Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thinking of going Gluten and Dairy-Free

It is just a thought as of right now. One son is ASD and I know this kind of diet can possibly help. Our other son may have a milk sensitivity and I have allergies to milk, wheat and tons of other foods, but I have always just lived with it.

I have been looking into it for a while now - recipe books, websites, etc - but I just don't know the best way to start.

Has anyone here done this? How did you change over - slowly, or purge and replace all at once?

Any input, ideas, links will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by shayles; 12-09-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

My stepdaughter (she's 26) has recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and she didn't have a choice (not a good one anyway) but to go dive into the gluten-free diet.

No doubt about it, t's challenging to eat gluten-free, but there are lots of informational resources available.

Start with your local library. There are many gluten-free cookbooks out (more coming out by the day it seems) and getting them from your library will allow you to try before you buy.

I love to bake and I've got most of The Cake Doctor's (Anne Byrn) cake mix baking cookbooks...and she does have a gluten-free baking book...which my stepdaughter has and says is excellent. (it got rave reviews on amazon.com, too) Just yesterday I received The Cake Doctor newsletter and her big news is that her new recipe book - gluten free dinners - will be released in the fall of 2012.

Of course you can do internet searches for gluten-free and dairy-free recipes, too, but you could end up reading "forever."

Good luck to you and your son!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 1/2 years ago. Being Gluten-free has been an adventure. Really I feel so much better, I never had any idea how sick I was. Our house is competely gluten-free and I have a very supportive husband. I'm not dairy free, that would be another challange, but I know many who have done it. Even in the last three years I have seen many changes and there are a lot more options. You will never really see the benefit if you don't just go cold turkey. You may have a period where you feel worse, but give your body a chance to adjust. I had headaches, they called it wheat withdrawl. Jules Gluten-Free has recipe books that are gluten-free and have dairy free options. JulesGlutenFree.com Really you do get used to it and it becomes a way of life. The only time it gets to me is in social gatherings, especially the holidays. The other thing is the sticker shock of the cost of GF items. Hope this information helps. - Sharon
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

I am not totally dairy-free as I still eat cheese, and a little yogurt (in my smoothies). I do consider myself a degree of lactose intolerant. And I did notice a big decrease in my symptoms by stopping milk. I use light plain soy milk, and I don't miss milk at all.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Mad Swapper

My son is also ASD. We tried a Gluten Free-Casein Free Diet. We started slow, the first week eating only breakfast GFCF, the second eating Breakfast and Lunch GFCF, and finally the third week all GFCF. We were Gluten Free-Casein Free (fully) for 2 weeks. The research I did said you had to be GFCF for at least 3 months to give it a fair try (it takes 3 months for the Gluten to truly be out of your system). I didn't work for us, my son, Brenda, is a very picky eater and wasn't eating. And my husband was getting frustrated because I was spending a lot of money on groceries and the children were not eating.

Casein is the protein found in dairy made by cows. This was easier, you can use goat cheese. I still limit the amount of Casein we eat. That seems to help. I also try to substitute rice noodles when I can and limit the amount of bread Brendan eats. Gluten is found is so many products (even soy sauce).

Please don't be discouraged by my story. I think it works for a lot of people. In Brendan's class there are 3 other students who are Gluten Free- Dairy Free and the parents say they feel so much better. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayles View Post
It is just a thought as of right now. One son is ASD and I know this kind of diet can possibly help. Our other son may have a milk sensitivity and I have allergies to milk, wheat and tons of other foods, but I have always just lived with it.

I have been looking into it for a while now - recipe books, websites, etc - but I just don't know the best way to start.

Has anyone here done this? How did you change over - slowly, or purge and replace all at once?

Any input, ideas, links will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Before I went to being gluten free, I had some testing done to see what foods were having a negative effect on my body. The testing is definitely in the range of alternative medicine and uses the acupuncture channels to give you information. BUT it is extremely accurate. It told me which body systems were struggling and which foods I needed to avoid. My daughter directed me that way.

My daughter's family is gluten, dairy, and sugar free. I can have dairy. My granddaughter also cannot have avocados. She is now healthy after 5 years of pain and illness.

If you are on pinterest, there are a lot of people who try great gluten free recipes and share them. Check out my GF board on my pinterest link in my siggy line. I can tell you right now that breads are the biggest struggle for me.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to AZShann

Dr Oz had the blonde from the View on (she was on Survivor) and she has Celiac so started a line and showed people different items you can use. I don't remember all of them, but I know Dove body soap was one that was ok. She also created a line of snacks you can eat. I would look up his show. It was last week that I saw it.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Insane Embellisher

I haven't done it but I have friends who have and they are doing wonderful and the more they learn about it the more tasty their recipes are becoming.

It sounds like it would help you.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm about 90% gluten free. I feel SO much better! I'm not celaic, but more intolerant to gluten. My body does not like large amounts. For years I thought I had IBS. Guess what? No gluten? IBS IS GONE!! I am lactose intolerant, but can eat cheeses and yogurt, as they have enzymes that break down the lactose. Ice cream and milk are still horrible for me. I am intolerant/allergic to soy so I have to be careful with some GF items (many have soy).

