Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #601
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Stampin_U.P._North

Y'all can keep the snow. I am S.I.C.K. and T.I.R.E.D. of it. We're THISCLOSE to being out of room in our yard to put the white stuff. It's supposed to turn BITTER cold this week, joy.

So yes, Ryan is grilling today. Beef roast that's been marinated (one for a couple of months in the freezer). For sides we're having a salad, twice baked potatoes and then peanut butter striped dessert for dessert. Hopefully that doesn't make me sick. I cannot eat chocolate this pregnancy. It makes me sick . Even the dark, which I love. Oh well.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #602
Dirty Dozen Alumni

All this snow is unusual for this part of Michigan...usually the temperature inversion that tends to hover around Detroit sends everything south or north of here. Usually we don't get a major storm system through here until the end of January and we've already had 3! I'm cancelling my subscription to Global Warming, 'cause it doesn't seem to be working anymore, LOL!

I have to go to Target, as my children have gift cards burning holes in their wallets and we need deodorant for DH and female-type supplies for me (who thought she was DONE with them and gave all of them away on Freecycle, only to wake up with you know what!) Luckily, there were a few things left in a drawer, but now I have to go buy more and then I won't have another for a year, LOL! I'll pick up some tomato soup so I can do porcupines tomorrow and figure out something else for dinner today.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #603
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
All this snow is unusual for this part of Michigan...usually the temperature inversion that tends to hover around Detroit sends everything south or north of here. Usually we don't get a major storm system through here until the end of January and we've already had 3! I'm cancelling my subscription to Global Warming, 'cause it doesn't seem to be working anymore, LOL!

I have to go to Target, as my children have gift cards burning holes in their wallets and we need deodorant for DH and female-type supplies for me (who thought she was DONE with them and gave all of them away on Freecycle, only to wake up with you know what!) Luckily, there were a few things left in a drawer, but now I have to go buy more and then I won't have another for a year, LOL! I'll pick up some tomato soup so I can do porcupines tomorrow and figure out something else for dinner today.
Oh Jan, sorry about the Target trip. That stinks. Get some chocolate while you're there. That will help.

What are porcupines? I'm sure they've been discussed previously, but I'm new to the What are you making thread.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #604
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Debbie! Porcupines are meatballs with rice instead them cooked in some canned tomatoes. The rice puffs up while cooking so they look like porcupines. I'll have to see if I can find the recipe, it was posted on the first thread.

I think we are having chicken tacos tonight. I need to get some cliantro though. I love cliantro but hubby hates it. I have tortillas that need to be used up.

I made Baked Pasta last night, just sauce noodles, with a little ricotta mixed in. DH loved it so that was good.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #605
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Porcupine Meatballs

Porcupine Meatballs
(JanTink)

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (buy the leanest you can afford)
1/2 cup regular rice
2/3 cup milk
1 tbsp. dried minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 can tomato soup
1 can stewed tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix ground beef, rice, milk, minced onion, salt and pepper until combined. Form 12 meatballs, place in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Mix tomato soup and stewed tomatoes. Pour over meatballs. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

** Sam - I knew right where this was on my HD, hope you don't mind that I beat you to the punch.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #606
Stazon Splitcoast

Ooh, thanks Sam and Jaclyn! Another interesting recipe to add to my notebook. I don't think the kids will eat it though (especially not DS#1 who hates tomato anything).
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #607
Die Cut Diva

So tonight my MIL is getting pizza for us.

A Okay with me. Atleast I won't have to cook and there will be leftovers.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #608
Insane Embellisher

Tonight we're having a turkey breast with some broccoli cheddar rice for a side...and a salad or some type of veggie. I'm going to make some tuna salad for a *low cal/low points* lunch tomorrow...I kinda think it's exciting that 2 slices of weight watchers bread is only 1 point-and it's good bread, too!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #609
Die Cut Diva

Tonight I'm making chicken chow mein. It's one of my favorites. I cooked a bunch of chicken thighs in the crockpot yesterday, so I'm making chow mein with half of them and will probably use the other half to make tacos or enchilads with tomorrow. (Or maybe chicken wild rice soup now that I think of it!)
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #610
Dirty Dozen Alumni

