Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #2641
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, ladies! Sorry it's been so long since I've last checked in -- still in Virginia for now, but my sister and I will be on our way to Texas in the next couple of days!

I have no idea what all of your musical tastes are, but on K-Love today the deejay mentioned that MercyMe's tour bus was involved in a wreck on Saturday in Indiana with a car that abruptly turned in front of them, and at last report two passengers in the car were killed... three if you also count the driver's unborn baby. No one in the tour bus was hurt. He asked for prayer for both the members of the band, and the families of the people in the other vehicle.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #2642
Matboard Maniac

Hi Rachel good to hear from you. I like MercyMe, sorry to hear of the accident. Prayers going out now.
Gloria glad to hear everything is okay, extra parts aren't always a bad thing to have. I too have a tumor thing that the doc says is just a fatty thing, it's on my back, no big deal.
Hve a good evening everyone
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #2643
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana's cookies View Post
A busy week but I was blessed abundantly on Friday when the Dr. called after my CT and told me the soft tissue mass ended up with me having an extra rib!!! (and it was pushing up the tissue with my body changing with age), after my colonscopy the last time I was told I had way too much colon for someone my size so now starting to wonder if I have other parts extra I didn't know about.....the shadow in my chest ended up being arthritis on my rib. Blood work came back alright so when you wished everyone an "abundant" day Caterina it sure was!

Caterina, so happy for your work with the Cole's foundtion.

We were at the fair most of the day yesterday with our wonderful daughter and two little ones. You forget the excitement of a fair until you go with little ones. We walked around our yard in the afternoon and the number of different mushrooms was unbelievable, no we didn't pick any but was fun looking for different ones so when I get done here will go out and get some pictures for a scrapbook page. I love the nature pages one can do. One looked just like a sea anemones!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday! Gloria
Gloria .... I'm so glad to hear the good news you got from your doctor on Friday. I've been praying for you! Praise the Lord!

Rita
Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #2644
Gallery Gazer

Good morning! I've just been catching up of things and am so thankful for God's grace and goodness in your lives. I don't know any of you but I can feel like I do just because of Christ! ANd I'm starting to figure out who has what going on in their lives so I can pray for you.

Our pastor preached his final sermon (he is leaving this week to begin teaching at a Bible College) yesterday and his challenge for us was from Heb 11:1-3-- about running the race.

The three 'let us' phrases are interconnected. Let us run the race and the only way we can do that is by fixing our eyes on Jesus. The instant we try to do it on our own, or even with the help of our church, or pastor, we miss the mark. It is Jesus and ONLY Jesus. He is our example and High Priest.

His point was that even though he is moving on and we have a new pastor coming, even though we have new things ahead, even though ... nothing can be done if we take our eyes off of Christ.

It really spoke to me and I thought I would share it with you today! Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #2645
Gallery Gazer

Ohhh-- and I love MercyMe... how upsetting for them. And tragic for the other car. Wow. Thanks for sharing that news. Something more to pray for.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #2646
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Hi, ladies! Sorry it's been so long since I've last checked in -- still in Virginia for now, but my sister and I will be on our way to Texas in the next couple of days!

I have no idea what all of your musical tastes are, but on K-Love today the deejay mentioned that MercyMe's tour bus was involved in a wreck on Saturday in Indiana with a car that abruptly turned in front of them, and at last report two passengers in the car were killed... three if you also count the driver's unborn baby. No one in the tour bus was hurt. He asked for prayer for both the members of the band, and the families of the people in the other vehicle.

I heard, how tragic and sad
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #2647
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Though to share this one for today.

The Heart Of The Gospel

READ: 2 Corinthians 4:1-6
We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed. —2 Corinthians 3:18

When E. Stanley Jones, well-known missionary to India, had the opportunity to meet with Mahatma Gandhi, he asked a searching question of India’s revered leader: “How can Christianity make a stronger impact on your country?” Gandhi very thoughtfully replied that three things would be required.

First, Christians must begin to live more like Jesus. Second, the Christian faith should be presented without any adulteration. Third, Christians should emphasize love, which is at the heart of the gospel.

These insightful suggestions are the key to effective evangelism around the world. As messengers of God’s love, we are to be human mirrors who reflect without distortion a growing likeness to our Lord; we are not to walk in “craftiness” (2 Cor. 4:2). If our lives reflect an image that is spiritually blurred, the truth of saving grace may not be clearly communicated (vv.3-5). We are also to share the biblical essentials of our faith clearly. We must not handle the Word of God “deceitfully” (v.2). And our lives are to be marked by love for God and others (1 John 5:1-2).

