Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Family Matters (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/family-matters-f64/)
-   -   Bible: something totally cool ... Part 2 (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/family-matters-f64/bible-something-totally-cool-part-2-a-t383882.html)

basketballmom 09-20-2008 10:18 AM

Bible: something totally cool ... Part 2

Starting a new thread here, 'cos we're past 5000 posts on the other one! :)
Caterina's devotion for today is here.

JanTInk 09-20-2008 10:25 AM

Checking in to start my subscription!

caterinafmig 09-20-2008 10:47 AM

Thanks, Gail. :-D

39th Ave. Ink 09-20-2008 11:02 AM

Awwww...SCS blew away my whole post :(
maybe i was the only one that needed to hear it today. tee-hee!
anyway...thanks Caterina for the great devo...it went along with mine...come visit me, it will be 100 degrees today! and all week UGH!

Be blessed lovelies!

t

Bethhartley 09-20-2008 11:08 AM

Hi ladies......Thanks Gail for starting the new thread. I hadn't even noticed that we were past 5000...but I did inow the rule about moving to a new one. Thanks!

FF was fun...I'm hot and tired..the boys are hot, tired and dirty! LOL!

Now we are off soon to my nieces b-day party......

bostonstamps 09-20-2008 11:38 AM

Hi ladies! Hope you are all doing well!

Elee- Congrats! Sounds like you're going to really enjoy your new family member!

I go back to work on Wednesday, which I am not looking forward to. Can you say a prayer that God gives me the strength? Thanks, ladies! The good thing about work is that I usually get more computer time cuz I can hop on for a few minutes w/o a 3 yo tagging after me!

nana's cookies 09-20-2008 01:30 PM

Hi all, back from camping will write more later but wanted to subscribe. Gloria

scrappincat 09-20-2008 01:47 PM

Ok, I'm popping in here right from the beginning of this one...........maybe it'll be easier to keep up if I keep tabs right from the start? :)

I think it's wonderful that enough sharing has taken place to get us to a part 2! :)

naner0331 09-20-2008 03:44 PM

I'm popping in to subscribe, too.

Cuttlebug is awesome!

Have a wonderful evening and a joyful tomorrow.

Blessings!

Doris 09-20-2008 04:12 PM

Hello Ladies! http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif

Great to read all your posts and to catch up this afternoon. Thinking of you all today.

Well we had the bug men come yesterday to kill all those gosh darn termites. So hopefully those little fellas are gone. Gosh, I hated even knowing that those guys were trying to eat up our house. So it feels good to have that problem solved.

Today was a busy one. Took my kids to the Boy Scout store to pick up my DS uniform. My DH told me that he was a "Wolf" but when I went to the store and told him how old my son was they said he was a "Bear." Well I decided to trust them over my DH so bought what they told me he needed. When I got home I called the BS leader and she said, yep he was a "Bear". I swear it drives me nuts when my DH doesn't get his facts straight. It is a good thing sometimes that I don't listen to him. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/goodsigh2.gifThe man is a nut!

Then took my DD out to get some body soap at Bath and Body Works. They always have such yummy smells, and we both love how they keep our skin so soft. It is pretty dry here in the desert ya know. I was disappointed to see how their prices have gone up though. It is a good thing that we don't go there often.

Then off to Best Buy to look at video games for my son. He had a birthday this week, and got some gift cards as gifts. So he wanted to look at games for his DS. They have tons of them ya know...so that took a bit, but we did have fun looking.

So this afternoon it is cleaning up the kitchen, making tuna fish for sandwiches, listening to my DD practicing her violin, and then having my son do some homework and writing out his thank you notes from his birthday. Do you all have your children do that? I made some cards this week just for this purpose, and I have always had a rule that they must do this, usually within two weeks of receiving a present. I just think it is courtesy. No emails either...must be hand written. Then after I finish up here I am going to get us all ready for mass. We have another children's mass today. Our kids just love these.....

Anyway, have a wonderful Saturday and please know that I am thinking of you all today and praying for peace in your hearts, and laughter in your days. Hugs!

nottoocreative 09-20-2008 08:26 PM

Thanks, Gail, I was nowhere near caught up in that other thread!