We had pizza too. We tried a new place and the pizza was pretty good, though it seemed to be missing something to me.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #611
Pearl-ExPert

Tonight we just had subs for dinner. Tomorrow were having roast beef, roast potatoes, green beens and carrots and parsnip.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #612
Stazon Splitcoast

I think we're having BLT's tonight (which means I'll be having a turkey club). I actually got some sleep last night and was totally bummed to have to get up this morning to get the kids off to school (THEY didn't even want to get up). I'm praying that they are wrong about this bitter cold snap that's supposed to hit us tonight and for the next several days.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #613
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._North View Post
I think we're having BLT's tonight (which means I'll be having a turkey club). I actually got some sleep last night and was totally bummed to have to get up this morning to get the kids off to school (THEY didn't even want to get up). I'm praying that they are wrong about this bitter cold snap that's supposed to hit us tonight and for the next several days.
Well Jac

I hate to bust your bubble about the cold but it's coming just in time for me to have to take Joey to school everyday too with the little guy in tow. It started snowing and looks like we already have about an inch- they SAY that we could get about 4-6 inches by 4 pm.

YEA
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #614
Die Cut Diva

I was going to make a whole chicken in the CP for tonight but I think that we will have breakfast or maybe grilled sandwiches.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #615
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
Well Jac

I hate to bust your bubble about the cold but it's coming just in time for me to have to take Joey to school everyday too with the little guy in tow. It started snowing and looks like we already have about an inch- they SAY that we could get about 4-6 inches by 4 pm.

YEA
OGL Michelle - will it EVER stop? Sorry you have to take the baby out too .
Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #616
Dirty Dozen Alumni

We're supposed to get that snow too...tonight and into tomorrow evening. Lovely. Just lovely.

I am going to stop at the grocery store today after I do lunch monitoring and get that tomato soup I've been needing. I suppose I should get out the ground round I bought for the porcupines or maybe I will just buy some more so I don't have to worry about it defrosting. I have to go to a school meeting this evening or they will line us up against the wall and shoot us (i.e., it's MANDATORY attendance.)

I just balanced our checkbook and it's appalling how much money we spend on food. I took a step towards eating cheaper by ordering some food through Angel Food Ministries. We aren't starving by any means, but this program is not just for low-income people, it's for anyone struggling with their food bills. There is no income limitation and the prices are fantastic. I decided I wasn't too proud to buy food through them. I ordered two of the regular boxes, one of the special chicken boxes and one of the fruit and veggie boxes. It's a lot of food for only $101. Someone in the bible thread I read on here also buys through them and that's how I found out about it. I get to pick it up on the 24th and I'll have at least 2 weeks worth of food, I'm thinking, and then some.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #617
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Girls!

Thanks for posting Jaclyn! I had to leave for a baby shower and didn't find it quick enough.

Sorry for the nasty weather, I think it is going to be 71 here in the Bay Area today. Weather is great but the food costs here are another story. When I first moved here I just stood in shock at the grocery store. We pay at least $4 for a gallon of milk. I laughed when I was at a Walmart in Mississippi a few years back and they had CA plums for .89/lb. We don't even pay that in CA!! We are lucky to get plums, apples, grapes for around $1.99/lb. In the fall we can get apples in the $1/lb price range, but not very often. But we have great weather! LOL!

I took pork chops out this morning. I think I'll put some BBQ sauce on them and put them under the broiler. Not sure I trust DH to experiment with grilling them.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #618
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
OGL Michelle - will it EVER stop? Sorry you have to take the baby out too .
Just talked to Jesse and he's out in the country right now taking pictures- he said that he hasn't seen another vehical for about an hour!!!

NOT GOOD.

Just hope that he doesn't go off the road because he's about an hour away too!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #619
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
We're supposed to get that snow too...tonight and into tomorrow evening. Lovely. Just lovely.

I am going to stop at the grocery store today after I do lunch monitoring and get that tomato soup I've been needing. I suppose I should get out the ground round I bought for the porcupines or maybe I will just buy some more so I don't have to worry about it defrosting. I have to go to a school meeting this evening or they will line us up against the wall and shoot us (i.e., it's MANDATORY attendance.)

