Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default My dd has stomach cramps and diarrhea still.....

My daughter has had stomach cramps and diarrhea since Monday late afternoon. I thought it was getting better yesterday but today it start back up again. Her stomach cramps are getting worse and her stools are still rushing right through her body. She is eating and drinking well.

Any suggestions to help stop this other than bananas and cheese??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

My DD had this happen last month. I didn't think she was ever going to get over it. The Dr put her on clear fluids and bananas until her diarrhea got a little better. Then we could intorduce rice, applesauce, and toast until it got better.

I hope your daughter gets to feeling better soon!!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Crimping Master

I suggest going to the chemist and getting a electrolyte (spelling ?) replacement. I don't know what brands you have over there. Last year my 10 year old nephew suddenly started having diarrhoea and then he started vomitting, this went on for 4 days and in this time he went to the doctors twice. They were told it was just a tummy bug and to keep up his fluids. On the 5 day he was so weak he couldn't stand up or let alone walk. My sister-in-law rushed him to the hospital and he was admitted immediately and placed on a IV. His body was eliminating his fluids faster than he could take them in. They said it was still a tummy bug, no one else in the family ever got it and these kids never get sick not even colds.
So please keep up her fluids and get the electrolyte replacement.
Hope she is well again soon
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Crimping Master

Actually cutting out all lactose might help a little bit. Whenever people get a stomach bug they can go through a period of being lactose intolerant. Lactose is actually very hard for the body to digest.

misha is right make sure she stays hydrated. I'd bring her in and get some tests run. It could be Gihardia or one of the other bugs. Sometimes some of the bugs can be treated with antibiotics. Since you're this many days in and it's getting worse I'd take her to the Dr.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

get rid of the cheese...it could make the diarhea worse.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Clear fluids- broth and dry toast, and as has been said on here hydration- in Africa they give children with tummy bugs, water salt and sugar to keep them hydrated and their cells balanced.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree w/getting rid of the cheese. Perhaps try some yogurt or something like Activia.

I am a life artist and love it!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I would suggest Imodium. I had a 10 month spell of diarrhea due to my divorce. It helped immensely and after many tests with the doctor, really Imodium is all there is. .....NO dairy whatsoever. Not even yogurt.

Rice, bananas, toast...if she is sicker than that, just broth.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Has she seen a Dr?

What about the BRAT diet?
Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast?

I could be wrong on that - anyone else know?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #10
Glitter Guru

My son and i had that about two weeks ago---it seemed to go on much longer than a normal stomach bug---but it did go away about 5-6 days it took. We just ate the B-R-A-T diet, as has been mentioned and some yogurt. Not fun at all!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkids3 View Post
She is eating and drinking well.
??
Until the diarrhea has completely stopped you don't want to go back to eating - for a lot of people the intestines can't take it and will "rush everything right through".

24 hours of CLEAR liquids only - broth, gatorade (or pedialyte - how old is she? our pedi recommends that for younger kids**), jello, a little 100% juice no pulp (not too much because it's all sugar. White grape is better than apple) Mild tea. A little soda for older kids. By that time the diarrhea should have stopped for Many hours.

Then 24 hours of "BRAT" Dry toast, dry saltines, banana, rice, cream of rice cereal made with water, some applesauce, chicken broth with rice, instant mashed potatoes if they don't contain dairy-make with water, Continue the clear fluids. NO dairy - no butter, no cheese! No greasy, fatty stuff.Not too bulky on the fiber, but whole wheat toast is ok.

After that, I find it helps me to add good yogurt a couple times a day. Like Stoneyfield, it has lots of "--bacillus" things in it. I love dairy, but I take it easy bringing it back into my diet. I kind of stick to easy to digest foods foods for a while.

A nurse many years back at my former GP's office told me all that when I called for immodium (used to be prescription), and it works. It's a pain! and boring! but it works. I personally find Immodium stops my intestinal motility dead, like cement, for 24-48 hours, during which I'll feel sick as a dog, and I'm still left with intestines that don't remember how to work.

** If your daughter is quite young, this has been going on quite a while, I'd think I'd want her to be seen by her doc.

Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not sure of your daughter's age, but we have used acidopholus to reduce stomach pain. I found it in liquid form at the health food store, and it really helped when mine were suffering from diarhea. I give it to my son regularly know because he has had a lot of stomach issues, and it really helps.