made from here. Its about 62 pages and I will be happy to email it to you. If you send me your email address at:

lolasurf2@aol.com I will be happy to send it.
Kim
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #2673
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Kim! I emailed you!

Does anyone out there have a recipe for appetizer pizza's made on cocktail rye bread? My mom had a recipe for it and I thought it had pizza or spaghetti sauce with mozzarella on top. All I can find has Velveeta cheese in them. Doesn't sound the same? Mom passed away in September and I have looked in her recipe box and can't find it! I also looked on the internet...no luck. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #2674
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Farfalle with Sausage, Cream and Tomatoes

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1/2 tsp dry crushed red pepper
1 cup onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 lb. farfalle pasta (bow ties)
1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
freshly grated parmesan

Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over med/high heat. Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Saute until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up with back of fork, about 5 mins. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is tender and sausage is browned, about 3 mins longer. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage mixture thickens, about 3 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Return pasta to the same pot. Add sausage mixture and toss over medium/low heat until sauce coats pasta, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Sprinkle with basil. Serve, passing cheese seperately.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #2675
Pearl-ExPert

Julie. I believe I had that recipe at one time. Will look for it,and get back to you. So sorry about your mom. it must be very hard wanting something of her's and not be able to ask her for it. This should be a big reminder for us to keep writing things down for future generations. I give shower gifts of recipe books with handwritten recipes from family and friends. Always a big hit.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #2676
Pearl-ExPert

Julie, is this it perchance?

Ingredients:
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 cup dried beef, chopped
3/4-1 cup mayonnaise
1 loaf sliced rye cocktail bread

Directions:Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
1 Mix together the cheese, olives, onion, dried beef and mayo.
2 Spread on slices of rye cocktail bread. place the slices on a cookie sheet and broil until bubbly.

I found other recipes that substituted other items in place of the dried beef (olives, mushrooms, ham) but the same base with mayo/cheese.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #2677
Die Cut Diva

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

WOW, it's been over 2 years since I've been on SPLITCOAST STAMPERS!!! I went to the dark side (digital scrapping).

Last time I posted I believe I was still expecting or just had our second child. Since then our boys are thriving- the oldest Joseph is now in kindergarten and our little guy is alittle over two. We've purchased a home in the country with acreage. We are LOVING IT!!!

I have gone back to work because of the move and have started my own photography business that has BOOMED- and am enjoying every minute of it.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am hoping with a set schedule I can get on here more often than every two years.

I AM SOOOO HAPPY TO SEE MY LITTLE THREAD STILL GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #2678
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

WOW, it's been over 2 years since I've been on SPLITCOAST STAMPERS!!! I went to the dark side (digital scrapping).

Last time I posted I believe I was still expecting or just had our second child. Since then our boys are thriving- the oldest Joseph is now in kindergarten and our little guy is alittle over two. We've purchased a home in the country with acreage. We are LOVING IT!!!

I have gone back to work because of the move and have started my own photography business that has BOOMED- and am enjoying every minute of it.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am hoping with a set schedule I can get on here more often than every two years.

I AM SOOOO HAPPY TO SEE MY LITTLE THREAD STILL GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
YAY!!! Good for you Michelle!!! I wondered where you had gone off to, I'm glad it's all good . Nice to "see" you!!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #2679
Polyshrink Goddess

I made this recipe from fakeginger.com. I doubled the sauce and it was pretty good. Normally I stay away from anything deep fried and I do not have a fryer but I wanted to try this. I just fried them in a little canola oil on both sides. The batter is surprisingly light. Not at all what I expected. The sauce was good but I wonder if something gets lost when you double. Or maybe my math was off LOL.

Honey Chicken

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” chunks)
Oil (for deep frying)
Batter
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 egg white
Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoon ginger (minced)
3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 teaspoon water)
Sesame seeds (for garnish)
In a large bowl mix all batter ingredients together until smooth. Cover and allow the batter to site for at least 30 minutes. Add the chicken to the batter tossing to coat.
Heat a deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fry chicken bits in patches for 2 minutes or until batter becomes firm. Drain on paper towels.
To make the sauce. Heat 1 ½ tablespoons of oil in your wok. Add garlic and ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add salt, honey, vinegar, and water. Mix well. Combine 1 teaspoon of water with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Add to the sauce and Simmer for 2 minutes.
Coat chicken with the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #2680
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002 View Post
YAY!!! Good for you Michelle!!! I wondered where you had gone off to, I'm glad it's all good . Nice to "see" you!!
HI TRACEY!!!!

I have missed everyone!!!