Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #361
Dirty Dozen Alumni

We ate up the rest of the soup...my, was that tasty! We've never eaten a pot of vegetable soup up so fast...usually by the time we get to the bottom of the tupperware container, we are sick of it.

I also heated up the leftover sloppy joe from last Sunday and we had that with our soup. Of course, this was just DH and I, DS ate up the rest of the pizza from yesterday and the girls just wanted popcorn, so that was that.

Friday I made a big batch of bran muffin batter from the recipe the Frugal Gourmet had in one of his cookbooks. You mix it up, then let it sit in the fridge overnight. You can leave the batter in the fridge for 6 weeks, but it usually doesn't last that long! It's great to get up in the morning and bake a batch of 6 muffins, or if you prefer, you can bake them all up at once. They have to sit so the All Bran dissolves into the batter. It doesn't say that in the recipe, though...the first time I made them I baked some right away and the All Bran was still crunchy...definitely not what you want in a muffin!

Quote:
Measure Ingredient
5 teaspoons Baking soda
1 cup Butter
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
4 cups All-Bran
2 cups 40-percent Bran Flakes
5 cups All-purpose flour
1 quart Buttermilk

This is a great recipe because it is delicious, healthy, and there is no waste. None. You can keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks! That means you can get up in the morning and while you are getting cleaned up you can be baking a batch of muffins for breakfast. Takes no time at all! This recipe makes 6 dozen muffins, so you will be set for a while. Dissolve the baking soda in 2 cups boiling water (microwave). Set aside to cool. With your electric mixer cream the butter and the sugar and beat in the eggs. Remove bowl from machine and stir in, by hand, tbe remaining ingredients. Finally, stir in the soda water. Keep the batter covered in the refrigerator for weeks. Bake in muffin pans in a 375 oven for 30 minutes.
I went over to the grocery store and picked up the stuff for the pork roast. I'm going to pop it in first thing in the morning before church and let it go all day. I asked DH if he'd like something like that and he said he didn't know as he's never had anything like it before. So what the heck, I thought, if he doesn't like the kraut, he'll at least eat the meat, onions and potatoes. I'll let you know how it comes out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #362
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Stampin_U.P._North

We are in for some nasty weather today. So we're not leaving (unless necessary) the house. We're going to have BBQ beef ribs, cheesy potatoes and spaghetti squash for dinner tonight.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #363
Die Cut Diva

Yeah we're in the nasty weather right now!!!!

I can barely see across the street and Jesse just left to go and take pictures of houses a half hour away. His comment "if it's too bad at the edge of town, I'll come back"

WHAT- how about you don't go...

Well tomorrow night is the day ladies, unless I spontaniously burst. Hopefully Stef is doing good right now.

Tonight I think will be either spaghetti (need my carbs for delivery) or goulash. Pretty much the same thing but Joey will only eat spaghetti.

Tomorrow night- not sure if I will feel like eating or not. We'll see.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #364
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post

I'm wishing a quick and easy delivery for you!! How long were you in labor with J?? Every kid is different, but - hopefully you won't be in too long. {{{HUGS}}}

Hope DH gets home OK...my DH is the same way, it makes me crazy sometimes...
Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #365
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
Yeah we're in the nasty weather right now!!!!

I can barely see across the street and Jesse just left to go and take pictures of houses a half hour away. His comment "if it's too bad at the edge of town, I'll come back"

WHAT- how about you don't go...

Well tomorrow night is the day ladies, unless I spontaniously burst. Hopefully Stef is doing good right now.

Tonight I think will be either spaghetti (need my carbs for delivery) or goulash. Pretty much the same thing but Joey will only eat spaghetti.

I ran to Kmart this morning - just a stone's throw from my house... and coming back, I couldn't see the road leading into our housing development. It's pretty heavy. J was going to take G to the movie in Cold Spring today but I told him he wasn't allowed to drive in this weather.

Cooking up the beef stew I made Thursday night. It'll simmer all day in the crockpot. Yum.

The ribs the other night were AWESOME. So easy to make. I'll definitely do those again!

Lots of luck to you tomorrow! I hope the delivery goes well! If only the Times published birth data every day, I would watch for it!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #366
Dirty Dozen Alumni

How exciting! I'll be thinking about both Stef and Michelle today and tomorrow; here's hoping you both have an easy labor and that you're back home before you know it!