Today DH took DD to his gun club, where they were having a special day for the kiddos, and she got to shoot a BB gun for the first time, and a bow & arrow. Even got a bull's eye with the BB gun, she was sooo proud. She wouldn't try the other guns, though, because they were "too loud." She's such a girlie girl sometimes : )
Apparently she was the hit of the day, because she had Carhardt (brand) overalls and pink galoshes on (and a pink tshirt with rhinestones that said "I love being a Princess" on it).
I tried to get caught up on my scrapbooking. Since I started making cards, it's been hard to switch back & forth.

nottoocreative 09-20-2008 08:35 PM

Here's a meditation I have hanging by my computer, as a reminder to keep raising the bar. Oh my, sorry--I don't have the reference but it was from a Catholic priest in Cincinnati, OH who sent out daily readings (slightly edited for brevity):

"God raised him from the dea, and we are His witnesses." -- Acts 3:15

If we are not resurrection-witnesses like the apostles, we should not make excuses, but rather admit that being a powerful witness for the risen Christ is normal Christianity.
To be a resurrection-witness, we must simply repent...We may think we have already done this. Yet have we repented and converted by God's standards?
Most of us know that we must repent of doing things which are wrong for everyone, such as adultery, theft, etc. However, each of us has a special calling from God. It may not be sinful for you to drink a beer, watch a TV program, buy a certain item, or have a certainl lifestyle, but these things may be wrong for someone else. We tend to jump to the conclusino that, if something is all right for some people, then it is okay for me. This denies our uniqueness and often leads to a waterd-down, pleasure-seeking aberratino of normal Christianity.
Also...we tend to falsely reason that if other people are not expected to do certain things, why should we?
Keep denying and extending yourself until you are witnessing freely and powerfully for the risen Lord.

Doris 09-21-2008 11:33 AM

I love going to the childrens mass with our children...here is what he spoke about last night.

Father talked of the parable of the man who owned the vineyard who hired workers early in the day, again at noon, at midday, and then at the end of the day but paid them all the same wage. Those who started at the beginning of the day were mad because they were paid the same as those who only worked for one hour.

What is interesting from this story is that it is not the "time spent" that counts, but rather the "quality of the time" spent doing the task before us. This was quite interesting because I never looked at this story in this light before. You have those who can spend all day in church, but are only there physically....not emotionally or spiritually. But then there are those who are there for only one hour...and are fully there. Father also spoke of students he had taught in the past...who were A students, but didn't give their all when doing assignments...so he would give them a B on a paper. He said his goal was to have every student put forth their best efforts....so as to get the best out of them.

So the question is, are we giving God the very best we have to give?
Are we spiritually and mentally giving of ourselves when we are in church, or volunteering our time in his name? Or are we just putting in the time?

Just a little reminder that it is not the quantity, but the quality that matters.

Have a blessed Sunday!

nana's cookies 09-21-2008 11:41 AM

Read quick the posts while I was gone and tried to take some notes so know I missed a lot of things for sure.

Jan, What can I say but so very sorry about the job, just know there is something even better around the corner. So can I have a hint what the book is about??

A big welcome to Toni and Lynn nice to have you here!

O.K. what in the world is the "big shot"??? Sounds wonderful the way everyone is talking about it. Just got the cuttle bug and haven't even got to play with it much, guess it will have to wait until winter. Husband is busy in the garage then making bowls and canes on his wood lathe so I play in the house then on my projects,

Beth, hope your DH is feeling much better now, and you are getting a lot of work on your new card making/scrap booking site.

Stephanie, how is it going with the little one in school now? I remember I would draw a picture on the lunch bag (O.K. that dates me when they used paper bags for lunch), maybe slip a small note or card in her pocket everyday, that way she not only will love to know you are thinking of her but you can feel like your with her.:)

Caterina, birthday card was mailed early before we left on vacation, will have to buy a few "girl" type stamps before last year when we got our first granddaughter only had a need for boy stamps! I did get to read the description of dying with the boat, it was so beautiful. Made me think of one I had cut out years ago so had to dig and find it, hope you like it. Not sure who wrote it.

what a wonderful way to explain death.