There are great gluten free resources out there. My fave is:

Gluten-Free Recipes | Gluten-Free Goddess

She is also vegan. But not all of her recipes are vegan.

I've experimented with some of the store products and found some really good ones! Bob's Red Mill makes some excellent flours. And King Arthur even has a GF version, as does Bisquick. Pamela's baking mix is first rate. My favorite pasta is Tinkyada. I've found a local baked sandwich bread that tastes so real. Toast! I cried the first time I had it! It ain't cheap but freezes beautifully.

Best of luck!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Matboard Maniac

I love the Gluten Free Goddess website...nice recipes. We are mostly GF in my household as OH has celiac and I don't tend to do well with wheat based carbs. Both of us are also lactose intolerant, although to different degrees...he is totally lactose free and I am fine with some kinds of yogurt and some cheese.
When we intially got together I was kind of overwhelmed wondering how I was going to prepare meals that are GF and what we were going to eat. I've since found it is fairly easy once you realize what food aren't GF...that was a huge lesson in itself, I had no idea so many foods have gluten in them.
We switched to 'clean eating' and it is definately much better for your body. It was initally hard to get away from sugar for me...it's funny how your body becomes addicted to it. I did go slow when I switched the sugar and gluten and it seemed good for me. I switched to low lactose fairly quickly once that was pin pointed as one of my problems. Good luck!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

We just decided to go organic, sugar restricted, and gluten free. I'm in shock over the items in my pantry that have gluten in them. I had to go to the closest health food store today to get supplies until I can get to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and nearly had a heart attack at the prices.
I bought Elisabeth Hasselbeck's new cookbook and I'm loving it but my head is also spinning over the changes we need to make. I'm just going through the book and writing down every ingredient the she lists as GF. I figure that'll really cut my first shopping trip time down since I'll know exactly which items to search out.

I'm really hoping that making these changes will help my 8yro daughter. She has JRA and the inflammation has been out of control for the last two months. I really don't like the options available for medication. Plus, I don't want to slap a band aide on the problem and learn to deal with it. I want her HEALTHY! I can't believe that Drs don't get to the heart of the problem, just find a way to minimize the symptoms. If we know what causes them we can make them go away! Grrrr....
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

There are lots of GF foods even in your mainstream supermarket. You just need to know where to look in your particular market. They aren't always in the health food aisle. There are some convenience foods too.

For instance, Chex has several cereals that are GF, if you like cereal. Fritos (no seasonings) are GF as are potato chips and tortilla chips. Bisquick even has a GF version and there are other GF flours, etc. on the market.

Tonight I am making a flourless chocolate cake!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Mad Swapper

Thanks, I'm going about town today to try to find some GF staples. The problem is finding organic fruits and veggies. No one carries more than a handful at any given store, most around here don't carry any. I really despise going to four or five different stores to get what I need, I'm a one stop shopping kinda gal.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, that stinnks. I can't afford organic most of the time, but I do try to buy the dirty dozen organically or locally. I'm in the NorthEast, so most stores have some decent organic choices.

Trader Joes has some GF stuff too - they have cookies, rice krispie treats and carry GF breads/wraps.

There is a strong link with gluten and autoimmune issues like JRA, thyroid, etc.

Van's waffles are prettty good kid food and you can make bread crumbs out of them too!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably going to go to Trader Joe's at the end of the week!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

I cleaned out my pantry today and found some other things for you to think about:

Trader Joe's "kraft mac and cheese" with rice pasta. I am the only mom in the world with two kids who hate mac and cheese, but I like it on occasion!! There is also a brand I saw at the grocery store that is dairy free too. Can't remember the name but it was in the health food aisle and it was ABCs shape.

Ghiardelli peppermint bark chocolate is GF.

Do you have a Costco?

They have a TON of organic foods and meats!!! I get my tortilla chips there and they have great prices on organic chickens/ground turkey. They also have organic veggies/fruits, organic snack foods, organic dairy (I know you're not doing dairy but for others reading the thread). I was really shocked how much they carried!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

So many are trying the gluten free diets without a diagnosis. I had the lab work done, it was normal. But many celiac disease patients have normal labs. You have to have the colon biopsy to be sure. They knew I had IBS at the time, but they did not biopsy. ??

Anyway, my point is-- are many of you really feeling better by going gluten free? How many of you are actually diagnosed? How many of you truly feel a substantial difference?

Perhaps being gluten free helps our digestive symptoms even without being a Celiac Disease patient? If that is the case ... wow...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Hedgie,

I am thinking of getting the DNA test, but it is expensive. With our family history of autoimmune I think it's highly likely we are gluten intolerant.

I do not believe I am a true celiac, but merely intolerant, which is what many IBS patients are. My IBS is GONE since going GF. And if I decide to splurge and have something high in wheat/gluten boy do I pay with digestive issues. For me, that is enough evidence. I am also intolerant to soy. I seem to be OK consuming the minute quantities in the few processed foods that I eat but if I were to drink a glass of soy milk or eat a bowl of pasta, I am in big trouble!

