Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 AM   #521
Pearl-ExPert

Last night I decided that I should be pumping more good stuff into me, so I made a Madras curry, ginger chillis tumeric cilantro it was yummy. I also made chapatis. It took a while but was worth it.
Tonight I am going to my parents for dinner.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #522
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Stampin_U.P._North

I'm not sure what we're going to have for dinner tonight. I asked Ryan and his response was "I don't know I haven't looked in the freezer yet".

I need to really get better at meal planning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #523
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth2os View Post
What is Spaghetti Bake???
Spaghetti bake is really easy-it's just like it sounds...spaghetti BAKED LOL

The recipe is:

1 lb spaghetti noodles
1 lb ground beef
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves garlic
about 15 mushrooms-sliced
1 can crushed tomatoes *drained*
8 oz. cheddar cheese

precook the noodles, and drain. Saute the green pepper, onion, and mushrooms together with the garlic. Set aside. Brown the ground beef, drain, and combine with the veggie mixture. Add the can of the crushed tomatoes to the beef and veggie mix. Then, in a deep casserole dish layer noodles, beef/veg mix, and cheese until full. Top with extra cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 mins.

It's easy, simple and really good.

Tonight we're having...who knows.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #524
Stazon Splitcoast

Ryan found a beef roast in the freezer, so that's in the oven as I type this. We'll probably have rice with it tonight, for a change of pace. Shred the beef up into the gravy and serve it over the rice.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #525
Insane Embellisher

we're having pork roast...with potatoes and some veggie..usual Sunday type of dinner.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #526
Insane Embellisher

Wow, it must be the night for roasts. We're also having a roast, of the pork variety. I've had it in the cp all day with a can of mushroom soup and some stock...it smells pretty good. We will most likely be having rice and green beans with ours. Nothing too exciting.

Last night, DH picked up a Papa Murphey's pizza that was SO GOOD. I'm not a huge pizza fan, so he opted for one with chicken, spinach and some sort of white sauce (rather than tomato-based pizza sauce) and it was wonderful. Probably my all-time favorite pizza.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #527
Stazon Splitcoast

Ryan didn't pay close enough attention to the roast and it ended up drying out in the oven . He did save it though. We had jasmine rice and steamed cauliflower and carrots with it. It was good!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #528
Die Cut Diva

I didn't make anything tonight.

I fell asleep around 4:30 and got up when Alex did at 7.

The boys had a frozen pizza and I ate a sandwich and soup.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #529
Stazon Splitcoast

YAY for sleep, Michelle!

Ryan took out burger for dinner tonight. I'm not to thrilled because we just had beef last night. He also took out a chicken breast for me (ICK), but I cooked that up for the kids for lunch today since we have a SNOW DAY UGH!
He wants tacos, however we're missing MOST of the ingredients. Men I tell ya! He'll probably end up making stroganoff or something of that like, ick.

Yes, I'm picky right now. Things are bothering me so much more as the days progress. And with the kids being home YET AGAIN today I'm ready to pull my hair out.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #530
Die Cut Diva

Tomorrow they will be in school!!!!

Take a nap when you can or tell Ryan that you are going to bed when he gets home.

I am making fried pork chops and potatoes. I have to make the bland meals since nothings seems to agree with the little guy. Yippie for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #531
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._North View Post
YAY for sleep, Michelle!

Ryan took out burger for dinner tonight. I'm not to thrilled because we just had beef last night. He also took out a chicken breast for me (ICK), but I cooked that up for the kids for lunch today since we have a SNOW DAY UGH!
He wants tacos, however we're missing MOST of the ingredients. Men I tell ya! He'll probably end up making stroganoff or something of that like, ick.

