Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default UPDATE - Dogs and knee surgery - torn ligament....

Just wanted to update you about Tanner. He saw the surgeon today and he is scheduled for surgery on August 29th. As all fur baby lovers know, our pets are our family. He is so precious. Unfortunately I learned that he has arthritis in both knees and he has hip dysplasia, which he has probably had since he was young, the vet said it was genetic.

The vet said we really need to keep him quiet, no running to the door if the door bell goes, no walks, since his other knee has severe arthritis, the vet is worried that he could blow the knee if he is too active. Very hard to tell an active lab.

Thanks for all your comments/feedback/suggestions. The procedure will cost over $3,600 here in Canada. I've checked around, even at the University and it's the same price.

I will keep you posted.

Karen

Hi everyone...

My chocolate lab needs surgery. He is seven and has torn the ligament in his knee. He is in very good health, excellent weight and is very active.

I took him to the Vet's yesterday and since he is in good health, they recommend the surgery. If he was older - like 12, they would suggest putting him down. They are referring us to to two surgeon's for different opinions.

Of course I started to cry. Tanner is a big part of our family and I just love him so much. I don't want to see him suffer but he is so full of life.

Has anyone ever gone through this with their dog?

The hardest part is trying to keep him occupied. He loves to play fetch and now he can't. He can't even go for walks. If he is a candidate for surgery, we're not sure when it would be and then he needs three months to recover.

Just hoping to hear from someone else and if they have had this experience.

Thanks,
Karen

Last edited by simvan; 08-02-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Update
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

Hi...sorry to hear about Tanner.I know how hard it is to keep Labs quiet lol!!The Lab in my avvie has been on rest for the last 3 months.He has Bilateral hip and Bilateral elbow dysplasia He chased a squirrel and could'nt stop untill he ran into the garden shed so has a very swollen shoulder.Just want to wish you Good Luck when you see the surgeons
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Default hurting for you...

I hope this will help you..... in 1993 (I know, a LONG time ago) we had a two year old westie who had patellar subluxation (her knee kept popping out of the knee cap. The surgery was a total knee replacement for a dog. My husband had just returned to work after two years of layoff, we had three young children, and I was working full time as a nurse. This was a tremendous decision for us because there was no guarentee it would work, it cost what I took home for three weeks work, and we had to keep a westie quiet for 8 weeks after. A westie is a ball of energy, like a lab only FASTER. We had the surgery, we took turns laying on an air mattress holding the dog any time she was not in the indoor kennel, and we carried her up and down the steps to go out to potty. It was the right choice for us. She lived to be 14 and we eventually forgot which knee was fixed because the outcome was so good. My kids learned alot about empathy and caring for an animal. I miss her even today. I hope you can come to grips with a decision.... whatever you decide will be right.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperstroker View Post
Hi...sorry to hear about Tanner.I know how hard it is to keep Labs quiet lol!!The Lab in my avvie has been on rest for the last 3 months.He has Bilateral hip and Bilateral elbow dysplasia He chased a squirrel and could'nt stop untill he ran into the garden shed so has a very swollen shoulder.Just want to wish you Good Luck when you see the surgeons
Your poor four baby!!!!!!! He looks adorable. How have you been able to keep him on rest for that long? I could see my dog running after the squirrel too...funny to see but not the injury. Hope he is better!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemom View Post
I hope this will help you..... in 1993 (I know, a LONG time ago) we had a two year old westie who had patellar subluxation (her knee kept popping out of the knee cap. The surgery was a total knee replacement for a dog. My husband had just returned to work after two years of layoff, we had three young children, and I was working full time as a nurse. This was a tremendous decision for us because there was no guarentee it would work, it cost what I took home for three weeks work, and we had to keep a westie quiet for 8 weeks after. A westie is a ball of energy, like a lab only FASTER. We had the surgery, we took turns laying on an air mattress holding the dog any time she was not in the indoor kennel, and we carried her up and down the steps to go out to potty. It was the right choice for us. She lived to be 14 and we eventually forgot which knee was fixed because the outcome was so good. My kids learned alot about empathy and caring for an animal. I miss her even today. I hope you can come to grips with a decision.... whatever you decide will be right.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. The vest said it would cost between three to five thousand dollars. I know some people think I'm crazy, I don't think my husband is thrilled but my fur baby is just that, a big baby, who has brought a lot of love into our lives. If he was older, it would be different but since he is young and in good health I want him to have the surgery if he can.

