Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #1
Duchess of Dork

Default Did you play with toy guns & would you let your kids?

I'm sure my brothers had toy guns (they were 5 & 8 years older than I am, so by the time I have memories of playing, I think they were beyond that stage.) I KNOW they had GI Joe & little green army men! My dh played w/ toy guns, bows & arrows, etc. I never did, but I was pretty girly.

I know this COULD evolve into a heated gun control discussion. All I want to know is did YOU play w/ toy guns & would YOU let your child do so (and why/why not)?

I ask b/c in the dollar store today my daughter (6) who tends to be an aggressive angry child, saw a set of police stuff, gun, handcuffs, etc. She wanted the handcuffs, but I didn't want to get a toy gun that was with it. Because of her personality, I really didn't even want the handcuffs. When we were little, kids played "cops & robbers" all the time, and "cowboys & Indians" (remember, that was before we knew to say Native Americans, so please understand why I wrote that). We watched old westerns & even some police shows. It was always the good guys w/ guns who fought evil & the bad guys w/ guns who lost in those shows. It wasn't street violence, etc. that we see on TV now (well, I don't watch that & certainly not my kids, but it's out there). I don't have boys, so this has never come up before (other than when my older dd first learned about guns---probably from her grandpa---DIL & talked about shooting people & we had to talk to her about it). I'm not anti-gun. I do think it is a constitutional right. But, I didn't grow up w/ them in my house. My dh did, but does not own one. I suspect if anything ever happened that we needed protection, he might have one, but right now we don't. I had a friend in jr. high who was accidentally shot & died when another child found a gun. Most gun owners are careful, I know, but this planted a horrible memory in my mind.

Enough explanation. Just curious. Do your kids play with toy guns & have you seen any repurcussions (sp?) because of it?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I pretty much didn't want to bring toy guns into the house when they were little. Well, I have no idea where he got the idea, but DS put his Duplo blocks together in the shape of an L and was "shooting" with it! Hello? All he ever saw on TV was Sesame Street and Misterogers! LOL

But no ill effects.

I believe that if you have guns in your house, you need to teach your children to respect them and be comfortable around them. Probably not at the toddler age but whatever.

Now? No repercussions. He didn't play with his fake guns much.

He's 14 now, a Boy Scout, has a pocket knife and very responsible about it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 06-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Dorinda Send a message via Yahoo to Dorinda

I am sure that my bro and I did have plenty of toy guns when we were little, and neither of us is a homicidal maniac. We were also raised in a home with a father who hunted and owned guns. We NEVER went near the guns!! we never even dreamed of going near them or messing with them. We knew they were not to play with and we knew that guns kill. In todays world I think a lot is de-senitized, our movies and TV programs are much more realistic than they ever used to be, much more graphic all that stuff.But........when I became a parent and through years of school shootings etc...in the media and gangs and such I decided that I would have a zero tolerance for vilont toys and forbid toy guns for my kids.....well.......my youngest DS is 7 and even though he hasn't had any toy guns, he will make anything a gun with his imagination!! Legos, sticks, whatever......I still won't buy them though. I had a similar experience in the dollar store with a police set, I caved and bought the set, he got the hand cuffs and I threw the gun away. DH wasn't exactly happy about the cuffs but I saw it as middle ground.

anyway, I know the struggle and I know things were so very different when I was a kid, you know back in the 'old days'. Part of the problem I see is that manufacturers are making toy guns too realistic looking, we even have stuff on the news about police asking parents not to let thier kids have toy guns that look like the real thing. At that point it reinforces my feelings about no toy guns for my kids.
wow enough from me...LOL

Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
Crimping Master

Hi, toys guns were 1 thing I put my foot down with from the very beginning. I don't understand why people think it is OK to give a 2 Y/O a toy gun. Any presents that came into my house at that age promptly left before DS could even see what it was. OK - fast forward a couple of years. DS enters Pre-K this past Sept and every other kid knows what a guns is/has toy guns at home. Why??? These are the most rambunctious and aggressive of the kids (IMHO). Now I find DS running around the house with a wrapping paper tube shooting invisible ghosts. We had a long talk about guns and their purpose. He had quite a few misconceptions about reality and the effects of a bullet (of course this was phrased for an almost 5 Y/O to comprehend). We did breakdown and buy a supersoaker this summer but keep correcting when he calls it a gun (semantics I know but it feels like a small victory) and use the term "Water Pistol". He doesn't know gun and pistol are synonymous, he thinks pistol is a term for a water shooting machine.