Yes, I'm picky right now. Things are bothering me so much more as the days progress. And with the kids being home YET AGAIN today I'm ready to pull my hair out.
Ooh, tacos sound so good. Hmmm...I know I don't have any taco shells but I've got tortillas. We'll see if I have the energy to make homemade ones...otherwise we'll be having soft tacos.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #532
Stazon Splitcoast

Ryan is getting his way. We're having tacos. Maybe I'll be able to eat the olives.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #533
Insane Embellisher

Ooo tacos DO sound good. But,I love anything Mexican..so I would eat tacos every day if I could!

We're having burgers and tater tots tonight...blah boring meal ha!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #534
Watercolor Wizard

Green Chili and Chicken Enchilada Casserole - smells yummy!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #535
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I can check tacos off of my list.

Or add it to the ever growing list of things I can't eat.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #536
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Ok, I can check tacos off of my list.

Or add it to the ever growing list of things I can't eat.
Oh No! I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I never really had to eliminate anything but it was a good thing that I was pregnant during the summer because the only thing I really craved was fresh melon. Poor Avery, either she's going to love it or hate it since she's had so much.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #537
Stazon Splitcoast

Kids are having baked ring bologna, boiled potatoes, baked beans and applesauce for dinner. I'm having a sandwich from Wal Mart, philly steak and cheese. Ryan will either eat what the kids have or have left overs from last night when he gets home.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #538
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry Jacyln, I love anything Mexican!

Cooking Light has a great sounding chicken enchilada recipe listed using low fat cream cheese in the middles.

We were supposed to have Lasagna Roll Ups last night but DH and I had crappy work days, so he took me out for steak at Black Angus. Those will be tonight with some steamed green beans.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #539
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
Sorry Jacyln, I love anything Mexican!

Cooking Light has a great sounding chicken enchilada recipe listed using low fat cream cheese in the middles.

We were supposed to have Lasagna Roll Ups last night but DH and I had crappy work days, so he took me out for steak at Black Angus. Those will be tonight with some steamed green beans.
What are lasagna roll ups?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #540
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
What are lasagna roll ups?
You take lasagna filling (I use ricotta, thawed spinach, and sauce) and roll it up in a boiled lasagna noodle. Then top with sauce and cheese and bake. I'm going to try it with whole wheat noodles, wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #541
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
You take lasagna filling (I use ricotta, thawed spinach, and sauce) and roll it up in a boiled lasagna noodle. Then top with sauce and cheese and bake. I'm going to try it with whole wheat noodles, wish me luck!
Quick, easy and simple! I like it! Good luck using the whole wheat noodles, let us know how they turn out.

Speaking of whole. We used to buy the Sara Lee whole grain white bread and OMG I couldn't believe it today when I was in WM. It went up $1 from the last time we bought bread, a week or so ago. Time to find something else to buy. It's well over $2 a loaf now.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #542
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Those sound good Sam!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #543
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Quick, easy and simple! I like it! Good luck using the whole wheat noodles, let us know how they turn out.

Speaking of whole. We used to buy the Sara Lee whole grain white bread and OMG I couldn't believe it today when I was in WM. It went up $1 from the last time we bought bread, a week or so ago. Time to find something else to buy. It's well over $2 a loaf now.
Sorry, I had to laugh at this. I wish I paid $2 a loaf for anything in California. The Safeway brand isn't even that cheap. I pay at least over $4 for a loaf it if isn't on sale. Sale is usually 2 for $5. Although anything going up $1 is a shocker to the grocery budget! Growing up we went to the Hostess Bakery Outlet. I don't think you have Costco, bread there is cheap.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #544
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

LOL

I don't mean to laugh but I do the SAME thing!! I come home from grocery shopping and complain about the price increase on EVERYTHING. Juice for one thing.

We all drink a lot of juice and when Joey was little I was buying Juicy Juice and stopped because when I started it was $1.79 a bottle and went to $2.50 and now is even higher. So I started buying Old Orchard which was $1.50 a bottle for all juice that is now $2.70 a bottle. Sometimes they run specials where it's buy one get one, but still.

Jesse just laughes at me and when you're the one doing the shopping all the time and watching prices and how much you spend on food it's just plain madening!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #545
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
LOL

I don't mean to laugh but I do the SAME thing!! I come home from grocery shopping and complain about the price increase on EVERYTHING. Juice for one thing.