Let’s be sure that we reflect a clear image of Jesus’ likeness, the truth of God, and love. — Vernon C. Grounds

Called to be salt and light in this world,
Called to preserve and to shine,
Called to reflect the glory of God—
Oh, what a calling is mine! —Fitzhugh

The primary reason for living in this world is to reflect the likeness of Christ.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #2648
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaker2 View Post
Ohhh-- and I love MercyMe... how upsetting for them. And tragic for the other car. Wow. Thanks for sharing that news. Something more to pray for.
The young mother who was driving the car is in critical condition -- she may not even know yet that the others in the car with her were killed or that she lost her child. Her first name has been released, so you can pray for Kara by name. She's only 18, and her passengers were also teenagers. Her baby was only weeks away from being born!

MercyMe cancelled the St. Louis show they were traveling to when the crash occurred, but they are going ahead with performing at the Wisconsin State Fair. I don't know how they're going to get through it, but it's definitely going to be God sustaining them.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #2649
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Rachel, feel so very sorry for this poor young woman. She will need prayer and lots of God's grace and mercy.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #2650
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning, dear friends... thought to share this encouragement.

VERSE:
And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is
living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give
life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
-- Romans 8:11

THOUGHT:
Romans 8 reminds us again and again of the blessings of the Holy
Spirit's living in us, God's children. The Spirit in us is our
guarantee that we will be raised from the dead! Because the Spirit
that gave Jesus life and raised him from the dead is in us, we can
have confidence in our resurrection. Mortality will not claim us --
our bodies may die, but the real and living part of us will go to
be with Jesus (see Philippians 1:19-23). The Holy Spirit's
life-giving power is stronger than death. We will live! Even though
our bodies may die, the Spirit of God animates, inspires, and
empowers us to victory.

PRAYER:
Holy Father, thank you so much for the gift of the Holy Spirit.
To know that the power of the same Spirit who helped create the
universe and who raised Jesus from the dead also lives in me takes
my breath away with wonder and awe. You have chosen to live inside
me, to bless me, mold me, develop me, and conform me to the goal of
Jesus. Thank you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #2651
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hi Rachel, I heard about this with Mercy Me too. Sooo sad! Be safe on your way to Texas!!! Say hi to my bro and sil in Dallas as your drive by!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #2652
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
The young mother who was driving the car is in critical condition -- she may not even know yet that the others in the car with her were killed or that she lost her child. Her first name has been released, so you can pray for Kara by name. She's only 18, and her passengers were also teenagers. Her baby was only weeks away from being born!

MercyMe cancelled the St. Louis show they were traveling to when the crash occurred, but they are going ahead with performing at the Wisconsin State Fair. I don't know how they're going to get through it, but it's definitely going to be God sustaining them.

Update today was that the wreck happend in Ft.Wayne which is northern Indiana...and I think they are at the Indy state fair by us tonight and were going to go ahead with the concert too. The Moody station here was still requesting prayer for the family in the car. Very sad for everyone involved.

Hi Cardmaker...glad to see new peeps and sisters in Christ stop byhere!

Girls, these last few weeks have been a zoo. I sent an e-mail to some of you..I did get the teaching job and I start with staff meetings tomorrow and Th, then kids on Friday. I'm still having daycare all week too.....I'm here today, then mys ister is subbing for me for 2 days and 2 neighbors on Friday. I felt like I needed ot give my daycare parents as much time as possible to find other childcare. I'm sad to be leaving but also not sad. I love the 'teacher schedule' and will love it even more now that the boys will be in 1st and 3rd grades. I can have my summers off with them and I am sooooo looking forward to that. It will be great! Thanks so much for your prayers...keep praying as we all adjust to a new routine....my classroom is getting put together slowly but surely..it will be fine! I'll be teaching K in the mornings and Early Childhood Spec. Ed in the afternoons. Will be nice to have the variety.....it will be a great and fun challenge for me. Another neat thing is that dh's bro teaches 5th in the same building. So, that will be so much fun!

Well, I hope all of you are well.Not sure how much I will be on herein the up and coming weeks, but wanted to at least stop in and say hello. You girls are on my mind in prayer ALWAYS! If there is anything urgent...e-mail me. I almost always check that first.

Hugs and hope to be back here asap!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #2653
Gallery Gazer

Beth, thanks for the welcome!

I can picture your schedule... if I were near you I may have been working with you! I am a TA (IA, EA-whatever you call us) for Spec needs kids at the kindergarten level. I love what I do and love that age of kids. I have 2 1/2 weeks before I head back and I love my summers off.

Be thinking about you as you set up your classroom!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #2654
Matboard Maniac

Good morning ladies, just checking in. With all the back to school talk I finally remember I need a new pair of shoes this year. Last year wore old gym shoes this year that won't be good enough. Just happy this thread continues to grow and yet retain all of us who have been here a long while. May God continue to work in all our lives. We just need to remember to ask and we will be answered. Was at the library yesterday, had to make copies of a certificate to send to prosecuters office. while walking down an isle looking for a joyce meyer book my cert. fell. not just on the floor but between the books on my isle and the isle on the other side. I picked up the books on my side and laid them on the floor, sure enough my cert. was laying curled up between the shelves. As i brought it out a book fell over, when I picked it up it was Max Lucado's The Great House of God a home for your heart, something inside said check it out. Am very glad I did, have been reading it and it to me is very powerfull. God is surley good to us.
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #2655
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Beth, thanks for the welcome!

