Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default The Salmon Thread

Hi All, I'm starting this thread as to not hijack another thread. So here it is...All Salmon, All the time!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Gallery Gazer

I'm here! Tell me all about it! Seriously, I love salmon and have no idea how to buy it and what to do with it!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Default My Salmon Story

Let me say that the first time I ever prepared Salmon, it was right out of the river! The thing was huge almost 50 lbs. We lived in Fairbanks, Alaska. DH and I were newly wed. He brought home this huge dead fish. We had no idea how to cut it up or anything! It was sooo funny. We eventually cut it into steaks and had enough fish for a year. But let me tell you the first steaks we ate that night were delicious!! I added a bunch of seasonings, sliced lemons and wrapped them in foil. Then I grilled them. I don't think they were great because of how I prepared them so much, but more becuse they were so fresh. They never tasted as good after that.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Stampin' Fool

Defiinitely, the fresher the better! Salmon is yummy! People tend to overcook fish. My hubby cooks the fish in our house though, so no worries here. We've cooked it in the oven and we have grilled it also. yummy! Now I want some....

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Old 04-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Catie Send a message via MSN to Catie

This is how I prepare Salmon as I live in the back of the beyond.

Go to Hy-Vee. Buy Gorton's frozen Salmon patties. GO home. Put it in the oven. Set timer. Play on SCS. Get Salmon out of oven. Plop in front of The Amazing Race and eat it.

Not NEARLY as satisfying as your feast Consuelo, but there you have it.

Consuelo has Salmon skills.
Just sayin'
©atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

(anyone else thinking of Fiona from A Cinderella Story?)

Mike makes great salmon burgers! I just eat them, have no clue what he does, but they are yum!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

That's hilarious Catie!

I'm making salmon tonight and I think I'm going to have to add the sliced fresh lemon too!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks consuelo. i should have thought of doing that before i posted my recipe, but here it is for those looking for it:

SALMON IN FOIL
tear off a large peice of tinfoil, spray the foil with cooking oil (ie PAM) where the fish will touch it and lay your salmon on it in the middle; use either butter (the real thing) or olive oil smeared on the inside (about 2 Tbsp); salt & pepper and add your citrus slices. fold the edges of the tinfoil over using a locking seal and pop into the oven or on the bbq. bake 30 - 35 min @ 350F per inch of thinkness (at the thickest part). remove from oven and let rest no longer than 10 min. take out of foil. i just slide it out of the envelope onto a platter. editted to add: come to think of it probably any citrus fruit would be good, i've used oranges too.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmestamper
I'm here! Tell me all about it! Seriously, I love salmon and have no idea how to buy it and what to do with it!
Beth,

It's quite easy. I buy my salmon from Costco and generally it doesn't have many bones. You can add any seasoning you'd like (see other posts as there are some great ideas) and wrap with foil and put it in the oven or in the bar-b-que. I think I tend ot over cook mine though as I 'm paranoid about under cooking it. Does anyone have timing tips?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresrita
thanks consuelo. i should have thought of doing that before i posted my recipe, but here it is for those looking for it:

SALMON IN FOIL
tear off a large peice of tinfoil, spray the foil with cooking oil (ie PAM) where the fish will touch it and lay your salmon on it in the middle; use either butter (the real thing) or olive oil smeared on the inside (about 2 Tbsp); salt & pepper and add your citrus slices. fold the edges of the tinfoil over using a locking seal and pop into the oven or on the bbq. bake 30 - 35 min @ 350F per inch of thinkness (at the thickest part). remove from oven and let rest no longer than 10 min. take out of foil. i just slide it out of the envelope onto a platter. editted to add: come to think of it probably any citrus fruit would be good, i've used oranges too.
Rita,

I didn't read your post close enough. You said 30 - 35 minutes per inch of thickness! Thanks! I didnt' know that you shouldn't let it rest no ore than 10 min either. Good tip!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #11
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jenn - ROLFLMBO!!!! She made salmon GROSS!