We all drink a lot of juice and when Joey was little I was buying Juicy Juice and stopped because when I started it was $1.79 a bottle and went to $2.50 and now is even higher. So I started buying Old Orchard which was $1.50 a bottle for all juice that is now $2.70 a bottle. Sometimes they run specials where it's buy one get one, but still.

Jesse just laughes at me and when you're the one doing the shopping all the time and watching prices and how much you spend on food it's just plain madening!!!
John doesn't get it either. A few days after Avery was born, he was seriously suffering from cabin fever, so I sent him to the store with a very specific list. Usually, I do all of the shopping (#1 because I can stick to the list and budget, and #2 because I know how limited our storage space is) but I figured he needed something to do and he could handle it, right? Wrong. He came back 2 hours later with dozens of grocery bags, which he deposited on the kitchen counter for me to put away. I pulled out half a dozen frozen pizzas, 6 bags of frozen tater tots, 3 half-gallons of ice cream, a HUGE box of frozen sausage biscuit breakfast sandwiches, 4 boxes of toaster streudels, 4 boxes of frozen waffles....yes, I'll stop but there was much more. None of these items were on the list, but he did manage to get what WAS on the list, but we had to chat a little about quantity. I asked for bagels, he brought 3 packages of bagels. I asked for milk, he brought 2 gallons. You see where this is going, right? So, here we are 3 weeks later and my fridge, freezer and pantry are still filled to capacity....yet there's not much in there for me to actually "cook with". Frozen waffles can only get you so far when you're searching for dinner...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #546
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I have to laugh, too! I know that when I went to the store with my mom the other day the Sara Lee whole grain white was $3.49-which is why we bought the $.99 off-brand bread! And, good lord the price of milk and dairy around here is insane-and it's not like you can go without milk for a few weeks.

Anyways, tonight for dinner is ??? it's up in the air. I am not hungry since I had a big lunch-but we'll see what happens.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #547
Watercolor Wizard

This is what I am making tonight. I hope it is good. It got rave reviews from several friends so I am giving it a try! I'll let you know the results.

Dorito Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 lg. onion (chopped)
1 lb. grated cheese
1 (8 oz.) sour cream
8 oz. water
1 can mushroom soup
1 pkg. lg. dorito chips
2 sm. cans mild taco sauce
2 sm. cans mild chopped green chilis

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain grease off. Add all ingredients except cheese and doritos. In casserole dish place a layer of doritos, a layer of meat mixture and a layer of cheese. Repeat process ending with a layer of cheese. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes. May be made ahead of time and put in refrigerator the day before you bake and serve.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #548
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
John doesn't get it either. A few days after Avery was born, he was seriously suffering from cabin fever, so I sent him to the store with a very specific list. Usually, I do all of the shopping (#1 because I can stick to the list and budget, and #2 because I know how limited our storage space is) but I figured he needed something to do and he could handle it, right? Wrong. He came back 2 hours later with dozens of grocery bags, which he deposited on the kitchen counter for me to put away. I pulled out half a dozen frozen pizzas, 6 bags of frozen tater tots, 3 half-gallons of ice cream, a HUGE box of frozen sausage biscuit breakfast sandwiches, 4 boxes of toaster streudels, 4 boxes of frozen waffles....yes, I'll stop but there was much more. None of these items were on the list, but he did manage to get what WAS on the list, but we had to chat a little about quantity. I asked for bagels, he brought 3 packages of bagels. I asked for milk, he brought 2 gallons. You see where this is going, right? So, here we are 3 weeks later and my fridge, freezer and pantry are still filled to capacity....yet there's not much in there for me to actually "cook with". Frozen waffles can only get you so far when you're searching for dinner...
OMG- that is too funny!!!!!!

I was reading your post to Jesse and he was telling me your husband is a GREAT shopper!!!!

