Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Flashback Fridays (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/flashback-fridays-f125/)
-   -   SBVC40...Faux lace cardstock...8.29.08 (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/flashback-fridays-f125/sbvc40-faux-lace-cardstock-8-29-08-a-t377817.html)

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 04:56 AM

SBVC40...Faux lace cardstock...8.29.08
 
2 Attachment(s)
SBVC40...Faux lace cardstock...8.29.08

I've been asked where I get my ideas and often they are "lifted" BUT this one is "all mine" :mrgreen:; now on to the challenge.

I love the look of the lace cardstock and they keep coming out with more colors and designs, but I don't like the price and sometimes I want something different than I can find - so I decided to make my own.

You need to use simple stamps that work together and have more than thin lines, like the doodle stamps wouldn't be a good option, think more on the chunky type stamps. Alphas, numbers, flowers, pumpkins, fall leaves, stars, snowflakes, paisley, butterflies, circles..... lots of possibilities.

Remember, you can't stamp alphas and numbers on the back or most will be reversed!

The best tip I can give you is "OVERLAP, OVERLAP, OVERLAP" or when you go to cut them out your paper won't be connected! I didn't overlap as much with the numbers as I should have, but it was pretty good for my first one.

So make friends with your craft knife, small scissors will work too.;)


my samples:

in Plain Sight - For the numbered cardstock, I used Versamark and clear embossed on DSP then cut out.


vacation HERE - For the flower cardstock, I stamped on the back with classic ink and cut out. I've attached pictures below to give you an idea of the process, especially if you are a visual person:wink: .



I can't wait to see your ideas!

you can find all submissions for this challenge here: SBVC40

SBC's Information Thread: Everything you need to know to participate!


The OPD (One Page Doc, aka: Master Challenge Thread) that includes all challenges on one page for your printing convenience can be found here: OPD

If you have any questions please feel free to contact any one of the SBCT (scrapbook challenge team)via pm or simply post your question in this thread.

elliesmom 08-29-2008 05:46 AM

Ooh, very nice challenge! You are awesome with that craft knife. I have such a hard time with mine, this would be a great challenge for me to practice :)

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 05:57 AM

thanks Jennie - hope you will give it a try! just do a small piece to get the feel of it.

jluvssu 08-29-2008 07:07 AM

whoa....how awesome is this!! thanks for the pics of the process...i am definitely the visual type who needs that! fingers crossed i find time to play this weekend!
Thanks Peggy!

Salster 08-29-2008 07:13 AM

OMG!!! I have been admiring cards with these card stock pieces and bummed because I'm committed to stick with all SU! on most of my projects going forward. This is a PERFECT way to do it. Peggy you are a genius and since it's going to be a long weekend this is one Variety Challenge I can't skip! :mrgreen:

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jluvssu (Post 11116982)
whoa....how awesome is this!! thanks for the pics of the process...i am definitely the visual type who needs that! fingers crossed i find time to play this weekend!
Thanks Peggy!

thanks Jessica - glad I thought of it then; most of the time I'm in the "zone" of getting to the end product; but I needed a break from the cutting anyway.;)

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salster (Post 11117053)
OMG!!! I have been admiring cards with these card stock pieces and bummed because I'm committed to stick with all SU! on most of my projects going forward. This is a PERFECT way to do it. Peggy you are a genius and since it's going to be a long weekend this is one Variety Challenge I can't skip! :mrgreen:


Thank you Sally!!!

this is a great way to use your SU! stamps, and you can do small pieces as an accent. Hope you get some scrappy time!!!

Scrapbookmonster 08-29-2008 08:19 AM

Peggy---what a FAB challenge!!!! I only recently bought some lace cardstock and I never thought to make my own! You pages turned out awesome (as always). love it! I'll definitely play next week when Rocco is in preschool--3 whole hours to myself each and every afternoon!

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapbookmonster (Post 11117895)
Peggy---what a FAB challenge!!!! I only recently bought some lace cardstock and I never thought to make my own! You pages turned out awesome (as always). love it! I'll definitely play next week when Rocco is in preschool--3 whole hours to myself each and every afternoon!


thanks Kim! can't wait to see what you come up with. I hear you about the free time! DGD is going to preschool in the mornings.;)

wendella247 08-29-2008 09:42 AM

What a fun, cool challenge, Peggy! I would never have though to try and make some of that nice lacy paper. Looks like a lot of work, but so cool! Thanks for another great idea!

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247 (Post 11118564)
What a fun, cool challenge, Peggy! I would never have though to try and make some of that nice lacy paper. Looks like a lot of work, but so cool! Thanks for another great idea!

Thanks Wendy!
I do admit it is some work, but I kept the rest of the page pretty simple. hope you'll give it a try!

wendella247 08-29-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favorite Grandma (Post 11118634)
Thanks Wendy!
I do admit it is some work, but I kept the rest of the page pretty simple. hope you'll give it a try!

