Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #561
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
.....Then I bring the whole shebang to a boil, cover it and lower it to a simmer and then cook it all day...
That is one of those words that simply doesn't get used enough.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #562
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Last night DH scored big points with me by calling on his way home and offering to pick up food from Chilis. As we don't have a Chilis here in town, it was a nice treat to have something different. I had the Chicken Ceaser Pita and I just LOVE the pita bread they use. Oh my. So yummy.

Tonight we'll probably end up eating the rest of the roast I made a few days ago. Maybe with some rice and salad.

Jan--it's so nice to see you again! I was wondering if you might be buried under a pile of swaps somewhere...
That's funny-my mom ended up picking up chili's tonight and had it home by the time I came home from work..and that's what I had. I LOVE it-and totally LOVEEE the pita. There is something different about theirs that makes it better than any greek/gyros place I have been before. YUMM
Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #563
Die Cut Diva

So I can't eat Booger King anymore!!!

Which is a complete downer because I love the Whoppers. Maybe it was just the lettuce that they put on there- I sometimes have a bad reaction to lettuce at different resturants.

Tonight will be the lasagna that I was going to make last night.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #564
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Stampin_U.P._North

Jan - Thank you SO much for the step by step instructions. I have a ham bone in the freezer that needs to be used, so I think one day this coming week I'll give it a whirl.

Michelle - that sucks . Our BK closed down suddenly a few years back. I ate a LOT of whoppers when I was pregnant with Brooklyn I think. LOVED their "onion rings". There is another one in Calumet, but the food there is questionable.

I went to bed early last night after having another philly steak and cheese sandwich. I'm over those now. The nausea is definitely worse in the evenings into bed time. But woke up this morning feeling bad. It's just been a day.

I'm not sure what we'll have tonight. It'll have to be quick and easy though because we're going to attempt to go grocery shopping after Ryan gets home from bringing Ashlynn to her ENT appointment this afternoon. Plus we're getting nailed with lake effect snow AGAIN. *sigh* Will it EVER end???
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #565
Die Cut Diva

Hi ladies! My 'word' for the new year is Explore. I want to push myself to learn new things and expand my horizons a bit. As part of that, my goal is to try two new recipes each month. But I'm lacking inspiration!!! Tell me what new thing you'd like to learn to make is... and maybe I'll try it!

It doesn't even have to be a main dish. Just something you have always wanted to try to make but never have gotten around to it. Or maybe something you do that you think I might like to try. My only limitation is that I don't want to have to try anything with yeast. Not yet.

Two things on my list (but not necessarily for this month) are coconut cake and paella.

Tonight's dinner is probably going to be tacos or maybe just grilled sandwiches. I need to get to the store to pick up more staples!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #566
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Tonight I am making a chili " casserole" that has cream cheese and a cornbread topping.

I need to go and pick up some stuff for my SAS on Friday. I will most likely do a Brie and some crackers and maybe some fresh veggies. On Friday we will do a heavy lunch since I will have a house full of women for stamping. Dh knows on stamp night, he gets what he gets. LOL
Old 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #567
Insane Embellisher

Tonight I think I'll make Jan's Porcupines. They sure are tasty and pretty simple to make. That is...if the little Miss will give me a chance to make anything.

The Dorito casserole....I've made something similar, but it was called Sopa. Basically, you layer green chili enchilada sauce (or red, if you prefer that), diced or shredded chicken (precooked), tortilla chips (slightly crunched up) and cheese in a casserole dish. Repeat layers, ending with a little extra sauce and cheese on top. Bake until hot and bubbly. Basically, it tastes a lot like enchilada casserole, but is super easy to make and a great dish to take to pot-lucks, etc.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #568
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemommy View Post
Tonight I am making a chili " casserole" that has cream cheese and a cornbread topping.