Jesse would do the SAME thing. LOL
Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 AM   #549
Die Cut Diva

I made corndogs and crispy crowns for Joey

and Jesse and I had Chicken Cordon Bleu's with Crispy Crowns
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #550
Die Cut Diva

I think tonight I will make the lasagna that I have in the freezer.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #551
Watercolor Wizard

The Dorito Casserole was FABULOUS!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #552
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth2os View Post
This is what I am making tonight. I hope it is good. It got rave reviews from several friends so I am giving it a try! I'll let you know the results.

Dorito Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 lg. onion (chopped)
1 lb. grated cheese
1 (8 oz.) sour cream
8 oz. water
1 can mushroom soup
1 pkg. lg. dorito chips
2 sm. cans mild taco sauce
2 sm. cans mild chopped green chilis

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain grease off. Add all ingredients except cheese and doritos. In casserole dish place a layer of doritos, a layer of meat mixture and a layer of cheese. Repeat process ending with a layer of cheese. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes. May be made ahead of time and put in refrigerator the day before you bake and serve.
Question to myself: would I be able to keep my kids away from a bag of Doritos long enough to make this? LOL!

Question to you: what variety of Doritos did you use?

It sounds great and like something my DH would like, so I think I will put this on the list. It reminds me of a casserole a friend's mom used to make that used the taco flavored Doritos with chicken...I will have to see if I can find a recipe for that too.

Last night we had home-made mac & cheese and spinach. Our local grocery doesn't carry frozen leaf spinach any more, so I tried buying a bag of fresh. A) the taste was MUCH stronger and while I liked it, DH did not...it was easy to cook in the microwave, though and B) a big bag cooked only yielded two servings, LOL! But the mac & cheese was devoured, as usual.

Then I also took the country ribs I cooked on Christmas day and miraculously were still good, threw them in a little pot and looked for barbecue sauce, but didn't have any. So I put in some ketchup, brown sugar, a splash of vinegar and a dash of Liquid Smoke and simmered them for about three hours, then pulled all the meat off the bone and mashed it up for pork barbecue, which DH ate in mass quantities on buns. Had a bit left, which he will probably eat up tonight.

Tonight I am making bean soup, though I don't know if I want to serve it up tonight or make it, then refrigerate it for tomorrow. I am using up the ham from Christmas this way...we've just been trying to work through all these leftovers and it's been taking a while! I made spaghetti on Sunday, we ate Chinese on Monday.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #553
Insane Embellisher

Last night DH scored big points with me by calling on his way home and offering to pick up food from Chilis. As we don't have a Chilis here in town, it was a nice treat to have something different. I had the Chicken Ceaser Pita and I just LOVE the pita bread they use. Oh my. So yummy.

Tonight we'll probably end up eating the rest of the roast I made a few days ago. Maybe with some rice and salad.

Jan--it's so nice to see you again! I was wondering if you might be buried under a pile of swaps somewhere...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #554
Hardware Hotshot

new to this thread but love to cook & eat.
Today is cold & snowy in Ohio.
Gonna make Unstuffed Pepper Soup with salad & cantalope.

I have had that Dorito recipe. Yum Yum GOOD!!!

Lindalee
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #555
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
Question to myself: would I be able to keep my kids away from a bag of Doritos long enough to make this? LOL!

Question to you: what variety of Doritos did you use?
Well I did have to hide the Doritos AND I bought 2 family size bags just in case someone got into one. I just used the regular Nacho Cheese Doritos but I think next time I would use the Spicy Nacho because we like our stuff with a little more kick. I also used the La Victoria Salsa Bravo that comes in the tall bottle. I also doubled the recipe because my family (of 3) eat a lot. I do have leftovers, but not enough for another meal.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #556
Die Cut Diva

I love Doritos too!!!

I don't think that I would be able to make that meal for awhile though. I am trying to slowly introduce milk back into my system so the little guys digestive system can get used to it.

