Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default Is there a cure for low energy level and feeling tired all the time?

Iíve had a very low energy level and have suffered from depression since I was a teenager (Iím now in my forties). I also feel tired all the time and suffer from anxiety, poor concentration, forgetfulness and sleep problems.

I recently had a very detailed health assessment and was pleased to find out that the results were excellent. However, I felt disappointed because the doctor couldnít find a physical cause for the low energy level and tiredness, and said these were consequences of my depression. She advised me to take antidepressants, but Iím very much against them (Iíve taken them before and donít want to go there again). Iíve been into therapy and counselling (on and off) in the past, but the depression is still there.

What would you advise me to do please? Thanks in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

Are you getting enough B vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids/DHA? And enough sun exposure and/or vitamin D? Enough fruits, veggies, water? Exercising regularly?
If yes, then maybe try some herbal remedies before turning to anti-depressants...such as St. John's Wort or 5HTP.

What kinds of tests did the doctor do? Did he check thyroid function? Vitamin B12 levels?

Sorry you've been feeling so poorly for so long.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Regular exercise over time can help all three - low energy, fatigue, and depression. The trick is to find an activity and routine you can stick to, then doing it with discipline. If it's going to help you, it may be a 3-6 weeks before you start feeling a difference.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

It's amazing what 5-10 min of outside sunlight every few days can do for you and it's a way to get the Vit. D that helps with energy. If you only want to be outside for the 5-10 min and not much longer then go out during the peek hours (10 am to 3:00 pm) w/o suncreen. I was told that if you are out during that time period for a SHORT period of time that your skin will not be worse for wear for leaving the sunscreen off. Now, if you plan on be out there for longer than 10 min then of course put on suncreen. I am no expert, but I have been reading up on this and have tried it myself and found that it really does help. Excercising helps lots too

I have heard that there is a test called 25-OH vitamin B blood test.

Hope you feel beeter soon.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Honestly, I would see an ENT doctor and have a sleep test done.

Be checked for sleep apnea and go from there. It was the best thing I ever did.

I had surgery about a year and a half ago and it has made such a difference in how I feel!!

Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I would advise treatment for the depression. Depression is as much as a disease as a low thyroid so your doctor did diagnose you with a disease. Do whatever works for you.

It could be one or more of the following --

medications (there are many)
counseling
exercise
getting sun
reading the Feeling Good workbook by David Burns, MD and doing the exercises (paper and pen)
keeping a journal
keeping as active as possible, in steps.

Sitting home, especially by yourself, with little or no activity, breeds the depression like warm weather breeds bacteria.

You have to force yourself out of the house and around people, even if it is 15 minutes a day at first. If you already are out of the house, then ignore this part!

(((hugs))) I've been there and I wouldn't wish clinical depression on my worst enemy (well, maybe my worst!)
Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

I have depression and without meds I am a blob.

Depression is an illness that occurs when the brain does not function fully.
I had to try 4 meds before I found one that works without side effects.

I do use a light lamp in the winter and I do have a thyroid problem but I also realized long ago that my depression meds are a necessary part of my life.

If you tried meds more than 5 years ago, they have really changed. They are so much better. Also, taking it at night helps since they do make me sleepy.

You need to find a psychiatrist who specializes in working with meds.
Your family doctor will not know the subtle differences in the drugs.

Kathryn
Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #8
Stampin' Fool

Oh my gosh! This is exactly what I am going through right now!!!! I am always sooooo tired and I'm sick and tired of being tired!

I found a doctor who has an MD from Harvard and is also certified in nutrition, accupuncture and neurofeedback. In other words, she's smart, but can also do alternative meds.

Please read this article that I will link here about the relationship of gut health and psychology. It's so important!

My new doc recommended 18-20 cfu's of probiotics to heal my gut, aloe vera juice, DGL, all natural multi vitamin and cod liver oil. All of these things I am supposed to take while I wait for blood test results. After reading my history, etc. she felt that all my symptoms pointed to food intolerances and my gut is inflamed. This has been going on for years probably.

Please PM me if you need to.