I got up at 6:30 this morning to get that pork started; it said 8 to 10 hours and I wanted the maximum. It's been in 8 now and smells marvelous! Here's the recipe:

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 2 to 3 pound pork loin roast, silver skin trimmed, patted dry (I used a 3 1/2 pound pork sirloin roast instead...in fact it was two small ones in the net thing, which I cut off, then I tied the two roasts together with kitchen string)
4 small onions, quartered
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 medium red potatoes, halved (I used 8 small red potatoes)
6 grinds of pepper
1 lb. bag fresh sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (and she means the fresh stuff, NOT jarred or canned)

Heat the oil in a large skillet or saute pan until very hot. Brown the roast on all sides for 4 to 5 minutes total. Put the roast in the bottom of a large round or oval crock pot. Tuck the onions around the roast, sprinkle the garlic on top of the roast. Then put the potatoes over the top of that, then spread the sauerkraut over the whole thing. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

It's very simple, as you can see. I will let you know this evening how it tastes! I'm getting hungry!
Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #367
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Girls!

How exciting for the new babies coming! Congratulations!

My husband's grandfather passed away a few days ago, so dinner has not been a priority. We went out with friends last night and had a great meal and so much fun. Tonight we are having pork chops (I hope they are still good), baked potato for DH, baked sweet potato for me, and steamed asparagus.

I need to think of something for tomorrow and I need to call my neighbor and get my crockpot back. I'm a little annoyed that she borrowed it for Thanksgiving and still hasn't returned it. I think I might make spaghetti and meatballs. The viewing is Tuesday night, so something we can warm up and eat quickly will be helpful.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #368
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
Hi Girls!

How exciting for the new babies coming! Congratulations!

My husband's grandfather passed away a few days ago, so dinner has not been a priority. We went out with friends last night and had a great meal and so much fun. Tonight we are having pork chops (I hope they are still good), baked potato for DH, baked sweet potato for me, and steamed asparagus.

I need to think of something for tomorrow and I need to call my neighbor and get my crockpot back. I'm a little annoyed that she borrowed it for Thanksgiving and still hasn't returned it. I think I might make spaghetti and meatballs. The viewing is Tuesday night, so something we can warm up and eat quickly will be helpful.
Oh Sam, I'm sorry for your (his) loss. My deepest condolences.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #369
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin_U.P._North View Post
Oh Sam, I'm sorry for your (his) loss. My deepest condolences.
Thank you. The worst part is waiting for so long for the funeral, not sure why FIL decided to do that. We are all within 2 miles of each other. My DH is finally coping and he has to get turned upside down again.

Did you figure out your secret friend yet?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #370
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi everyone, back as promised to report!

Well...it was different. LOL!

The pork itself was very moist, but very bland. The potatoes, not so wonderful. The kraut was okay.

Sigh...well, at least I know that the pork roast works in the crock pot, it's just a matter of finding out how best to do it next time.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #371
Splitcoast Group Leader

Send a message via AIM to laurelwright

Oh. isn't that frustrating...crock pot things can smell so good and then when you get to eating them they can be so overcooked they are dryed out or tough or tastless! My fried just puts her pork roast in there with some seasonings and onions on the top, throws in a few potatoes around it and 1/2 cup water....that is it! She swears by it! She does a whole chicken like that too and I tried the chicken and it was too dried out for me...fell off the bone as she said, but I guess I don't usually cook chicken so long it falls off the bones.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #372
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan ~ Last time I did a pork roast in the crockpot I cooked it with some chicken broth, some melted butter, a can or two of cream of mushroom soup and a couple of shakes of onion soup mix. It came out tender and moist. I don't remember the exact measurements tho, just kinda eyeballed it. I think it was 1 c. of broth and probably 3/4 stick of melted butter (REAL butter, not margarine).

I'm not sure what we're having today. We have a snow day. So I am going to have the kids make the cards for their teachers. I was up until 2am doing stocking stuffers for the pre-school and kinder classes. So much for getting them done on time . It'll probably end up being tomato soup tonight because it is SOOO bitter outside.

Good luck Michelle!!

Sam ~ I haven't figured it out. I should have looked at the return label, but you know what they say about hind sight ........ it's 20/20.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #373
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Sam ~ I haven't figured it out. I should have looked at the return label, but you know what they say about hind sight ........ it's 20/20.

Well I'll end the mystery and tell you it was me!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #374
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan - I hate when that happens. I like to take a pork roast and add a can of whole cranberrys, apricot nectar, packet of onion soup mix and a little water. Of course you can always cook it with a little beer and season the roast and then shred for pulled pork.

I just pulled out the gigantic can of tomato sauce from Costco and my stock pot. The meat is thawing in the sink for meatballs which I'll make right before dinner. Yummy! We need some comfort food around here.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #375
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well, I heated up the stuff to eat for lunch, hoping it had improved over night. NOT! LOL! It ended up getting so hot, though, it distorted the heck out of my rubbermaid container when the lid, which I had sort of put on top so that there would be air coming in and out, fell down and sealed itself somehow. SO it all puckered up. Now I will probably have to toss it.