I just balanced our checkbook and it's appalling how much money we spend on food. I took a step towards eating cheaper by ordering some food through Angel Food Ministries. We aren't starving by any means, but this program is not just for low-income people, it's for anyone struggling with their food bills. There is no income limitation and the prices are fantastic. I decided I wasn't too proud to buy food through them. I ordered two of the regular boxes, one of the special chicken boxes and one of the fruit and veggie boxes. It's a lot of food for only $101. Someone in the bible thread I read on here also buys through them and that's how I found out about it. I get to pick it up on the 24th and I'll have at least 2 weeks worth of food, I'm thinking, and then some.
Thanks for letting us know about this Jan!!!

With the baby and having to buy a new vehical and now I just had to buy a new carseat because the one that we had doesn't work in the car. I can pretty much take the whole base of the carseat and turn it 180 degrees even with the seat belt put tight as it can go. It works in the truck but not the car. The items are really starting to add up!!!!!

I may just have to do this.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #620
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know about this Jan!!!

With the baby and having to buy a new vehical and now I just had to buy a new carseat because the one that we had doesn't work in the car. I can pretty much take the whole base of the carseat and turn it 180 degrees even with the seat belt put tight as it can go. It works in the truck but not the car. The items are really starting to add up!!!!!

I may just have to do this.
Okay well,

we don't have a host site anywhere by us.

Looks like we will continue with the pasta and soups for awhile.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #621
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry Michelle, when it rains its pours doesn't it.

We had Caramel Apple Pork Chops tonight. They were good. You cook pork chops in a frying pan, then remove them, add 2 Tbsp Smart Balance, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, little cinnamon, little nutmeg, and 2 medium apples cut into slices. Pour over pork chops and add a little chopped pecan.

I also made rice using chicken broth and a little cinnamon. I added some golden raisins after it was cooked.

I really want chicken tacos tomorrow so I have a whole chicken thawing to go into the crock pot all day. I have lots of torillas and cliantro leftover, so I'm trying to be frugal and stop wasting.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #622
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just talked to Jesse and he's out in the country right now taking pictures- he said that he hasn't seen another vehical for about an hour!!!

NOT GOOD.

Just hope that he doesn't go off the road because he's about an hour away too!!!
I hope Jesse made it home safe and sound.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #623
Stazon Splitcoast

We had BLT's and I can cross those off my list too. Emberlyn enjoyed sharing my sandwich though lol.

Tomorrow it'll be whatever Ashlynn wants to eat since she goes in for surgery on Wednesday morning (tonsils and adenoids). She can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight tomorrow night. I just hope I'm feeling better by Wed. It seems like there might be a flu bug going around. Not good.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #624
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
We had BLT's and I can cross those off my list too. Emberlyn enjoyed sharing my sandwich though lol.

Tomorrow it'll be whatever Ashlynn wants to eat since she goes in for surgery on Wednesday morning (tonsils and adenoids). She can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight tomorrow night. I just hope I'm feeling better by Wed. It seems like there might be a flu bug going around. Not good.
Best wishes to Ashlynn. I had my tonsils out at 21, what misery! The kids on the other hand, bounce right back. Hopefully she picks something yummy for dinner.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #625
Die Cut Diva

Jan and Jac-

BEWARE of what is coming your way.

Right now our AIR temp is -24 along with the windchill it's -40!!!

Just thought that I would warn you- oh Tracey it's supposed to be coming your way as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #626
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I hope Jesse made it home safe and sound.
He did, thanks.

What worries me isn't the getting stuck it's the darn cold and it's just going to get worse this week.

They say by Saturday though we should get back into the 20's.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #627
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hopefully that's not the case (the bug). Joey got a cold typical with being back at school.

I say you have an ice cream party tonight for her- although that is what she'll be eating for awhile. I wouldn't spoil it for her.

I could go for those darnn brownie and banana sundaes again. YOU'RE EVIL!!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #628
Die Cut Diva

It is so stinkin' cold outside, it's freezing inside.

We have so many windows in our house it's hard to keep it warm in the livingroom. We may just have to hibernate in the bedrooms today.