Here's the link:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2178392/Gu...ology-Syndrome
Old 06-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to scrapbuknTI

If you dont want to get help it may be hard for you overcome. You really shouldnt go on and off. I have been depressed since I was born in 74. It wasn't until 93 after having my DD I realized that I have to get help more now than ever, had I stayed in counseling longer than on and off like I did for years things may have been different with my family then. After the birth of the other daughter in 99, I knew then I needed more help. I got assessed and got meds. Then started regular counseling havent miss a year since 2004. It helps alot and I have seen myself pull through, I still battle ups and down but that is a whole other chapter and I am dealing with the feelings of what you are as well. I take vitamins with no Iron(allergic), B-12 and have my coffee when I wake up. Somethings cant change a feeling or behavior. I seriously think you should see about help. Assess your environment, what can you do to make you better, changes? what has changed? etc etc. I do hope you feel better soon. Sounds like a few of us on here has gone through or is going through same as you mentioned. Wish you well.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

I have been depressed since the age of 4 - no known cause - just people asked my mom why I was so sad and I was 4 or 5 years old. Have meds, try to remember to take them!! Have had counseling, therapy, some pretty bad experiences themselves, done the David Burns book when it first came out in the 1970's, you name it. I never know which days I will feel good and which days I won't even with steady meds. Life is a roller coaster. I try to get sunlight, take Geritol !!! Estroven extra strength, and glucosomine - when I don't hurt I move better and feel better. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to ngdtoys

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Those are CLASSIC symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Even if you've had your regular thyroid levels (t3, t4) checked, it could still be low. You'd need to get your antibodies checked. The MOST common reason for hypothyroidism is "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis" which is an auto-immune disorder.

Classic symptoms of hypothyroidism are:
cold hands & feet
low energy
tired ALL the time
depression
forgetfulness
"foggy" thinking
anxiety / panic
insomnia
poor concentration
and the list goes on....

go to stopthethyroidmadness.com for more information.

Good luck! I've suffered from the same symptoms since my teenage years as well and was only diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year and a half ago (i'm 33). And that was after my then *8* year old daughter was diagnosed with the same thing.

Nicole
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I'm sure they did a blood test, but I had the same problem a couple months back and found out that I am severely anemic. I added an iron supplement every day and have to go back soon to get my levels checked. I would come home from work and just collapse.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, you are getting some fascinating and varied suggestions. I hope one of them is the right thing for YOU. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Whilst I don't have personal experience of feeling depressed, I have supported people through it-and I would say is look at Joan's list first and try it. All of it-I have never heard of the David Burns book but the rest of it makes enough sense for me to say try the book.
If you can't exercise, take a walk outside. Just to the end of the road or to buy a paper.
Exercise- is very important for self esteem and the increased activity boosts your energy, and you don't say whether you are doing any, it doesn't have to be an aerobiocs class straight away, or even running a marathon, but become more active, and talk to people, just keep talking about what troubles you, about what amuses you.
Can you volunteer somewhere, a school or a play centre? Even a vet's practice? I wouldn't say go somewhere to see how lucky you are, because misery breeds misery, but go somewhere where you can do something positive for others and feel more positive around others.
Eat properly- I am serious, eat your greens, proteins and carrots. A healthy diet does make a lot of difference.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
Kookie Creator

Wow, thanks a lot for all your suggestions and good wishes. I really appreciate that.

Although I’ve suffered from depression and all those symptoms for a long time, I have a very busy life: I have a good job, I exercise, meet/talk to friends/family on a regular basis, look after myself (health, looks, self-development), go dancing, visit museums/galleries, go travelling and will start volunteering at a hospital in the summer. I try to have new dreams and projects in my life so I can have something to look forward to. I’ve never really got stuck at home feeling sorry for myself and not wanting to go out.

On the other hand, I find it difficult to make friends and have a healthy relationship, which I find very frustrating.

I have a healthy and balanced diet and I eat at least 8 portions of fruit/vegetables a day. I drink a lot of water every day and try to avoid alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, white bread/pasta, sugar, meat and fat. I’ve never smoked or taken drugs. I don’t take any medications – I only take vitamins. I tried St John’s Wort a long time ago, but it didn’t help me.

I forgot to mention that I’ve also suffered from dizziness / loss of balance the past few years. I’ve seen two neurologists, an ENT doctor, had a CAT scan and MRI, but the doctors couldn’t find anything wrong. They ruled out brain tumour, labyrinthitis, Meniere’s disease, hearing problems, multiple sclerosis and many more.

During this recent health assessment they did many tests, including eyesight, hearing, diabetes, thyroid, liver function, kidneys, cholesterol, anaemia, cardio-vascular and fitness measurements, heart scan, electro cardiogram, vitamins, etc. All my results were normal, as well as my weight.

It’s been a while since I stopped taking anti-depressants, and the doctor mentioned that they have changed a lot since. She didn’t really tell me which type she would advise me to take, but said I might like to consider this option, as well as some therapy.

