Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #721
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
Sounds Yummy! You know I'm in the frozen chicken camp. Thawed Chicken only takes 5-6 hours on low to cook and if you need to go all day, it is a little dry and tough after 10 hours.

Wine - I'm a big wine drinker, but some of my bottles are not going to "waste" in a recipe. I prefer to buy the little bottles that are four to a pack.
I knew you'd comment on the wine! That's why I use the Livingston for cooking. Dinner came out ok. Cooked it on high for nearly 6 hours. The breasts were a little dry, but the thighs were moist. It was also a little salty. So next time, cook less time, use less salt when seasoning. I scooped out the liquid added some cornstarch and thickened it to a nice texture. The boys liked it.

Are you playing with us for HYCCT2014?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #722
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Stampin_U.P._North

Ryan made the kids tacos tonight. I don't know what I'll be eating though,it's already after 7pm. I took a nap but still feel really yucky. I don't know if it's pregnancy related or if it's something more, but whatever it is, I don't like feeling like this.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #723
Pearl-ExPert

I just made Chinese Fried Chicken for the kids, and for the (always dieting) self and hubby (cholesterol issues), stir fry chicken and veg (broccoil, cauliflower, napa cabbage, snow peas, carrots, bamboo shoots). It would have been diet if hubby hadn't dumped in a full jar of Duck Sauce on top of 1/2 of a jar of Bulgogi (Korean pear teriyaki marinade) sauce!

We call it Chinese Fried Chicken because it was in a Southern Living Chinese recipe, and it really makes the chicken taste tender ("just like a Chinese restaurant" was my oh-so-picky DD's comment):

1 egg white
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp soy sauce

whisk together, pour over sliced chicken chunks, and marinate the chicken about 15 minutes.
Combine 1/2 cup bisquik and 1/3 cup water in a large bowl. Dump in marinated chicken and combine. Fry in 2-3 inches of heated oil.

Yummy!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #724
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_s View Post
I just made Chinese Fried Chicken for the kids, and for the (always dieting) self and hubby (cholesterol issues), stir fry chicken and veg (broccoil, cauliflower, napa cabbage, snow peas, carrots, bamboo shoots). It would have been diet if hubby hadn't dumped in a full jar of Duck Sauce on top of 1/2 of a jar of Bulgogi (Korean pear teriyaki marinade) sauce!

We call it Chinese Fried Chicken because it was in a Southern Living Chinese recipe, and it really makes the chicken taste tender ("just like a Chinese restaurant" was my oh-so-picky DD's comment):

1 egg white
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp soy sauce

whisk together, pour over sliced chicken chunks, and marinate the chicken about 15 minutes.
Combine 1/2 cup bisquik and 1/3 cup water in a large bowl. Dump in marinated chicken and combine. Fry in 2-3 inches of heated oil.

Yummy!
It's called "velveting" when you do that with chicken and cornstarch. I've never tried it, just read about it. Sounds delicious!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #725
Crimping Master

We had Swiss steak with egg noodles for dinner tonight. Last night we had AWESOME burgers from this local bar that is a few blocks away. They're probably the best burgers around..and are only 5 bucks for a big 3/4 lb burger! Obviously there were leftovers and that is what I had for lunch today.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #726
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach0123 View Post
OK...just a question...Has anyone really tried Fish Tacos like I've seen Rachel Ray make? They just sound yucky to me. Is it just me or am I missing something awesome?
A local mexican food place here makes great fish tacos. In fact, i crave them sometimes. I guess it would depend on whether you're a seafood lover....I would suggest giving them a shot...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #727
Stazon Splitcoast

Ryan cooked me a dinner of - mac-n-cheese made with velveeta, steamed broccoli and fried beef. It sort of hit the spot.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #728
Stazon Splitcoast

I think we might have grilled cheese and tomato soup tonight for dinner. Tomorrow we're planning on having Stouffer's lasagna as the kids have the WOL at the church, plus I'm going to the dentist tomorrow morning (FINALLY) to get something done with this tooth that has been causing me much pain since I became pregnant.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #729
Stazon Splitcoast

We are having pork tenderloin which is currently marinating in soy sauce, red wine, garlic, ginger, and a little brown sugar. I'll probably make some roasted veggies with it (carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes (DH), and onions).