I can picture your schedule... if I were near you I may have been working with you! I am a TA (IA, EA-whatever you call us) for Spec needs kids at the kindergarten level. I love what I do and love that age of kids. I have 2 1/2 weeks before I head back and I love my summers off.

Be thinking about you as you set up your classroom!
This is so interesting, I sub for the TA's (we call them paraeducators here) and a lot of the time it's for special needs kids. I worked with all different ages though, from K thru 6th grade. Those kids really worked their way into my heart, a lot more than the "normal" (I really don't like that expression, but don't know how else to put it) ones do. I have a special needs kid myself, sort of, my oldest has Aspergers, though he is pretty high functioning.

I just came back from lunch with my friend. I know I've whined about this before, but things are very tense between us again. I know I did something that bothered her this past weekend, but I've apologized and there isn't much I really can do. So I guess I just pray about it and let it go.

It is really good to see everyone posting, and to read the devotionals and everyone's praise reports. Right now I'm praising God because I took the boys school shopping this morning and we finished in and hour and a half with no whining or arguing. I'm always so relieved to get that finished.

Well, I need to leave pretty soon to pick up my sister from the airport, so I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #2656
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley View Post
Say hi to my bro and sil in Dallas as you drive by!
Dallas is actually my destination! What part of the city do they live in?

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #2657
Gallery Gazer

I do love my Special Kids! I don't usually have the same ones a second year becausemy choice is to stay in Kindergarten. But through the years I have worked one on one with 2 Autistic kids, 2 hearing impaired, a couple that were never really diagnosed, just really needed another support in their learning, a Down's boy, as ODD boy with some ADD thrown in for fun...

but I love them all. How rewarding it has been for me. Julie, wanna sub for me Oct 6 and 7?? I get to see Dr Bruce Perry who has appeared on Oprah, but is Canadian and actually from my province.

~Charlene

Last edited by cardmaker2; 08-11-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #2658
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Just wanted to quickly drop by to say my old boss, Dr. Tim LaHaye is on the Sean Hannity program. Was his personal secretary in the late 80s. He is nearly 90 and looks great.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #2659
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I do love my Special Kids! I don't usually have the same ones a second year becausemy choice is to stay in Kindergarten. But through the years I have worked one on one with 2 Autistic kids, 2 hearing impaired, a couple that were never really diagnosed, just really needed another support in their learning, a Down's boy, as ODD boy with some ADD thrown in for fun...

but I love them all. How rewarding it has been for me. Julie, wanna sub for me Oct 6 and 7?? I get to see Dr Bruce Perry who has appeared on Oprah, but is Canadian and actually from my province.

~Charlene
Ha ha, I'm pretty sure I'll be with my special kids then. There was one girl in particular that I was so drawn to, as the special ed teacher said she's "as autistic as they can get" Very little communication at all, but she's such a cutie. Though I could tell her aide was very burned out by the end of the year, she had a baby at home herself, and then worked everyday with a girl that basically is a baby, a very mobile baby that is!

Cool that you get to see Dr Perry.

Caterina, sorry I missed Hannety last night, I was out walking. We had such a dreary day on Monday that when the sun came out yesterday I just needed to get out in it. I'll ask DH if he saw it.

I may be MIA the next few days or couple weeks, both of my sisters made it here safely yesterday so now we'll be getting into all the family stuff. My niece's wedding is a week from Friday so until then I'll be busy. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 AM   #2660
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning dear friends, hope today is a blessed one for each of you. Our dil and grandsons will be visiting shortly...
Old 08-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #2661
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Here is a devotional for the day.

VERSE:
My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent
his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a
father the son he delights in.
-- Proverbs 3:11-12

THOUGHT:
Discipline, even when it is not falsely confused with
punishment, is considered onerous, irritating, and unnecessary. The
lazy and sinful part of us wants no boundaries, even if they are
good, and no direction because it might conflict with what we want
to do. But the Lord disciplines out of love to bless us. It is a
sign of his delight. Why? Because he is not content to leave us
unchanged, unmotivated, and disinterested. He wants to move us
closer to our goal: Jesus!

PRAYER:
I confess, Righteous Father, I don't like discipline all that
much. However, Father, deep down I know that your discipline is for
my good and my spiritual blessing. Please help me better know and
use the situations in my life to become more like Jesus, in whose
name I pray. Amen.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #2662
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Our pastor sent this out and thought it is worth sharing.

Part 1

Praying Effectively....
through times of challenge

By Doug Stringer

The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (James 5:16b NKJ)

“Prayer is so much more than handing a list of requests to God. If you want earth shaking results, you will be required to travail until heaven’s plan becomes a reality on earth.