A sick man turned to his doctor, as he was preparing to leave the examination room and said, "Doctor, I am afraid to die, Tell me what lies on the other side."

Very quietly, the doctor said, "I don't know".

" You don't know? You a Christian man, do not know what is on the other side?"

The doctor was holding the handle of the door; on the other side came a sound of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.

Turning to the patient; the doctor said, "Did you notice my dog? He's never been in this room before. He didn't know what was inside, He knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door opened, he sprang in without fear. I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing... I know my Master is there and that is enough."

Elee, Congratulations on the engagement of your son and future daughter in law! I bet your husband is counting the days until he retires wasn't that long ago I was doing the same, I still have a hard time thinking of not having to worry about getting to bed so I could get up and work the next day. Renewed my nursing license one time since but this year it is sitting on the cupboard, have not taken any of the classes I would need to renew it, I know my husband wants me to keep it up but I really don't want to so will wait until this week when he has his yearly MRI to check to see if his tumor is back, if it isn't will throw it away other wise to give him peace of mind will renew.

Mmmmm flannel sheets love them.... living in northern Mn. I hate to say I have used them all summer this year, now looking for them in the stores to come on sale so I can replace them.

Nanner, glad you are having fun with the cuttle bug.

Our vacation was bitter sweet you might say, we had spent so many weeks each year along the border between Canada and Minnesota, and had not gotten there for the last couple years with DH having the tumor removed from his neck and losing so many muscles to the shoulder, we had thought we might not get back there. The beauty is so awesome only God could do what he did with the rocks, water and trees! As we boated around, it brought back so many memories of time spent not only together but with my best friend and her husband before she passed away with cancer. I know at times we both had tears in our eyes with the wonderful memories.

Well better quit or I'll have a book written, Hi to Doris and Rita! Take care and so happy to be back with all of you. Gloria

nana's cookies 09-21-2008 11:44 AM

Can I ask all to pray for my husbands MRI on the 23rd of this month that the tumor has not come back. Will let you know what we find out when we go to the Dr. this week.

Also for all of you that remember my worry about my sister and future husband, keep praying for them also, but now they are getting married in church!!! Isn't God something the way he works! Have been praying so hard that he is lead to God. Gloria

naner0331 09-21-2008 01:48 PM

Good afternoon, ladies!
God is working on SCS; to be able to go to Part II of this thread is just one of His many blessings. Praise be to Him and Him alone.

It took me an hour to get through all the posts since, what?, last week? Wow! I so enjoy reading everything you all share.

Gail: Thanks again for keeping this thread going...so nice to have a moderator here and especially one as nice as you!

Wendy: It is hard to go back to work...will keep you in my prayers as you transition back into the working mommy world.

Cathi: Welcome back. I agree that it is great to have this Bible thread growing and growing.

Doris: Wish I could use scented soaps and lotions...my skin gets way too dry from the scents. Your life sounds so busy and full with your kids, etc. Just wondering...is your signature's quote from John McCain's acceptance speech? Glad your unwelcome guest got booted out!

Lynn: Loved your little blurb about your DD's experience at the gun club...the little pink princess top was the icing on the cake. TFS your meditation---a powerful reminder for me to stand firm in my faith at all times. Checked out your gallery and ran across your LSS Birthday Ribbon card--I had posted a comment on that card in August; still haven't made it, though, but I will and then will let you know. Love all your recipe cards (and the recipes, too).

Elee: So enjoyed reading how everything went the other night; your son must be quite a romantic to have planned such a delightful way to propose.

Jan: In one of Beth's posts, she mentioned The Tearing Edge. I'm curious what that is and how to find it.

Beth: Hope your DH is feeling much better today. I checked out your blog a few days ago but had no time to comment on all the new stuff. You brought me back to the days when my boys were playing flag football...how they loved that sport, but they all three wanted, in the worst way, to do the tackling rather than pulling out the flags. So funny how those memories come bubbling out of nowhere.

