Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #201
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Gail, so sorry about the auto -- cars are wonderful until they break down. Our car has over 100,000 miles and is starting to show her age; especially now with all the dents from our accident a few weeks ago. Sure hope you dh will be able to find something that will work for him at the right $$$.

Elee, congrats on the fun cha-cha and the three pound loss.

Julie, Gloria and Margy hope you are all feeling well and enjoying your evening.

Hello to Beth, April, Naner, Polar Bear, Steph, et al.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #202
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, everyone, I'm coming on here with a much better attitude today. My circumstances haven't changed (except my friend called me tonight, we went for a walk and she really came through for me by putting this in perspective). I believe that other doors will be opened for me, and I also need to remember that the school year has only just begun. The majority of the sub work comes during the winter and spring anyway. My only concern is that we have a new person calling for the jobs, and rumor has it that she gives her friends the better jobs. But we'll see, I'll just be thankful for the 3 half days I have next week.

Praying for everyone on here. Gloria, still thinking of your DH. The part about the tractors made me smile, I know two people who have recently bought Farmall (I may not have that name right) tractors, 1940's era. Brings back memories of my dad's old tractor.

Gail, hope you can find a car at a reasonable price. While it's disappointing when one dies, it's always so exciting to have a new one.

Thanks for the devo, it was wonderful as usual. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #203
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi everyone!

So sorry, Julie, about the blahs...but glad you had some time with your friend tonight. That helps doesn't it? I will pray that a teaching position will come open for you sometime soon. it's tough to get back into the schools....believe me, I spent about 6 months this year trying....but God has a plan and will open the doors for you at the right time. For now, you are getting good exposure when you go into a school to sub, etc. People are getting to know you...staff and all....so that's a good thing. They will see that you are super duper and will hire you when the time is right!

Gloria...Will be praying for all that you mentioned....

Hi Elee...cha-cha-cha! Glad you had a great time and wow on loosing the lbs. I think I found the ones you lost!

Caterina..Hi sweet friend....Thanks for the devos...hope you are well. YOu always have such sound advice and I appreciate it.

Gail..bummer about the car. That stinks but good luck on finding a new one.....

Well, it's almost midnight..and we have flag football with the boys in the a.m. and a cul-de-sac cookout tomorrow night at 5. There is also a Renisance Faire (I know I spelled that wrong....rennisance?? renisaunce?? ) here this weekend too. We've gone the last 2 years and the boys really enjoy it.....busy weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend too!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #204
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Haven't share one from Oswald Chambers in quite some time... so here is one for today.

The Vision and The Reality

. . . to those who are . . . called to be saints . . . —1 Corinthians 1:2

Thank God for being able to see all that you have not yet been. You have had the vision, but you are not yet to the reality of it by any means. It is when we are in the valley, where we prove whether we will be the choice ones, that most of us turn back. We are not quite prepared for the bumps and bruises that must come if we are going to be turned into the shape of the vision. We have seen what we are not, and what God wants us to be, but are we willing to be battered into the shape of the vision to be used by God? The beatings will always come in the most common, everyday ways and through common, everyday people.

There are times when we do know what God’s purpose is; whether we will let the vision be turned into actual character depends on us, not on God. If we prefer to relax on the mountaintop and live in the memory of the vision, then we will be of no real use in the ordinary things of which human life is made. We have to learn to live in reliance upon what we saw in the vision, not simply live in ecstatic delight and conscious reflection upon God. This means living the realities of our lives in the light of the vision until the truth of the vision is actually realized in us. Every bit of our training is in that direction. Learn to thank God for making His demands known.

Our little "I am" always sulks and pouts when God says do. Let your little "I am" be shriveled up in God’s wrath and indignation--"I AM WHO I AM . . . has sent me to you" ( Exodus 3:14 ). He must dominate. Isn’t it piercing to realize that God not only knows where we live, but also knows the gutters into which we crawl! He will hunt us down as fast as a flash of lightning. No human being knows human beings as God does.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #205
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Well, the back splash guy just left - he has all the tiles in and will be back on Monday to put in the grouting. It looks so beautiful -- still wondering who lives in such a nice place.

Thank you, Lord, for this incredible blessing.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #206
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Well, we're now about to be the proud owners of a Honda Civic.

I have to share with you the front page story of the Edmonton paper ... about Emily's funeral ... and how the Gospel was shared ...
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...d-8c915817676f
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #207
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Gail, congratulations on the new Honda.