If we are honest with ourselves, we must admit that our prayers frequently degenerate into little more than religious incantations and shallow platitudes spoken out of a sense of religious duty. Yet, the Bible compares prayer with the travail of childbirth. It is, in essence, a passionate activity.” (Excerpt from article “Pray Until Something Happens” by doug stringer, published in Charisma Magazine, March 1999)

Today, more than ever, we need to be a people who pray effectively. As our cities, our nation, and our world face crisis and disaster, we must be a Church who can pray to bring breakthrough. We need breakthrough for our own lives, for the lives of those around us, and for the lost in our cities.

Hitting the Mark
Effective prayer is prayer that hits its mark. As a praying people, we want to be like archers who shoot out their arrows and hit the bullseye. But how do we become effective in prayer? A lot of people pray, but is all prayer effective? Do our prayers avail much, as the Scripture says? Let’s face it, sometimes when we pray it feels as though our prayers hit a brick wall.

James 5:17-18 says, “Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.”

Sounds like pretty effective prayer! What is it that the Lord is trying to tell us in these passages?

The message to us here is that we are no different than Elijah. Elijah was a man with a nature just like ours, and we have a nature just like his. Elijah was anointed and appointed by God. We, too, have an anointed and appointed calling from God. But how many of us believe this? How many of us recognize this fact and walk in it, praying the prayer of faith accordingly? When we begin to recognize who we are and our place within the Body of Christ, we can begin to function in the realm of effective prayer.

Proper Alignment
A few years ago I wrote a commentary called “Body Alignment” for a new Bible released by Thomas Nelson Publishers called The Maximized Living Bible, which includes commentaries from Dr. Ben Lerner and other Christian leaders on subjects such as spiritual fitness, physical fitness, health, nutrition, financial fitness, and stress management.

Later, as I was seeking the Lord at the close of 2006 and trying to get a sense for the coming year, I kept hearing that same word over and over again: Alignment, alignment, alignment.

I believe three areas of alignment are of utmost importance in our lives: Kingdom Alignment, Personal Alignment, and Body Alignment.

1. The first, Kingdom Alignment, is about proper alignment to the Kingdom of God and its principles. God’s kingdom should be our first priority. Matthew 6:33 says, “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” (NKJ) The most important thing is not the building of our own kingdoms, but the establishment of the Kingdom of God , on earth as it is in heaven. As I always say, “While men reached for thrones to build their own kingdoms, Jesus reached for a towel to wash men’s feet.” It’s not about our own agendas, but about proper alignment to God’s kingdom. When Jesus taught His disciples to pray, He taught them to focus on the Kingdom. “Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10, NKJ). Proper kingdom alignment is essential for effective prayer.

2. Personal Alignment is getting in right order with the Father, connecting spirit to spirit with our Creator. Our hearts must be right before Him. David prayed, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Psalm 51:10, NKJ). When our hearts are rightly aligned to God, we will begin to have spiritual authority in our prayers. We will be able to pray effectively and see God move on our behalf. Sin in our lives will keep our prayers from being effective. Isaiah 59:2 says, “But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.”(NKJ) That feeling of hitting a brick wall with our prayers often occurs because we need to do business with God and get our hearts in a right position before Him, confessing our sins and experiencing His forgiveness.

3. Finally, proper Body Alignment is essential. Ephesians 4:16 tells us that when each part of the body is rightly fit together, the whole body functions better. The King James Version calls it “the effectual working” of each part. Each of us has a function and a gifting within the Body of Christ. When we are in proper alignment within the Body, everything works as it should. I have seen this lesson in action when I go to visit the chiropractor. At times I have problems with my knee. My knee problems cause my hip to get out of place, and pretty soon I feel chronic pain in my back. At that point, I need to go in for an alignment! When I get my spine back in alignment, it causes everything else to feel liberated. The same is true in the Body of Christ. When one part is out of alignment, the whole Body is affected. It takes the whole Body being rightly fit together for the effectual working of each part. When we are functioning in unity, we see great breakthrough for the Kingdom of God !

Going Deeper Together
As I often meet with different groups of people to pray, I have noticed the different levels of effectiveness that seems to exist with certain people. There is something different when you pray with people with whom you have an established a relationship. You can let your guard down and pray more intimately with one another. There is a trust and intimacy already built between you, and you are able to go into what I call “gut-level” prayer. You’ve been through things together, and you know how to go hand-in-hand into intercession.

In college, I learned about the different levels of communication that exist between people. When you see someone on the street who is an acquaintance, you usually says something like, “How are you today? Aren’t we having nice weather?” This is what we call Level 5 communication. This is not the kind of communication we want to have between us when we gather to pray. We want to go to a deeper level of communicating, with one another and with the Lord.

We can have great cordial relationships with people at Level 5, but to experience more effectual prayer, we need to go deeper together to places of trust and unity in the Spirit. I’ve noticed that large, corporate prayer events sometimes don’t have the same kind of effectiveness that you get when you pray with people you know, people who have gone through things with you, and people you know you can trust with the things of your heart.