I got sick of therapy and counselling and haven’t had any for over two years. I just thought I was repeating myself over and over again (about issues with my childhood, family, ex-husband, etc) and I was going nowhere. I’m thinking about trying Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, but need to get some more information about it. I would also like to see a life coach, but I don’t really know how effective that would be. I haven’t read the book by David Burns and I’m happy to give it a try.

I cannot discuss this subject with friends and family, as they’ve never been depressed and don’t really know what to do.

Thank you for being so kind and supportive and for sharing your experiences with me. I would be happy to learn what you’ve done to beat depression or at least to minimize its symptoms.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
Glitter Guru

Since you say you don't want meds and you already exercise and eat well, I'm going to second two of the previous suggestions that have really helped me...

- a light lamp; you can get these for around $200. Helps regulate sleep, decrease the afternoon slump, eases depression
- read the David Burns book. Sometimes it's a little cheesy, to be honest, but it really does help a LOT if you take the time to work through the exercises
Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlz319
I'm sure they did a blood test, but I had the same problem a couple months back and found out that I am severely anemic. I added an iron supplement every day and have to go back soon to get my levels checked. I would come home from work and just collapse.
This is exactly what I was going to say....I had the exact same thing, and taking the iron supplement made a huge difference.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

May I ask what your TSH level is? Family doctors are not really equipped to deal with or diagnose thyroid issues. The "normal" range is stated at 0.4 to 4.0, however an endocrinologist knows that the real normal range is more like 1.0 - 2.0, so you could still have a thyroid problem. I was in the "normal" range for years and years - it was only when the endo. looked at my levels over the years and noticed the general progression upwards that I received an accurate diagnosis. I too have Hashimoto's. Please check what your level is - it's in your records and consider going to an endo.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
Compulsive Stamper

You may have to ask your doctor to test you regularly for indications of a thyroid problem. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and it took several blood tests before the results came back indicating low thryoid hormone level.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #20
Kookie Creator

I sometimes think that I have a thyroid problem, but doctors keep telling me I don't. Anyway, I've just ordered a book called "Stop the thyroid Madness" by Janie Bowthorpe and will read it before I contact a doctor again. I agree that it might be worth going to see the endocrinologist.

I know I have a hormonal problem because I keep having spots about a week before my period but, again, doctors don't take it seriously.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

Somehow this type of conversation came up at craft night with my gf's last night and one of them is an MD. She said that it could be thyroid, but so many other things mimic it too - like blood sugar issues, celiac disease, gut problems. It was a very interesting discussion. I'm on thyroid meds and my dosage seems right, but I'm still not "right" myself. I'm betting it's something with my gut. My friend just found out that she's allergic to yeast. She's on a restricted diet now and feels better. I hope you get yours figured out!!
Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
down and digi

Have you considered celiac disease? There are over 200 symptoms and many people never have digestive symptoms.

If you do consider it, do not simply go off gluten to experiment. First, get the blood test and/or biopsy since you will have negative test results once you are gluten-free. However, once you get the tests done, still try going gluten-free. Many people get negative results, but their symptoms go away with a gluten-free diet.

This is personal, but are you overweight? You don't have to answer that (except to yourself ) If you are overweight, you may not be sleeping properly and it will require more energy to do anything, so you will be fatigued. Also, many people who are overweight withdraw from life, so they feel segregated and slowly get more and more depressed.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #23
Kookie Creator

I’ve never heard of celiac disease – I need to find out about it.

My blood pressure is within the normal range, but it’s close to the lower limit. I need to eat small portions every few hours or so, even when I’m not hungry. If I don’t do it, my blood pressure drops and I feel fainty. (Although I’ve never really fainted).

My weight is quite normal and I don’t need to lose any weight.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to scrapbuknTI