Just how we handle things here in LaLa Land-
Cyn

"I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind." Emily Bronte
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorinda
I am sure that my bro and I did have plenty of toy guns when we were little, and neither of us is a homicidal maniac. We were also raised in a home with a father who .... owned guns. We NEVER went near the guns!! we never even dreamed of going near them or messing with them. We knew they were not to play with
Same here....one rule that was drilled into our heads was that you NEVER point a gun at someone, even a toy one. The ONLY thing you could point at someone was a water gun. We had cap guns and were never allowed to point it at anybody. When we were pre-teens, our dad taught us how to shoot. Seems like my little brother might have had a BB gun at some point...

This is one of those topics for which there is no pat answer....good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Nope. My mom was a pacifist and wouldn't let us play with guns. We weren't even allowed to make guns out of sticks, our fingers, or Legos and go "bang bang." We were allowed to have squirt bottles (not guns) and garden hoses in the summer and we were allowed to "shoot" each other with those.

I also don't purchase my children guns. I do allow them to make "guns" out of sticks, their fingers or Legos and we have had some very dramatic death scenes (think old westerns). And I am purchasing my son a super soaker or something like that for his birthday (unbeknownst to him his sisters will have a matching pair at home) Of course the super soaker doesn't look anything like a gun and most likely my kids will play with them as water toys rather than weapons.

I just have this issue with handing a kid a "toy" that looks like an AK-57 and saying, "Here, go outside and *play*." I see it as another thing if the AK-57 is made out of a tree branch and the child evolves it into their play rather than having their play based around the gun.

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How *** granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Old 06-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

we have about 10 guns in the house, plus dh is a state trooper. so we have our own little arsenol. back to the subject:

i had toy guns, dh had toy guns as a kid, my kids have toy guns. BUT they have been taught no pointing at a person AT ALL.
Our weapons all have gun locks on them. If the kids can't obey the rules when they play with their guns, they get taken away for a few days. Simple.
They are taught to respect the guns, proper way to hold them, etc. (ds1 is 4 1/2 and knows how to carry the gun, etc.)
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
Mad Swapper

My kids are all grown. I didn't want them to have toy guns, but my SIL got my oldest son a gun and holster. He loved it. They all used anything to pretend it was a gun. (Bananas, paper tubes, fingers) I didn't want them to pretend to hurt someone. I still don't like guns. I don't know if I was right or wrong. We played with toy guns when I was a child, and we are all non-violent. I think some of the video games may be more graphic, and show more violence. The Lone Ranger was my hero. He never killed anyone, and only went after the bad guys. I don't think we have those heros any more.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
SCS Moderator

We do not buy Cam toy guns (or "shooters" as he calls them) but I know when he goes on playdates that is what he heads to 1st.

And he might get like a "science fictiony ray" gun for his birthday (that has crazy lights and makes a wheeeew wheeeeew sound, LOL).
I personally would not buy him any that look realistic, and even with his light saber we have a staunch rule that there is no hitting of any people OR the dog, and he has held on to that.

Like many of you have said, he makes "shooters" out of anything-the letter F, the letter L, tabletop picture easels, anything at all!

In one of my classes we read a short book about the subject called "We don't play guns here." (I *think-or something close).
If you have ever worked in a daycare, you might have heard that phrase
Anyway, it was a very interesting and about how children play guns/good guy/bad guy as a way of dealing with things in their lives and learning about rights and wrongs. It really had interesting viewpoints and information in it. It was especially interesting to me b/c I lived on a military base, so many parents worked with guns/weapons at one point or another, so we had many kids who had "gun play."

Anyway, sorry for rambling, there's my 2 cents

Old 06-28-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
Kookie Creator

Because of Colombine, almost all schools (including elementary schools) have a ZERO tolerance for guns...and that includes toy ones. capguns, squirt guns, pellet guns, potato guns...all of them are contraband. So if you let your kids play with guns, PLEASE make sure they never ever ever take them to school, or they will be expelled. Not suspended...EXPELLED!

