Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #1841
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning dear friends, thought to drop in with this devotional before going to visit the Cole kids sites and get some cards done.

Expanding Our Moral Vision

Perhaps it is an understatement to suggest that we live in very complicated times with regards to morals and ethics. What has always been accepted as “good” and “right” now appears under constant scrutiny or intentional attack. While there are many reasons for this moral quagmire, the simple fact remains that there are competing moral visions for our world. As Christians, we not only struggle with making our voices heard, but also with articulating a moral vision that expands our views of morality beyond simply calling out what is wrong or what we are against.

An example from our recent past serves to highlight this dilemma. During the election season of 1992, some Christians were scandalized by Billy Graham’s decision to give the inaugural prayer for Bill Clinton. After all, never in any other election, Christians argued, “has a presidential candidate with such an explicitly unbiblical platform been elected to our nation’s highest office.”(1) For these Christians, this presidency was suspect, to say the least, with regards to commonly held standards of morality. Billy Graham’s participation was viewed as an endorsement for Clinton’s values, and it appeared he was compromising on the general standards of right and proper conduct within the Christian community.

Ironically, if morality is defined strictly by the observance of the standards of conduct that are generally accepted as right or proper, then Jesus would have been seen as immoral himself. Indeed, it is one of the great ironies of the Biblical narrative that Jesus was rejected by the religious leaders of his day, and embraced by the “outcasts” of his society. Jesus was aligned with the wrong group of people and this alignment propelled the religious leaders of his day to seek out ways to destroy him (See Mark 3:1-6). They accused him of being possessed by Beelzebub and considered him a lawbreaker. Jesus ate and drank with sinners, he violated the Sabbath, and he critiqued the religious traditions of his day as violating the commands of God. If this wasn’t enough, he called, among other questionable figures, a national traitor--a tax collector--to be among his intimate circle of followers. Clearly, if morality is defined by keeping rules and regulations, drawing lines of inside and outside, and defining people as moral or immoral based on what they did or did not do, then Jesus was not a moral person.

Of course, I am not suggesting that Jesus sinned in any way. He was not immoral in his conduct, even though those around him saw him in this light. Nor am I suggesting that Jesus had no concern about the rules. Indeed, Jesus told those around him, “Unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:20). Jesus was completely moral, but not according to the accepted standards of his day.

In fact, Jesus had an expansive vision of morality. His vision extended to the deepest heart issues: one’s motivation and intention. It wasn’t enough to say one had not committed murder--that is, to measure one’s righteousness by what one had not done. Jesus argued that if a person had hate in his or her heart whatsoever, it was the same as committing murder. Indeed, the Ten Commandments by which Jesus ordered his life were not simply rules one could check off at the end of the day, having affirmed one’s own sense of morality. Jesus expands the letter of the Law to the spirit, or intent, of the Law. This is how Jesus could summarize the entire Law in one saying: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with your mind....you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 22:37-40). Jesus based his moral vision and measured morality on the depth of love demonstrated for God and for one’s neighbor.

For instance, when Jesus healed on the Sabbath Day, he violated the commonly held standard of what could be done on that day. Yet, while Jesus clearly violated the Pharisees’ sense of right and wrong, in doing so, he fulfilled the Law to love God and his neighbor as himself. Likewise, Jesus sought to expand the moral vision when he argued that what God had joined together should not be rent asunder, even though Moses permitted divorce. In his life and ministry, Jesus demonstrated that the Ten Commandments were not given in order to measure righteousness in comparison to others. The Commandments were not given so that we could judge others on how far short they fall from “accepted standards.” Instead, the Commandments show how far short we fall in our ability to love both God and neighbor with our whole selves.

These are indeed conflicting and confusing times. But they are not at all different from Jesus’s day in that there are still those who are called “sinners” and those who deem themselves “righteous.” Jesus exemplified a moral vision that went beyond these distinctions and revealed the motivation and intention of the heart. He revealed an expanded vision of morality rooted and grounded in love--love for God and neighbor. It is a vision that calls us all to account for our lives and our actions. Thus, just as we are called to give account, may our appeal to morality for others e
merge from that same expanded vision of the greatest of all commands.