Toni: I think the post you thought was lost is still on Part I. I checked out your blog; one of my BIL's has MS and one of our nieces did the biking for MS a few months ago in FL. Another 3 nieces run for MS in Minneapolis. We always pledge for the four of them in honor of Tom.

Caterina: Flannel sheets already?!?!?! My DH is too hot for me to ever use flannel sheets and we live in MN where it gets down to -10 or -20 in the winter. However, we do have a heated dual control mattress pad...he cranks his side up to practically boiling and my side is almost always off unless the wind is howling when it's blizzard time...then I might have it on very low. Once again, I enjoyed your Divine Commandment devo...so easy to think one has to do good in order to be saved; by the grace of God all I have to do is believe. So easy.

Gloria: Welcome home! Love your suggestion to Stephanie to do little notes/pictures for her DD; I've done that with my boys when they seemed to little to be away from me in that big school and on that big bus. Praying until you know the MRI results. Oh! Ah! all I have to say about your sister's wedding in a church is this: God works 24/7 for the salvation of every one of His people, including non-believers. PTL. Praying for "more" for her fiance`. PTL again.

Stephanie: Have you enjoyed having your girls home for the weekend? I've had you in my prayers and often think about you.

Well...I need to get off this computer. I want to do a scrapbook layout before it's time to start supper.

We had a missionary from China at our church this morning...amazing work our church is doing in that Communist country. He is an English teacher and teaches classes using only the Bible. The government (Communist Party) allows certain churches, schools and missionaries into their country...if you aren't on their "list" you are not welcome, except to go underground. From what we heard today, China welcomes English-speaking missionaries because they are eager to learn the English language in order to economically compete in the world...so, the door to God has opened up especially since China allows the Bible to be used in the schools. The Chinese people are being converted. Halleluia!

basketballmom 09-21-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naner0331 (Post 11395634)
Good afternoon, ladies!
God is working on SCS; to be able to go to Part II of this thread is just one of His many blessings. Praise be to Him and Him alone.

It took me an hour to get through all the posts since, what?, last week? Wow! I so enjoy reading everything you all share.

Gail: Thanks again for keeping this thread going...so nice to have a moderator here and especially one as nice as you!

Thanks!
However, I'm not a moderator in this forum. As much as possible, in this thread, I am simply "Gail", basketballmom, or "Hey you!"

row4d 09-21-2008 02:13 PM

Hello, everyone! I remember when the old thread first started and I poked around in there a bit, but never really got involved much -- trying to remember if I even posted in there! Anyway, I thought I might join the chat this time around, and get to know my "sisters" a little better! :)

jkstieber 09-21-2008 03:21 PM

Hi, I lurked a little bit on the old thread but never posted or read enough to get involved. I'm going to make a concious effort to keep up this time around, if you all don't mind another newbie.

nana's cookies 09-21-2008 03:35 PM

Rachel,Julie, Welcome, the more the merrier!

Gail, thanks so much for keeping us going . Gloria

EleeK 09-21-2008 10:52 PM

Checking in to subscribe. I have checked my list a few times and wondered why everyone was being so quiet on the thread.

Things have been super busy here and now it is bed time. Sigh.
DS leaves on Tuesday afternoon so eventually our lives will return to the usual routine.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend.

caterinafmig 09-22-2008 03:12 AM

Welcome, Julie and Rachel!! So happy to have you join us. :-D

caterinafmig 09-22-2008 04:06 AM

We have very dear friends with a daughter, Kathy, who is a missionary in China and has been there for over 10 years. She was in my Sunday School Class 20 years ago. Kathy is temporarily back here for the next year. It will be good to see her again and look forward to hearing how things are going. Saw her parents yesterday and they said that it is a real culture shock for Kathy to come back to the states. She now considers China her home and is eager to get back there after her visit here to drum up more support.