I need to go and pick up some stuff for my SAS on Friday. I will most likely do a Brie and some crackers and maybe some fresh veggies. On Friday we will do a heavy lunch since I will have a house full of women for stamping. Dh knows on stamp night, he gets what he gets. LOL
Hey Les you have a recipe for this? Anything with cream cheese and cornbread sounds yummy to me.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #569
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Tonight I made tacos. I almost didn't when I pulled my head of lettuce out and it was all nasty looking. But once I peeled off a lot of the leaves, the inside was perfectly fine.

Tomorrow I was thinking about doing porcupines, but that would be hamburger twice in a row. And I'm having a heart-burn flare-up, probably from all the leftover spaghetti I've been eating, so anything tomato doesn't sound too cool. So maybe some turkey tetrazzini...though I'll have to buy more spaghetti because I'm out. I might just do grilled cheese and tomato soup for DH and chicken noodle for the girls. I'll figure it out.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #570
Mad Swapper

It is SO hard coming back from the holidays! I have leftovers, but not much of anything to eat. So here is my week in review...

Sunday- traveling home, so we just opted for Subway until I could go to the grocery.

Monday- Saucy-baked Chicken, Rice and corn

Tuesday- Spaghetti with Italian sausage, leftover corn

Wednesday- Chicken Curry, Rice, peaches from a can

Thursday- ordered pizza... really tired today for some reason

Friday- Loaded potato soup using up the leftover ham from last week's festivities, TS Beer Bread because it is my favorite

Saturday- Something with ground beef since as I was digging through the freezer for dinner tonight, all I found was ground beef... like 5 pounds of it or so. I must have hit a deal and forgotten about it or something!

Sunday- crock pot Chicken Stroganoff, noodles, green beans

That's as far as I've gotten. Now with all of these recipes, I'm craving pork roast and lasagna. Those may just hit the menu for next week...
I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #571
Mad Swapper

Ohhh... Porcupines! That's what we'll have on Saturday! Thanks, Jan!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #572
Insane Embellisher

We had philly cheese steak sandwiches today. They were yummy-tomorrow we're going to have some sort of chicken.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #573
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Girls!

I'm trying to eat healthier as I just got my cholestrol test back and it is not good. Tonight I made a recipe from one of my new cookbooks and you would have thought I fed DH poison. The chicken was good with lemon and garlic, the veggies were tomatoes, fennel bulb, and zucchini.

Lasagna roll ups with wheat noodles was so yummy! I did sauteed portabello mushrooms with sauce, then layered the ricotta on the noodle first, then the mushrooms, then roll them up. Lay in a pan and cover with more sauce and cheese. We have lots of leftovers as I made 12 of them and they are so good!

Tomorrow we are having shrimp baked in diced tomatoes with some feta on top. I probably make some rice to go with it and some sort of veggie.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #574
Stazon Splitcoast

Long time no see...hi all - checking in and I see Jaclyn is expecting - did I already know that??? Sorry - I'm so lost. Congrats Jacklyn!!

And how are the new babies doing?? they look awfully cute in those avatars ladies - thanks for sharing them

Samantha - sorry dinner wasn't a hit - it's a bummer to go through all that work and get a BLECH response..

cooking...right - that's why I'm here... I've made a few quick and easy meals here this week...Sunday, which we wound up eating Monday I put some frozen chicken breasts in the CP with a jar of Archer Farms Vodka sauce...well - let me tell you - it reminded me of chicken cacciatore - without all the fuss! big hit with DH and the kiddos. I served it over rice on Monday - we had the rest today over bowties...
Tuesday I made my 'fake salisbury steak' I pan fry some bubba burgers and put onion gravy on them served with mac& Cheese and corn...last night I made chicken alfredo with bowties and broccoli - the girls didn't care much for that, but DH and I liked it a lot.

I think tomorrow we may do pizza - and it looks like Saturday will be a snow day, so I'll look for something in the freezer to cook.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #575
Die Cut Diva

Tonight will be leftover lasagna.