Margaret Manning is a member of the speaking and writing team at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries in Seattle, Washington.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #1842
Stazon Splitcoast

I received this devotional from Rick Warren today and thought it was quite timely....and wanted to share.

---------------------

When the Future Seems Uncertain
by Rick Warren

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans … to give you a future and a hope … You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest.” Jeremiah 29:11, 13 (LB)

No matter what the pollsters, pundits, and prognosticators claim, no one can accurately predict all that is going to happen in the next year, let alone the next few days or weeks. Our best forecasts are just educated guesses.

Change is not only increasing in speed and intensity, but also in unpredictability. How can anyone succeed when the future is so uncertain?

The Bible suggests three timeless principles for facing an uncertain future:

1. Set goals according to God’s direction. It’s foolish to make plans without first consulting God. He’s the only one who does know the future – and he’s eager to guide you through it.

The Bible says, “We may make our plans, but God has the last word” (Proverbs 16:1 GNT). In other words, planning without praying is presumption. Start by praying, “God, what do you want me to do in 2009?”

2. Live one day at a time. While you can plan for tomorrow, you can’t live it until it arrives. Most people spend so much time regretting the past and worrying about the future, they have no time to enjoy today!

John Lennon once wrote, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” Decide to make the most of each moment this year. Jesus said, “Don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time” (Matthew 6:34 LB).

3. Don’t procrastinate. Do it now! “Don’t boast about what you’re going to do tomorrow, for you don’t know what a day may bring forth” (Proverbs 27:1).

Procrastinating is a subtle trap. It wastes today by postponing things until tomorrow. You promise yourself that you’ll do it “one of these days.” But “one of these days” is usually “none of these days.”

What did you plan to get done last year that you didn’t do? When do you intend to start working on it?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #1843
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
Caterina, I've followed this from the start, I sent them a card in the beginning. My heart just aches for them right now, Karen was always so quick to offer encouragement to others on here. I will be sure to get a card out to her soon.

I hope everyone else is doing well, I'm off to work in an hour, get to sub at the school and do recess today. At least it isn't raining, so I'm happy to get out of the house a while.

Jan, I hope everyone in your house gets better on the double, and that you and DH don't come down with it yourselves. What a challenge sick kids are.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Julie,
Checked out your gallery...very pretty cards. I might have to case one or two sometime.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #1844
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampinglunchlady View Post
I am so sorry for all the illness. Saying a quick prayer for healing in all families.
My first day was wonderfulll!!!!!!!!!!!!! Little children are great, all eager to have school lunch and they say thank you to all of us. I never said your welcome so much in one day ever. All the ladies I work with are regulare church goers. All diff ones, one girl's grandma goes to my church! I know her name and face but don't really know her. I already know some of the teachers at this school so seeing them was nice. Today was an easy day, tomorrow I make the rolls, sure hope I remember all the special instructions we have perfected over the years.
gotta go make dinner, thanks so much for all your support. I really think this is the best thing to do at this time. More later
God Bless
Hi Margy!
So glad your first day was so good. How wonderful that all your co-workers are Christian. Hope your rolls turned out superb today.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #1845
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Okay, I need to vent here a little bit. I just got an e-mail from DS's teacher with a list of things he was supposed to have done by now (5 things). So I asked him about them - three of them he finished "a long time ago" and just hadn't turned in. One of them was a paper that I'm supposed to sign over the weekend and he turns it in Monday AM. Didn't turn that in either. Then the other assignment was something that was supposed to be done over the weekend. I SPECIFICALLY asked him on FRIDAY if he had homework to get done over the weekend and he said no. Arrrgh. I asked him if he lied and he said yes.

This kid already spent half the weekend locked in his room for mouthing off to me on Saturday. I do not know what is going on. He'll be 11 next month, is this what I have to look forward to the next 8 years? He's always been so easy and good. So now his computer and the Wii are off limits until this weekend, but I feel like this isn't enough punishment.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sounds like your ds is trying to fly all by himself. One of our grandsons has played a similar "game" with his parents, and they have really struggled with his irresponsible actions and the lies. Both are teachers, too, so it has felt like a double whammy to them.