By no means do I want to imply that large corporate prayer meetings are a bad thing. It is great to get people together to pray all the time! God sees the unity and the heart in these gatherings, and He is pleased. But there is another level of substance and a depth of power that is released when you gather with people of like heart and like mind, going before the throne together, with one voice and one sound to cry out for breakthrough.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #2663
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Part 2

Praying Effectively....
through times of challenge
By Doug Stringer

Breakthrough for our Land

When Elijah prayed for rain, he was praying for breakthrough for the land. We live in a day and a season when we must step up to the challenge to be a people like Elijah. We must pray that our arrows hit the mark. Our land is in need of breakthrough.

All around us today we see crisis and challenge: storms, shakings, wars, and rumors of wars. Natural disasters, human disasters, and spiritual disasters threaten our cities and our world. And in listening to many voices within the Body of Christ, there is a consensus that these challenges are going to continue to come. We know that from Scripture, as well. We, as the Church, must be prepared and know how to pray effectively.

An Attitude of Gratitude

“Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.” Albert Einstein

With all these challenges facing our world, many are living in fear and anxiety about what is to come. How do we, as God’s people, position ourselves so that we are not overcome by anxiety? Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God…” (NKJ)

So many times, our posture in prayer is one of supplication and petition before the Lord. We are in places of desperation, in need of breakthrough, and we rush to the Lord to beseech Him for what we need. God certainly wants us to come to Him with our needs, and even commands it. But I believe we would see greater breakthrough if we remembered to come with an attitude of thanksgiving. As Paul said to the Philippians, “In everything…with thanksgiving.”

I can remember times of great desperation when I needed personal and spiritual breakthrough. I got home late one night after witnessing on the streets and seeing little fruit. I was frustrated in ministry. I was tired and discouraged. I didn’t feel like praying. I didn’t want to worship. I could feel my heart getting hard.

I remember falling down on my mattress in that dark room and crying out to the Lord. I sensed the Lord telling to read about the woman at the well, so I picked up my Bible and began to read the story in John 4. As I did, I heard the Lord speak to my spirit the same words Jesus said to that woman: Give me a drink.

I responded by thinking, “Lord, I’m the one who needs a drink.” But God spoke to my heart once again: “Doug, there are plenty of times to come with supplication. There are plenty of times to ask me for your needs. I want to hear those things. But sometimes you need to just come to me and thank me for what I’ve already done.”

I stood up in the dark, and out of sheer obedience, I began to thank God for what He had done in my life. I still didn’t feel like praying, but the Bible says we are to give a sacrifice of praise. I began to sing, “Praise the Name of Jesus.” Then I began to thank Him for all He had done in my life.

Then it started to hit me. The Lord began to remind me of where he had brought me from. Suddenly, I wasn’t just thanking Him with my mind. My spirit had come alive, and I was praying in the Spirit and worshipping God. God had brought me the liberation and breakthrough I needed—not because I came with petitions and requests, but because I came with thanksgiving. There are times where we need to realize that a little gratitude can go a long way toward effective prayer. When we begin to appreciate God for who He is, we gain access to His presence in a new way. We enter into the gates of His presence when we enter with thanksgiving. And in His presence, great blessing and power are released.

A New Season of Prayer

My prayer for each of you is to have a new season of prayer in your life—a season of effective prayer. As you align yourself with God’s kingdom and His righteousness, and as you align yourself with others He has put in your life, I know you will find new levels of release.

Make a commitment to come before the Lord with thanksgiving. Be diligent in your times of prayer, both individually and in coming together with people of like spirit. Armed with the prayer of faith, we will see God working in us and through us as vessels of breakthrough for our land.

(Bulk of this article taken from original teaching by doug stringer released March, 2007)
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #2664
Gallery Gazer

Wow, Caterina, that was amazing this morning. Thank you for sharing that solid piece of teaching. Prayer indeed has been one thing to get set aside, sometimes becoming more of a form than travail from the heart.

If I spent as much time in prayer as I do in other things... that is a challenge today. Thank you again.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #2665
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Wow, Caterina, that was amazing this morning. Thank you for sharing that solid piece of teaching. Prayer indeed has been one thing to get set aside, sometimes becoming more of a form than travail from the heart.

If I spent as much time in prayer as I do in other things... that is a challenge today. Thank you again.

Thanks, we all need to spend more time in prayer instead of doing other things... it is a challenge for all of us.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #2666
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Please lift up the Christoper Sliker family. Christopher (5) had DIPG (brain cancer) and his funeral is today. Reynold and I went to the viewing last night. The cancer disfigured him so much that they had a closed casket.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #2667
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to share this today.

VERSE:
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to
fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry,
"Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that
we are God's children.
-- Romans 8:15-16

THOUGHT:
Ab-ba. Listen to a baby and you will hear these basic early
sounds. Incredibly, Jesus showed us, and the Spirit enables us, to
speak to God with these syllables of familiarity, trust,
vulnerability, dependency, and intimacy. The Spirit is our
guarantee that we don't have to be afraid of God, but that we can
approach him as our loving and tender Father who always listens to
our hearts and seeks to bless our lives.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, you are glorious and majestic. Your deeds are
awesome. Your power, O LORD, is unfathomable. Your grace, Almighty
God, is wonderful. Thank you, Holy and Righteous Father, for
allowing me to approach you as my always near and ever present
Abba. Please make your nearness clear in my life today, and every
day that follows. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #2668
Insane Embellisher

We are just having a heavy down pour, and with our sand we needed it so much. But made me think of that "rain rain go away" song we sang as children.

Want to thank all of you that had me in prayer for my CT last week. So nice to know we are lifted up in prayer by friends and family. Your devotional was so on the spot with the one on prayer. When I had release time in Jr. high for Bible study I remember the minister talking of prayer and he made it sound so formal I much more like the idea of one talking to our father were we can just bear our souls in all things, fears, requests, and thankfulness. Taking our hand and walking with us though life.

What a great surprise we had the other morning,never in the 36 years we have lived here have we had geese in our yard, what started out as 4 quickly was up to 40-50, what fun to watch them walking around. Our south drive way was blocked with them so had to use the north drive when I left for town. Needless to say anyone that has been around geese know one needs to watch were they walk.....

Will be heading south to my sisters for dinner tomorrow, one of my sisters will be here for a week so will be wonderful to see her its been maybe 10 years since she was able to come home. Will be plenty of food, talking and if my mom has her way we'll be playing cards in the afternoon.

Well wishing you Beth all the best in your new job, sounds so wonderful for you and with summers off with your boys what could be better.

Caterina, I know you must be/did enjoy time with your family.

Julie, have fun at your wedding, wishing you a warm sunny day for it.

Gloria
Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #2669
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina, will definitely keep that family in my prayers. I just cannot imagine the pain these families feel. I also enjoyed the devotionals you posted the last couple days. Prayer is something that has never come naturally for me, so of course I like to do it in private. Which is a problem for me when the kids are home for summer vacation. I also enjoyed the last devotional because I struggle so much with seeing God as my loving Father, rather than this big, scary being ready to strike me down if I mess up.

Gloria, your story about the geese made me laugh, they are such funny creatures. I could just imagine the racket they must have been making. They're not exactly quiet much of the time. My friend's DH absolutely hates them, because he's a golfer, and geese don't exactly make golf courses beautiful. Have a good time with your sisters, I'm sure enjoying having all of mine here right now.

I actually have a nice quiet afternoon today. The bridal shower was here at my house yesterday, and we had a great time. The kids spent the day at the neighbors, so I actually had a nice quiet afternoon yesterday too. Tonight we will have a BBQ at my sister's house, and next Saturday we'll have one here at our house. I think my mom is a bit overwhelmed with everything, I hope she gets some quiet next week before the wedding.

Well, I feel like just wasting some time right now so I think I'm going to play an on-line game for a while. I will try to post again when I can. Have a glorious weekend everyone.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #2670
Gallery Gazer

Good morning! It seems a shame that this has worked its way down the page so I'll shout out a message to get it where it belongs!

Remember that your Heavenly Father delights in you! He loves to shower you with His love and sometimes, He showers us with treats that we don't even think to ask for. His blessing is beyond measure. Just the blessing of peace, hope for eternity, assurance of salvation... now THAT is a shower of blessing.

Have a wonderful day!

~Charlene

Last edited by cardmaker2; 08-18-2009 at 05:27 AM..
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #2671
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning dear friends, asking the Lord to shower each one of you with His grace, mercy and love today. Hope this devotional will be an encouragement to you.

VERSE:
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing
with the glory that will be revealed in us.
-- Romans 8:18

THOUGHT:
Paul knew hardship: take a look in 2 Corinthians 11:22-33 at the
list of just some of the difficult challenges he had to face. His
"present sufferings" make most of our difficulties seem tame by
comparison. However, Paul could say confidently that the glory he
would have with Christ (cf. Col. 3:1-4) would be so incredible,
with blessings so fantastic, that his hardships are minor in
comparison. That glory will also be ours! Now isn't that fantastic
news.

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty God, you are awesome, glorious, and majestic.
I praise you for reaching down and saving me by your grace. Father,
most of the time my faith is strong and I feel confident about my
future. However, at times my faith can waver when I am confronted
with grave difficulties. Give me courage and boldness, dear God, to
face those challenges with the conviction that they are actually
minor in comparison to the glory you will share with me when Jesus
returns. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #2672
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Happy Sunday to everyone! Gee, it has been quiet around here. Hope all is going well with you dear friends. Reynold and I have been busy with our two youngest grandsons, Camron & Conrad - they are now back from their two month stay in Poland visiting family along with their mommy, of course.

