Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Is a manager on a team part of the team?

My DD tried out for volleyball. She killed herself over the last year working on skills and trying to get good enough to make her middle school team. She's an 8th grader and knew that her chances were slim to snag a spot on an established City Champions team. I think there were only three open spots. She didn't make the first cut, which wouldn't have been so hurtful if one of the girls that made the first cut showed up to tryouts without shoes and couldn't hit the ball over the net to save her life. Even Ari's best friend, who has never played before and attended one camp this summer, made the first cut. Ari is happy for her and hopes that she will do well at the second tryout. Her friend is tall and willing to dive for anything. Always helpful in volleyball! LOL

Anyway, she is crushed that she didn't make the first round of cuts, but the coach has offered her a position as 1st manager. He has given her until tomorrow at the end of the day to make her decision. She isn't sure if she wants to do it. I told her that it would be a good learning experience and would give her to opportunity to occasionally hit the ball around and practice her serving. The problem is, she wanted to be on the team to PLAY, not carry equipment.

My question is, does being a manager make her part of the team, or just some girl who wasn't good enough to make the volleyball team? Any insight on how the kids on the team would view her? She's friends with a couple of the girls, not close friends, but friends. If her BF makes it, it would give Ari a chance to go to the games and cheer her on, even the away ones. This is a tight nit group of friends, and I would hate for her to be considered an outsider because she's "just a manager". KWIM

Any insight out there. Suggestions on what she should do? Middle school is tough.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Glitter Queen

The decision is probably already made, but I say take the job as manager. She would be part of the team. It will give her time to be with the girls and she may benefit from the experience of practices, etc. I agree middle school is tough, more so than high school.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebwyoming View Post
The decision is probably already made, but I say take the job as manager. She would be part of the team. It will give her time to be with the girls and she may benefit from the experience of practices, etc. I agree middle school is tough, more so than high school.

Yes, she took the position! She has already gotten to pass with one of the girls because they had an uneven number at practice one day. Her best friend didn't make the team, but did get asked to be a co-manager with her, so it all worked out great!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Glitter Queen

Glad to hear of her decision. I think she will be very happy with it.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

I have always had issues with the "making the team" mentality at schools. Please let me brag on my son.... a high school teacher and coach. His position is that if you come to practice and work hard, you will be in on at least one play in a game. Yes, they lose some games but his win column is longer than his lose column. Better than that, his team feels cohesive and there is no A team/B team/C team rivalry. Managers are considered part of the team. In fact, I take pictures of all the games and then his wife and I make some books for each player. My son gives the photo souvenirs to the players at their end-of-season banquet and he writes to each of them. Those books are in college rooms and are prize possessions. I am proud of my son!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemom View Post
I have always had issues with the "making the team" mentality at schools. Please let me brag on my son.... a high school teacher and coach. His position is that if you come to practice and work hard, you will be in on at least one play in a game. Yes, they lose some games but his win column is longer than his lose column. Better than that, his team feels cohesive and there is no A team/B team/C team rivalry. Managers are considered part of the team. In fact, I take pictures of all the games and then his wife and I make some books for each player. My son gives the photo souvenirs to the players at their end-of-season banquet and he writes to each of them. Those books are in college rooms and are prize possessions. I am proud of my son!
That is awesome! Ari and Taylor are really enjoying being managers. They said that when they were cheerleaders, they would cheer, but they really weren't "into" the games. Now, they cheer and really get into it. They get to go to all the away games, which they didn't get to do as cheerleaders. They are getting to know the "popular" girls on the team and one of them actually spent the weekend with them this weekend. Ari really has no desire to be "popular", but is enjoying making new friends. Both of the girls are getting to do some practicing with the team. Mostly they shag balls, but since there are only 8 on the varsity team, they will play with the two extra players so that they girls can scrimage a bit. The girl that hung out with them this weekend said, "You come to all the practices and games and you are there as much as the players. That makes you part of the team." Yay!