We have a ton of leftovers but we take them to work for lunch, so I'm getting worn out!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #730
Die Cut Diva

what should I make tonight?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #731
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

We had Chicken & Linguine with Creamy Tomato sauce last night and that's what I had for lunch. Good thing I had put half a chicken breast and the rest of the noodles away after DH had taken his second helping, or I would have had NOTHING, LOL! They were some of the best chicken breasts I had ever made and they were from our local grocery, whose chicken I have not always loved, but they seemed to have improved in that department!

I went there again today to pick up a bottle of coffee creamer I forgot to buy yesterday and walked out with over $40 in groceries. They had pork rib chops for $1.99 per pound, country ribs for $1.69, Red Gold tomatoes (canned) for $1 per can (and I am picky about canned tomatoes...Red Gold are really the best on the market!), Mueller noodles for $1.50, Heinz ketchup for 3 for $5...there were lots of good deals, so I stocked up on things we use a lot of.

So tonight I am planning on making the rib chops with stuffing...I posted the recipe a while back and haven't made it in a while. It's a favorite of my husband, though my kids don't think much of it. Oh well. It's goooooood.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #732
Stazon Splitcoast

Well the husband decided that HE wants biscuits and gravy. Which means I'll be cooking and not eating. I hope he enjoys it.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #733
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._North View Post
Well the husband decided that HE wants biscuits and gravy. Which means I'll be cooking and not eating. I hope he enjoys it.
Oh that sounds so good. Too bad I don't have any biscuits...or ingredients to make gravy! ha ha.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #734
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
what should I make tonight?
Ha ha, I love it! Way to cut to the chase, Michelle. I'm not sure what you should make...I am going to make shepard's pie tonight...though I think someone on here mentioned it was called something else when you make it with ground beef, which is what I'll be doing.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #735
Watercolor Wizard

I am making this for dinner tonight:

Cheesy Meat Loaf

This meat loaf includes a delicious surprise: Cubes of mozzarella cheese are blended into the meat mixture, while shredded cheese is combined with bread crumbs and herbs to create a sublime topping. Your hands are the best tool for mixing the ground beef and other ingredients; be careful not to overmix, as the meat loaf can become too dense.

Ingredients:
4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice

2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice

1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice

1/2 oz. dried wild mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup hot water,
chopped, soaking liquid reserved

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 1/4 cups fresh bread crumbs

1 Tbs. plus 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded, plus 6 oz., cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

2 lb. ground beef (80% lean)

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme

Mashed potatoes for serving (see related recipe at left)

Directions:
Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat the bottom of a roasting pan with 1 Tbs. of the oil.

In a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the carrots, celery and onion and sauté until tender and starting to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Let cool for 10 minutes.

In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the bread crumbs and 1/3 cup of the mushroom soaking liquid and soak for 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs, the 1 Tbs. parsley, the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil, shredded cheese, salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix together the ground beef, soaked bread crumbs, vegetable mixture, eggs, the 1/4 cup parsley, thyme, cubed cheese, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and shape into a 10-by-5-inch loaf. Cover the top and sides of the meat loaf with the cheese-bread crumb mixture.

Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat loaf registers 165°F, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let the meat loaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with mashed potatoes. Serves 8.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen

Potato and Onion Gratin

The potatoes, onions and garlic in this crusty gratin require a good deal of baking time for absolute tenderness. Make sure the baking dish you choose is large enough for the top of the potatoes to be well below the rim; otherwise, the milk and cream may bubble over.