Just a suggestion that might help: stay in touch with his teacher through emails; that is, if the teacher is willing to do that. Maybe start out by having her email you a certain day of the week with a report of turned-in assignments. Or maybe your ds can email you from school with what he's handed in and he can cc the email to his teacher. Those are just a couple of things that my son & DIL have done...results were sometimes really good, sometimes not so hot.

Praying for a positive resolution for a tough and disappointing problem.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #1846
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley View Post
Prayer request if you would....I have a bride and her mother coming over tomorrow to look at the centerpieces. Just pray it goes okay and that they like it and 'sign me on!'. LOL! I'm sort of nervous about it.

Thanks ladies. Hugs and prayers for all......and hope all the sick kiddies get better....
Praying for a great session with the bride and her mom. And...praying for a calm and confident Beth.

Last edited by naner0331; 02-10-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary stuff
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #1847
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Glad to hear the news. Four hours! That's fast!

Wow, Gail! I took the time to check out your gallery...didn't get all the way through it yet. FANTASTIC! You have so much stuff on there from regionals...great ideas and great pictures. Love your scrap pages, too. TFS.

Last edited by naner0331; 02-10-2009 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling..must be having a bad typing day!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #1848
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleeK View Post
Mine were all about 4 hours. I remember them telling me it was unusual.
I was fine with it!
My middle son was born 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital. My last one was 2 1/2 hours. I don't want to talk about the first one.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #1849
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Okay, I need to vent here a little bit. I just got an e-mail from DS's teacher with a list of things he was supposed to have done by now (5 things). So I asked him about them - three of them he finished "a long time ago" and just hadn't turned in. One of them was a paper that I'm supposed to sign over the weekend and he turns it in Monday AM. Didn't turn that in either. Then the other assignment was something that was supposed to be done over the weekend. I SPECIFICALLY asked him on FRIDAY if he had homework to get done over the weekend and he said no. Arrrgh. I asked him if he lied and he said yes.

This kid already spent half the weekend locked in his room for mouthing off to me on Saturday. I do not know what is going on. He'll be 11 next month, is this what I have to look forward to the next 8 years? He's always been so easy and good. So now his computer and the Wii are off limits until this weekend, but I feel like this isn't enough punishment.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Mine seems to have gotten this a little earlier than yours, but we are going through the same thing.

I do two things: his computer time, which during the school year is limited to weekends and holidays ONLY, is tied to his homework. He has to complete everything in order to get his time. I told him that it is like a job: homework is the work he does and computer time is his paycheck.

The other thing is that I give my kids money for good grades. $2 for every A on a report card, $1 for every B.

Where this has fallen down for us is that his teacher this year (the second one...the first one got hired away to a public school) seems to be very easy on the kids as far as their work goes. That doesn't help much. My son can goof off more than I consider acceptable and still pull in B's on some subjects.

The other place is that it is hard to know what he has to do if he does not bring home his planner or write his assignments in it to begin with. His teacher had promised us an email where we could get in touch with her and we haven't gotten that yet. She promised a website where we could find out what was going on each week and we haven't gotten that either. To her defense she is very pregnant right now, so now we have a THIRD teacher to look forward to soon as she goes on maternity leave.

BTW, DS and my oldest DD are back in school, but I still have DD#2 at home because her stomach hurt this morning. I still haven't gotten it and keep washing my hands and disinfecting things often, so hopefully I won't. DH had a touch of it, but he didn't have to throw up and it didn't keep him at home.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #1850
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris View Post
I received this devotional from Rick Warren today and thought it was quite timely....and wanted to share.

[/SIZE]
Doris,
Your devotional is fantastic. Do you subscribe to Rick Warren's devotions? If so, what's the site?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #1851
Pearl-ExPert

Elee: I am sorry...i did not notice (DUH!) that Divine Design was in your sig.

Doris & Caterina: Loved the devos thank you.

Caterina: Glad the family arrived fine and dandy.

Margy: Good Wishes on your first day.

Jan: i pray the illness stops at your house.