Check with your school policy and you'll see that its nothing to mess with. For that reason alone, in my opinion, its not worth letting them play with guns.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
The Digi-Freak

Dude, who needs a gun? Emily's boys make guns out of pretzels, legos, baby dolls, strollers, fingers, boogers, and more!

I seriously had no idea how crazy boys are about shooting things! Libby is all snuggling a baby doll and her boys are shooting the walls?? whatever!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to SellsBskts Send a message via Yahoo to SellsBskts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakimberly
Dude, who needs a gun? Emily's boys make guns out of pretzels, legos, baby dolls, strollers, fingers, boogers, and more!

I seriously had no idea how crazy boys are about shooting things! Libby is all snuggling a baby doll and her boys are shooting the walls?? whatever!
I have 2 boys and a girl. They will make bananas into guns. We don't need to purchase them...they just make them.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Nope, I never played with even *pretend* guns when I was little...my dad had a hunting rifle, but now that i think about it, I don't think I even knew where it was! LOL

My DH grew up with guns (hunting, mainly) and once we had children we bought a lock for my FIL gun cabinet and said we would not be visiting again until it was used. This was after we found our 2 yo (at the time) opening the doors to the gun cabinet and staring at all the rifles!

My DH has a hunting rifle, but it is stored in the basement (hidden, actually) and we don't have any ammo in the house. I just don't see any need to have guns in the house AT ALL.

Just my 2 cents...

My children are not allowed to even have toy guns in the house or receive them as gifts...they also are not allowed to pretend shoot anything...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #14
The Digi-Freak

Emily would like to add waffles, potato chips, and pizza to the "things you can make into a gun" category"

Old 06-28-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to SellsBskts Send a message via Yahoo to SellsBskts

Oh, yeah forgot about pizza crust guns...what is it with boys. My DD looks at them like...what planet are you from!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #16
Total Quack

ROTFL!! Kimberly ...that's too funny about Emily's boys. And I can totally relate!

Yes ... we did have guns when I was a kid. In fact, I blew my mom's mind when all I wanted for Christmas was a toy gun. It was fine with her ... and I got it. I also grew up shooting handguns with my daddy ... one of my very favorite memories. I'm still a really good shot, too!! LOL!! I was *taught* about guns, though, and my kids have been, too. They know where the guns are in the house and how to use them. They also know that we don't EVER point at anything that we don't *intend* to kill - even if it is only a BB gun we are using. They have never been allowed to aim toy guns at people. Heck ... we even have some rules like that with the Super Soakers because some of those are powerful and hurt if they hit you directly. Anyway, my kids are really good kids. They are 14 and 9 and have total respect for guns. My oldest really wants to be a cop. We'll see how that goes. He was also given a nice pellet gun when he was 10. I think that guns are like any other thing - kids and adults MUST be taught to respect their power and purpose.

Photography Site

Old 06-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to Sairabee

I was a girly girl, but I did have a cap gun and a water pistol. I also had something that looks like and made sounds like a taser. LOL. I was wayyy ahead of my time in 1983. I was an only child living in the country so there was no one around to point the guns at even if I tried! I was, however, taught at a very young age how to handle and respect fire arms. My grandfather taught me how to shoot a gun and a bow by the time I was about 6-7 years old.

I don't have children yet, so I don't want to say whether I would or wouldn't allow the same. I am leaning towards yes, but who knows. Only time will tell!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #18
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Z.
Because of Colombine, almost all schools (including elementary schools) have a ZERO tolerance for guns...and that includes toy ones. capguns, squirt guns, pellet guns, potato guns...all of them are contraband. So if you let your kids play with guns, PLEASE make sure they never ever ever take them to school, or they will be expelled. Not suspended...EXPELLED!

Check with your school policy and you'll see that its nothing to mess with. For that reason alone, in my opinion, its not worth letting them play with guns.
Hmmmmm, expelling kids----that's an idea----since I homeschool.....might be kind of a good proposition!