There are some great articles out there that talk a lot about how our wheat is so genetically modified to be high gluten that it doesn't even resemble wheat from 200 years ago. Many of us would be OK with that old/ancient wheat - which you can find the flour online at some ancient grains websites.

There is an amazing book out there - Wheat Belly - which talks about the link between obesity and diabetes and our whole grain eating. We've been eating healthier than ever (well not everyone) but we are still having problems with losing weight and belly fat. What's the reason/link?

Really interesting stuff!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Mad Swapper

Two days of no/minimal gluten and my daughter's in less pain and there's less inflammation. I think I'm gonna go with some kind of gluten/sugar intolerance!

I've come to believe that the doctors just want to shove drugs at us instead of getting to the bottom of the problem. Not once in the past five years has one of the specialists my daughter sees even mentioned finding a reason for the JRA, even knowing that it isn't genetic.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Matboard Maniac

I noticed someone said above that potato chips and tortilla chips are gluten free. Be careful of that. If it has maltodextrin on the label, it is not gluten free. Any kind of flavored chip or tortilla chip usually has maltodextrin in it. Just though you should be aware. I didn't know that regular peanut butter is not gluten free, now I buy natural peanut butter as it is ok.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

Alot of Arbonne's products are gluten free-skincare, shampoo/conditioner and also all of the protein shakes and vitamins are too. I never knew you had to worry about things other than food if you were eliminating gluten. If you want more info just PM me and I can get help you out.

Kim
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStamper79 View Post
I noticed someone said above that potato chips and tortilla chips are gluten free. Be careful of that. If it has maltodextrin on the label, it is not gluten free. Any kind of flavored chip or tortilla chip usually has maltodextrin in it. Just though you should be aware. I didn't know that regular peanut butter is not gluten free, now I buy natural peanut butter as it is ok.
Really? My peanut butter is gluten free. I use Skippy, there's nothing in the ingredients that has gluten in it and I've researched it on the internet.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStamper79 View Post
I was referring to unflavored chips, but maltodextrin does not contain gluten.

Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) - Celiac.com
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
Mad Swapper

I'm glad you posted about maltodextin. I assumed since it has the word MALT in it, it was gluten and was sure I accidentally glutened my DD this weekend with some ice cream at my MILs house.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHeeger View Post
I'm glad you posted about maltodextin. I assumed since it has the word MALT in it, it was gluten and was sure I accidentally glutened my DD this weekend with some ice cream at my MILs house.
Maltodextrin in the US comes from corn (of course). In Europe it may come from wheat so be more vigilent when traveling.

I still try to avoid it because I try to only eat organic corn.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

With your daughter's RA you might want to switch over to almond butter, if she likes it.

Peanuts are full of mold the way they are grown. There are some studies that point to the less severe peanut allergies really being mold allergies.

It's so hard to know what to eat nowadays!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
Mad Swapper

It sure is! I had no idea about the mold. She rarely eats peanut butter though, she prefers Nutella.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #28
Insane Embellisher

If you are thinking about it, whether you have Celiac or not - read Wheat Belly by Dr ? Davis. I had already gone low carb when I read it, and I can honestly say - I will *NEVER* eat wheat again. I stopped 11 days ago, and my spare tire is already deflating.

MY big question is - snacks. I love to cruise and I know I can get wheat free meals, but what do you get for "excursion' snacks? And, how do you cope with hotel breakfast buffets that are ALL carbohydrates?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Mad Swapper

We eat a lot of rice cakes and Glutino products for snackin when I haven't had time to make stuff. We're also eating A LOT more veggies, fruit, yogurt, and cheese!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
Kookie Creator

Default Gluten Free

My Dr. wants me to do 2 weeks GF diet. To see if it helps w/ my IBS.
Where do you start? My weakness is breads!
Any suggestions would be great.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

It might take longer than 2 weeks to notice a difference. I noticed a big difference right around 2 weeks.

I just quit eating bread. You have to make up your mind to do it!

There are some GF breads out there.

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #32
~~Just Jill~~

Hi,

just crusin' thru the forums and the GF caught my eye.

I myself am not GF, but I work with 2 gals that are. The were never diagnosed by their DR's. One even had Gallbladder surgery because they were positive that is what it was. She still had terrible symptoms, Dr just gave up on her. She finally decided to go GF and 'voila' she is symptom free. The other was miserable, stomach problems, lethargy, headaches, general blechness! someone suggested to go GF, she tried it and she says it was a godsend. She hasn't missed a day of work in years.

I have terrible headaches that seem to not respond to anything. Hmmmmm, I wonder. I will have to do some research.

You all have got me thinking now.

and HERE is a good site for GF flours

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Cardstock Collector

You might want to check out the Everyday Paleo and Mark's Daily Apple websites. The Paleo diet is grain, legume and dairy free, Primal Blueprint is a little less restrictive. There are lots of recipes on both sites. I'm about 85% Primal now and I've lost some weight and had the best bloodwork results ever.