Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Watercolor Wizard

Default Embarassing question about teenage boy B.O.

So, I have a certain son who is 12, and, uh...he really smells most of the time, including right after a shower. And he has for a few years now. I've sent DH in with him several times to demonstrate the proper way to scrub in the shower, I've bought special deodorant/anti-bacterial/24hour bodywashes, and I've hounded him about the use of deodorant until I'm blue in the face, but he still smells. And I know he wears the deodorant because I've seen the stuff caked under his arms.

I talked to my son's doctor about it wondering if it could be some kind of weird hormonal thing (you know, aside from good old fashioned puberty), or maybe something else and he just shrugged and said some kids are stinkier than others.

I also mentioned it to my MIL and she laughed and told me my husband stunk really bad as a teenager too. (Really? 'Cause if I'd known that it could have been a dealbreaker.)

I know I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell, but this kid makes my eyes water sometimes, and I feel bad saying it, but yeah, it's embarrassing. I hate to keep pointing it out to him, but I want him to be aware of it, yet I don't want to wreck his self esteem if it's really something out of his control, you know?

So, can anyone tell me, in your experience, is this pretty normal? I don't have any brothers, so all this boy stuff is still new to me. Will it calm down as he goes through puberty? How would you handle it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Crimping Master

My girlfriend went through this with her son at the same age. Their family doctor referred him to a dermatologist and learned about his sweat glands and ducts. He prescribed a medication that he took for a couple of years through the puberty stage and she says it was the best thing she ever did. Her son was so much happier as well. Good Luck, I wish you all the best.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

How much water does your son drink? I remember reading somewhere that BO could be caused by dehydration.

Also, I suspect that there are several of his peers with the same problem. I wonder if the teachers at that age will have any suggestions

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!

Last edited by wendy-o; 12-24-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I never considered talking to a dermatologist about it, so that's a new idea. My son actually drinks quite a bit of water, Wendy, so I don't think that's it, but I guess you never know.