Real Treasure

“Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day.” Deuteronomy 8:11

The church in China is a phenomenal example of the gospel’s explosive power in the face of persecution. In the 1940s, the rise of communism led to the dismissal of all missionaries, leaving behind approximately one million Chinese Christians. With no missionaries, very few Bibles, and facing severe persecution, the believers were impoverished with no economic or political leverage. The future of Christianity in China seemed bleak. Which is why it’s shocking to learn that recent reports tell us there are over 100 million Christians in China today.

Rather than suffocating the gospel, the dire circumstances actually had the opposite effect. Why? Because the believers had nothing and no one to depend on except Jesus. They discovered that He was all they needed. Despite being persecuted and marginalized, their lives displayed the joy and satisfaction found in the riches of Christ. And as a result, the life-changing reality of Jesus impacted their society with exponential growth.

Without a doubt it is an exciting outcome to what was a seemingly despairing situation for believers in China. And it’s a reminder to us of how God can use trouble to take the material stuff out so that the real treasure of Jesus can come in.

As you may know, in China’s larger cities the economy is starting to boom. In a recent conversation with a friend who ministers in China, I asked him if the Christians are relieved that affluence is starting to return to their country. I had hoped that after years of living with harsh circumstances they could begin to enjoy some simple pleasures that a more prosperous life might bring to them. My friend’s response was somewhat surprising. He told me that the church leaders actually hope and pray for the opposite. They don’t want the affluence to come. He said, “We have noticed that the Christians who are becoming more affluent now have lost their edge for Jesus Christ and are becoming more taken with earth-side gain than with Jesus. It is sapping the strength out of our church.”

But it’s not just a challenge in China. It’s a challenge for all of us whom God has blessed with a measure of abundance. It’s why Paul wrote: “People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. . . . Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:9-10).

The very thing that we may think will be the demise of our lives—trouble—can actually serve to strengthen our lives by forcing us to cling to Jesus and Him alone. And the very things that we think will enrich our lives may in fact impoverish us. To the affluent, self-sufficient church in Laodicea that didn’t feel they needed Him, Jesus warned that from His point of view they were “wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (Revelation 3:17).

When we are consumed by the stacks of stuff in our world, we run the risk of missing the true treasures that are found in Christ alone.

Today is a great time to learn a lesson from the persecuted church—that amidst all the clutter of our material treasures, He is all we really need.

OUR JOURNEY…

* Most of us don’t deal with persecution on a daily basis, but the question still remains: If you were to suffer a personal loss, how would that loss help you to become more dependent on Jesus?
* How have difficult circumstances impacted your walk with Christ? How Christ-dependent are you when things are going well?
* What steps can you take to safeguard your heart, ensuring that even in times of prosperity your heart will remain focused on the Lord?
* For extra insight, read Deuteronomy 8:11-20. In this passage, Moses challenged the Israelites to maintain hearts filled with gratitude and trust as they entered a season of prosperity in the Promised Land. Why do you think Moses needed to warn the people? What can you learn from this passage?

Stampinglunchlady 09-22-2008 05:34 AM

Morning Ladies, big surprise-new thread had no Idea. I'm in.
Welcome Rachel and Julie.
God Bless I'll be back

39th Ave. Ink 09-22-2008 08:01 AM

Good Morning lovelies!

As usual I loved the devotional! Thank Caterina for posting! I especially love the journey portion...what grabbed me today is "What do you do to safe guard your heart? Well....(Beth, you may enjoy this, b-cuz our sense of humor is the same) The way I safeguard my heart is by protecting my mind...Now picture this...This Huge Romanesque Helmet of Salvation, that covers everthing, my ears, it have a heavy special tinted visor and it is sooo heavy plated that nothing could enter my mind that could effect my heart.
So i squeeze that that thing on...and of course not forget the rest of my armour.

Welcome Rachel & Julie!

Gloria-I gotcha prayer covered.

I have only had a chance to visit a few blogs so far... Beth...WOW! i love your stuff.

Jan- You are so talented and such a writer! My Upline brought you up in our last business meeting.

Blessings to all, I have a doctors appt. this morning, UGH! my least fav place to go.

Here is my scripture for the day that was in my devo.
I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus, MY Lord. (Philippians 3:8)

caterinafmig 09-22-2008 08:23 AM

Toni, great description of safe guarding.