The food tasted pretty much the same, which wasn't great. I put ketchup on it, which helped a little.

Tonight I'm making hamburger stroganoff, noodles and green beans; one of my favorite stand-by meals. I made it too many times a little while back so we have been taking a break from it, but I think it sounds good for tonight.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #376
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
Well I'll end the mystery and tell you it was me!
Thank you!! LOL

I have been wanting to see and feel and try the Bazzil papers and they are so pretty in person! You are so sweet Sam!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #377
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan - I love making hamburger strongnoff. Yummy! I also burned us out too.

Jaclyn - I'm so glad you liked it. I love Bazzil. All that Scraps is one of my favorite places to order it from.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #378
Insane Embellisher

Hey ladies..I came across this wonderful thread and was interested in finding all the recipes together in an attachment.. I went to the first thread and am having a heck of a time finding an attachment..is there one? I love sharing new recipes with people and getting new recipes to try!

However, no new recipe today-we had a party on Saturday and we are having left over italian beef and mostacioli. Tomorrow we'll probably have the same!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #379
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktb0605 View Post
Hey ladies..I came across this wonderful thread and was interested in finding all the recipes together in an attachment.. I went to the first thread and am having a heck of a time finding an attachment..is there one? I love sharing new recipes with people and getting new recipes to try!

However, no new recipe today-we had a party on Saturday and we are having left over italian beef and mostacioli. Tomorrow we'll probably have the same!
When you look at the thread, there should be a little paper clip to the right of it, click on that and it'll give you the attachments HTH.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #380
SCS RAK Coordinator

Send a message via MSN to g33kgr1

Need a cheesy potato recipe... anyone have a fav? I thinking something with a little onion, cheese, potato... and thickener... flour?

Also.. wondering if I can cook it a little now, freeze it, and pull it out Christmas and finish cooking it?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #381
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kgr1 View Post
Need a cheesy potato recipe... anyone have a fav? I thinking something with a little onion, cheese, potato... and thickener... flour?

Also.. wondering if I can cook it a little now, freeze it, and pull it out Christmas and finish cooking it?
Potato is not one of those things that freezes well (at least, not for the home cook), so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

I sometimes make the recipe you can find all over the place using frozen hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and cheese. That one is very popular. You can make that one the night before and stick it in the fridge before baking it.

The one my mom used to make is done like scalloped potatoes, except she added slices of American cheese to each layer of potato...it is very good! You peel and slice several potatoes (enough to fill the casserole you are using). Then you grease your casserole dish, and start layering:

Potato slices
a shake of dried minced onion
a shake of flour
salt & pepper
cheese slices

Keep layering until you fill up your casserole, ending with a layer without the cheese slices (no cheese on top). Then pour milk in until it's about half-way up the side of the casserole (I do this in a glass dish, usually, so it's easy to see). Then bake for about an hour to an hour and a half at 350 or 375, whatever temperature your ham or whatever is baking, longer if the temperature is lower.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #382
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
When you look at the thread, there should be a little paper clip to the right of it, click on that and it'll give you the attachments HTH.
Great Thank you!

Also here is a link for one of our Christmas favs called Funeral Potatoes
http://www.recipezaar.com/Funeral-Potatoes-240439
Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #383
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Today is my DH's birthday, so we are having broiled steak with sauteed mushrooms, baked potato or sweet potato and either cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Fortunately, the local grocery had sirloin on sale for $3.99 per pound; at that price, I can afford to cook steak for everyone! The NY strip was $11.99 per pound! Yikes!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #384
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
Today is my DH's birthday, so we are having broiled steak with sauteed mushrooms, baked potato or sweet potato and either cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Fortunately, the local grocery had sirloin on sale for $3.99 per pound; at that price, I can afford to cook steak for everyone! The NY strip was $11.99 per pound! Yikes!
What time is dinner??? I'll bring DH a gift Happy b-day to your hubby!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #385
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Today I will make some spaghetti or something since I have a little Chistmas open house to go to tonight. So I have to go home and make some cinnamon apple bread to take tonight too.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #386
Stazon Splitcoast

Tonight the kids are having grilled cheese and tomato soup, except for Emberlyn who'll have yogurt. I have an upset tummy so I'll just be eating crackers methinks.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #387
Insane Embellisher

Talking

Hi Girls,

First of all...Sam, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with your family.