That is good advice for schools, though. I've heard on the news of kids being expelled for toy guns.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #19
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

We have guns in our house. Hunting guns and ones for personal protection if heaven forbid they were ever needed.Yes,if I was placed in a situation of protecting myself or my grandchildren I would/could use them. With total accuracy.

These are stored/locked out of reach of children and adults alike. Ammo is stored separately and also under lock and key.

I am required by the state to tell my daycare parents we own guns. I have only had 1 parent refuse to leave her child here.

My children were raised around hunting and guns. They knew from a very young age exactly what a bullet would do to an animal/person. They were taught to have the greatest respect for them.They now respect them as adults with children of their own.

My daycare children are not allowed to bring guns from home. I do not have them here for them to play with. I do this out of respect for my parents. It is not that I think it would be harmful to them to play with them but they are not my kids so I try to be more careful.

My nephews(14 & 16)both have their own gun. These are kept in a safe with a combination lock that they do not have. They cannot get to these guns without their father being present at all times. They are being taught to have a great respect for this deadly weapon. I have always felt safer knowing that if the boys(when they were younger) came across a gun by accident they would know exactly what it was,what it was capable of doing and to immediately go get an adult without ever picking it up.

Way,way more than my $.02 worth.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #20
Matboard Maniac

Yes, I was around both toy and real guns as a child. As GrannyHawkins said, I knew what they would do and I totally respected them. Now DH is a police Lt. and an avid hunter, so we have them in our house as well. They are locked up in a gun safe, and even I'm not sure where the key is. Since my children have been "raised at the police dept." they really don't pay any attention to the guns. They know what they will do and they know not to go anywhere near them. (It is amazing to see kids who are never around guns meet my dh, that is the first thing they talk about and want to touch when they see DH in uniform. Needless to say, he doesn't allow them to.) The children recevied their first rifle for Christmas, but only get it out with Daddy.

As for toys, we didn't have them for the longest, but both DD and DS made them out of things anyway. Now they have a few but really aren't interested in playing with them.

As a teacher, they are totally off limits in my classroom. Even the ones made out of Legos, sticks, pencils......I constantly remind kids that guns are not allowed at school.
Phil 4:13

:) Niecybug

Please visit my gallery :)
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=45933
Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #21
Rubber Obsessor

I don't remember my sister or myself having any interest in toy guns. My stepdad did take us hunting once, but he was so aggravated at the noise we made that he sent us home.

My older son (8 yrs old) has never really had an interest either. However, my younger son (5) has always loved playing with guns. He is one of those kids mentioned above that would make a gun out of anything. We live in a rural area where hunting is very common. At age three my youngest son would prefer to watch DVD's about hunting over disney movies. At three and a half he asked santa for a deer rifle and said it was the only thing he wanted. He did get one for Christmas and initially played "hunting" all of the time. He has been taught all we can about the dangers/safety issues about guns. But, because he has seemed so interested in firearms we do take extra caution to teach him to respect the dangers, etc. In addition all firearms in our home are protected with child safety locks and hidden. I carry a firearm everday for work and because it is concealed and put away right when I get home I do not even think he knows about it. The wierd thing is that his interest doesn't seem as strong now that he has his own little gun. He may be growing out of it.

I do think it is important to teach the dangers of firearms. I feel a child is at risk of coming into contact with firearms even if a family doesn't own them. The older children are the more they go to other families homes. I want to make sure my sons know what to do if they ever see a firearm somewhere (don't touch, get an adult, etc.)

I wish you the best in your decision. It is difficult and one that I'm sure is different for every family.

(Sorry to have rambled on so much)

Good luck.

Karen
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't allow guns in my house because my husband woke up once when I was about eight months pregnant and on my way to the bathroom and he thought I was a burglar and was pointing this 357 straight at me. Talk about having the s**t scared out of you.

My son was infatuated with guns when he was little. Everything was turned into a gun. I was so concerned that I brought it up to my pediatrician. She said it was a boy thing, her son made his carrots into guns and she said not to worry about it.

I agree with those who have carefully educated their children and apply consequences to mis-use. I think my son would have had a better perspective if I had been better educated myself.