Beth: did you ask about a stamp that said "For God So Love the World that He gave His Son...etc.? (not to chop off God's word)? I found some.
Let me know if it was you looking or someone else...oh my memory!

Gotta go get some things done.

Love to you all. & BBL

toni
http://www.39thaveink.blogspot.com
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #1852
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by naner0331
Doris,
Your devotional is fantastic. Do you subscribe to Rick Warren's devotions? If so, what's the site?
Here is the site...

http://www.saddlebackresources.com/e...eResources.htm
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #1853
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris View Post

Thanks, Doris! Have a great afternoon!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #1854
Kookie Creator

I'm looking for a recipe I used to have for making Mock Angel Food cake out of a white cake mix. The recipe used to be on a box of white cake mix. Do any of you happen to have that recipe? I've tried a search using Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, etc., but nothing so far. Even tried Taste of Home and Cooking.com. I'd like to make that cake for my in-law's anniversary party this Saturday.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #1855
Forum Fanatic

I think my new glasses [bifocals] are giving me neck/shoulder ache problems. I woke in pain this morning. It sounds odd certainly, but all day I am wobbling my head around trying to find the "sweet" spot where things are not blurry. I am trying to wear them all the time for the first 3 weeks like the dr. suggested but this is ridiculous. Can't just move my eyes, must be my entire head all the time now. urg
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #1856
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon everyone!

Good advice, Jan, for Julie. Oh, my..I can barely wait till the tween ages! LOL!

Loved both devos today...thanks ladies for posting....especialy liked the insights about our counry and all...it is good to remember who is REALLY in control.

Oh, Elee..so sorry for the neck/back issues with the glasses. What a pain...literally. I hope you get used to them or get it sorted out. How long have you had them? Did the doc give any advice?? I got a triple berry blend of frozen berries today from my Schwan man to make your scones......must have them soon!

Thanks for the prayers, Elaine! You are too sweet. Hey, did you check out Foodtv.com for the recipe? That is usually where I go first when I can't find something....that recipe doesn't sound familiar to me but it sure sounds good...if you track it down, post it for us!

Tonni, no it wasn't me looking for that stamp set.....but it sounds like an eat set.

Wel, these kids will be up soon...onlyhave 2o thers here this afternoon plus my Sam. Been a nice quiet day. The rest of the week is a zoo but nice for today!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #1857
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina, keep forgetting to say that I'm glad ds and family got home safe and sound. I bet they had a grand trip, though, didn't they?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #1858
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
I think my new glasses [bifocals] are giving me neck/shoulder ache problems. I woke in pain this morning. It sounds odd certainly, but all day I am wobbling my head around trying to find the "sweet" spot where things are not blurry. I am trying to wear them all the time for the first 3 weeks like the dr. suggested but this is ridiculous. Can't just move my eyes, must be my entire head all the time now. urg
Have you had bifocals before? I know when I got my (first) pair, it took me over a month to 'get' them. So everything was blurry for a month, but it got better! Try not to look at so much!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #1859
Forum Fanatic