The potatoes should be sliced to a uniform thickness so they cook evenly. A mandoline is a good tool for slicing the potatoes. Any leftovers can be reheated in a 300°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. minced garlic

2 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and thinly cut
crosswise into slices of uniform thickness

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste

1 white sweet onion, peeled, halved lengthwise
and each half thinly sliced lengthwise

1 cup milk

1 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat an oven to 375°F. Butter a 1 1/2 to 2-quart rectangular or oval baking dish.

Sprinkle the garlic over the bottom of the prepared dish. Layer half of the potato slices, in overlapping rows, over the garlic. Season lightly with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spread the onion slices evenly over the potatoes, then layer the remaining potato slices over the top, arranging them attractively. Carefully pour the milk over the potatoes, moistening all of the potato slices as you do. Then pour 1/2 cup of the cream over the potato slices, being careful to moisten all of the slices. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Bake until the potatoes are very tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, golden brown on top, and have absorbed most of the milk and cream, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. During the first 40 minutes of baking, baste the potatoes every 10 minutes by tipping the dish a little and scooping up the liquid with a large spoon. Be sure to baste all of the potato slices so that an even golden coating forms. During the last 20 to 40 minutes of baking, baste the potatoes every 10 minutes with the remaining 1/2 cup cream, again being sure to coat all of the slices. You may not need all of the cream.

Remove from the oven and serve directly from the dish. Serves 4.

Adapted from Chuck Williams Collection, Simple French Cooking, by Chuck Williams (Time-Life Books, 1996).
Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #736
Pearl-ExPert

You ladies are no good for my waistline! It has been over a year since I've had biscuits and gravy. I can't make that to save my soul, it always comes out like wallpaper paste. We have it once a year when we visit my mother-in-law.
We're making broiled flounder with WW Oven fries tonight. I actually do like the fries, and the kids will eat them.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #737
Watercolor Wizard

I take that back....I ammaking the Cheesy Meat Loaf with Mashed Potatoes and Corn

Last night I made homemade fresh pasta, sauce and meatballs.

Wednesday is Shredded Chicken Taquitos, homemade refried beans and fresh guac.

Thursday is Grilled Chicken Breasts, Potato Onion Gratin and steamed Broc

Friday is Lasagna made with fresh, homemade pasta noodles.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #738
Watercolor Wizard

I would LOVE a TNT bisquit and gravy recipe.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #739
Stazon Splitcoast

When I do the gravy it really helps if I have a good roux to begin with and then I slowly add the milk and whisk the heck out of it.

I remember the first time I made it for Ryan (this was before we were married) and my gravy was like glue. I was so upset and embarrassed. Bless his heart, he ate it anyhow.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #740
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have a recipe.

I just brown my pork sausage, drain that out and keep the grease. Slowly add the flour and get that a nice golden brown. Once that is browned, I slowly add the milk a bit at a time and like I said, whisk the heck out of it. Once I've added the amount of milk that I need, I'll season to taste with salt and pepper, boiling it to thicken it as desired.

As for the biscuits, I've cheated lately, my sister stole the cook book with my moms biscuit recipe in it and I've yet to get it from her.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #741
Watercolor Wizard

okay I'll give it a try next week! Thanks Jaclyn
Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #742
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth2os View Post
okay I'll give it a try next week! Thanks Jaclyn
You're welcome! Hope it was OK to understand.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #743
Watercolor Wizard

Yeah I understand it. I just better have a Plan B for that night in case it doesn't turn out. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #744
Die Cut Diva

3 p.m. ladies- I just finished my lunch.

Guessing we are eating a late dinner.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #745
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and um, you DO add the sausage back into the gravy. I forgot to add that.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #746
Die Cut Diva

so jesse had a frozen pizza and joey and i had chicken tenders and crispy crowns.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #747
Watercolor Wizard

Just wanted to say that the Cheesy Meat Loaf was DELISHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #748
Stazon Splitcoast

We're having Stouffers lasagna tonight with homemade garlic bread and a side salad. I just had a tooth pulled today so I'm feeling pretty crappy right now.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #749
Die Cut Diva

So I have TWO whole chickens in my freezer that I should proabably use at some point in time.