I just have no idea how to keep him rested. It's been a tough weekend, he looks at me with his big brown eyes as he wants to play fetch. He cries or barks.

It sounds like your Westie lived a good life after, I know how much love and joy she brought all of you. It's very difficult losing a pet, their are so much a part of the family. I miss my lost fur babies too.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Simvan...yes Dylan is better Thank you.We have been for a picnic in the forest today but he will only walk for about 15 minutes.I think we are lucky because even though he is from a working pedigree he is lazy now lol!!It was very difficult when he was younger but even now at nearly 9 he fly's through the air if he sees the mail man or someone who should not be near his property .Many people in the UK cage them to help them rest..not something I have ever done with any of my boys.I have just tried to keep them as quiet as possible and just keep them on a lead when they go out into the garden.Hope everything goes ok.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

My dog had the equivalent of a torn ACL and surgery to repair the middle of June. She will be 12 in September. The vet gave us the option to repair it surgically or treat it non-surgically due to her age. There is nothing else wrong with her and she still thinks she is a puppy at times. Fortunately our vet was able to do the surgery. She had surgery Thursday afternoon and we were able to bring her home on Saturday, after getting the diagnosis on Tuesday. So far the recovery process has been ok. Only in the last few weeks has she seemed to have "cabin fever" since she is restricted on activity and confined to a limited space in the house.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

I was just at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (largest no-kill sanctuary in the US!) and volunteered for a day. I spent the morning at Old Town with their senior and special needs dogs. Some of the dogs had mobility issues that meant they were slow walkers, or could only do short distances. They all seemed happy to hang out with each other, scarf their food, and get outside for a bit. One dog had some sort of injury where she couldn't use her back legs at all. They loaded her into a little wagon with wood sides (like you see parents put their toddlers in to go to the zoo) and took her out on a walk just like the other dogs for some fresh air and routine. It honestly almost made me cry to see this dog go for a ride in the wagon, being walked by a young volunteer pulling the wagon, flanked by an elderly widower volunteer with a bad leg of his own.

I think if an animal isn't clearly in pain, it's worth offering whatever help we can to make their lives as happy and healthy as possible. You might be able to entertain your dog on bedrest with some new toys that don't require fetching (thinking of Kongs with peanut butter, ice blocks with a toy or treat inside) or do frequent groomings, more car rides, wagon walks, possible dog play dates limited to a small room, sitting on the floor with the dog while you watch TV/read/scrap so they get some attention, etc. Best of luck!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

We had two, yes count them, two dogs that had this problem within a year of each other. We had the surgery for both. One was an older girl of 13 and the other was about 4 and an active handful to say the least. Right after the surgery it was easier since they were medicated and slept a lot. After a week or so the pain medication was reduced so they could feel the pain a little more. It made them more careful. The whole time they were recovering we kept them crated at night and when we were not home. They were on a leash when we were home and for their short trips to the backyard. We also had to keep them off anything they might jump off and no stairs. When they are ready for their physical therapy (walks that gradually lenghtened), we did not leash them in the house anymore. They each did fine and were fully recovered and back to normal in about 3 months total. Definitely worth it.

Last edited by JGlenn827; 07-24-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Crimping Master

Many thanks to all of you for sharing and caring!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the feedback, comments and suggestions.

Tanner is seeing the surgeon next week for a consultation. We've managed to keep him happy with some new toys and little walks in the yard. We all know how much our fur babies mean to us, thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

My cocker spaniel, who is about 8 or 9 (a rescue so we dont know for sure), a torn ACL and surgery to repair it last Sept. He is not a real active dog which is a real advantage in recovery. The vet walked him out when I went to pick him up! He was kind of walking sideways but was fine. It wasnt terribly hard to keep him quiet. I did some rehab exercises they showed me but couldnt afford the water exercises for him. He is fine now and is just showing routine age slow downs. Good luck. It was less than $3000, not $5.