Anyway, my DH found an AWESOME spice in Hawaii that we put on our Salmon. It's also good on chicken. I can't remember what it's called. I think he found it on Kauai, it is orange and white. Anyone?

Heheheh.

We just like it with the spice and serve it with sticky rice and veggies. Oh, he cooks it on a grill.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a recipe for poached salmon somewhere. It's very healthy and easy to make. I'll dig it up later when I have the time to type it out.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
SCS Founder

Tracy's dad is a big fisherman so we have salmon and halibut pretty regular. here's one of my favorite (easy) salmon recipes:

http://seafood.allrecipes.com/az/Slm...nSgrndBrbn.asp

the other thing I'll do pretty often is sort of poach it with a combination of whatever liquid sounds good. white wine, butter, orange, lemon or lime juice, or maybe a little soy, a search through the fridge usually determines what it is. in other words, throw the fish in a pan, put your liquid in with it (doesn't need to cover the fish, just needs to be enough to not boil away), whatever seasoning, cover it, not too high of a temperature, and don't ever over cook. guaranteed good.

with halibut it's all about the mango salsa.

I know, I know, I should be fixing something around here. or actually working (novel idea).
Old 04-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Catie Send a message via MSN to Catie

Oooo! Halibut! Mmmm.....forget the salmon! (Sorry Consuelo! )
Just sayin'
©atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
with halibut it's all about the mango salsa.

I know, I know, I should be fixing something around here. or actually working (novel idea).
Dang I'm hungry! Mango salsa? I had some fish at J. Alexander's (my favorite steak place!) with mango salsa at the recommendation of our server, and oooh was it good!

I should be cleaning up the mess I made last night while trying to get my taxes done.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone cooked salmon on the Foreman Grill? if so, how long do you cook it for?
I saw the thing about 30-35 per inch, but I think that seems awfully long for the foreman grill, so I was just wondering if anyone has experience with it.
I never have any clue how long I should let it cook - I just take it off and i just hope I don't make myself sick if it's under cooked.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie
Oooo! Halibut! Mmmm.....forget the salmon! (Sorry Consuelo! )
No, No...I actually LOVE halibut! The reason I was interested in salmon recipes is because it's not my favorite. I was hoping someone would have a great recipe to make it taste better.

BUT, my favorite way to eat halibut is halibut burgers! Yuuuuuummmy!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
The Digi-Freak

har har, haliBUTT. har har har!

not discussing the "s" word. That's gross.

haliBUTT!!! Mommy, Daven said BUTT!!!

Old 04-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

those are all good-sounding recipes! now just to try them without flubbing them up!!

i also take a handfull of dillweed, out of the garden when it's in season, and put that in the cavity with the butter and lemon. yuuuuuummmmm.

and mango salsa is yummy!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

My roommate bought some frozen salmon fillets last week. She's on a fish kick right now. Think I may join her, since frozen fish isn't too pricey and I found a REALLY yummy-looking salmon recipe on kraftfoods.com!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
Gallery Gazer

I just *had* to respond to this thread as my hubby and I were a salmon fisher family for many years before retiring from that dangerous job! When we went to graduate school in Texas, we would bring home two big boxes of frozen salmon and halibut to put in our freezer, then we had to make it last all year long because we couldn't afford to buy them in Texas! They are cheaper here in the great Northwest, I buy mine only FRESH (wild) Alaskan or Copper River salmon, my husband and I won't buy farmed raised, even I can taste the difference! I buy several of them when on sale, Fred Meyer's is the best place in my town, they FILLET it for you for free! If Costco has the wild salmon, I will also buy from them, but then you have to take it home and fillet or steak it yourself! Buy all you need for a year in July and August, take them home and freeze them in family sized portions in a ziplock baggie. Put the salmon in the baggie, cover with cold water to almost cover the piece of fish, squeeze out all the air you possibly can and freeze. Save out a large piece to have fresh that night. Here is my husband favorite recipe right now:

