Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Graphing/Chart question for Science Project

I put this in the Talented Teacher's forum too, but I thought maybe I should put it in this forum too!

Hello!

Well it's that time of year again when my house turns into Science Central! Thankfully, this is the last year for science projects. Four years in a row is just too much for me. LOL

Anyway, my ds is interested in doing his science project on how to best clean oil from a birds feathers. With the devastating oil spills that we had not too long ago, it is something that has peaked his interest. Even though it's not a difficult science project to carry out, I do think that the results will be very educational for him. Last year he did his science project on the effects of driving while talking on a cell phone. He received first place at his school and received 5th place at Regionals.

Anyway, we are thinking of using different types of cleaning agents (water, water and dish soap, water and body soap, vinegar, etc...) and also different types of tools (washrag, toothbrush, cottenballs, etc...)to clean with. Here is where I am stumped. How would he graph this information? I'm sure there are a bunch of different ways, but I just can't wrap my head around it. He must include a graph that shows his results. Does anyone have any ideas on how he could go about this.

He must include

Question
Hypothesis
Materials
Procedure
Data (This is where the graph comes in)
Conclusion

He also must write a report including all of his research and results.

We are fine on all of the above except for that darn graph.

Any ideas?

TIA

Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

I was thinknig something similar to this. Is this even considered a chart/graph since it's not done in excel and doesn't have numbers?
Attached Files
File Type: docx Chart.docx (12.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Stampin' Fool

How about a bar graph with "minutes to clean" on the side and "type of cleaning agents" on the bottom. Then you could add different colored bars going up--one color for each type of tool. You would have to add a key to the different colors referencing the different tools.

Maybe a second chart too with "minutes to clean" on the side and "type of tool" on the bottom. Then your colored bars would represent the different cleaning agents....just to show another way of looking at your data.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl-ny View Post
How about a bar graph with "minutes to clean" on the side and "type of cleaning agents" on the bottom. Then you could add different colored bars going up--one color for each type of tool. You would have to add a key to the different colors referencing the different tools.

Maybe a second chart too with "minutes to clean" on the side and "type of tool" on the bottom. Then your colored bars would represent the different cleaning agents....just to show another way of looking at your data.

So instead of cleaning each feather for 2 minutes and see what the results are, actually see how many minutes it takes to get the feather as clean as possible?. That would totally work. We could then do the third chart something like what I had attached to kind of give a quick overview of the results. Excellent, Good, Poor. I guess we would need a point of reference for that though, like what equals excellent. I suppose that would be complete removal of oil. Good could be most of the oil is removed. Poor could be little to none of the oil is removed. This could work. The minute thing is a great idea! Love it!

Thank you!