Thanks for sharing the news article on Emily's funeral. My heart just breaks for this family and think their testimony to the Lord is remarkable. May God heal their broken hearts as they face the coming days, months and years without their precious daughter.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #208
Stazon Splitcoast

I've missed a few days here, went on a mini vacation and I'm spending too much time in CE so I'm just reading about the murder in Edson...that is so horrible, I cannot imagine that family's pain (and of course all that knew her). Thanks for posting the address, it's not much but I feel better knowing I can do SOMEthing.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #209
Forum Fanatic

Default Where Did Evil Go?

This made an impact on me as I read it so I am sharing parts of the article by Tom White, Director of Voice of the Martyrs [October 2008 issue].

One morning I woke up and the word evil had fled around the corner like a beaten dog. People regularly say words like “immoral”, “bad”, or “corrupt”, but let’s face it, the E-word does not go out for a walk in public these days. Evil – the word at least – is no longer a part of the American vocabulary.

Evil, of course, is not forgotten in Scripture. The word is mentioned nearly 600 times [KJV]. But calling something or someone evil today will jeopardize your social standing.
[snip]

Unless you find out the world is evil you will fall in love with this world. There is no alternative.

By diluting the term evil we fall into a trap that makes us believe it does not exist. We forget the fall of man. We forget the temptation of Christ. We forget this world is lost. And we tend to tolerate evil here on earth.

Jesus did not teach us to pray, “Deliver us from improper thinking.” There is a reason the Bible mentions evil repeatedly. As Christians we are not in a war against “false” or “misguided” ideas. We are fighting Satanic evil, designed in hell. We are locked in a millenniums-old war pitting good against evil, God against darkness. And we are called to expose evil at every turn, regardless of what the world says.
[snip]

Some secular institutions and Bible colleges call Islam, Hinduism, etc. “the world’s great religions.” There is nothing eternally great about them. If they lead us down a path to eternal death then they are evil. (I John 4) All art, science, music, and culture created by anyone who presents a way to eternal life other than Christ can tempt the weak to glorify the evil theologies connected to them.

We are admonished to love our enemies but, we must be like Jesus. He called an entire generation evil. (Matthew 12:39) When confronted by satanic forces, we must expose evil as the force that it is and not sugarcoat it. Otherwise we run the risk of being lured into its web. We must teach our children about the battle between good and evil and how to identify evil here on earth. Otherwise, our children will be lost in watered-down terminology,

A character in a popular movie once uttered, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.” With our persecuted brothers and sisters in dire circumstances, we pray, “deliver them from evil.” From them we take courage to “be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Romans 12:21)
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #210
Insane Embellisher

It is so very quite here today, Friday night our daughter drove here after work with the two little ones and left after church and McDonalds today. Our oldest son and family were here Sat. also. With the three being 5, 2 and almost 3 you can tell it was a busy house. Enough leaves were down that when raked in a pile was great fun watching them run and jump into them. Brought back a lot of memories of when our 3 were little and also when I was. A pile of leaves will just always be fun, won't it....

Gail, our son and wife have the same car and they love it! So good luck and enjoy!

Margy, any luck fishing? Hope you had fun.

Elee, 3 pounds, congratulations! and what a fun sounding way to loss them!

Caterina, thanks for all your devotions and words that help keep me in a straight path right now.

Beth, the pictures of Jesus were beautiful.

Thanks all for your continued prayers, and hope all is going well for each of you today.

Gloria
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #211
Forum Fanatic

Default on giving

Interestingly enough there is much talk about how much charitable giving shows up on candidates’ IRS forms lately. I found it ironic as our pastor taught on giving this morning. Here is an outline and some references that helps put it all into perspective.

Philippians 4:14-19

Many people are familiar with verse 19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” But what about our part?

We must practice generous giving to be blessed, by investing in the kingdom of God {notice the connecting word “and” here}.

Prov 11:24-25 There is one who scatters, and {yet} increases all the more, And there is one who withholds what is justly due, {and yet it results} only in want. The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered.
2 Cor 9:6 Now this {I say,} he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
Luk 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure--pressed down, shaken together, {and} running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."
Prov 3:9-10 Honor the LORD from your wealth And from the first of all your produce; So your barns will be filled with plenty And your vats will overflow with new wine.
Mal 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

We must rely on our relationship with God our Father and look to Him to meet our needs as promised {notice the possessive word “my” and certainty of “will meet” here}.

