Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 12-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Forum Fanatic

Default Best Grocery Store for Meat

Okay, I have Winn Dixie in Statesville (35 miles away), Lowes Foods, Food Lion, Bloom, Harris Teeter, and I can find BiLo if I need to. Which has the best meat department. I also have Walmart, but it's not that cold yet. I hate that prepackaged crap. I just don't trust that it will actually be fresh. I also need the "butcher" to cube and grind the meat I'm buying. Anyone know which is best for meat?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 12-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

WHEN we had a winn-dixie, they were the absolute best for meat. I hate hate hate walmart meat and cheese. If I weren't buying prepackaged meat, I'd hunt around to see about independent butchers and meat markets in the area. We have tons down here. I don't have room to store tons of meat, but they always have great deals if you buy lots.
HTH

Becky
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

I would absolutely stay away from WalMart meat...yuck, yuck, and more yuck!! We don't have any of the other stores in the Midwest, so I'm not any help with that!!
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

Do you have a Costco nearby? We have found they have the best meat. Here in N. Virginia, it can take us 30- 45 minutes to get to the closest one. But that is the only place I will buy my meat from, so it is worth the drive to me. Their prices are pretty good too.

Unread 12-22-2005, 05:55 AM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Kymber~

STAY AWAY from Food Lion for meat..(sorry i had to yell it's really bad) They showed on some show how food lion was repricing meat and it was bad meat. like over the expiration date.

Also first hand experience..when we lived in Ohio before i got my real job (heehee) i worked at WinnDixe as a manager. Frequently we would get meat back..well after watching this for a couple of months i realized that the meat manager was repricing his meat to. The would unwrap and re-wrap and tag even adding food color.. I would never buy meat from a Winn Dixie either. YUCKY YUCKY
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #6
Watercolor Wizard

Just wanted to add the best meat we have found was Sams or Costco. costco preferrably. Or if you have a local meat market (check your yellow pages) check them out first, price wise and quality you might be suprised.
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:11 AM   #7
Forum Fanatic

I don't have a Sam's club card and this would be specialty meat and I have to have a butcher. I need some ground and some cubed Sirloin for my kick butt chili. At home our Costco nor our Sam's had a butcher, you just bought what was out and prepackaged.
Unread 12-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I'm lucky to have a nice old fashioned Polish butcher shop nearby; they make and smoke their own kielbasa. I can get anything done there; I've asked for cuts that aren't in the case and they will cut them for me on the spot.

Sam's Club does have good meat; I buy hamburger there and there is never any grease to drain out of the pan after you brown it...I love that! They do have butchers there...you usually have to ring a bell and they will cut things up for you that are already packaged, like a pork loin.

We don't have any of the other chains you mention except Walmart and I don't go there. We've got Kroger, Farmer Jacks, a few independents, and Meijer's.

My blog - Stamps, Paper, Scissors
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink