Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default How do you get a possum out of the garage?

I accidentilly left the garage door open too long last night. Totally forgot it wasn't closed. Then this morning going out to my vehicle I notice animal droppings on the floor. Thought maybe neighbor dog got in there. Then after grocery shopping I go to put stuff inthe freezer and see this furry grey thing about 3 ft from me. I totally flipped. Wouldn't even put the groceries in the freezer. I have heard those critters are mean. Ithink it tried to chew the rubber lip off the bottom of my garage door. So I left the door open and am hoping it will just saunter out. Anyone know how to get it out of there without getting bit?

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not sure what they eat, but maybe put some food in the driveway and hopefully it'll wander out to see the food.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

They like birdseed. Put some in the driveway or somewhere close to the garage where it can see it. My parents had one that got into the rubbermaid birdseed container (chewed a hole through it). My dad closed up the hole while it was inside sleeping and put the container out in the field behind them. They were afraid their dog would corner it and get bit!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I promise that I am not trying to be a smartie, but as soon as I saw the title of your thread, the only thing that came to my mind was...

"Very Carefully!"
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
Matboard Maniac

not to hijack, but when we had bigger dogs at my parents home my dad would keep the dog food in one of those big garbage cans and when he went to the trashcan and took the lid off... to his surprise opossum! scare the @#$% out of him!

"Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions."
Cullen Hightower
Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to FromKorea

They like bologna too!!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

They like petfood, too! My parents had one in the neighborhood that would come clean out the dog's dish.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Hot Mess

I have one living in my garage right now! We have an agreement, he doesn't go into the garage until after I put my car away and he's gone when I leave in the morning. It skeeered me to death the first time I opened the door and he was in there! I called the Humane Society but of course, Mr. Possum was gone!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Stampin' Fool

Default Call Animal Control!

Possums can be really mean.....I wouldn't want to try getting it out myself.

My Gallery
Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Mad Swapper

I'm laughing right now, because we had a little one living in our garage for a week or two until I got fed up and chased the little bugger out with my broom. It was eating my cat's food and the cat was getting fed up.

As I chased it out, my cat watched me and, I swear, the cat was cheering me on!

I've not seen the lil' bugger since!

Vera
Old 12-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, let's see...when someone (my DH) left the garage door open all night, one crawled into the cat food bag, which of course I didn't know until I opened the bag to feed the cats and I see these little beady eyes staring at me!! I screamed, ran in the house, slammed the door and locked it (of course, when I relayed this to my DH, he says to me, "what...did you think the possum was gonna come up and knock on the door?" Alright smarty pants, it's there because of you, so you come home and get this thing out of there!!!

So, he procedes to get it out of the bag and then scoops it up with the shovel, goes to throw it outside and throws it right into the wall!! Really, I'm not kidding, he did!! It was like something out of "Three Stooges" skit...finally, after he almost knocked the poor thing out, he managed to scoop it up and shooed it out into the driveway...that was last year, and we've seen neither hide nor hair of Mr. Possum...(probably skeered to death of our house by now!! LOL)
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!

You take off their hats...oh, wait...wrong joke. That's "popes in a Beetle car"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propecia
I have one living in my garage right now! We have an agreement, he doesn't go into the garage until after I put my car away and he's gone when I leave in the morning. It skeeered me to death the first time I opened the door and he was in there! I called the Humane Society but of course, Mr. Possum was gone!
When I read the title of the thread, I had wondered if our resident possum lover would respond!!!

Pro, he's STILL in your garage????????
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
Hot Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusgottastamp
You take off their hats...oh, wait...wrong joke. That's "popes in a Beetle car"...

When I read the title of the thread, I had wondered if our resident possum lover would respond!!!

Pro, he's STILL in your garage????????
Yes. I kick the garage door several times so has time to hide when I put my car away at night! He has left me several "surprises" over the last couple of weeks!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Sabrinasmom

We had one wander up on our front porch about a year ago (although never in the house) it scared the daylights out of me. My dh called Animal Control and of course they said "just leave it alone and it will go away)". Well, the next morning it was dead in our front yard (don't know why). I called my dh at work to tell him and he says...

ARE YOU SURE IT ISN'T PLAYING POSSUM?

I could've reached through that phone and smacked him...needless to say it took dh a few days to get around to cleaning this dead thing up. It had rained in that time frame and yep, you guessed it, this thing filled up with water. So now this thing was several more pounds than it would've been had he taken care of it the first day it died. DH had to shovel this thing into the garbage can and he struggled to lift it because of how heavy it had gotten. Nice huh?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Insane Embellisher

I am patiently waiting for my brother to come get it. In the mean time I have thawed food in the fridge because I refuse to get near the garage. My son has been making a spear out of a stick. He is 8 and thinks he needs to protect his mother from this ferocious beast. At least its not a skunk.

Cindy
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Hot Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderseeker@earthlink.net
I am patiently waiting for my brother to come get it. In the mean time I have thawed food in the fridge because I refuse to get near the garage. My son has been making a spear out of a stick. He is 8 and thinks he needs to protect his mother from this ferocious beast. At least its not a skunk.

Cindy
I feel your pain!! *HUGS*
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #17
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Thank you for the laugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30
Well, let's see...when someone (my DH) left the garage door open all night, one crawled into the cat food bag, which of course I didn't know until I opened the bag to feed the cats and I see these little beady eyes staring at me!! I screamed, ran in the house, slammed the door and locked it (of course, when I relayed this to my DH, he says to me, "what...did you think the possum was gonna come up and knock on the door?" Alright smarty pants, it's there because of you, so you come home and get this thing out of there!!!

So, he procedes to get it out of the bag and then scoops it up with the shovel, goes to throw it outside and throws it right into the wall!! Really, I'm not kidding, he did!! It was like something out of "Three Stooges" skit...finally, after he almost knocked the poor thing out, he managed to scoop it up and shooed it out into the driveway...that was last year, and we've seen neither hide nor hair of Mr. Possum...(probably skeered to death of our house by now!! LOL)

Thanks for the laugh...I just about fell off my chair. I can picture all of this as plain as day.

We have one or two that like into our Garage. and lay under the heat lamp that Dh has in his garage. Also they like the bird seed and corn for the squirrels that we keep out there.
But they do like CAT Food very much!

When we have Stray cat's I would always feed them by the back door. So I would know that they were getting fed and water.
Well every night after the kitties were done with the food.
The Racoons and Possum would come up next and eat what was left.
I never let these critter eat from the same bowls as the kitties. So they would just sit there and eat off the ground.

After all the kitties left I would have the Racoons and possum still come and sit at my back door.
The racoon would knock on the door for food...I kid you not!

One thing you want to stay clear of is the possum cause they really Nasty and Mean!!
So don't p--- them off or you'll be sorry.

Leave some Cat food outside away from the garage and it will leave on it's own.

They are just trying to find a Warm place to stay and of course eat.....
Old 12-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #18
Stampin' Fool

Why don't you get a live trap and catch it?? I have done this before and it was really easy. After you catch the critter call your local humane society and they will come pick up the animal and return the trap to you.

Angelina
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
Chat Box Chick

Maybe if you leave the garage door open when it gets dark he will leave. Seems to me that the only time I ever see them is when it is dark outside. Maybe he will wander out just like he wandered in? Or maybe I should drive past your house. They seem to like running out in front of my car.

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 AM   #20
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

Possums *are* mean, but they don't see very well, either. He's probably scared of you, too.

I agree with the suggestion about a live trap. We bought one to deal with squirrels in the attic, and field mice in the garage, eating the birdseed. We never caught any squirrels - they moved out at the right time, thank goodness, before we sealed up the hole they'd chewed to get in. We caught one field mouse, named him "Tooter" and promptly let him go because we didn't have the heart to kill him. He ran away and we started storing our birdseed in something he couldn't get into.

Penny
Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #21
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=Sabrinasmom]We had one wander up on our front porch about a year ago (although never in the house) it scared the daylights out of me. My dh called Animal Control and of course they said "just leave it alone and it will go away)". Well, the next morning it was dead in our front yard (don't know why). I called my dh at work to tell him and he says...

ARE YOU SURE IT ISN'T PLAYING POSSUM?

OH MY GOSH.........I've never laughed so hard. That's funny! Sorry, I'd been mad to but ha ha! And that's what your dh gets for leaving it out there so long before getting rid of it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MelenaPrincess Send a message via Yahoo to MelenaPrincess

I had one living under my shed last year. We came back after Thanksgiving and he was under there scared me and the dog.

I did some research and found out the following:

-They usually only stay in one home for about 3 days and then move on (as long as they are able.)

-They cannot dig because their hands are too sensitive, so they move in where other critters have moved out. So, if you have a hole in your yard dug by someone else, once it is clear of all critters, fill it immediately and the possum cannot move in.

-For some unknown reason cats and possum have an agreement to leave one another alone. Dogs however were not in on this deal, so you need to be careful when letting your dog out.

-They Love catfood (wet is easier for them to eat) and Tuna. If you want him out, wait until dusk and put some outside. Keep an eye out and when he leaves the garage close the door.

Hope that helps. Really, he only ended up staying for a couple of days and then moved on.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Well I left the garage door open for more than 24 hours and I believe he left. I even set food in the garage just in case he is just hiding on me. So far no more critter. But he did leave damage behind. While trying to get out the first night he broke right through the wires of my garage door opener. So my keypad and remote don't work. It was brand new. He also chewed on the rubber lip on the bottum of the door. I would have never thought that would happen.

I tried to leave food outside the garage for him. It got covered in snow. About 8 inches of it. Can you imagine how crazy my neighbors must think I am. With major snow fall going on I leave my garage open.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #24
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Where's skunkie? Maybe skunkie would know what to do.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #25
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Should this happen again, you can always borrow a Hav-A-Heart trap from your local shelter. Bait it with food and when the 'possum eats it, the door slams shut. You or dh can then safely release him to the wild. But you really shouldn't have to do a thing. He'll leave as long as no food is available or in inaccessible containers--metal garbage cans with locks.

Rainsong
Old 12-17-2005, 03:19 AM   #26
Inking Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jlangley

wow, Glad I found this post, I have had trouble with these critters for the last 3 days, maybe they will leave today, My hubby says they wont hurt you? hmm. glad I didnt believe him. The only way I could get him out of the door way was to send my white Lab in. He didnt hurt the ugly creature just moved him outta my way, My 4 year old daughter saw him yesterday came in screeming, Mommy there is a big mouse outside with a long tail...get him!