Poor bhz-1..... we all are diagnosing, throwing her ideas, and yet this friend isnt getting anywhere fast, plus the Dr and their assessments. See that is the thing no matter what one goes through it is still hard to figure out what is the matter or how they feel. If it is mentally then go repeat yourself over and over if you need to that is what they are there for. Trust me on that. You arent repeating yourself with same problems it is just the catorgies like family, etc. My therapist gets ears loads of the same crap for 50min. but each time something new comes out and I am able to figure out what I need to do to change it or cope it takes time. Well hopefully you can read books, get help, more opinions from Dr and friends here and do research. You take care.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #25
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbuknTI View Post
Poor bhz-1..... we all are diagnosing, throwing her ideas, and yet this friend isnt getting anywhere fast, plus the Dr and their assessments. See that is the thing no matter what one goes through it is still hard to figure out what is the matter or how they feel. If it is mentally then go repeat yourself over and over if you need to that is what they are there for. Trust me on that. You arent repeating yourself with same problems it is just the catorgies like family, etc. My therapist gets ears loads of the same crap for 50min. but each time something new comes out and I am able to figure out what I need to do to change it or cope it takes time. Well hopefully you can read books, get help, more opinions from Dr and friends here and do research. You take care.
Iíve benefited a lot from therapy and counselling (on and off) over the years. Sometimes I just needed to have someone to listen to me for 50 minutes without judging me, criticizing me, or freaking out when I needed a crying session.

The last time I went to see a counsellor was a few years ago. After nearly two months of weekly sessions, I found I was repeating myself over and over again and was feeling stuck and very frustrated. I didnít know what to say. She said that after a while, things would just ďclickĒ and I would find the solution to my problems. Well, it didnít click at all... I suggested she ask me different questions to help me, but we just had an argument and I didnít want to see her again.

That put me off therapy and counselling, but now I want to read more about Cognitive Behavior Therapy and find out whether itís something I want to try.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

I have hypothyroidism, did the doctor do blood work and test your TSH levels? If I do not take my synthroid everyday I am tired,, and often get depressed and overwhelmed with normal things.
I also have bi-polar and an anxiety disorder, both of which are exhausting. The synthroid helps, in combination with the lamictal and anti anxiety meds.
Find out if he tested your TSH levels though, believe it or not that may help out with a lot of your issues you are dealing with, including some of the depression.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #27
Cardstock Collector

bhz-1 You also need to look into a book on food allergies. Symptoms are not always external, sometimes they are internal. I always felt sluggish in the spring when I evaluated my eating this was the same time strawberries started to appear, I am allergic to strawberries but I dont have any external reactions to it, they are purly internal.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #28
Matboard Maniac

I had a lot of issues with being constantly tired/not feeling well all the time. The dr's would always check my thyroid, it would be fine and then the only other thing they could do was prescribe an antidepressant. Several years ago, while we were looking for answer's for my sons behavior/not feeling well, I discovered that I have several food allergies in addition to an allergy to dust. And the symptoms vary. Dairy makes me very tired, for example. It affects my mood as well as physical symptoms. And food allergies do a lot of damage to your gut, so you don't absorb nutrients from other foods well, either.

If you want a simple way to test if this might be your issue, try taking Claritin for a week or 2. If you start feeling better, it might be allergies, if not, it probably isn't. This is what my pediatrician recommended for my son and it was a great first step.

Also, my very favorite vitamins are by Melaleuca. The minerals bond to a sugar molecule so they absorb better. They are the only vitamins I have ever taken that actually make me feel better.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #29
Die Cut Diva

Could be something as simple as low iron or something complex.

Any chance it could be sleep apnea? Are you having nightmares or getting up to pee a lot in the night? There are lots of signs for it but a lot of people don't even think about it.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #30
Mad Swapper

Along the same lines as the person above who mentioned celiac disease, I would suggest going and getting a full food allergy test run from an allergist before you try experimenting by taking yourself off any foods.

I was/am suffering from a lot of the same issues you are describing until about 4 months ago. I saw a naturopath who did a food allergy run and found out that I am allergic to 8 - yes EIGHT - different foods! Gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, pork, walnuts, chocolate and cinnamon!!

I've been on an elimination diet for 4 months now and all I can say is that my energy has soared! I have also seen the disappearance of a lot of other health issues that I have had in the past.

It certainly isn't easy, but I am beginning to feel slowly better. It can't hurt to look into it! If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to PM me!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #31
Kookie Creator

Thanks to all for your useful advice. I definitely need to investigate your ideas and will keep you posted.

I get up to a pee a few times at night and it’s been like that since I got divorced. I often have nightmares (usually when my stress levels are really high) and wake up screaming or crying. It can be a very frightening experience sometimes.

Clara, I’m so glad your energy has soared thanks to your elimination diet - I hope I’ll get there eventually!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhz-1 View Post
Thanks to all for your useful advice. I definitely need to investigate your ideas and will keep you posted.

I get up to a pee a few times at night and itís been like that since I got divorced. I often have nightmares (usually when my stress levels are really high) and wake up screaming or crying. It can be a very frightening experience sometimes.