Uggg- I LOVE MILK.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #557
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Jan nice to "see" you again! Question for you - How do you make your bean soup? If I've asked this before I apologize. My grandpa (who was from down south) used to make the BESTEST bean soup with ham and cornbread. Sadly, I have NEVER had any luck making it and I would LOVE to have some.

I think the kids are going to have a frozen pizza. Food is slim pickins in the house right now, have to go grocery shopping this weekend. They have Word Of Life at the church tonight, I think, so they'll need something quick and easy.

I'm not sure what Ryan and I will eat. I feel really terrible today - the nausea seems to be worse in the afternoon and into the evening now. There isn't much right now that I can eat that doesn't come back to kick me in the behind.

Michelle - Good luck getting milk back in your diet. I haven't been able to drink milk in over 2 yrs. Couldn't drink it when I was pregnant with Emberlyn and haven't been able to since.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #558
Die Cut Diva

Stef, I love the Chicken Pita from Chilis too! I always seem to order it.

I lost this thread somehow, so its been awhile since I've posted. I did a chicken skillet last night and tonight we are going to Chipotle. YUM! I absolutely love that place!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #559
Die Cut Diva

Jesse decided that he wanted Booger King, atleast I don't have to cook.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #560
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Hey Jan nice to "see" you again! Question for you - How do you make your bean soup? If I've asked this before I apologize. My grandpa (who was from down south) used to make the BESTEST bean soup with ham and cornbread. Sadly, I have NEVER had any luck making it and I would LOVE to have some.

I think the kids are going to have a frozen pizza. Food is slim pickins in the house right now, have to go grocery shopping this weekend. They have Word Of Life at the church tonight, I think, so they'll need something quick and easy.

I'm not sure what Ryan and I will eat. I feel really terrible today - the nausea seems to be worse in the afternoon and into the evening now. There isn't much right now that I can eat that doesn't come back to kick me in the behind.

Michelle - Good luck getting milk back in your diet. I haven't been able to drink milk in over 2 yrs. Couldn't drink it when I was pregnant with Emberlyn and haven't been able to since.
I do mine pretty simply. I take a ham bone with a lot of meat OR a really meaty ham hock or two (our meat market has really good, big ones, so I have them saw one into pieces to make it easier to deal with), throw it in a dutch oven with a pound of beans, either navy or great northern (that's what I used today), plus 1/2 onion chopped, 2 celery ribs chopped and a one carrot, peeled and chopped. I add water to cover the ham bone (you should be somewhat conservative there...you can always add MORE water later, but it's much more difficult to thicken soup that has too much water) and throw in a couple of bay leaves. Then I bring the whole shebang to a boil, cover it and lower it to a simmer and then cook it all day (I started mine around 11 AM and served it around 6 PM). I do NOT presoak the beans ahead of time...as long as you have enough time, you don't need to do that.

After it's cooked all day, I pull the ham hock or bone out and chop up the ham and remove any gristle, fat or bones. I return the ham to the pot and decide if I need to thin it down or not; if I do I add a cup of water at a time until I feel it's the right consistency. If you've cooked it long enough, the beans burst open and thicken the soup naturally. If it seems too thin, you can cook it uncovered to evaporate the excess.

It's truly an easy soup to make. My mom always made hers and stopped before the beans burst too much, she only put onion in hers, then we ate it on top of bread. I like more veggies and a thicker consistency and I still put a couple of slices of bread in my bowl when I eat it. I have to say, this particular pot was extra good! And it felt good to use that ham up...we've been trying to squeeze every bit of value out of the food we buy.

As far as milk in the diet, I can hear you on that. Every single one of my kids was sensitive to it in my milk and I still do not drink much milk and rarely eat cereal and milk any more because I was off it so long.

When I was pregnant with my oldest, I had a weird gag-reflex thing: if I didn't like the look, smell, taste or texture of what I was eating, I would start to gag and couldn't eat it. Only happened with the oldest, though. And today, she is my most adventurous eater...you'd think she would have been the pickiest, LOL!