Pray your doctor's appt. goes well.

Bethhartley 09-22-2008 08:25 AM

Wow...glad to see everyone here this a.m.

Loved what was said aobut death and not knowing the details but that my master is there. That's awesome to think about.

Doris...glad the buggies are gone....and funny about men and details..ha! Sometimes...Pow, right in the kisser! LOL!

Cathi..glad you are here and hope you can keep up. I get behind sometimes.....

Wendy.. you know I will be praying about work on Wednesday. Boy, this time has gone fast, hsn't it??

Rachael and Julie...would LOVE to have you girls here. I know I've seen you around SCS before..welcome!!

Gail.. you crack me up. I almost addressed this to "Hey You!" :)

Lynn, that is too cute about dd. Love it......you should have taken her pic with her girly get up holding that BB gun ready to take a shot. Adorable!

Nana.. you know I will be praying for your dd. That's tomorrow right??

Toni...how funny about the big helmet of salvation. I love it! My boys like those verses too...so visual and you can easily see yourselves putting on the entire armor. Made me LOL!

Oh, who asked about the Big Shot? It's a embossing/cutting thingymabob like the cuttlebug.

Loved all teh devos today. There were several and they are running together in my head. Caterina, that is a shock to know that there are so many Christians in China. I mean, I knew there were lots but 100 Million?? That's way more than I thought...amazing for sure.

Our missions director at church got up and spoke of the needs in Haiti since the hurricanes this season. We support a mission group there called Global Vision Citagelle Ministries. It was amazing what an e-mail from a minister there was saying...schools were totally smashed down, at elast 200 dead, hundreds of livestock flushed down by the rivers into the seas, thousands of homes destroyed..etc. We saw the damage on our coasts...can you imagine Haiti, Cuba, etc.....A gallon of diesel costs about $13 US dollars. Bless their hearts. We will be taking up special offerings (we did yesterday) and will next week to send over there to the mission.

Here is their website....www.gvcm.org

Well, I need to get in with the kids..almost lunch. Everyone have a good day.

Bethhartley 09-22-2008 08:25 AM

Oh, yes, me too, Toni. Willb e praying all goes well at the doc. never fun.

Stamping Servant 09-22-2008 08:55 AM

Happy Monday, everyone! A very warm welcome to all who have recently joined this thread! Your sweet messages are a blessing to me.

I don't often leave a message, but I do visit each day so that I can check on all of my sisters in the Lord and keep your prayer requests in mind.

Caterina ..... How wonderful to be able to 'sit at the feet' of your missionary friend from China! My goodness she must have lots of spiritual wisdom. Please share any gems you can from conversations with her.

It appears that our nation is headed for difficult days and I'm sure this will strengthen all of us followers of Christ. Don't you agree that spiritual growth is richer and deeper during the most trying and stressful situations?

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

Have a blessed day ........ Rita

basketballmom 09-22-2008 08:59 AM

I'm having trouble getting going today ... I have a list of things to do ... and it's so long that it's got me boggled and stopped.
Yesterday, we started our Family Bible School (what we call the Sunday School time) study - Beth Moore's Beloved Disciple ... watching the intro video. It was amazing to me how some of what she said was an echo of a what I had figured out the night before ... things in my life that need to change.

paulssandy 09-22-2008 09:16 AM

Hi everyone! I did not realize this morning when I posted that there was a new thread (what a blessing that so many partake of the fellowship in this thread ;) ) Anyway, I am reposting form the old thread just incase it was missed. I am going back to read some :p

"What a fantastic thread! I can't believe it took me so long to find it. There is no way I will be able to catch up, but I certainly will be here from now on So glad for the emails I get for threads I subscribe to. That way I never miss a new post

I don't want to rewrite my blog post from yesterday, it was kind of long.

It is about Lev. ch 11 which my Pastor preached on yesterday. It was such a good message, I had to share it. If you would like to read it, it is under the Scripture Sunday post from Sept. 21st.

In the future I will write about things here."

