Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Crimping Master

Default what does your 10-13 year old boy want for christmas?

I have an 11 year old son that I am struggling to find something for for Christmas. He has given me a list of some stuff but I doesn't have anything to "play" with on it. Normally I would say that he is just growing up but the difference is that I have a gut feeling this will not be a good thing on Christmas morning. Please don't try to convince me that I am wrong on this as that is not what I am asking for. I am just wanting to hear what other boys are wanting and/or getting. In a nut shell, he is the middle boy in a family of three boys and one girl and he has a very strong dominant personality. His younger brother is quiet and likes his own space (just like his dad) and he is getting legos and other toys. I really feel that, if we stuck just to the things on the older ones wish list (namely camping gear) that he will over take his younger brothers toys on Christmas day. Yes, I know I can, and I will, put a stop to it, but I also don't want to spend all day having this fight. I am also looking for ideas other then video games.

So, any ideas?

Thanks!
Jodi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

My 12 year old is still asking for at least one LEGO set. Does he have a favorite TV series or movie trilogy - there are lots of books related to these themes (that keep my boys occupied for hours!). A guitar? Sudoko book or electronic Sudoko thingy? A comic strip anthology book?

Ask your other children if they can think of anything that he might like to play with. (whether they give it to him or Santa gives it to him doesn't matter)

Kathy
Old 12-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Crimping Master

We got him The Dangerous Book for Boys so that should keep him a bit busy. We live on 5 acres so I think the book will be even more fun for him too. I am waffling on Legos because my kids have always been lego freaks!!! But they have so many and I don't know if he is over it all by now or not. I will probably opt for some of those but I keep hoping that there is something else out there. He also has a guitar already.

Keep the ideas coming all are great and I am sure I am not the only one that may be at a loss.

Oh, my husband is going to look at Home Depot and see about some wood working stuff as he has recently taken an interest in that. Granted it isn't a toy but at least it is something he can start "doing" on Christmas day which is my real goal.

Thanks again!
Jodi

Last edited by scoutpup; 12-01-2007 at 05:06 PM..
Old 12-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

i don't have any boys and there are only 2 boy cousins in our family, so this is probably going to be lame. but what about a NEW football or basketball. sometimes even if they already have something, getting a NEW one totally re-inspires the *fun*! plus, especially if you have a basketball goal/net, it never hurts to have 2 basketballs available! that's my lame idea....something new to replace an old thing!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Matboard Maniac

Our grandson is 10 and he has asked for anything related to drums (he is a drummer on a youth worship team at church), a game for his PS2, and baseball and/or football cards. He doesn't have a large list this year, and as he gets older it gets harder to buy for him. He loves anything we get him, but we like to try and find things he really wants. Oh, and he asked for an electric guitar. Obviously we won't be getting him one of those!!! He got his first drum set at age 3 - and now an electric guitar? He loves music.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
8 Cow Woman

My oldest DS is turning 13 year this year. He like models (cars, Star Wars things--stuff he can build), Bionicles, Magnetix, books, Star Wars stuff, video games.

You could do an MP3 player too, cd player for his room, new cd's.

Does he have a favorite sports team? You could do something from that maybe.

It's a really hard age/sex to buy for. He drives me nuts......*sigh*
Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Glitter Guru

What about something like this:

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Mad Swapper

My middle son is 13 and he wants an Ipod nano, new cell phone, Brady Quinn Jersey, lots of clothes from American Eagle and Hollister, and Xbox 360 games. They get more expensive as they get older!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Forum Fanatic

Mine wants a PSP, but if you were looking for something smaller, mine would also love something wrestling related (ugh). He has a wrestling ring and some "guys" to use with it.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

OH! Someone mentioned Magnetix....my 14 & 12 yr old DSs still love our GeoMags. And we have something KNex, too, that will keep them busy for an entire afternoon.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

My ds also loves Magnetics, Bionicles, and Knex. I think it must be the whole building & creating concept.