Karen
Old 06-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #23
Crimping Master

Yes, I played with toy guns and so did my brothers. Yes, I let my kids play with toy guns. And before they even had toy guns, they used other things as toy guns.

I'm not trying to start any arguments - just stating how we feel about the issue. We own guns and believe they are "tools" for lack of a better word. They are used for hunting and protection. We have guns in our house, but our kids don't even know where we keep them. Each of our kids (boys - 10 and 12) have guns in our collection that they are allowed to shoot with our supervision and instruction (of course). We've taught them to have respect for guns and to understand what a gun can do - the dangers and the ways it can be used for hunting and protection.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #24
Insane Embellisher

My sisters and I had guns to play with as children. My son and daughter both played with guns. My son had a boatload of guns, GI Joes and all the stuff that goes with that play. I'm sure in his mind he blew up every piece of furniture I owned with his GI Joe tank or rocket launcher.

Like everyone else, "guns" were there if you bought them or not... legos, bananas, you name it. We also had the "don't point at people" rule. We also had a few hunting guns in the house. They were on a wall rack so the kids grew up seeing them but never touched them. The ammo was locked away in a different place.

Both kids are adults now. They have some feisty political opinions but other than that they are as laid back as you can get. Neither had any social problems growing up or any brushes with the law or school authorities.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #25
Mad Swapper

My DH and I have decided that it would be best to not have any guns (real or toy) in the house. While I know that guns don't kill people, people kill people, I do not feel comfortable with them. We do not allow the children to have toys guns (with the occassional exception of a brightly colored water gun).

With the Star Wars craze upon us, we had to discuss the whole WEAPON issue. We have decided to allow lightsabers in the house. Well, along with the lightsabers came all of the other GUNS.... we're handling it as it comes along.

I am perfectly fine with what you do at your house. If you allow your child to play with toy guns, I just hope that the kids are being taught the responsible way to play.
Last year, my children were playing at a neighbor's house. My DD & the neighbor's DS started screaming & hollaring. We seperated the 2 of them for a few minutes (they have a tendency to 'compete' with one another).
Once we got home, my DD started crying hysterically. I couldn't understand why. Finally, she told me that this boy took a toy gun, put it to her head & pulled the trigger. This scared the CRAP out of her. She didn't sleep for days!!!!!
This boy dresses up in army fatigues and plays army on a constant basis. The father video tapes the boys 'battles'. He has even come to my house with toy guns & told my kids that the Germans are evil & they should all be killed. Obviously, this child is being taught about guns & war, but not being taught responsibly. We have since decided that our children are no longer allowed to play with him.

Man.. I went off on a tangent. Sorry... but this is something that has been weighing heavily on my heart.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM   #26
Crimping Master

I was raised with 2 older brothers… they played cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians on a daily basis. I played too. My dad is an avid hunter and gun collector. He also was the Mississippi Bow champion in 1976. From an early age I was taught a respect for guns and was given my first gun at the age of 12 (a deer rifle). I was given a pistol for my protection at 16 that stayed locked in the glove compartment of my car. I had BB guns when I was about 8, pellet guns and bb and pellet pistols…

My mother has a collection of old toy pistols with holsters. When she was young she said that she was so poor that they could not afford the Roy Rogers and other specialty guns that were so popular when she was a kid. She has been buying them for my son since before he was born. She has paid a small fortune for what is now a trunk full of treasures that both her, my ds and dd now enjoy.

My son got his first deer rifle at age 6… killed his first deer at age 7. He completed the hunter safety course before he went hunting (of course he was supervised by my father during the hunting trips) but the game wardens were impressed at the knowledge my son displayed about guns and gun safety.

I guess in the south it’s more of a way of life…. I was raised with them hanging on the walls, in gun cabinets and in open areas of the house. Our guns are now separated from the ammunition… most are in a rather large gun safe and the ammunition is stored in a separate place. The ones that are still on display are older collector weapons with no access to ammo. We do have several (my father has one as do I) in the house in areas that children CANNOT reach for protection.

I do think kids are different now days… The violence on TV is worse… The video games where you shoot people in the head… we take all the precautions now to make sure children do not have access to guns… When I was growing up I never would have thought of touching a gun without my father’s permission… but you never know… especially if you have other kids visiting yours.