Flame Broiled Cajun Salmon

Salmon fillet (preferably Wild sockeye)
aluminum foil
butter, margarine or olive oil
Cajun blackened seasoning (We like Cajun's choice, or use one without too much salt!)
garlic, minced
grill or open fire

Cut the filet into 2-inch wide by 3 or 4-inch long pieces. Fold aluminum foil into small rectangle, flat-bottom boats to fit the salmon pieces. Melt the butter and pour about 1/2 teasp. on each piece. Liberally sprinkle blackened seasoning on the top of each piece, put garlic on those who like garlic (MY kids like them plain, no seasoning!) Cook at medium heat until just done. Very easy to overcook, so watch carefully!
Serve broken up on top of rice with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (get at Oriental store or Asian specialty part of grocery store!)

I also have a ton of good Halibut recipes, too! Our favorite is to mix 2/3rds sour cream with 1/3 mayonaise, spread on top of Halibut filet, sprinkle with dill and onion, cook until done, yum!

Now I am hungry for some salmon!
Old 04-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #22
Gabfest Goddess

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

I cook the frozen salmon filets from Costco on the foreman grill. 4 minutes. NO LONGER. Overcooked fish is not so good. I just season with Old Bay seasoning. Delicious. The mango salsa is a great idea. I'm gonna try that next time.

I think the Copper River salmon is what we had almost two years ago. It was sooooo GOOD! We now live in Virginia, so don't know when or where we can get it again. We grilled it on a cedar plank. Oh, melt in your mouth delicious! I love salmon and halibut and orange roughy and . . . Fishy Friends for dinner!

Last edited by imastampin; 04-16-2005 at 03:57 AM..
Old 04-16-2005, 04:42 AM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

My earliest memory is of my Grandfather knocking on our door and presenting my mom with a fresh caught salmon that was bigger than me! My mom was so excited that I still remember it--and love salmon to this day! Gonna go shopping and grill me some fish tonight!! YUM!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #24
Insane Embellisher

Smile

My family loves boating, fishing and salmon! Since we live right on Lake Michigan, during the summer my husband and boys (they're crazy for fishing) take the boat out and provide us with enough salmon for the 4 of us and the rest of the neighborhood!

Of course a BIG 20 lb King Salmon from Lake Michigan seems small compared to the 50 lb. one that dncbanks said she got in Alaska - WOW! That is one BIGGGG fish! It must have been about 4 feet long!

There are so many delicious ways to cook salmon. My favorite is to broil them with a little butter, salt, pepper, dill weed and lemon juice. It took me a while to finally realize the lemon juice should go on first - that way it doesn't rinse off the spices - ha!

My brother (another avid fisherman and great cook!), has a terrific recipe where he marinades it in soy sauce, garlic and I forget what else - it is great!

Costco has beautiful salmon filets with a basil butter that is delicious - perfect substitute during the winter when the lake is frozen!

If you aren't crazy about fish, try soaking it in milk for a while - it takes the fishy taste out of it.

Also, when cooking fish, you can test it to see if it "flakes", and salmon should be pink - not transluscent like when it is raw.

I've never had salmon for breakfast but it's sounding pretty good right now!

Mary
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #25
Dirty Dozen Alumni

we do ours on the BBQ! set it on tin foil, smother it with Butter, lemon and onions. its the perfect summer dish.......... any thing my DH BBQ's is great... mainly because its outside! LOL!!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
we do ours on the BBQ! set it on tin foil, smother it with Butter, lemon and onions. its the perfect summer dish.......... any thing my DH BBQ's is great... mainly because its outside! LOL!!
Yum, Lisa! That sounds wonderful.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:45 AM   #27
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via Yahoo to laurakj

When I do my Salmon on the Foreman grill, I only close the top long enough to get the nice grill marks on the fish. I usually just let it cook from the bottom (skin side) up. I don't know how long, but I don't really care for meduim rare fish, so long enough that the fish flakes with a fork. As for seasonings, I just use, salt and pepper. I love salmon!