Sandy O
www.papertransformer.com

caterinafmig 09-22-2008 09:32 AM

Rita, I agree and think that it is through the really tough times when we have nothing left except the faithfulness of the Lord is when we really grow. Many years ago, heard a missionary say that he was praying for severe persecution for the church in America in order that the followers of Jesus here will become all that they are saved to be.

It does seem when things are wonderful and great, we have a tendency to get fat and lazy -- at least, I do. Guess this is the reason, the Lord sends difficulties to keep me close to Him

Gail, absolutely love Beth Moore - our church has done a couple of her studies and they are always so worth it. Every Wed. on Life Today, Beth Moore is featured and look forward to it every week.

Sandy, glad you found the new thread.

jkstieber 09-22-2008 10:16 AM

Good morning and thanks for all the warm welcomes. Catarina, thanks for the wonderful passage. I've heard some of those things regarding China, my niece went on a two month mission trip there about two years ago. This message you shared kind of ties into to what God has really been placing on my heart lately. I have definitely not been spending time where I need to. I have a woman in my life who has become a very good friend and we enjoy spending time together. We're each other's exercise buddies. However, there have been times in recent months that I have been putting time with her above spending time with my family. The other night I even had a dream that my husband and kids just walked out of my life and I had no idea where they were going or if I'd see them again. Really shook me up.

Well, fast forward to today. I get up to discover that my nine year old son has a fever of 102 and threw up during the night. And when he throws up he doesn't wake up in time. So you guessed it, I'm home with a sick kid and lots of laundry. But instead of moaning and groaning like I've done in the past, I see this as an opportunity from God to get him to myself for a while. (though right now he's watching TV and I'm obviously here, lol)

Anyway, that's what's going on with me. Hope all of you are doing well today. It may take me a while to get to "know" everyone here.

JanTInk 09-22-2008 10:30 AM

Good morning!

Nana's Cookies - my book is an ecumenical romance about a somewhat ditzy, yet lovable Pentecostal girl and a reserved Episcopalian guy.

Naner - the Tearing Edge was a serial stamping soap I used to write...I haven't written a new installment for ages and ages, mostly because I've been working on other things. You can find it here:

http://thetearingedge.blogspot.com/

LeahsCreations 09-22-2008 10:38 AM

Jan, you left me hanging with the TE.
I'm interested if you are writing a book? Will you be selling it?

naner0331 09-22-2008 11:29 AM

Good afternoon, ladies!
I meant to be here early this morning...it just takes me too long to get moving, I guess. So, before I get going on other stuff this afternoon I'm here now!

Lovin' my Cuttlebug. I got it for $42 (including tax) at Michael's with the 50% off coupon. When I got there Friday afternoon, there were none left on the shelf. Oh dear, I thought, I drove 35 miles for nothing. I waited until one of the cashiers was not busy to see if they had any in the stock room. Another "Oh dear!" when I first looked at her...she had more hardware on her face than I ever thought was possible, plus she was smacking on her gum and not only that, every other word caused her to sniff through her nose very loudly & "wetly". I honestly whispered a little prayer for me right then...I felt terrible about my judgment and decided I would be extra nice to her. Anyway! This Michael's doesn't keep their Cuttlebugs and Cricuits on the shelf...ya have to ask for them. Do people really shoplift something so big? How sad. After Michael's I needed to stop at Hobby Lobby, and lo and behold, all of their CB stuff was 30% off. My lucky day, huh? I picked up a few dies and a couple of embossing folders. I can see that I'm going to have hold myself back when looking at CB stuff...way too much stuff I want.

It looks like this thread is growing by leaps & bounds...WELCOME JULIE, RACHEL, AND SANDY O!!!!! Blessings to the three of you as we get to know you.

Julie: hope your ds is feeling better this afternoon.

Hi Beth: enjoyed reading your post. Have a good week, OK?

Caterina: Hope you'll share things you learn from your missionary friend. The missionary who was at our church yesterday mentioned the 100 million Christians in China, too. God never gives up; praising Him and His love for all people.