Mat 6:8, 32 "So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.; "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Mat 10:29-31 "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And {yet} not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. "So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Mat 7:11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

We must trust in God not our own abilities or our surrounding circumstances [the stock market, government, etc.], He is the Source {God Himself is specific here and “all” is completely encompassing}.

Col 1:16 For by Him all things were created, {both} in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.
Psa 50:10-12 "For every beast of the forest is Mine, The cattle on a thousand hills. "I know every bird of the mountains, And everything that moves in the field is Mine. "If I were hungry I would not tell you, For the world is Mine, and all it contains.

Something to consider: “God can do more with our 90% than we can with our 100%.”
Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #212
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good evening everyone - hope your Sunday was as beautiful weather-wise as ours was today. God has been blessing us with some lovely sunny Fall days. Reynold and I spent most of the day shopping for furniture and stuff. Did not find much other than maybe a rug that might work in the family room.

Reynold has three more days...

Here is a short devotional.

VERSE:
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up
against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to
make it obedient to Christ.
-- 2 Corinthians 10:5

THOUGHT:
The apostle Paul knew he was in a war against spiritual forces
opposed to God (cf. Ephesians 6:10-12). While these forces might
have a great deal of influence in the world at large, Paul was
determined that Satan's deception wouldn't rule in God's churches.
He was committed to truth in an age obsessed with many different
gods, beliefs, and choices. Can we be any less vigilant in our day
and in a culture obsessed with so many of the same ideas?

PRAYER:
Holy God, please forgive our lack of spiritual vigilance and
cowardice in the marketplace of ideas. Stir us by your Spirit to
speak the truth in love. Convict us of the need to confront ideas
that are detrimental to faith, righteousness, and truth with sound
and godly wisdom. Arouse us from our lazy stupor and call us again
to be your holy and committed people. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 AM   #213
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning dear friends, hope you all had a fabulous weekend. Today marks Reynold's very last Monday at the bank with two more days to go.

Here is the devotional for today.

At the Core of the Crowd

"When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" Matthew 16:13

If Jesus were to walk into your town today, I wonder what kind of people He would attract. If you were like the rest of us, you’d probably expect all the well-put-together churchgoers to show up and occupy the front row seats. But you just might be surprised.

In Luke 15, it wasn’t the good folk who crowded around Jesus; it was the tax collectors and “sinners.” These were the ones who lived in blatant disregard for the law—the problem people in town! Which makes me wonder, what is it about Jesus that attracted them? And why were the “good folk” standing at the fringe of the crowd? Because they were ticked at sinners to begin with and mad at Jesus for hanging out with such unworthy people!

Thankfully, Jesus puts things into perspective for them—and for us—with a few lessons about why He hangs out with sinners, by telling the stories of the lost sheep and the lost coin.

The point Jesus makes is that sinners have great value to God. Why else would the shepherd go after one lost sheep, or the woman conduct a diligent search for her coin? They had suffered significant loss—a loss like God suffered when sin took people, His prized possession, away from Him.

And, to make matters worse, sinners are hopelessly lost. Sheep can’t help themselves when lost, and obviously when a coin is lost, it remains lost until someone finds it. Which means there must be intentional intervention to rescue the lost. That’s why Jesus said that He came “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10).

Obviously the grumblers on the fringe didn’t get it, but it was Jesus’ love and pursuit of sinners that drew their hearts to Him.

Got any “sinners” near you? Are you feeling a little standoffish and grumpy about them, or are you compelled to love them by launching a rescue operation of your own? After all, I bet you’re glad He went after you—as hopelessly lost and hell-bound as you were. So take a moment to remember what it was like to be lost, and do what you can to attract others to the joy of being found. You can’t go wrong when you’re at the core of the crowd. See you there!

Lord Jesus, I want to be at the core of the crowd. Forgive me for attitudes that counteract Your abundant mercy for the lost, and enable me to be Your hands and feet to reach out to those who desperately need to be found. Amen

OUR JOURNEY…

* Are you at the fringe of the crowd with the religious folk, grumbling about “sinners”? If so, read Romans 2:3-4, and ask the Lord to replace your judgmental spirit with His heart of compassion.
* Are you at the core of the crowd, as one of the “sinners” who has found Jesus? If so, how does this help stir a heart of compassion for other “sinners” around you?
* What attitudes and actions in your life might be detracting others from the love of Jesus? Are there some things in your life that attract people to Him?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #214
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
Caterina, thanks for the devo. It's great to be reminded of that once in a while.