Clara, Iím so glad your energy has soared thanks to your elimination diet - I hope Iíll get there eventually!
I similarly, since separation/divorce, will wake up in panic attacks. Heart racing etc...from a dead sleep to that...ah! I do take something for it now and it helps. Usually stems when stress is high, but can be anytime....
Old 06-18-2008, 07:52 PM   #33
Hardware Hotshot

I had a similar situation where I was tired all the time... I went to the doctor and was told I was depressed.. I laughed and told him I was a very happy person.. he looked at me and said that many people who are depressed are happy! He put me on some meds and guess what.. nothing changed, I was still tired as all.. I went back to the doctor because of my elbow and I told him about my being tired and he ordered a full blood work up. Come to find out my iron was on the verge of being anemic and I was deficient in several vitamins.. not depressed. just lack of some important things. I went to a nutritionist and learned good foods to eat to help with my iron and started taking iron. I still have issues with my iron, it's my body's problem of not absorbing it the way it should.. but by taking my iron, I am not tired anymore.

hope everything works out for you.

{{hugs}} Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #34
Pearl-ExPert

I have been low energy all my life. I used to take naps when I would come from high school before I coud do anything else. I've been able to work, but it's not been easy.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #35
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to AZShann

I don't have the depression but I was told I have vitamin d deficiency. My thyroid tests keep coming back normal (not sure how with my family history). But in all the tests, my Vitamin D deficiency shows. A lot of the symptoms of vit d deficiency are the same as thyroid. It's hard to imagine with me living in AZ...and the first summer I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency, I was more tan than I have ever been in my life and I get pretty tan. My dr was amazed. This last time, it was in December, so I can't really tell what makes it happen and what makes me feel worse. My sleep habits are not the greatest. When I'm more stressed, it does seem to be worse. I also did better with the dr prescribed vit d gel caps (1 50,000mg pill a week for 5 or 6 weeks) than I do with the over the counter vitamins. They seem to make me feel worse.

I'm always cold (wearing a sweatshirt right now, inside). Tired. Lathargic. Can't sleep well, dry skin/hair, can't lose weight, too tired to excercise, but can not be too tired to craft.

I'd say more veggies and less red meat in your diet and excercise (if even walking a little) does seem to help me feel a bit better. Sometimes though...red meat is all I crave so who knows.

You could also have your adrenal system or your liver enzymes checked. They seem to go hand-in-hand.

My gf was told she has an allergy to wheat. She does not have to eat glutten-free, but she cut all of the wheat products (all processed foods pretty much) out of her diet and she is feeling like a new person. I'm slowly convincing myself that I need to try that to see if it helps me feel better. In fact while driving today, I was running through my head what I needed to cut out. She can't even eat teriyaki sauce. Soy sauce is fermented wheat...who knew?

Good luck.

Last edited by AZShann; 04-18-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #36
Stampin' Fool

I see this thread is three years old but I'll add my two cents in case this issue is a problem for anyone currently.

I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager. I am now 36. I have pretty much conquered it without medication. How? It's not an easy solution, I will be honest, but it DEFINITELY worked for me. I even told my doctor about it several years ago when I noticed a difference and she wasn't surprised at the results I had with my lifestyle changes.

I've been a runner since I was 14 but I noticed I had far fewer depressive feelings when I ran intensely and for long miles. I noticed this by accident when I trained for my first marathon. I ran a second one and found the same thing happened. I now work out for at least 90 minutes in the morning. I get up at 5am (I have 3 children and a husband to get to school and work for the day) to do this. Sometimes I run, sometimes I do strength training, sometimes I do spinning or TaeBo or Boot Camp. I change it up. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

The second thing I did to conquer depression was to change my diet. I ate pretty healthy most of my life, but 5 years ago I began to eat whole goods exclusively and I read every nutrition label of everything I buy, if it even comes in a package. Especially effective in fighting my depression were things high in omega-3 fatty acids. Things like salmon, ground flaxseed, fortified eggs, walnuts, etc. I eat those foods daily and they work!

Those two strategies have pretty miuch eliminated my depression. A great side benefit is that I do not get mood swings or cramps in the days leading up to my period. If I do begin to feel sad again, I can ALWAYS trace it to having taken a few days off of exercising and/or not eating properly.

Like I said, my doctor said she has always believed exercise and diet can solve many health problems without medication and she was happy to hear of it being the case for me.