Secondly, thanks so much for the well wishes. It must have worked because little miss Avery Grace arrived Sunday at 10:34 am after just under 3 hours of labor. She's just adorable and as soon as I figure out how to add a picture on here, I'll post one.

As far as cooking goes, I stocked up my pantry and fridge last week and I haven't actually cooked a thing since getting home yesterday. We had friends bring us roast and mashed potatoes yesterday and today another friend is bringing us bbq chicken. DH has been fantastic and made breakfast (eggs scrambled with sausage and cheese and tortillas) and lunch (chicken and veggies). It's amazing, he didn't add any extra "goodies" to it and it tasted wonderful. Gotta love him.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #388
Insane Embellisher

If I did this right, there should be a photo of Avery and her dadddy...
Attached Thumbnails
hospital-12-14-08-001.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #389
Stazon Splitcoast

WELCOME BABY AVERY!

Congratulations Stef and hubby! From what I can see of her, she's beautiful!! Glad things went so well!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #390
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Stef!!!

She looks SO SWEET! I love the name too (my father's mother's maiden name was Avery, so I feel a connection, LOL!)

And that look on your husband's face...made me tear up, he looks so tender! You can tell she's already daddy's little girl!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #391
Insane Embellisher

Stef-
What a PRETTY BABY! She's so teeny tiny-and what a beautiful name. Congratulations to you and your husband!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #392
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure what we're going to have tonight. We're supposed to run into town to pick up a few things, but we're supposed to be getting hit with 4-6 inches of lake effect snow again tonight. So we'll see.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #393
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Hi Girls,

First of all...Sam, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with your family.

Secondly, thanks so much for the well wishes. It must have worked because little miss Avery Grace arrived Sunday at 10:34 am after just under 3 hours of labor. She's just adorable and as soon as I figure out how to add a picture on here, I'll post one.

As far as cooking goes, I stocked up my pantry and fridge last week and I haven't actually cooked a thing since getting home yesterday. We had friends bring us roast and mashed potatoes yesterday and today another friend is bringing us bbq chicken. DH has been fantastic and made breakfast (eggs scrambled with sausage and cheese and tortillas) and lunch (chicken and veggies). It's amazing, he didn't add any extra "goodies" to it and it tasted wonderful. Gotta love him.
YIPEEE!! Congratulations! So excited for you - I love her name...beautiful...and I adore the picture of her and your DH...love at first sight...I'm getting all misty.

ok - seriously though - how wonderful that you had such a quick labor!! That was like my 2nd...the first one was about 5 hours, second one 3...hope you are feeling well -

Enjoy Avery, she's a beauty!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #394
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations Stef!! She is adorable and such a beautiful name. Glad hubby isn't getting too creative with the food.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #395
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Girls!

I have to cook something tomorrow night. My poor stomach is so out of whack with the junk I have consumed over the last few nights. The funeral was today and I consoled myself with cookies and cake and a few too many glasses of wine. I just had some chicken and rice soup so I feel a little better. So much for the healthy eating pattern I had going!!

It is cold here in the Bay Area, so comfort food is screaming my name.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #396
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Sam! Comfort food sounds so good!

Thursday night we're getting pizza from a local restaurant. Ryan won a $20 gift certificate at his work party on Saturday and it expires on the 31. On Thursdays this place has $2 off any pizza, so if we get a couple of large cheese 'zas the GC should cover it all.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #397
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Sam! Comfort food sounds so good!

Thursday night we're getting pizza from a local restaurant. Ryan won a $20 gift certificate at his work party on Saturday and it expires on the 31. On Thursdays this place has $2 off any pizza, so if we get a couple of large cheese 'zas the GC should cover it all.
Free pizza is the best!! I really wanted a pizza tonight, maybe we will just have that tomorrow. I have to work late and hubby goes to bowling. I'll make sure to add a salad!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #398
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Last night was the school Christmas concert. So I made homemade mac & cheese and steamed brussel sprouts. Everything got eaten! Glad I doubled the recipe for the mac & cheese!

Tonight is our church's Christmas dinner at a local restaurant, so that's where most of us are eating. I will have to figure out what to make for DH since he doesn't go to the dinner.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #399
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Girls!!

I think my DH is cooking a pizza for us, but I'm stuck on a conference call in our home office. I'm starving!!

Tomorrow night I'm thinking of cheese fondue and steak. Anyone had a great recipe for cheese fondue? I think I put too much cheese in it last time.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #400
Stazon Splitcoast

Sam ~ I totally thought of you today! Our wine that we've been waiting nearly 6 months for FINALLY got to us!

So the pizza was pretty good. We only ended up paying $1.87 for 2 large pizzas.