No, Gail, this is my first official pair. I have been getting by with the magnifier glasses from the grocer for the last few months but taking off/putting on gets old too. I am so very intrigued with some new challenges here that I have been stamping and studying and dreaming of pages I want to put together. This will be my very first scrapbook ever so I am a little intimidated. Because the subject is His Holy Name, I want it to be nicely done. I have been on the computer less which is a good thing as far as cutting down the amount of "looking" I could be doing each day.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #1860
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Oh, Elee..so sorry for the neck/back issues with the glasses. What a pain...literally. I hope you get used to them or get it sorted out. How long have you had them? Did the doc give any advice??
I am going to give it at least a few more days before I go in and have him check them for accuracy. The invisible line thingie may be in the wrong place for me. Who knows.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #1861
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by naner0331 View Post
I'm looking for a recipe I used to have for making Mock Angel Food cake out of a white cake mix. The recipe used to be on a box of white cake mix. Do any of you happen to have that recipe? I've tried a search using Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Duncan Hines, etc., but nothing so far. Even tried Taste of Home and Cooking.com. I'd like to make that cake for my in-law's anniversary party this Saturday.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
I think SCS has a recipe section. Have you asked there yet? Maybe set up a S.O.S. thread. Look or maybe post here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...splay.php?f=70
Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #1862
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks for the prayers, Elaine! You are too sweet. Hey, did you check out Foodtv.com for the recipe? That is usually where I go first when I can't find something....that recipe doesn't sound familiar to me but it sure sounds good...if you track it down, post it for us!
Thanks for the sugg. on my cake question. I checked out foodnetwork.com...can't find what I wanted but did find a lemon cake from Paula Dean. Sounds really good, too...has a lemon filling that goes inbetween the two layers. Haven't made a layer cake in years, especially a cake "from scratch"; that brings back memories from my 4-H days when I put baking soda in my county fair entry...recipe called for baking powder; had to re-bake the cake, got a blue ribbon! I'll probably have to do a test cake first...who do you think might eat that? Maybe I'll take it to the local Hospice Cottage if it turns out. Anyway, to be asked to bake a cake for my in-law's 67th anniversary is an honor, so I want it to be very special.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1863
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I think SCS has a recipe section. Have you asked there yet? Maybe set up a S.O.S. thread. Look or maybe post here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...splay.php?f=70
Thanks EleeK. I'll check that out right now.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #1864
Kookie Creator

Quote:
No luck on the food forum, but I started a new thread...don't think it's quite kosher to pray for the response I want, but maybe????? Tee. Hee.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #1865
Die Cut Diva

Hi friends ... just a quick note to let you know that I continue to read your posts each day. Just before going to sleep each night (and sometimes during the day as the Lord brings you to mind) I bring you and your needs before Him.

My dh has had a bad cold and I've had some back, shoulder and neck pain ... I think this may be sort of a cold in my muscles (is there such a thing????). I've gotten some relief by using a moist heating pad and by taking hot showers. Anyway, we are both feeling better.

Hugs,

Rita R
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #1866
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Rita, so so sorry you and your husband are not feeling well... may the Lord touch each of you with His protective healing hands.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #1867
Die Cut Diva

Toni ... Last week you mentioned some books by Bob Sorge that you like. I may have a chance to visit a Christian book store next week and I plan on checking out the titles you mentioned.

Rita R
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #1868
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Rita, so so sorry you and your husband are not feeling well... may the Lord touch each of you with His protective healing hands.
Thank you, Caterina. Our ailments are nothing compared to all you have been dealing with. I keep you in my prayers.

Hugs .... Rita
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #1869
Forum Fanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by naner0331 View Post
No luck on the food forum, but I started a new thread...don't think it's quite kosher to pray for the response I want, but maybe????? Tee. Hee.
God cares about the smallest of details and hears every prayer. Isn't that just like a good Dad!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #1870
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
I am going to give it at least a few more days before I go in and have him check them for accuracy. The invisible line thingie may be in the wrong place for me. Who knows.
It really does take awhile to get used to them.
I think I went back about four times to have them checked ... and they were fine. It just took that long!

Try not to switch from close to far away (if you're reading, don't keep looking up to check the TV ... it'll drive you nuts!)

Basically ... bear with it. But ya, after a week, get them to check ... if only for your peace of mind.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #1871
Stazon Splitcoast

Rita, sorry you guys have beenunder the weather. Not fun at all but am glad you are on the mend.

Durn glasses, Faith. I just had to get cheapo glasse from the drug store for reading and doing close up work on my cards. Wonder if bifocals are in my future too.....Hope you get use to them soon!

Elaine, hope someone responds with THE recipe! Hey, I'll be happy to try whatever you make! I'm a sucker, I'll admit. Will eat almost anything except brussel sprouts!

Hey, the bride came over and loved my samples...yppy! She ordered 22 of the taller lantern type ones. The wedding is April 4 so I have some work to do. I was all relaxed and comfortable, the boys were good, dh was home shortly to entertain them so it all just worked out fine. Thanks for your prayers.

Okay, off to bed after wefinish watching American Idol...we taped it and are just now watching it.