Well, today was not a good day for me. I posted a while back about some tests being done at the center where I donate plasma. I found out today that the problem was that I received a false positive on the test for hepititus. The good news is that I don't have hepititus (which with my lifestyle that's a great big DUH) but if you receive one false positive you are no longer allowed to donate. This brought in about $200 per month which was usually saved for family fun, like weekend getaways, etc. And I'm getting a little frustrated with our school district, because I keep getting called for these 2-3 hour jobs and no full day ones ever seem to come along.

Sorry about my whining, life is just getting me down right now. Thanks for letting me vent here. Hopefully next time I post I can be more cheerful.
Sio sorry to hear about the end of the plasma donation, if only more people could do that or rather would. Unfortunatly I have never been able to do that.
Have you ever thought about school lunch? It really is a great place to work, you get the same days as the kids and make money besides.
Will keep ya in my prayers.
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #215
Matboard Maniac

Talking Good Monday Morning

Hope everyone had a good weekend. We had a really good time. We had sunshine,cloudy skies, rain,hail and wind. Most of the bad stuff at night while we slept. We did not go fishing, a guy who goes to this spot all the time said no sense this time of year. The trout have left or have gone deep and the catfish have gone to the mud for the winter. We had a great time with friends and in laws. Read my bible, and finished a book I started. It was a series I had not heard of befor the Drama Queen series, by someone named Bateman. Anyway she is a Christian and keeps to the Christian values in her books, they even quote scripture, and I looked it up and it was right. I can't believe how lucky for me to find these books. Will definatly recomd to my daughter and granddaughter.
Gloria I sure will keep praying for you guys, sounds like things are going fast.
You just know I will be with you in spirit.
Gail We wanted to get a honda, they are such good little cars.
Elee how fun! I love to dance.
Beth sounds like a fun weekend like me very buisy
Bless you all

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a marvelous weekend. It is just beautiful here now. It is in the eighties each day, sunny and bright. So I am spending a great deal of time outdoors enjoying the weather with my DH and kiddos.

This past weekend we hosted a neighborhood party and had a wonderful time. I haven't laughed this hard in weeks, and it has so good for my soul. I have been a bit blue lately, but this really helped. So many thanked us for hosting this party...we really wanted our neighbors to get to know each other a bit better so that we could care for each other if necessary. I always feel that when you live someplace with no family nearby, you need to reach out to your friends and neighbors. They become family. So I wanted to strengthen that this weekend...and I believe we were successful.

In mass this weekend Father spoke of not being bitter and to forgive those who have hurt us. Releasing our anger is good for the soul, and allows us to move on with our lives. Isn't this so true? When you look at life through a prism of anger and bitterness, it is hard to let the joy and love come in because you just cannot see it.

Have a lovely day ladies....you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #217
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon everyone!

Thanks so much for all the devotionals and thoughts. Elee..that really is interesting about the talk on giving. I liked the pointers your minister shared....and Doris, the words from your Father were good too.....bitterness just grows and grows, doesn't it? Better to forgive and move along and enjoy life. Sorry you have been feeling a little blue...you know I'm home everyday...give me a jingle!

Gail..whoohoooooo...a new car! That's awesome! Hope you all enjoy it...or was it for dh's work? I forget.

Margy...sure sounds like you had a good weekend with all the kdis around and all. Does make the house seem extra quiet after they leave, doesn't it?

Caterina..thanks for th edevos again...I love reading them.

Julie.....I meant to mention about the plasma doner stuff too and had forgotten till Margy mentioned it. My dad used to do that too.....He made some nice side money doing it till he reached 65 is it? Then the won't let you do it. He was pretty bummed out because the extra cash built up into a nice little fund after a few months. I lvoe the idea about the lunch room. I served breakfast for a while when I was on as a teaching assisstant and it was fun to see all the kids come thorugh the line. Little cuties!

Well, I'm off to stamp some more. I've updated my blog if anyone wants to peek. Nothing fantastic...just some fun stuff. I made nearly 20 cards yesterday for the bazaar..I think it was 18 or so. So, now I have right near 100 cards to sell. I have no idea how many I should have but the 100 seems like a lot but barely fills up 3 smaller baskets. Doesnt' look like 100 for sure! I thought I might try a one sheet wonder today and see if I can get a bunch of cards going that way. I've not done any of those before but they are really cute.....we did one off the Verve site at my last Stamp Club..m.y demo is awesome and we made was it 4 cards from a 6x6 sheet of designer paper. Wel, we needed the base for the cards, but the layouts came from the 6x6 sheets.