I think that I may make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies this afternoon and then tonight...

turkey loaf with potatoes

I'm crankin' the heat and the oven today!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #629
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG! I'm cold just reading those temperatures. It is crazy to think some of you have negative numbers and we are going to be in the 70's. I think lots of baking is in order! I run the ovens a lot when it gets chilly here, at least my kitchen is warm.

Ice Cream after tonsils, each dr has a different opinion on this, it can make swallowing difficult, so I was told to stay away from milk for at least a week. I went with popsicles instead.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #630
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hopefully that's not the case (the bug). Joey got a cold typical with being back at school.

I say you have an ice cream party tonight for her- although that is what she'll be eating for awhile. I wouldn't spoil it for her.

I could go for those darnn brownie and banana sundaes again. YOU'RE EVIL!!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #631
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
HA HA HA

I just went to the grocery store and bought cookie brownie bars!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #632
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
HA HA HA

I just went to the grocery store and bought cookie brownie bars!!!!
ROFL!

I just had some peanut butter striped dessert, but ugh, dairy REALLY bothers me (it did taste good tho!)
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #633
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
ROFL!

I just had some peanut butter striped dessert, but ugh, dairy REALLY bothers me (it did taste good tho!)
I broke down and had to buy the Lactade milk by Kemps, hopefully, I can choke it down since a quart is almost $3.

What we go through for these little ones.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #634
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Last night I ended up making hot dogs. I had a school meeting to go to and it was just easier. Found out they are going to hike tuition way over what we can afford, so I have spent some time finding another school to put them in next year.

Tonight will be porcupines. I have to take one child to the teacher store to get stuff for her science fair board, so I may just go ahead and make them, then put them in the oven before we leave. An hour and a half should be plenty of time to buy the stuff she needs.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #635
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry to hear about the tuition Jan, that stinks.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #636
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the tuition Jan, that stinks.
Yeah, well...I understand why, they were subsidizing the low tuition with the money from a huge fundraising effort they did a number of years ago, but that will be gone after April. Unfortunately, no one seemed to think about redoing that effort in a timely way and so this is the answer. They need 130 kids to stay open next year. 20 will be leaving with the graduating 8th grade class. I, personally, know of at least 5 kids that are leaving the school over the tuition, including mine, and the other mom I talked to mentioned other families who will have to leave as well. The individual tuition isn't the problem, so much, it's the fact that they are not discounting as deeply for siblings and if you are not in parish, there is no discounting whatsoever. It almost doubles our tuition. They have 128 students, so if you see that they will be down at least 30 of what they need and if they don't enroll a good crop of kindergartners and replace the difference, they will have to close their doors. I am not mad about it...just sad. It's darned if you do and darned if you don't. Raise tuition, lose people. Don't raise tuition, not enough money to run.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #637
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan - I'm sorry to hear you have to find a new school. I hope it works out.

I'm pretending not to hear about the desserts being mentioned, although I did treat myself to a Dark Chocolate and Caramel Ghiradelli Square. I cut back the cheese on my tacos so I could reserve some calories.

Dinner was easy tonight. I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot and shredded the meat. We had tacos with sweet onion, cilantro (not DH), squeezed lime, and Monterey Jack cheese. Hubby added sour cream and refried beans to his. I made some homemade guacamole for me, yummy!

I have no clue what we are eating tomorrow. Something with chicken tenders.

I really need to make a trip to Costco this weekend, that will be a small fortune especially if I take DH.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #638
Die Cut Diva

okay so Joey and I had corn dogs and Jesse had pre-made chicken cordon bleu's.

tonight will be the turkey roast.

i didn't get in on time, mil came over and i took advantage to get some laundry done- we were getting pretty stingy!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #639
Stampin' Fool

On Sunday, I cooked a chicken inside my terra cotta roaster (LOVE that thing!!) Tonight, I'm making chicken noodle soup from the leftovers.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #640
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey girls. Ashlynn's surgery went well. I am SOO exhausted though, only got about 3 hrs of sleep last night. Ashlynn will be dining on broth and popsicles tonight with Gatorade to drink. I'm not sure about the rest of us. Ryan's exhausted too, but not as bad as I am, so he's going to cook something quick and easy. Tomorrow though I'm cooking a pork roast in the crockpot and making mashed potatoes (Ashlynn will be able to eat those).