He's been wanting and Ipod really bad so I think we'll be getting this for him along with some Itune cards. You mentioned your son like camping. Well and Ipod might be good because he can take it on his trips.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Stampin' Fool

My DS is now almost 16 now, but when he was 11 0r 12 we got him his own Black and Decker tool set complete with cordless drill. It was a 'Black Friday' deal at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Well, he also go video games, etc..but he spent most of Christmas Day with his tool set. He hung pictures in his room, fixed doorknobs and fixed the latch on the gate in our yard that my DH had been "meaning to get to" for months. He LOVED that tool set and puts it to great use.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to gamblemom

My 12 yo is asking for an Mp3 player and games for the XBOX 360 and for the computer. I think he has Spiderman 3 DVD on his list too. I think I am going to tell his Uncle that is also his godfather to get him the Skullcandy earplugs for the MP3 player......they are supposed to be really cool. He said the only toy e sorta wanted was some RC car that is all terrain, wish I knew the name of it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher

Knex is a great idea, if he enjoys legos!

One year my mom bought a Ferris Wheel Knex set and that kept all the boys (teen-adult boys!!!) busy during Christmas Eve/Day. That was such a hit, that the following year she bought a roller coaster set.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Paintball is popular with the older kids around me ... if you're not quite ready for that (or don't have a Paintball arena near you or land to play it on) how about a Laser Tag or Velcro Nerf Tag set?

MP3 player (doesn't HAVE to be an Ipod)

Electronic Dart Board

Cosmic Catch (cooler version of Hot Potato basically)

If you guys have never played "20 Q" I HIGHLY recommend you get it for him. It is SO much fun and addicting and EVERYbody loves to play it!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Biddles View Post
My DS is now almost 16 now, but when he was 11 0r 12 we got him his own Black and Decker tool set complete with cordless drill. It was a 'Black Friday' deal at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Well, he also go video games, etc..but he spent most of Christmas Day with his tool set. He hung pictures in his room, fixed doorknobs and fixed the latch on the gate in our yard that my DH had been "meaning to get to" for months. He LOVED that tool set and puts it to great use.
This is great! I wish it worked on husbands...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
Inking Addict

movies, k'nex were a huge hit for my son at that age. e ven at 14 he enjoys doing that with his younger siblings. books, music, ipod and tunes card, cd player. when g was a year or so older, he wanted a bow and arrow and since we have land, we got him that.

dd is 11 and she has music and cd's on her list, but also my little pet shops.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

My 11yr old DS is asking for an iPod.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
Crimping Master

all these ideas are great!! I neglected to say that I am looking to buy for 2 different households, too. On Christmas eve we go to my inlaws and since they have a hard time getting around now and also feel clueless about the needs and wants of modern teens and preteens, they just give us money and we order stuff for that amount, have it shipped to them for them to wrap and present to the kids on christmas eve. They also do this with my nieces and nephew and we are all at their house together.

Ok, so here is where is stands at this point. I think I am going to go ahead with a lego set from my inlaws or maybe a knex. He already has an mp3 player. I am also thinking of a thing called a zoingo boingo or something like that. It is along the lines of a pogo stick and since my 8 yo is going to be getting one of those we thought they may take turns and can play together with the. I am also thinking of the cosmic catch game or something simiar.

We only spend $100 per kid plus the $75 that my inlaws give us so I am trying to get the most bang out of it. It is really hard but my kids never go with out anything. His bday is also right around the corner at the begining of February so all the ideas are helping with that too.
Thank you all for all the help!
Jodi
PS Does anyone know where to get a really really cheap mp3 player for an 8 year old who thinks his world is going to end because he is the only one in a family of 6 that doesn't have one??
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
Matboard Maniac

My ds9 is getting an iPod Shuffle from my parents because they got it free, but I was looking at Target and they have several inexpensive other mp3 brands. From Mom & Dad, my son is getting a digital camera -- again, an off-brand. I figure if he takes good care of it, I'll give him my old camera to use when he's older and I replace it with a newer model for me. We also got him the Dangerous Book for Boys; I think he'll love it.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #21
Crimping Master