Hope everyone is doing well.......

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #218
Hardware Hotshot

Hi ladies!

Hope God is blessing your socks off!
Had a great service yesterday and saw some new people, though I didn't get to meet them. My usual goal on Sundays is to meet one person/family. I usually remember faces, but am terrible on names. Our church had pastor appreciation Sunday yesterday, and gave DH a great bonus check. That should pay for most of our Christmas gifts. Last year, a Korean family made us some steak bulgogi that was fabulous.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #219
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello from Iowa,

We had a busy weekend celebrating our grandson, Isaish's 3rd bday. As he says it Happy 2 you. They were over today and he told me let's do it again. He is such a blessing.

Gail-Congrats on the new car!! Always fun to get a new vehicle.

Caterina-Countdown for your dh. Bet you both can hardly wait. I don't know what my husband will do with himself when he retires. He can't sit still very long. We have a few years before that happens. We had a chair an half and we loved it. The grandkids always sat with us and we would read books or watch movies together...just real cozy!!

Elee-I think of you every time I watch Dancing With the Stars. You Go Girl!!

Gloria-Just to let you know you & and Your dh are in my prayers.

Beth-Sounds like you are accomplishing quite a bit for your craft fair. Way to go. I used to do alot of craft shows with a good friend. We had a lot of fun.
We would even travel out of town to do shows. Good Luck!!

Wendy-Praise...for the news for employer is willing to let you reduce your hours in the office.

Hi to Toni, April, Steph and Sandy.

This past week I was blessed to be able to attend ladies bible study, church on Sunday God's word with others. And a big thank you to Caterina for the wonderful devotionals.

Have a blessed evening with your families.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #220
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies!

Well, last week I was whining about my next sub job not being enough hours. Well, this morning was my first day and I enjoyed this job SO MUCH. It's with a preschool and these kids are so cute. All except for one are native Americans, they're all three years old. So right now I'm saying who cares about the short hours, I love it here! I'll be doing this job for the rest of the week.

I did wake up with a sore throat this morning, I sure hope it goes away. I've been drinking every hot liquid I can today, coffee, tea, hot apple cider, hot Propel.

Thanks for all the good thoughts on my no longer donating plasma. I'm going to miss that extra cash, but what upsets me most about this is that I also can no longer donate blood either, ever again. I'd always thought that if one of my kids ever needed surgery I could donate since they're both the same type as me. Nice (not) to know I'm on a "list" with the FDA now . My friend donated today and we met for lunch and she told me that at least three employees told her how bad they feel and how much they will miss me. Always nice to be loved, isn't it?

Hope you are all doing well, I think I'm going to call my demo and order some stamps anyway, I'd like to brighten someone's day today.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #221
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Karen, good to hear from you -- your grandson sounds adorable - they are just great at that age.

Julie, sure do hope you don't have what has been going around... sore throats are the pits. Take lots of Vitamin C and chicken soup.

Beth, will take a peek at you blog soon. Hope you will do a great job selling all your cards. A friend of mine many years ago tried to get me to make cards to sell but that would take the fun out of it for me because then it would be like a real job.

Btw, do we have an updated RAK list for this thread? If so, please let me know.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #222
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Beth, nice blog site - you are a very talented lady.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #223
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

A very happy Tuesday to all of you and pray today is a blessed one for each of you.

Carpenters are here banging away because they are putting in a skylight in the bathroom. We lost our bathroom window when the addition was put on so now we will have some natural light once again.

Today is our granddaughter's 18th birthday - can hardly believe my angel face is that old already - the time flies quicker and quicker.

Tomorrow is Reynolds very last day at the bank. It will be so very nice to have him home with me. We will probably go away very soon to celebrate.

Here is the devotional for today.

Get a Haircut

“These people honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me.” Matthew 15:8

There we were, sitting in the middle of a statewide meeting for ministry leaders when the pastor of a large church leaned over and said to me, “You know, Joe, your hair is too long for you to be able to sing in my choir!” Actually there were probably better reasons that I couldn’t sing in his church choir, but I just smiled and said, “Oh really?”

The guy, who in so many words had told me to “get a haircut,” was a household name in our denomination, was nationally sought after as a preacher, and was what every aspiring minister hoped he could become. So, given how strict he was, you can imagine how shocked I was to later hear that he abandoned his church and family to move in with a woman he had been counseling.

I want to be careful not to sound holier-than-thou, but there is an important lesson here. If we are not careful, we can conform to a bunch of rules that keep us looking good on the outside while ignoring the condition of our hearts. It’s like buying good-looking peaches only to find out that when you cut them open they are bad on the inside.

Jesus confronted this “we’re-OK-because-we-keep-our-rules” attitude when the Pharisees pointed out that the disciples were not washing their hands before they ate. It’s not like the Pharisees were worried about any kind of sanitary issue. No, they had their tunics in a twist because the disciples were breaking a tradition, that is, not following their rules. I’m sure you could have heard a pin drop when Jesus stopped them cold by saying to these keepers of man-made rules, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me’” Matthew 15:7-8. What a gut-wrenching indictment!

So in light of Jesus’ strong words on this point, how do we know when our hearts are far from God? One of the ways we know is when we see our Christianity in terms of the externals. Authentic Christianity is not about the right haircut, being at church every time the doors are opened, serving as an elder or using all of the “Christianese” lingo known to man. You can be all cleaned up on the outside while pride, jealousy, greed, and a dozen other internal demons happily feast on your heart. Let’s remember that “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7).

Jesus longs to have a real heart-to-heart connection with us that expresses our love to Him in heartfelt acts of devotion instead of just living a life of dutifully keeping all the rules. As Paul reminds us in 1 Corinthians 13:3, “If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.”

My pastor friend found that he ended up with nothing when his heart was far from God—no ministry, no family, no devoted relationship with God. Fortunately, he repented and ended up reconciling with his wife. He would be the first to tell you that a true love for Christ cannot be replaced by a squeaky clean record of conduct according to “the rules.” When we let the rules rule, our faith is reduced to something like grocery shopping—it’s just another thing on our list of things to do.

So the choice is yours. Your life can be all about the burdensome duties of your Christianity or about the blessings of a heart that is devoted to Jesus. And, by the way, if your heart belongs to Jesus, the rules will take care of themselves!

OUR JOURNEY…

* Pray and ask God to give you His perspective on the man-made rules in your life. Does He want you to follow them as a sign of respect to people in authority, for the safety of others, for your own safety?
* Divide a sheet of paper into two columns. List five or six of God’s rules in one column and five or six man-made rules in the other column. How are God’s rules different from man-made rules?
* When you interact with people, are you more concerned with what’s on the outside or what’s inside? How does this compare with God’s perspective?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #224
Insane Embellisher

Asking you all to pray for DH today, he is having a really down in the dumps day about the surgery. Please pray for faith and strength for him. Gloria
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #225
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana's cookies View Post
Asking you all to pray for DH today, he is having a really down in the dumps day about the surgery. Please pray for faith and strength for him. Gloria

Dear Lord,

We left up Nana's DH to you today. You know the circumstances surrounding the surgery and all the emotions and thoughts he is experiencing right now. We ask that you would send your Holy Spirit to comfort him and bring him peace. Let him feel your presence all around him. Help him to find strength in you and trust you for all things. We also ask you would give his medical team an abundance of wisdom and guidance as they work on him. Thank you Lord for listening to us and always giving us mercy and grace.

In Your Name we pray-

Amen
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #226
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Gloria, we come together as one lifting you and your sweet husband up to the Lord.

The following was sent to me and thought to share it.

I wrote this poem for a friend of mine that had a very bad accident. A bulldozer rolled over on him when he was at work and now he is a paraplegic. He has NEVER missed a beat in thanking God - even for the accident. He is such an encouragement to me. Believe it or not, though he is paralyzed from the neck down, he has NEVER complained about ANYTHING. I am in awe at his stand for God. His wife is just as thankful. Here is the poem that I feel depicts his life in Christ:

NO MATTER WHAT
(For my friend, John)

If the things I want so much
Are things I never get to touch
If I pray and do my part
If the yearning’s in my heart
ut you don’t answer me
Lord, no matter what I do
I’ll still love you
If you don’t do one thing more
I’ll be happy, that’s for sure
If I long to hear a “yes”
When you know it’d make a mess
So you say “no” to me
I’ll still love you
If you make me wait forever
Or if you should tell me “never”
If you see me through this life
If you get me past the strife
I’ll tell you every day
I’ll still love you
If there is constant pain
And never any gain
If you live within my heart
If I know we’ll never part
And you let me know you’re there
I’ll still love you
Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #227
Stazon Splitcoast

Gloria...will be praying for you and for dh. His surgery is this week, right? the 9th? HUGS!

Caterina, thanks for looking at my blog. I'm hardly talented compared to so many on SCS. But, I do enjoy it. Wow, an 18 yo grandbaby.....it is amazin gthat they don't stay young. My niece turned 13 this summer.....hardly seems possible...seems like she was just born and was my first niece! Nice to have a skylight in the bathroom! And, YIPPY, for 1 more day to go!!!!

Julie...so glad you are enjoying the job this week...that's awesome!

Hi Karen...glad you are having a good week...that's super!

Wendy...wow about the bonus...and what was that food you mentioned? I've not ever heard of it but it sounds kind of interesting.......

Got alittle headache today....hope it is a storm coming in or something because we sure need some rain.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #228

Hi!
It seems to be a rough season!

Everyone around here is a little tender right now. The Edson funeral was Friday.
On Sunday morning, a little girl (7yo) was abducted across the road from her townhouse while she was playing with her brothers. The police issued an Amber Alert. Around 3 pm she wandered into a restaurant about 60 miles west of the city, with $10, and a note that said to help her get home safely. They arrested someone early yesterday morning and he has been charged with sexual assault, sexual interference, and administering a noxious substance (plus kidnapping, blah, blah).
I had to let ds "go" when he went overseas this summer.
Now, I have to let dd "go". We can give her safety rules. But she still walks to school on her own. I can't watch her every moment. It's hard to trust ...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #229
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Beth, hope you feel lots better.

Gail, it is so very difficult to let go and trust in this day and age. Not at all like when we were kids and parents would just let us out and about. Things like that are so very troubling. Thank God this little girl is alive but I am sure she is going to need a lot of help and love getting through such a traumatic event at such a tender age.

April, been thinking about you and hoping all is going well.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #230
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley View Post
Wendy...wow about the bonus...and what was that food you mentioned? I've not ever heard of it but it sounds kind of interesting.......

Got alittle headache today....hope it is a storm coming in or something because we sure need some rain.
Here's a wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgogi
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #231
Stazon Splitcoast

Gail, that is heartbreaking about the little girl. Wow..I'm just glad she is alive but, boy, this will likely give her baggage to carry for the rest of her life.....Lord help her! Your area seems to be hit hard right now, huh? Darn Devil needs to get back to h-e-ll and stay put...leave these innocent ones alone. Honestly, I think people who would commit such crimes are pretty much demon possessed and sick. So sad that they are so messed up to hurt and kill. But, I'm more sad for the little girl, the family of the teenager that was killed and others involved. Heartbreaking for sure.

Duh, WEndy...I guess I could have searched wiki myself....but thanks for the link...I'm such a dork. Didn't even thing about that......in sounds wonderful, actually. Yummy!

Well, we did get a little rain so I guess my headache was from the pressure change or something. I really have no idea...I just blame it on the weather! LOL!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #232
Forum Fanatic

rain makes all my cares flee away
maybe that is what made your headache go away
Old 10-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #233
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Hi!
It seems to be a rough season!

Everyone around here is a little tender right now. The Edson funeral was Friday.
On Sunday morning, a little girl (7yo) was abducted across the road from her townhouse while she was playing with her brothers. The police issued an Amber Alert. Around 3 pm she wandered into a restaurant about 60 miles west of the city, with $10, and a note that said to help her get home safely. They arrested someone early yesterday morning and he has been charged with sexual assault, sexual interference, and administering a noxious substance (plus kidnapping, blah, blah).
I had to let ds "go" when he went overseas this summer.
Now, I have to let dd "go". We can give her safety rules. But she still walks to school on her own. I can't watch her every moment. It's hard to trust ...

Gail ...... In thinking about the dangerous situation in your area where a predator or predators are stalking young girls, I was wondering if Christian parents have thought about organizing prayer watches? The city (or territory) could be divided up into sections and groups of parents could volunteer to pray the Lord's protection over the children in each section of the city.

I remember that something similar was begun a few years back when there were so many shootings in the schools in America. Parents organized and began meeting on school property and praying for the safety of their children.

Rita
Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #234
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all your prayers and kind words the last weeks, I don't know if I'll get on again until after the surgery but will try. It is this Thur. the 9th Beth. The last couple days are so hard, seems we talk to one person and hear one thing then another and hear something else. For example today he called our insurance to make sure things are covered, the girl told him she had talked to the Dr. office and yes it is covered for the wire to be put into the tumor in his lymph node! Talk about putting us in a tail spin!!!!! So he called the office and talked to the nurse only to find out no, it is in the muscle...... and that is only the last of the mix up things that were said. Please pray that there are NO, mix ups the day of his surgery.

Gail, so sorry to hear of yet another sad thing in your area, thank heavens the man was found!

Well I am beat so will head to bed. Gloria
Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #235
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Gloria, Isn't good to know that the Lord is a detail person and we can count on Him to oversee every aspect of the events in our lives.

Trusting and believing God to shower you with His peace, mercy and love and that all will go well tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #236
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Have a blessed day, Ladies.

Jesus, or Me?

“I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” Philippians 3:8

One of my all-time favorite memories about our kids was the time that my 7-year-old daughter Libby asked, “Daddy, are we famous?” My immediate response was, “No, Libby, we’re not famous.” She thought about it for a second and indignantly said, “Well, we would be if more people knew about us!”

I could hardly contain the laughter. Poor Libby, only 7, and already wondering and worried about herself—whether people liked us, or whether or not a lot of people knew about us! Poor Libby, already tied up in the world of “me”! And, unfortunately, this preoccupation with herself is something she will never grow out of, because we all struggle with the irresistible gravity of “me” and the tendency to live as though life is indeed all about “me”!

But I need to tell you, if life is going to be all about you, then someday you will be bored to tears. Listen carefully: If you think you are cool enough to entertain yourself with yourself for your entire life, you are wrong. I want to be gentle here, but no one is special enough to enthrall themselves with themselves for the rest of their lives!

I’m in my sixties, and I have to admit that I am already getting tired of me. I am tired of trying to deal with the insecurities that have haunted me for years. Tired of the failures in my life that I think I have finally gotten victory over just to have them pop up again. Tired of the carnal way I feel when people talk about their favorite preacher and it’s not me! Tired of looking in the rearview mirror and wishing I had done things differently. Tired of the awkward way I feel on those rare occasions when people praise me. I am just flat out getting tired of me.

But after sixty years I have to say that I never get tired of Jesus! I never get tired of praising Him and hearing Him praised. I still stand amazed at His unusual grace and mercy that He continues to pour out on me daily. As life goes on, I find Jesus to be more adventuresome, interesting, challenging, fresh, and compelling than ever before. I continue to find Him wonderfully different—anything but boring! No wonder Paul said that he counted even the best things about himself like dung compared to the surpassing value of getting to know Jesus Philippians 3:7-8!

When we’re young, we’re bullet proof. We think we’ll live forever. But when you get to be my age, you can see your mortality approaching on the horizon. It’s not difficult to see yourself someday sitting alone in the corner of a room at the nursing home waiting for the lunch bell to ring. And, if life has been all about you, that’s going to be a really bad day because there’s nothing left of you that’s worth getting excited about! But if your life has been all about Jesus, it will be a really good day because Jesus will be just as wonderful as He ever has been. And you might just hear Him whisper in your heart, “You’re almost home!”—which would be far better than hearing the lunch bell ring!

You get to choose: Will your life be about Him, or you? Choose Jesus and enjoy the rest of the journey!

OUR JOURNEY…

* In what ways does your life seem to be all about you—with your money, your relationships, your dreams and desires?
* Can you identify with Joe when he says that if life is going to be all about you, you’ll be bored to tears?
* If your life were all about Jesus, what specific differences would be evident in your friendships, with your enemies, in the way you manage your money, in your family?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #237
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

REYNOLD IS OFFICIALLY HOME FOR GOOD.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
REYNOLD IS OFFICIALLY HOME FOR GOOD.
Given the way things are going around here ... I TOTALLY read your post the wrong way the first time ... and read 'home' as in 'heaven' ... and couldn't figure out why you were smiling ...
Then I remembered about retirement, and got it! Duh!

Enjoy your time together!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #239
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

That's okay Gail - Reynold and I are always talking about how happy we will be to get to heaven -- told him I have already planned to go first.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
That's okay Gail - Reynold and I are always talking about how happy we will be to get to heaven -- told him I have already planned to go first.
I told dh I'd kill him if he died first!
(Since he already came close once!)