Night night!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #1872
Insane Embellisher

So late getting on today, this morning was a busy one with the usual everyday things and then sorry to say I had not gotten to read my lesson for the Bible study until today. Some how we always seem to get it all done though and what we don't usually can wait until tomorrow. Only had 4 at Bible study this afternoon some are still south and west for the winter. We finished the study of Daniel and next month we will start Esther.

Elee, sorry you are having so much trouble with your glasses, I know when I first got my bifocals felt like I was doing a "mating" dance trying to read the things on the grocery shelves. ... Now have had trifocals for years and have had no problem with those. Husband just couldn't get used to the "no line" ones so had to get the bifocals with the lines. Hope yours will work out real soon for you. Bet you'll make some wonderful scrap book pages for the "in his name" book you want to make.

Beth, thanks for telling me about April. Hope no more sick kids today. What did the 'bride" decide on when she looked at all the cute things you made?

Caternia, Bet the kids had tons of things to tell you about their trip? Was it a first airplane ride for them? Thanks for the devotional.

Doris, loved your devotional to, it is so easy to get caught up in the worry of what is going on in the country and our world. I pray that we can put it all in Gods hands and then ask him what we each should do. I know we thing so often of the ones that do not even have a roof over their heads or food, things we take for granted each day. Our church works with the soup kitchen here in town, and then with other church's to provide a place where families can come to sleep at night and have a hot meal, and then help them move into a home and job.

Rita, sorry to hear the two of you aren't feeling well, aches and pains are never any fun.

Margy, bet the kids loved your rolls. Does your school make things from scratch?

Julie, just knew everyone would have some good ideas for you with your son.

Toni, a big hi to you and all the rest.

It has rained here most of the day, we have a HUGE puddle in the yard, think about the people that have fish houses out, it must be a mess to try and get them off in case it gets cold again and rain turns to ice.

Well night everyone, hope you found your recipe nanner. Gloria
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #1873
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Rita, sorry you guys have beenunder the weather. Not fun at all but am glad you are on the mend.

Durn glasses, Faith. I just had to get cheapo glasse from the drug store for reading and doing close up work on my cards. Wonder if bifocals are in my future too.....Hope you get use to them soon!

Elaine, hope someone responds with THE recipe! Hey, I'll be happy to try whatever you make! I'm a sucker, I'll admit. Will eat almost anything except brussel sprouts!

Hey, the bride came over and loved my samples...yppy! She ordered 22 of the taller lantern type ones. The wedding is April 4 so I have some work to do. I was all relaxed and comfortable, the boys were good, dh was home shortly to entertain them so it all just worked out fine. Thanks for your prayers.

Okay, off to bed after wefinish watching American Idol...we taped it and are just now watching it.

Night night!
Beth, with all your wonderful talent, there was never a doubt in my mind that they would love your work....
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #1874
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Elee, have worn glasses since the beginning of time due to nearsightedness and have been dealing with trifocals for a few years... it does take time to get used to them. Have always disliked glasses but they are a necessary evil......

Gloria, both Camron and Conrad have made trips to Poland with their mom since they were infants. Magda tries to get home as much as possible to visit with her family - sometimes twice a year.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #1875
Kookie Creator

Quote:
God cares about the smallest of details and hears every prayer. Isn't that just like a good Dad!
So funny!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #1876
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I've got the lines in my glasses. Started with bifocals probably 20 years ago and went to trifocals 3 years ago...tried the no-line then, but they made me literally ill...dizzy, off-balance. Went back after a couple of weeks and had the lenses changed to the lines. DH has no-lines and never had a problem. He thought I was too picky with my complaints. Go figure. Hang in there, Elee...I wish I could have worn the no-lines 'cause they look nicer.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #1877
Kookie Creator

Good morning ladies.

I just got back from PT; today was my second time. It's going good and I like the therapist. Nice thing is I can do it at our local hospital...only about 3 miles from where we live.

Our 40 degree weather blew away last night; today is back to the 30's with strong NW winds...feels like it about 20. The good thing is a lot of snow melted over the past couple of days.