Gloria: When I read Caterina's devotion about how despairing the situation was in China (when the Christians were kicked out)...God never gave up and used the saved Chinese people to continue with His work, I immediately thought about your sister's Buddhist boyfriend...God will not give up, not ever. He will use Christians to bring this man into His fold. Praying.

Gail: I can relate to your lamenting about having trouble getting going today. I, too, seem to sometimes run into that frustration in my life, too.

Rita: Hi! Nice to hear from you. You are so right about how faithful the Lord is to us during stressful situations. I am grateful my Creator always leads me to a quieter place when I feel all jumbled around. And, YES! It is during those times when I come away feeling so strengthened by Him. PTL.

"Than Job replied to the Lord: I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted." Job 41:1-2

Blessings!

caterinafmig 09-22-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieber (Post 11405257)
Good morning and thanks for all the warm welcomes. Catarina, thanks for the wonderful passage. I've heard some of those things regarding China, my niece went on a two month mission trip there about two years ago. This message you shared kind of ties into to what God has really been placing on my heart lately. I have definitely not been spending time where I need to. I have a woman in my life who has become a very good friend and we enjoy spending time together. We're each other's exercise buddies. However, there have been times in recent months that I have been putting time with her above spending time with my family. The other night I even had a dream that my husband and kids just walked out of my life and I had no idea where they were going or if I'd see them again. Really shook me up.

Well, fast forward to today. I get up to discover that my nine year old son has a fever of 102 and threw up during the night. And when he throws up he doesn't wake up in time. So you guessed it, I'm home with a sick kid and lots of laundry. But instead of moaning and groaning like I've done in the past, I see this as an opportunity from God to get him to myself for a while. (though right now he's watching TV and I'm obviously here, lol)

Anyway, that's what's going on with me. Hope all of you are doing well today. It may take me a while to get to "know" everyone here.

Julie, so very sorry your sweet son had a rough night (you, too) but it is always good to look on the brighter side of things. Everything happens for a reason even in middle-of-the-night adventures. :mrgreen:

bostonstamps 09-22-2008 03:08 PM

Hi wonderful women of God!

And welcome to the new subscribers! I try to post on here, but not as often as I'd like.

So, what's a cuttlebug? And what is the difference btwn the cuttlebug, big shot, and cricut?? I'm so not up to date on these things, but would like to put something like that on my Christmas wish list (but only if I get my little craft room cleaned out or I won't have room)!

Love Beth Moore studies! Our church is starting the program, "Giving Christ First Place" next Sunday night! It's a Bible-based lifestyle/weight loss program. I am sooo excited about it. I would like to loose about 30 lbs to be at my pre-pregnancy weight (DD is 3 mos) and then another 10 lbs to be at my wedding weight. I lost nearly 50 lbs after DS was born.

I just bought a new pair of running shoes and when I run, I like to pray and/or meditate on God. Some days it is the only quiet time I have. What do you do for a quiet time/devotions? Any fav spots? times? I still struggle with doing devotions consistently.

Bethhartley 09-22-2008 07:06 PM

Had to post this for you girls.....I thought it was pretty funny.

Girlie Wisdom!

Women over 50 don't have babies because they would put them down and forget where they left them.

A friend of mine confused her Valium with her birth control pills... she has 14 kids but doesn't really care.

One of life's mysteries is how a 2-pound box of
chocolates can make a woman gain 5 lbs.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.

The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Sometimes I think I understand everything, and then I regain consciousness.

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers.

Amazing! You hang something in your closet for a while and it shrinks 2 sizes!

Skinny people irritate me! Especially when they say things like..."You know sometimes I forget to eat!" .....Now I've forgotten my address, my mother's maiden name and
my keys, but I have never forgotten to eat. You have to be a special kind of stupid to forget to eat!

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing and then they marry him.

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day!

SEND THIS TO 5 BRIGHT WOMEN YOU KNOW AND MAKE THEIR DAY!!!

LIVE SIMPLY.....LAUGH OFTEN....LOVE DEEPLY

PolarBear 09-22-2008 07:23 PM

I'm subscribing to the new thread. The other one got so big and I was so behind, that I would never catch up!