Well someone post along time ago about the woman who was using her CP everyday for a year (sorry can't remember who you were) anywho, I was scrolling around there to look for something different and found this:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...d-chicken.html

looks and sounds wonderful- I will have to do this on Friday and let you know. I have to get to the store for lemons first.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #750
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
We're having Stouffers lasagna tonight with homemade garlic bread and a side salad. I just had a tooth pulled today so I'm feeling pretty crappy right now.
Well atleast you will not have it bother you anymore, once the healing is done. Check one thing off your list.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #751
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So I have TWO whole chickens in my freezer that I should proabably use at some point in time.

Well someone post along time ago about the woman who was using her CP everyday for a year (sorry can't remember who you were) anywho, I was scrolling around there to look for something different and found this:

looks and sounds wonderful- I will have to do this on Friday and let you know. I have to get to the store for lemons first.
Michelle, this is the recipe I made the other night. It was good.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #752
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ohhhh please let us know! This looks REALLY good and we always have lemons in the house now. I can only drink ice water with freshly squeezed lemon in it, nothing else . Ok, I just realized that I'm hungry. Guess I should have probably eaten more than 1 rice cake for breakfast.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #753
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ohhhh please let us know! This looks REALLY good and we always have lemons in the house now. I can only drink ice water with freshly squeezed lemon in it, nothing else . Ok, I just realized that I'm hungry. Guess I should have probably eaten more than 1 rice cake for breakfast.
Just made chicken salad for lunch with the leftovers. Very yummy!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #754
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinCPA View Post
Michelle, this is the recipe I made the other night. It was good.
Sorry I didn't realize that is what you made since you used wine.

I am going to make her version on Banana Bread in the CP but I am going to use Nana's Apple cake mix for my base instead of mixing and measuring everything out.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #755
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
My SIL swears that putting cucumber in water is even better than lemon.

Haven't tried it but she said that when she went on one of her trips for work she took a spa day and that's what they served in a 4 star hotel spa. She said it was VERY REFRESHING.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #756
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sorry I didn't realize that is what you made since you used wine.

I am going to make her version on Banana Bread in the CP but I am going to use Nana's Apple cake mix for my base instead of mixing and measuring everything out.
If you read the comments on that entry of the crock pot blog, she talks about using breasts instead of a whole chicken. You have to add some liquid. Her SIL uses wine. I didn't have any chicken stock, so I did what her SIL did.

Another yummy recipe is this one. We're having it tomorrow I think. I guess if it has rosemary, my family loves it!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #757
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
My SIL swears that putting cucumber in water is even better than lemon.

Haven't tried it but she said that when she went on one of her trips for work she took a spa day and that's what they served in a 4 star hotel spa. She said it was VERY REFRESHING.
Oh I LOVE lemon water! I find I actually DRINK ALL of my water during the day if it has lemon in it. And then I eat the lemon as well. Sour things work really well for me right now. They help settle my tummy (which btw seems to be getting worse ).
Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #758
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Oh I LOVE lemon water! I find I actually DRINK ALL of my water during the day if it has lemon in it. And then I eat the lemon as well. Sour things work really well for me right now. They help settle my tummy (which btw seems to be getting worse ).
When you go for your first appointment let the doctor know. The number one question is:

Can you still eat the banana sundaes?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #759
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
When you go for your first appointment let the doctor know. The number one question is:

Can you still eat the banana sundaes?
LOL!

I can, but ice cream, yogurt, milk and sour cream end up leaving a bad taste in the back of my mouth, but maybe that'll all change now that the tooth is gone.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #760
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Just be careful when you are eating out. I read somewhere online that they tested the rind of lemon wedges at restaurants and they were full of bacteria. Wash your own lemons and don't put the wedge in your glass at the restaurant...just squeeze the juice in.

We're having spaghetti and garlic toast made with leftover buns. My kids' favorite kind of garlic toast...they prefer it over the packaged kind in the freezer case.