Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Carpet got wet, now it STINKS! ??

Our toilet leaked during the night a couple nights ago, not yucky toilet matter, just water. Anyway, it leaked out onto our closet that's behind that bathroom. Well, when we got up that morning we realized it and cleaned out the closet and sopped up what we could, and then put fans on it. It's now pretty dry (fans still on it!) and STINKS so bad. Is there anything we can do? Febreze just isn't cutting it!
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to Sairabee

Is the carpeting made of wool (or does it have some percentage of wool in it)? That's the only thing I can think of that would make it stink when it's wet, and unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix it! I would call a carpeting/flooring store in town and ask them. I'm sure they would have lots of ideas for you...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

A whole cooler of water spilled in our van and it stunk so bad. I put fans in it and the smell just didn't go away. My mom suggested vinegar. I got a spray bottle and mixed vinegar with water. about 50/50. It smelled like vinegar for a day or 2 but the smell went away and the van no longer stunk. You could also use a dehumidifier too. HTH!

V
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

If in your area, and I am sure that you do, call a place (carpet cleaners) that deals with water damage.

Something similar to this happen in our old home, execpt our basement leaked everytime it rained really hard. The water cameup through the floor.

They do a pretty good job at cleaning up what may have been "left" behind and the solvents that they use will clean up the smell too.

Be aware of the price- sometimes it can be hefty. So check around first. Also if things are moved out of the way in the room or adjoining rooms ask for "empty room discount".

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Crimping Master

Thanks so much ladies
It's just our closet and the rest of the house has very little carpet, so I don't know if calling a cleaner would be worth it, you know, they'd have to lug out all of their equipment for a closet. If the vinegar doesn't work, or the carpet place doesn't help much, than I will definetly call the cleaner!!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

You can also try a product called Odo-Ban. I get it at Sam's Club, and I did see it at Wal-Mart last time. I use it to get rid of smells everywhere! We have a farm, and I use it on the guys boots so my porch doesn't smell. I put it in the laundry and it even gets the pig smell out of the clothes (and nothing takes that awful smell out!).

Good luck!
SCS Member #1254
Old 06-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Inking Addict

If it still smells you need to pull up the carpet from the closet area and remove the padding from underneath. The padding is still wet and that is why it stinks. After pulling the padding out put something like a bucket under the carpet turned upside down to dry carpet from underneath. After carpet is completely dry on the bottom then have new padding put under carpet, restretch and retack. You can then clean the carpet and it should be like new and smell will be gone. I am in property management and have had to do this more than once. Hope this helps.

Loretta

SCS Member # 44697
Loretta