Like I said… we have real guns and my kids play with toy guns… they are taught a respect for guns and what they can do… but we take all the precautions necessary to make sure that our children or others do not have access to either guns or ammo… except under supervised conditions…

Angie
Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #27
Insane Embellisher

This is just such a hard decision to make, I really think it depends on the child. Obviously if your child had a constant fascination with guns, you might be concerned, but as stated previously, boys will be boys, and they seem to want to shoot "guns" with anything, whether its a pizza crust or pretzel. Male Testosterone??!!! I don't know!

But with all the violence in this world now,like the Columbine shootings, it really makes one think twice about what we allow our children to "play" with, and how they perceive the whole idea. Have you seen some of the video games the kids play? Talk about realistic, shooting a gun would be second nature to a kid after spending any period of time playing those things. Now after all this being said, both my sons, now 20 & 18, played with toy guns, and it hasn't affected either of them, neither of them hunt, or care to. Neither has a fascination with guns or firearms of any kind. Like I said, it really depends on the child, don't you think?

My blog:
http://stylishcreationsbydebbie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

No guns, real or fake. Let son make guns out of toast, etc. That's harmless and apparently a necessary phase for boys! However, I was always concerned that a toy gun could be mistaken for a real one and someone would freak and blow away my son. So -- no guns.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #29
Duchess of Dork

Wow, so much good info! Thanks! It's funny that dh & I were brought up in homes w/ very similar political & religious beliefs, but this is one area our parents were very different in. My dad never hunted, so never had a rifle. He never had a pistol til my DIL gave him one! I think he gave it back eventually. Dh on the other hand, though an only child, had plenty of relatives who hunted & his dad has a collection of guns. Now, here is what bothered me. They had them just laying under a bed. Unloaded, but STILL, accessible to my kids. They don't know if a gun is loaded or not, and, God forbid, they should ever find one that for some reason was loaded, well, I can't even imagine it. I don't know where his guns are now. He doesn't hunt. I know he has a pistol & that is probably in his nightstand. He has early stage parkinsons though, so I'd be afraid he might not be able to control it. Dh hunted once, killed a deer & decided he really didn't like hunting. Though he'll take the venison any time he can!

I didn't get to talk to dh about this incident yet. My concern with our younger dd is that she is already so aggressive & hits her sister a lot (we have a lot of issues to work with in her & then sister is autistic---loads of fun!). She is very impulsive, even on medication. So, for her I think there are plenty of other activities. If she wants toy handcuffs, I can go to Wal-Mart & look for those.

Oh, dh & I discussed the whole gun issue one night (protection guns by the bed type thing). I said I didn't think I could shoot someone & then said I'd rather someone shoot me than the girls. His comment, in support of guns in the house was, "Would you rather they grow up without a mother?" Maybe I'd be willing to get a stun gun or something. Though, I always call my Pampered Chef Chef's knife my "STay at home alone knife!" Thankfully dh is always home at night.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #30
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3insd
we have about 10 guns in the house, plus dh is a state trooper. so we have our own little arsenol. back to the subject:

i had toy guns, dh had toy guns as a kid, my kids have toy guns. BUT they have been taught no pointing at a person AT ALL.
Our weapons all have gun locks on them. If the kids can't obey the rules when they play with their guns, they get taken away for a few days. Simple.
They are taught to respect the guns, proper way to hold them, etc. (ds1 is 4 1/2 and knows how to carry the gun, etc.)
I grew up playing with toy guns, and DH did too. We almays made DH's son play by the rules - a toy gun was treated the same as a real gun and if it wasn't it was put away for a few days. IMHO they need to learn early that guns are to be taken lightly, even in play.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #31
Kookie Creator

Grew up with a sister, no guns. Don't buy toy guns, but DS does the boy thing and fashions them out of everything and anything. And we've got a yard full of super soakers!!
SCS #7660

(Ooops! Gotta fix that avatar - scary!!!)
Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #32
Pearl-ExPert

Ummmm....what happened to all the posts out of the middle of this thread? Am I losing it or are there a whole bunch of missing posts?