I'm definitely going to try it on a small scale. (lol) I really love the idea.

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247 (Post 11118843)
I'm definitely going to try it on a small scale. (lol) I really love the idea.


great - don't want to scare you off!

stampingout 08-29-2008 12:42 PM

WOW, Peggy! This is super creative! I definitley want to try this technique! Thanks for the inspiration! We will see how bloody my page turns out, since I am not very *good* with a craft knife! ;)

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingout (Post 11120472)
WOW, Peggy! This is super creative! I definitley want to try this technique! Thanks for the inspiration! We will see how bloody my page turns out, since I am not very *good* with a craft knife! ;)


thank you Emily! I will admit I haven't used my craft knife in a very long time - best advice, have good lighting and go slow! good luck and I know you can do it.

wendella247 08-29-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favorite Grandma (Post 11120534)
thank you Emily! I will admit I haven't used my craft knife in a very long time - best advice, have good lighting and go slow! good luck and I know you can do it.

I'll be trying my luck with my cutterbee scissors, cuz' I don't go NEAR craft knives due to a hand problem. I did see a gadget like a craft knife at Staples the other day that looked a little easier (and safer) to use that I might buy and try. If it turns out to be any good, I'll share the info!

Favorite Grandma 08-29-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247 (Post 11121122)
I'll be trying my luck with my cutterbee scissors, cuz' I don't go NEAR craft knives due to a hand problem. I did see a gadget like a craft knife at Staples the other day that looked a little easier (and safer) to use that I might buy and try. If it turns out to be any good, I'll share the info!


sounds interesting - let us know how it works!

AmylovesNormaJean 08-29-2008 02:10 PM

Wow! Now this is an interesting challenge. I'm terrible with a craft knife. But thanks so much for the visuals because I had no idea what you were talking about or what lace CS was. I never heard of it before. I'll give it a try though...probably a week from now, as always. I'm always behind.

Becky in NC 08-30-2008 02:56 AM

I was just telling my stepmom the other day how I love that wide die cut felt ribbon, but it is so expensive. This is so cool. I also thought of something that could reduce the time. I noticed that Peggy ended up covering up about half of her beautiful lace. If you could estimate where your photos would be overlapping, you could save yourself some cutting.

Favorite Grandma 08-30-2008 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmylovesNormaJean (Post 11121400)
Wow! Now this is an interesting challenge. I'm terrible with a craft knife. But thanks so much for the visuals because I had no idea what you were talking about or what lace CS was. I never heard of it before. I'll give it a try though...probably a week from now, as always. I'm always behind.


now I'm really glad I thought of taking the pictures ;) hope you will try it.

Favorite Grandma 08-30-2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky in NC (Post 11126873)
I was just telling my stepmom the other day how I love that wide die cut felt ribbon, but it is so expensive. This is so cool. I also thought of something that could reduce the time. I noticed that Peggy ended up covering up about half of her beautiful lace. If you could estimate where your photos would be overlapping, you could save yourself some cutting.


you are correct Becky - if you could "peek" under my pictures you'd see lots of uncut places.

barbfarmd 08-30-2008 04:09 AM

What a neat idea, Peggy! I usually shy away from anything using the craft knife but you have again inspired me... thanks :)!!

Favorite Grandma 08-30-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbfarmd (Post 11127059)
What a neat idea, Peggy! I usually shy away from anything using the craft knife but you have again inspired me... thanks :)!!


thanks and I am so glad! hope to see you give it a try.

Goegirl 08-30-2008 04:15 PM

GREAT idea, Peggy!!! This would make a fabulous inkling technique!!!!

Favorite Grandma 08-30-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goegirl (Post 11132595)
GREAT idea, Peggy!!! This would make a fabulous inkling technique!!!!


thank you Kirsten!

keltika3 08-31-2008 04:31 AM

this is such a fabulous challenge! I love your examples and very much appreciate the step by step photos. Your creativity has no limits! I hope to get a chance to play.

Favorite Grandma 08-31-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keltika3 (Post 11136370)
this is such a fabulous challenge! I love your examples and very much appreciate the step by step photos. Your creativity has no limits! I hope to get a chance to play.


thank you Krystal - hope you get a chance to join in too!

Luv2Smile 08-31-2008 02:57 PM

I have to admit that when saw 'lace'; instantly thought it would be vintage which is not a bad thing but I don't have any photos ever relating to vintage/lace. Sooooo, when saw your page example love how the 'lace' is a more modern look. Another great challenge!