Oh and I want to add that I am going to make each of them a marshmallow gun and give them each a bag of mini marshmallows. The gun only run a couple of dollars and are easy to make. We live out in the country so they can have a blast with these things I am sure! http://familycapers.com/Projects/Mar...lowShooter.pdf
Old 12-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
Stampin' Fool

I feel for you. I never know what to get DS #2 for birthday or Christmas, he just turned 9. This year he is getting a kareoke (sp?) machine with some CDs. He got a Nintendo DS for his birthday. Last year when other DS turned 9 he got a metal detector, he LOVES it. That and a little garden shovel he could be busy for hours. (I didn't see where you are to see if it's too cold.) Both of my boys also love to get science kits. Target has some and so does Toys R Us, also you can get them at Discoverytoys.com. Good luck with this.

L
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Amazon.com sells some inexpensive MP3 players ... that's where I got one for my 7 year old. It was around $30 bucks.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #24
Glitter Guru

I am in the same boat 10 & 6 yo boys. Definately get the lego set. My older one loves the challenge of putting them together. He is moving away from action figures but loves sports- so I am getting them each a Red Sox Bobble head doll.

I would also get a new video game.

As for the camping gear get him stuff he can play with a bit, compass, head lamp, snow shoes (if you have snow).

It is really a tough age for boys.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
Cardstock Collector

my son asked for the Iphone(which hes not getting) And a paintball gun if that helps and a remote control helicopter
Old 12-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #26
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup View Post
Oh and I want to add that I am going to make each of them a marshmallow gun and give them each a bag of mini marshmallows. The gun only run a couple of dollars and are easy to make. We live out in the country so they can have a blast with these things I am sure! http://familycapers.com/Projects/Mar...lowShooter.pdf

I had enough left over pvc pipe to make three or four extra guns. My neighbor was overjoyed when I sent them home with her kids, plus plenty of marshmallow ammunition.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #27
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to hedonist19

I like the Star Wars Lego sets...you can get them at all different price and age points and Amazon.com has the best prices. Also, NERF guns (may not be so good if your son is dominant, but it does get them outside).... maybe model cars? Or remote control cars? or model train?
If you have time, browse Amazon for inspiration!
Good luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #28
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup View Post
I got my two DS's 10 and 13 the marshmallow guns---should be funny!
My 13 YO just wants expensive things, so we have to tone him down sometimes...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
Cardstock Collector

Smile the saint

hi everybody i am a boy, i am 13 years old this is Wat i recommend buying for your son
-xbox + xbox live
-laptop
-ipod touch
-iphone
-no ps3 they are rubbish
-any mobile
-motorbike
i am saying this because i have all of it
PS don't buy your son the hole list obviously
Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

My son is 14 1/2 already, but he was never really into LEGOS at all... He loved the computer games (football related), a new football. But do you think about a small camera? It must not be a very expensive one, but my son always loved taking pics and to make small films with it on the computer. A small camera can entertain the whole family (because we all were hiding at one point!) *lol* One year he got a new bike.

With love, Nessie
Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 AM   #31
Die Cut Diva

I hear you about the not wanting to fight about it all day.

We have three boys 11-13 we I'm in the same boat.

Here's a few ideas:

Bionicles made by Lego, they have specific ones they want.

A Lego castle king chariot.

The complete set of Harry Potter books.

A digital watch.

A book about their special interest, one of my sons (11) is VERY into animals. Last year my sil gave him an animal encyclopedia. He still reads it almost every day.

If you like to play games as a family we love Uno Flash. We have 2 Uno versions, but this one is a ton of fun.

A family gift could be a ping pong table. My 13 year old would rather play ping pong than anything else right now.

Now they are into building and launching model rockets.

I found some cool different stilts at a thrift shop and all three of my boys love them. They're challenging but not too hard to walk with. So far no injuries too. Here's a link:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3316416

And one more thing, I got a magnetic penny stacking kit for my 13 year old. He doesn't have much homework and gets bored so I'm hoping he can do it on his own.
http://www.youngexplorers.com/itemdy...PageNo=1&pos=2

Good luck. They kind of outgrow toys, but don't want clothes at this age.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #32
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a 10 year old with a long list. He has an ipod and a ds already, he really wants a new ds. He also wants an air hockey table.