Looks like Jesse is sick so he is banned to the basement- I can NOT afford to get sick and take care of two little ones.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #576
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbeth View Post
It is SO hard coming back from the holidays! I have leftovers, but not much of anything to eat. So here is my week in review...

Sunday- traveling home, so we just opted for Subway until I could go to the grocery.

Monday- Saucy-baked Chicken, Rice and corn

Tuesday- Spaghetti with Italian sausage, leftover corn

Wednesday- Chicken Curry, Rice, peaches from a can

Thursday- ordered pizza... really tired today for some reason

Friday- Loaded potato soup using up the leftover ham from last week's festivities, TS Beer Bread because it is my favorite

Saturday- Something with ground beef since as I was digging through the freezer for dinner tonight, all I found was ground beef... like 5 pounds of it or so. I must have hit a deal and forgotten about it or something!

Sunday- crock pot Chicken Stroganoff, noodles, green beans

That's as far as I've gotten. Now with all of these recipes, I'm craving pork roast and lasagna. Those may just hit the menu for next week...
Hi Sarah, Do you mind sharing your recipe for saucy-baked chicken and chicken curry? Sorry if we've already got the recipes on here somewhere....
Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #577
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you Tracey!

Last night when the kids got home from school they went through an entire box of Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon clusters , that at least took care of their dinner. We then went grocery shopping (I hate doing that btw). Got home fed the baby some mac -n- cheese and turkey, got the kids ready for bed and Ryan then cooked us some steak and made baked tater with sauteed portabella mushrooms and onions. The steak was really good! I think this is going to be another beef kinda pregnancy.

Tonight I'm going to see what the kids want for dinner. Since it is the weekend we might get pizza which we haven't done in awhile. We'll see though. I woke up with a terrible and really weird sort of headache this morning at 5:30 and I haven't been able to shake it yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #578
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry for the headache Jaclyn. And the yucky weather.

I did have to laugh about the kids eating a box of cereal. So Typical!

We are having baked Shrimp with tomatoes and feta tonight. Probably over some rice since I think we are out of orzo and I don't want to go to the store again. Hopefully DH will like it better than last night's dinner. Seriously, I couldn't believe him, picking at it like it was roadkill. Grr!

Not sure what we are having tomorrow. I have leftover spaghetti sauce and mozzeralla cheese, something with that!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #579
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Hi Sarah, Do you mind sharing your recipe for saucy-baked chicken and chicken curry? Sorry if we've already got the recipes on here somewhere....
Sure!

Saucy-baked Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)
1-1/3 c. BOILING water
2 tsp (2 cubes) chicken boullion
1/2 tsp dried onion
1/2 tsp curry powder (yellow)

Place chicken in 9x9 pan (you can also do a 9x13 pan). Sprinkle each chicken breast with seasoned salt. Mix rest of ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake COVERED at 350* for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes. OPTION: Add 1 can of mushrooms 5 minutes before done. Serve over rice.

Chicken Curry

3 Tbsp butter
1-1/2 tsp curry powder (yellow)
1/4 c minced onion
3 Tbsp flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 c chicken broth
1 c milk
2 c cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Saute onion and curry powder in butter. Blend in flour, salt, sugar and ginger. (It helps to have the flour and spices pre-measured so you can add them all at once for this step.) Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil one minute. Add chicken and lemon juice. Stir until chicken is heated through. Serve with rice. *If it seems thin, let it sit a bit and it will thicken.*

These are some of our favorites! We probably make these at least 4 or 5 times a month.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #580
Hardware Hotshot

I just copied the recipes! Thanks Sarah!
Pizza for us tonight!
Snow storm coming in and it's FRIDAY!! Gotta celebrate!