Reynold and I are also looking forward to getting away for for awhile and will be heading down to Florida soon. Hope the hurricanes will stay away.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #2673
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Here is a devotional for today.

VERSE:
Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to
share plunder with the proud.
-- Proverbs 16:19

THOUGHT:
What is your source of significance? This proverb challenges us
to view the world upside down to the rest of culture. Humility and
association with the lowly and oppressed are valued by God. Abusive
power and arrogance are not. God didn't just give us this proverb;
he sent us his Son to demonstrate it. Now if we can only learn to
live it. Ah! But Jesus does give us the opportunity to demonstrate
it when he says, "Follow me!" (cf. John 13)

PRAYER:
Father, I do recognize my weakness and vulnerability to
temptation, to the lure of my culture's facades, and to the
pressure to be like the "popular crowd." Thank you for Jesus, who
had power but displayed humility, who had position but identified
with the abandoned, forgotten, and rejected. Please use me to be a
difference-maker in my world by including those who are left out,
forgotten, and disenfranchised. In Jesus name. Amen.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #2674
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought I would quick check in. Thanks for that devo Caterina, it really spoke to me. Both of my kids have social issues due to Aspergers, and sometimes I need to step back and realize that's it's okay that they don't associate with the "popular" kids. (which are not always the nice kids anyway)

My niece's wedding was Friday night, which was so beautiful, and then last night I had my whole family over here for dinner. There was a pall over my family last night, we spend so much time planning these events and then when they're over there's such a let down feeling. And it's always hard to say goodbye to my sisters.

I'm very grateful that my kids and I have something to look forward to. My friend and I are taking our kids to the same place that we went on vacation, to play on the waterslides. We'll go tomorrow and come back on Wednesday. I'm glad we can have one last fun thing before school starts.

Hope everyone is well and that you all have a blessed week. I will be happy when I have time to stamp again.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #2675
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Julie, have a great time!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #2676
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Happy Monday!!

The Lonely Hearts Club

“And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

Three men were stranded on a desert island. A genie appeared and promised to grant each of them just one wish. So the first guy says, “I want to go back to my job with the brokerage firm.” Shazam, he’s back in the office behind his desk. The second guy says, “I’d like to be back in Chicago with my family.” Instantly, he’s zapped back to the Midwest. So the genie turns to the last guy and says, “What’ll it be for you?” He looks around and says, “It’s so lonely here. I wish my friends were back.”

Actually, the pain of loneliness is no laughing matter. And, sad to say, there is no magic-genie cure for the loneliness so many of us struggle with. After God created Adam, He said that it is not good for man to be alone and created Eve for companionship and mutual encouragement. So, it’s no wonder that we hurt when we are disconnected from others who could be a source of satisfaction and joy.

Yet, in one sense, even the loneliest among us is not truly alone. In fact, Jesus not only assures us of His presence but can empathize with the agony of our loneliness. He was brutally cast off by His own people, the object of criticism and scorn, abandoned by His best friends in His hour of need, and betrayed by a trusted colleague. Still, in the midst of this loneliness He was not truly alone. John 8:29 records Christ’s strong confidence in the midst of His standing alone when He says, “The one who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone.” And even though He realized His teaching was rejected by men, He said, “If I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent Me” (v.16).

The only true loneliness is the aloneness of being disconnected from God. When we live disconnected from Him, we scramble to fill the void with food, sex, alcohol, shopping, drugs, or meaningless activity. Many of us will do anything to medicate the emptiness we feel without God. In its advanced stages, this aloneness from God fogs our outlook with a cloud of cynicism until our only response to life is “Who cares?” or “Whatever.”

The only real way out is to cling to Jesus, the one who will never leave or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5) and the one who promises to give you life, in fact life more abundantly (John 10:10).

Maybe you know this, but you’ve been afraid to put all your eggs in the basket of all Jesus has to offer. Maybe your fear is reflected in the words of the poet who wrote, “lest having Him I would have nothing else beside.”

But let me assure you that Christ will never let you down. Jesus is certainly no magic genie. He does not exist in a foggy vision only to vanish in a puff of smoke. In fact, it’s just the opposite—we have the assurance that He is constantly with us. Jesus said, in Matthew 28:20, “I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Because of this promise, you can trust that God will never leave you stranded alone on the desert island of life without Him, but will satisfy you with His presence and peace.

OUR JOURNEY…

* Are you connected to God through a relationship with Christ, or are you alone in your soul? If you are alone, pray and ask Christ to become your Savior.
* Find someone who needs to hear that Christ is the cure for his or her aloneness. Use God’s Word to encourage that person today!
* Aloneness can carve a hollow in your soul that alters your tone and perspective on life. In your journal, write down comforting thoughts that God provides from the following Scripture (Psalm 139:7-10; Isaiah 49:13-16; Romans 8:35-39; Hebrews 13:5).
Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #2677
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought this was interesting and wanted to share it.

Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ...

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that They pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America , and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are ! uppermost reminding them of their nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning. In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #2678
Insane Embellisher

Good morning all,

Caterina, all your devotionals are good but the one on loneliness was very special. I know I have felt alone at times even with husband retired, family, and friends, thanks for reminding me that I am never truly alone! If anyone has some free time try spending it at a nursing home, a smile, a hug, a few words mean so much to these wonderful people, and to have time to listen to their stories is learning so much about our history after all they have lived it.

The sun is shining here today so will be spending time in our flower beds after I clean the car. Husband is getting our tractor ready for the winter snow plowing. Needed some new parts after all it is 49 years old!

Had our one grandson here yesterday so had my share of playing hide and seek and since he is 6 1/2 is into the power ranger type things so we had to play that until this power ranger was just plain "pooped" out.

My sister left (wow, almost a week ago already) to go back home to ID. I know what you mean Julie it is hard to say good bye not knowing when we'll see each other again. Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the wedding and getting together after with your family.

Margy, how are things going for you?Is the court thing done now? When does school start for you, most likely you said but can't remember.

We'll be going to our daughters for labor day weekend, husband, son in law and grandson will be going to a huge tractor show and daughter, grand daughter and I will be doing 'girl" type things. Most likely that will be some shopping ( hope some craft stores) and lunch out.

Well thinking of you all everyday, and keeping you in my prayers each night. Gloria
Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #2679
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Received this from a dear friend and thought to share it.

Satan called a worldwide convention of demons.

In his opening address he said,

"We can't keep Christians from going to church."

"We can't keep them from reading their Bibles and knowing the truth...."

"We can't even keep them from forming an intimate relationship with
Their SAVIOR."

"Once they gain that connection with JESUS, our power over them is
Broken."

"So let them go to their churches; let them have their covered dish dinners,
BUT steal their time, so they don't have time to develop a relationship
With JESUS CHRIST.."

"This is what I want you to do," said the devil:

"Distract them from gaining hold of their SAVIOR and maintaining that
Vital connection throughout their day!"

"How shall we do this?" his demons shouted.

"Keep them busy in the non-essentials of life and invent innumerable
Schemes to occupy their minds," he answered......

"Tempt them to spend, spend, spend, and borrow, borrow, borrow."

"Persuade the wives to go to work for long hours and the husbands to work
6-7 days each week, 10-12 hours a day, so they can afford their empty
Lifestyles."

"Keep them from spending time with their children."

"As their families fragment, soon, their homes will offer no escape from
The pressures of work!"

"Over-stimulate their minds so that they cannot hear that still, small voice."

"Entice them to play the radio or I-Pod whenever they drive." To
Keep the TV, DVDs, CDs and their PCs going constantly in their home and see
To it that every store and restaurant in the world plays non-biblical music
Constantly.."

"This will jam their minds and break that union with CHRIST."

"Fill the coffee tables with magazines and newspapers."

"Pound their minds with the news 24 hours a day."

"Invade their driving moments with billboards."

"Flood their mailboxes with junk mail, mail order catalogs, sweepstakes, and
Every kind of newsletter and promotional offering free products, services
And false hopes."

"Keep skinny, beautiful models on the magazines and TV so their husbands
Will believe that outward beauty is what's important, and they'll
Become dissatisfied with their wives. "

"Keep the wives too tired to love their husbands at night."

"Give them headaches too! "

"If they don't give their husbands the love they need, they will begin to
Look elsewhere."

"That will fragment their families quickly!"

"Give them Santa Claus to distract them from teaching their children the
Real meaning of Christmas."

"Give them an Easter bunny so they won't talk about HIS resurrection
And power over sin and death..."

"Even in their recreation, let them be excessive."

"Have them return from their recreation exhausted."

"Keep them too busy to go out in nature and reflect on GOD'S creation.
Send them to amusement parks, sporting events, plays, concerts, and movies
Instead."

"Keep them busy, busy, busy!"

"And when they meet for spiritual fellowship, involve them in gossip and
Small talk so that they leave with troubled consciences."

"Crowd their lives with so many good causes they have no time to seek
Power from JESUS."

"Soon they will be working in their own strength, sacrificing their health
And family for the good of the cause."

"It will work!"

"It will work!"

It was quite a plan!

The demons went eagerly to their assignments causing Christians everywhere
To get busier & more rushed, going here & there.

Having little time for their GOD or their families.

Having no time to tell others about the power of JESUS to change lives.

I guess the question is, has the devil been successful in his schemes?

You be the judge!!!!!

Does "BUSY" mean: B-eing U-nder S-atan's Y-oke?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2680
Gallery Gazer

WOW. All I can say is WOW. Terribly sobering thoughts and I thank you. Is there one of us who is free from all that? Thank God for His grace, and for time to spend with HIm.