How about those stacks cups, my son loves to make towers. He loves the books Encyclopedia of Immaturity, he is getting vol 2 this year. He wants ucreate, some music thing, tech deck skateboards, nerf gun, board games, the list goes on

If you play games, we just got the new monopoly with the trophy. It is fun, you can set a time limit and then use the score sheets to see who won.

He has a marshmallow shooter, they made them at Cub Scouts last year. This year he wants a marshmallow bow and arrow set, he is hoping to sell enough popcorn to get one.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #33
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I just ordered one of those penny kits, thanks for the idea
Old 11-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #34
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Remote control helicopters.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #35
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Bakugan & cheap mp3 players

My son is 11 & all is has asked for is Bakugans. He got some for his birthday in Sept & likes them. He got a case & has actually kept them all in the case w/out being told (major shocker here). Oh & a cell phone........which isn't happening

For the person that asked about a cheap mp3 player. I say the younger they are the cheaper you go. My son broke his first one by stepping on it (floorboard of car). He bought a new one & used it twice & we can't find it at all now. I paid 29.99 for it at Staples & they had a Staples easy rebates of $20 on it so it was only 9.99. I'm thinking about getting him another one for Christmas & if we find the first one by some chance then we'll just have a spare to leave in the car. I don't think we are going to find it though I've searched the car & the whole house from top to bottom.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #36
Crimping Master

Send a message via Yahoo to cletracloversgirl

My 10 yo wants RC trucks... both real big and extra tiny..he is am extremist?! lol
Are ya sitting down?...My 13 yo wants tractor tires for his John Deere 112...the ag kind..they will look like the big tractor tires.HE wants to plow with it with aa bunch of friends in the spring...Another extremist...They alwas enjoy clothes and cologne...HTH! Taishea
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

My 9 year old (going on 16) wants:

A baseball bat autographed by his fave MLB player (he's REALLY into baseball)
A Cell phone (NOT happening)
An iPod touch (also NOT happening)
Shirts from Abercrombie & Fitch (I found some on clearance online for around $20)
Legos
Wii Games
Cologne
A new bike (already got it )
Laptop (not happening this Christmas)
Digital Camera (undecided on this one)

Hope that helps!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #38
Cardstock Collector

Default EXPERT OPINION

I am 15 and my little brother is 12. A perfect gift really depends on what your child is interested in. I live in the south and we love shooting, playing sports, outdoors...so it can depend on where you are.

Best gifts: (10 year olds) legos, kinex, airsoft gun (depends on whether or not you have time to supervise), hotwheels (always were fun if you have the tracks to use too), a cell phone (This is about the time where kids start having the desire for a phone. In 5th or 6th grades, a cheap cell phone is a nice gift)

Best gifts: (older; 12 or 13) ipod nano (my brother and I have always loves ipods and they are going down in price now), I'm a country boy so we really love bb guns or even a cheap compound bow, paintball gun (my brother and I have been in love with paintball or a couple years now), video games (If your child does not have an xbox 360, it is really fun and with kinect you can have a lot of fun playing it with your child), clothes (despite what you think of your child, we do like "looking cool". My favorite brands are American Eagle, Aeropostale (good sale prices), and hollister. A clothing store gift card is a great gift.)

Yep, that's about it
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #39
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

WOW! Just realized how old this thread is ;-p

I know this is last minute but my 13yo son wants Legos....that's all he ever wants. This year he also asked for some clothes...but that's only because he went through a growth spurt and all but one pair of his pants are too short.

But otherwise it's:

Legos ummm....
LEGOS and umm...oh yeah,
LEGOS

MY JEWELRY: http://www.creativeeclectica.com/

210(200)(189) and counting...DOWN

Last edited by beaddict; 12-22-2011 at 02:50 PM..
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #40
Pearl-ExPert

I find it very peculiar that there would be children/youth with SCS accounts posting their opinions on a stamping website (posts 29 & 39). Does this not seem odd to anyone else??