Favorite Grandma 09-01-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2Smile (Post 11140714)
I have to admit that when saw 'lace'; instantly thought it would be vintage which is not a bad thing but I don't have any photos ever relating to vintage/lace. Sooooo, when saw your page example love how the 'lace' is a more modern look. Another great challenge!


mmm.....Patty, I hadn't even thought about it being vintage, but that would be a cool take on a piece of this, maybe done on Kraft CS and inked. hope you'll give it a try!

princessp1971 09-01-2008 08:13 AM

I've only done one scrapbook challenge but I think I will try this one. May take me awhile but I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck!

stamptician 09-01-2008 08:59 AM

Wow, this is a really cool technique you've come up with. Love it.

Scrapbookmonster 09-01-2008 10:00 AM

I did your challenge peggy! It took awhile to cut all this but I love how it turned out!

Berries

Favorite Grandma 09-01-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessp1971 (Post 11147620)
I've only done one scrapbook challenge but I think I will try this one. May take me awhile but I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck!



welcome to the scrapbook challenges! hope you'll give it a try

Favorite Grandma 09-01-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamptician (Post 11148083)
Wow, this is a really cool technique you've come up with. Love it.


thanks!

Favorite Grandma 09-01-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapbookmonster (Post 11148690)
I did your challenge peggy! It took awhile to cut all this but I love how it turned out!

Berries


this is adorable Kim!!!

wendella247 09-02-2008 01:28 PM

Well, I hate to say so, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do this challenge! I tried and failed horribly. I have a problem with my right hand that prevents me from being able to cut in small, intricate spaces. I do fine with cutting any outside lines, but the small inner stuff is impossible for me to do. I did try though! I can't use an exacto knife at all, so I was using cutterbee scissors, but--no good! After that, I went out and bought the tool at Staples that I had said I was going to check out--but that wasn't any good for me either. It's called a Precision Cutter made by 3M (Scotch brand) in a green package--it's more like a lighter weight pen and has a ceramic micro tip. It's touted as being safer to work with--but due to my particular hand issue, it's not right for me either. It might be worth checking into by others, though, if they don't like the metal exacto knives. It's located here, if you want to see what it looks like. (It's the 4th item down--not the first one.)

So, Peggy--I'm sorry I couldn't do this week's cool challenge. It really is a great idea!

Favorite Grandma 09-02-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247 (Post 11161750)
Well, I hate to say so, but I'm afraid I won't be able to do this challenge! I tried and failed horribly. I have a problem with my right hand that prevents me from being able to cut in small, intricate spaces. I do fine with cutting any outside lines, but the small inner stuff is impossible for me to do. I did try though! I can't use an exacto knife at all, so I was using cutterbee scissors, but--no good! After that, I went out and bought the tool at Staples that I had said I was going to check out--but that wasn't any good for me either. It's called a Precision Cutter made by 3M (Scotch brand) in a green package--it's more like a lighter weight pen and has a ceramic micro tip. It's touted as being safer to work with--but due to my particular hand issue, it's not right for me either. It might be worth checking into by others, though, if they don't like the metal exacto knives. It's located here, if you want to see what it looks like. (It's the 4th item down--not the first one.)

So, Peggy--I'm sorry I couldn't do this week's cool challenge. It really is a great idea!

thank you for giving it a try Wendy and for the information on that cutter, it looks like something to check out!

AmylovesNormaJean 09-03-2008 05:21 AM

I laughed my head off when I read Wendellas post this morning. I too tried this challenge last night and failed miserably. I just can't use a craft knife, so I tried scissors, and was half way thru my project when I realized, it just looked horrible and was not worth continuing on. Can we just BUY the lace cardstock and make a page with it? Somethings really are worth the money. The only problem is, I've never seen it in the stores, does anyone know an online place to pick it up?

Favorite Grandma 09-03-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmylovesNormaJean (Post 11168726)
I laughed my head off when I read Wendellas post this morning. I too tried this challenge last night and failed miserably. I just can't use a craft knife, so I tried scissors, and was half way thru my project when I realized, it just looked horrible and was not worth continuing on. Can we just BUY the lace cardstock and make a page with it? Somethings really are worth the money. The only problem is, I've never seen it in the stores, does anyone know an online place to pick it up?

so sorry this didn't work for you.

I have purchased items from this place and Lauri (owner) is the best! I highly recommend it.
http://www.qbaroo.com/scrapattackscrapbooking/

search on lace cardstock and you will get what she carries.

wendella247 09-03-2008 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmylovesNormaJean (Post 11168726)
I laughed my head off when I read Wendellas post this morning. I too tried this challenge last night and failed miserably. I just can't use a craft knife, so I tried scissors, and was half way thru my project when I realized, it just looked horrible and was not worth continuing on. Can we just BUY the lace cardstock and make a page with it? Somethings really are worth the money. The only problem is, I've never seen it in the stores, does anyone know an online place to pick it up?


Hey, glad I'm not the only one with exacto issues! :) :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:08 PM.