Lindalee
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #581
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Sarah, I might try the curry recipe next week...sounds pretty good.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #582
Rubber Obsessor

We are having chicken and dumplings tonight..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #583
Stazon Splitcoast

Tonight we're ordering Dominos. Ashlynn has to go in for surgery on Wednesday next week (getting her tonsils and adenoids removed) so she won't be having pizza in school. Plus I'm craving their hot sauce heh.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #584
Insane Embellisher

I just stumbled across this recipe online and thought it looked pretty good. I'm out of rice, so it may be a couple days before I try it, but thought I'd share it anyway.

Arroz con Pollo

1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh-ground black pepper
2 ounce(s) smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small onion, chopped
2 clove(s) garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 3/4 cup(s) canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
2 cup(s) canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
1 cup(s) rice, preferably long-grain
2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh parsley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

1. In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the ham, onion, and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, about 3 minutes longer.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the rice and add the chicken in an even layer. Simmer, partially covered, over moderately low heat until the chicken and rice are just done, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #585
Pearl-ExPert

We had BBQ chicken pizza.

Cresent rolls for crust
BBQ sauce
chopped chicken
onion

very yummy!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #586
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth2os View Post
Hey Les you have a recipe for this? Anything with cream cheese and cornbread sounds yummy to me.
I will post it tomorrow. I promise. I just jumped on here and my stampers are on the way. You will love it.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #587
Stazon Splitcoast

Baked Shrimp with Feta was a hit! It was good too. Just sauteed onion and garlic, two cans of diced tomatoes, shrimp, and feta cheese. Bake until cooked.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #588
Mad Swapper

Holy snow, Batman! Definitely weather that demands some comfort food. I'm makin' my favorite Chicken and Noodles for this afternoon after the snow play. I'll still make something with ground beef... probably porcupines... for dinner though.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #589
Insane Embellisher

We had pizza last night-it's a Friday night thing at our house. But-we're trying to eat healthier (like most everyone!) and I started Weight Watchers, so this weeks meals are going to be different. Today we're going shopping to pick up the staples-so hopefully I'll get some quick ideas for dinners that are healthy and satisfying.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #590
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure what we're having tonight, maybe pork chops. Tomorrow though Ryan is going to grill a couple of roasts *DROOOOOOOL* and we're going to have twice baked potatoes with them.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #591
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Holy snow, Batman! Definitely weather that demands some comfort food. I'm makin' my favorite Chicken and Noodles for this afternoon after the snow play. I'll still make something with ground beef... probably porcupines... for dinner though.

It was 75 today. I actually had on a t-shirt and capris and flip flops. I miss winter. Just one good snowstorm per year and I'd be happy. It was really hard to get in the christmas spirit when it was in the 70s each day.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #592
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Chicken Curry

3 Tbsp butter
1-1/2 tsp curry powder (yellow)
1/4 c minced onion
3 Tbsp flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 c chicken broth
1 c milk
2 c cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Saute onion and curry powder in butter. Blend in flour, salt, sugar and ginger. (It helps to have the flour and spices pre-measured so you can add them all at once for this step.) Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil one minute. Add chicken and lemon juice. Stir until chicken is heated through. Serve with rice. *If it seems thin, let it sit a bit and it will thicken.*

These are some of our favorites! We probably make these at least 4 or 5 times a month.
We made this tonight and it was SOOO GOOD! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to put this one in my "keeper" file.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #593
Stazon Splitcoast

We had pork chops, jasmine rice, stuffing and peas for dinner.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #594
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well, we've had around 8 inches of snow today, anybody want to borrow some? LOL!

I reheated the bean soup from the other day. No clue what's for dinner tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll be dug out by then!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #595
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktb0605 View Post
We had pizza last night-it's a Friday night thing at our house. But-we're trying to eat healthier (like most everyone!) and I started Weight Watchers, so this weeks meals are going to be different. Today we're going shopping to pick up the staples-so hopefully I'll get some quick ideas for dinners that are healthy and satisfying.
Good luck with weight watchers!! I did really well with it - when I stuck to the plan...are they still doing points or core?? I couldn't do core - it wasn't rigid enough for me...but I did really well with the points. I should probably get myself back on it...

you said pizza and weight watchers in the same post - and it reminded me of pita pizzas I used to make - and I loved them...maybe you or someone else would enjoy the recipe.

4 whole wheat pitas (regular size)
1/4 c (I think, could be a little more) reduced fat ricotta cheese
garlic powder
roma tomatoes, sliced
frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed)
feta cheese

mix garlic powder to taste with the ricotta cheese...spread the ricotta cheese with garlic on the 4 pitas, then layer on the tomatoes, some spinach, and then sprinkle with feta cheese...pop in a 350 degree oven for about 10 mins or so

each 'pizza' is 7 points. Not too bad - they were pretty filling

tonight we had pork chops with kraut. Last night we had leftovers, got them all cleared out of the fridge. I'm going shopping tomorrow - so we'll see then what we're having for dinner...
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #596
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
Well, we've had around 8 inches of snow today, anybody want to borrow some? LOL!

I reheated the bean soup from the other day. No clue what's for dinner tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll be dug out by then!
we've got about 4 here- after the 1/2 inch of ice Wednesday...you are so sweet to offer, but I think I'll pass hee hee
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #597
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
It was 75 today. I actually had on a t-shirt and capris and flip flops. I miss winter. Just one good snowstorm per year and I'd be happy. It was really hard to get in the christmas spirit when it was in the 70s each day.
Oh Shut up!!!!

We are expecting highs this week in the SINGLE digits and even a couple negatives for the highs.

I could ship some snow to you if you would like. Jesse is actually shoveling another couple of inches that we got over night. So that would probably be around 25 inches in alittle over a month.

Now Jac and Jan have gotten even more since they are by the lake.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #598
Die Cut Diva

Last night I made Tomato soup and sandwiches.

Tonight I've got tacos on my list, but I never made it to the store to get the beef or anything else...

So it maybe either plain spaghetti or Applebee's
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #599
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002 View Post
Good luck with weight watchers!! I did really well with it - when I stuck to the plan...are they still doing points or core?? I couldn't do core - it wasn't rigid enough for me...but I did really well with the points. I should probably get myself back on it...

you said pizza and weight watchers in the same post - and it reminded me of pita pizzas I used to make - and I loved them...maybe you or someone else would enjoy the recipe.

4 whole wheat pitas (regular size)
1/4 c (I think, could be a little more) reduced fat ricotta cheese
garlic powder
roma tomatoes, sliced
frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed)
feta cheese

mix garlic powder to taste with the ricotta cheese...spread the ricotta cheese with garlic on the 4 pitas, then layer on the tomatoes, some spinach, and then sprinkle with feta cheese...pop in a 350 degree oven for about 10 mins or so

each 'pizza' is 7 points. Not too bad - they were pretty filling

tonight we had pork chops with kraut. Last night we had leftovers, got them all cleared out of the fridge. I'm going shopping tomorrow - so we'll see then what we're having for dinner...
Ohh! Thanks for the recipe! They're still doing Core and Flex-but now they came up with a new plan called "Momentum" which is a combo of the two others. They still do the points thing-except the amount of points you get aren't calculated by JUST how much you weigh (it includes whether or not you're female or male, and what you do all day) So, it should be interesting. I did it once before and lost about 14 lbs in just a month (must have been a food shock to my body!) But didn't keep up with it. This time, though I have 3 co-workers doing it with me...so it's a nice support system.

Last night we had Italian Zuchinni pie (only 6 points per slice-LOL!) It's really good and was really filling. Tonight I think we're going to have baked chicken with some cous cous (sp?)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #600
Insane Embellisher

Oh, I forgot to comment about the snow! We had another 6 inches yesterday-added the the 7 inches we had the day before! It's supposed to be -1 on Tuesday, I believe...and we have 3 other snow storms coming this way *woohoo* can you hear the sarcasm??