I urge anyone with depression to try these natural methods before going on medication!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
Cardstock Collector

Wow. I have been dealing with almost the exact same thing. I started back to counseling after 1 1/2 years. I am being sent to have an EEG/ Neuro scan. I'm tired all of the time, when I am, I feel depressed. I get decent sleep and I don't eat poorly. I know there is an issue when after eating some pizza for lunch today, I took a nap in my office for well over an hour. Needless to say, not a very productive day!

Let me know how your progress goes.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhz-1 View Post
Wow, thanks a lot for all your suggestions and good wishes. I really appreciate that.

Although Iíve suffered from depression and all those symptoms for a long time, I have a very busy life: I have a good job, I exercise, meet/talk to friends/family on a regular basis, look after myself (health, looks, self-development), go dancing, visit museums/galleries, go travelling and will start volunteering at a hospital in the summer. I try to have new dreams and projects in my life so I can have something to look forward to. Iíve never really got stuck at home feeling sorry for myself and not wanting to go out.

On the other hand, I find it difficult to make friends and have a healthy relationship, which I find very frustrating.

I have a healthy and balanced diet and I eat at least 8 portions of fruit/vegetables a day. I drink a lot of water every day and try to avoid alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, white bread/pasta, sugar, meat and fat. Iíve never smoked or taken drugs. I donít take any medications Ė I only take vitamins. I tried St Johnís Wort a long time ago, but it didnít help me.

I forgot to mention that Iíve also suffered from dizziness / loss of balance the past few years. Iíve seen two neurologists, an ENT doctor, had a CAT scan and MRI, but the doctors couldnít find anything wrong. They ruled out brain tumour, labyrinthitis, Meniereís disease, hearing problems, multiple sclerosis and many more.

During this recent health assessment they did many tests, including eyesight, hearing, diabetes, thyroid, liver function, kidneys, cholesterol, anaemia, cardio-vascular and fitness measurements, heart scan, electro cardiogram, vitamins, etc. All my results were normal, as well as my weight.

Itís been a while since I stopped taking anti-depressants, and the doctor mentioned that they have changed a lot since. She didnít really tell me which type she would advise me to take, but said I might like to consider this option, as well as some therapy.

I got sick of therapy and counselling and havenít had any for over two years. I just thought I was repeating myself over and over again (about issues with my childhood, family, ex-husband, etc) and I was going nowhere. Iím thinking about trying Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, but need to get some more information about it. I would also like to see a life coach, but I donít really know how effective that would be. I havenít read the book by David Burns and Iím happy to give it a try.

I cannot discuss this subject with friends and family, as theyíve never been depressed and donít really know what to do.

Thank you for being so kind and supportive and for sharing your experiences with me. I would be happy to learn what youíve done to beat depression or at least to minimize its symptoms.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #38
Cardstock Collector

I'm happy to hear your results! I have been exercising and watching what I eat. The oddity that I have is that whenever I eat, I have a need to go to sleep afterwards. This is even with foods that have little to no carbs to them. I know that when I go to bed, sleep eight or nine hours, I'll wake up, be on the go for an hour or two and then start to feel the tiredness creep in. Strange, and I've had every kind of test run, I'm the picture of good health. I will mention that I don't notice any difference whether I am exercising or not. Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #39
Mad Swapper

Lots of great suggestions here . . . here are some I haven't seen yet:

To answer the original question, which had to do with low energy levels, one thing that has really helped me has been yoga. My husband and I take classes at the local community centre--it's part of the fitness program and focuses on stretching and strengthening your core muscles. At the end of every class I feel like I've given myself a massage, and the benefits last for a few days. I never feel better than when I've been getting to yoga class. Combined with regular cardio, it's even more beneficial. And fresh air & natural light are also very important.

Another thing I've tried is meditation, which is wonderful when it works, but sort of "why am I sitting here?" when it doesn't. I had a fabulous teacher at one point. Definitely worth pursuing though, and you don't have to have anything to do with new age or eastern religion to make meditation work for you.

View My Gallery
Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #40
Kookie Creator

Have your heart checked... extensively. I was slowing down, more tired, ect. We though I was just getting older... just turned 71. When the dr. just listened to my heart it was okay. On Sunday the 13th I started having a hard time breathing. I called my husband to come home and then called 911. By the time they got here, my heart had stopped and I wasn't breathing. Praise the Lord, they got my heart going, rushed me to the local hospital, stablized me and the ambulance took me to the bigger city to their cardiac unit. I now have a pacemaker/defibulator and am recovering. Don't mess around with your health. I'm so thankful that I'm still alive and able to stamp with my friends.