I'm tired today; didn't sleep very well last night. My shoulder was being uncooperative causing me to be restless. Just when I would get comfortable and doze off, DH would roll over and snore in my ear; I'm sure my restlessness was keeping him from a deep sleep and that's when he gets noisy.

Rita, praying for the Lord to grant you and DH speedy recoveries.

Beth, CONGRATULATIONS! Ya just got what it takes, girl, when it comes to creativity.

Caterina, how's your shoulder doing?

Gloria, love your posts. I haven't found my recipe yet. Have searched and searched...no luck. I checked the comments on the Paula Deen Lemon Cake to see what people thought...some good stuff, some bad stuff.

My tummy is growling like a naked banshee. Must be yogurt time.

Blessings to all.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #1878
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Hello dear friends, it is nearly 70 degrees today!! PTL!

Hope each one of you are having a blessed day. My arm/shoulder pain has eased up a bit and do thank you all for your prayers. Still giving thought to surgery but not sure about it as long as the pain is not too bad -- surgery is something that is always an option should it act up again.

Biggest problem right now is insomnia and severe GERD - have a call in for my dear gastro guy -- so looking forward to that brand new body from God.

Here is a devotional from Joe Stowell.

Joy of Loving Jesus

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

We’ve all done the “Knock, knock! Who’s there?” routine. But what would you do if Jesus was knocking at your door and it was not really a “knock, knock” joke at all?

Well, that’s exactly the setting in Christ’s letter to the church in Laodicea. Out of the seven letters in Revelation to the churches of Asia, the Laodiceans have the distinct honor of the strongest reproof. And that’s saying something since some of the other churches were entertaining heresy in their teaching and encouraging sexual immorality! Jesus lets the Laodiceans know in no uncertain terms how He feels, when He writes, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16). Which is a nice way of saying, “You make me sick, and I feel like vomiting!” Really. That’s how strong the language is.

I don’t ever want Jesus to say that about me. Do I have a witness?

So what’s the problem? Jesus explains that He is deeply offended by them because, as He says, “You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (v. 17). Their affluence had not only blinded them to the true condition of their hearts but had inflicted them with the sin of self-sufficiency. Because they had all they needed, they felt like they had need of nothing—not even Christ. When we forget how desperately we really need Jesus, it bothers Him, and it should! We easily forget that every good thing we have comes from God (James 1:17). None of us would have a dime to our name or clothes on our back if it weren’t for the grace of God in our lives, providing everything we need in abundance. How can we get so consumed with all the gifts that we forget the giver? Thinking we have it made without needing Him just may be life’s most fatal spiritual mistake.

Where does it leave Jesus when we are caught up in our self-sufficient world? It leaves Him on the outside! Toward the end of His comments to the Laodiceans, He says, “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me” (v.20). I love the fact that Jesus, though offended by our sense of flagrant independence, still wants us! He still longs for the intimate fellowship that occurred around the dinner tables of the ancient world. And don’t think you are off the hook just because you think that the knocking on the door metaphor is about non-Christians accepting Christ. Don’t miss the point! In this text, Jesus is talking to Christians. To people like you and me who because of our God-supplied abundance no longer sing the old song, “I need Thee, O I need Thee; every hour I need Thee…”

He calls us to repent (v. 19) and to open the door of our hearts to let Him in. He calls us to pursue the riches of fellowship with Him and to covet the things that money can’t buy but that He can supply—the real wealth of character, purity, and wisdom (v.18. Imagine the “dining room” of your life filled with an attitude of gratitude for what you have (which beats attitudes of greed and grumpiness), contentment with what you have (which beats being out of breath trying to get your hands on the next best thing), and humility that you have been given anything at all (which beats thinking that you really deserve all of the stuff)!

Knock, knock! Who’s there? It’s Jesus! Welcome Him in today.

Our Journey . . .

* Read Revelation 3:14-22 as if Jesus were speaking directly to you. Specifically jot down how His words to His followers in Laodicea apply to you. What will you do to reprioritize your life and turn from the sin of self-sufficiency to a fresh sense of daily reliance on Jesus?
* Take a look around you, and let all your material stuff serve as reminders that God has been generous beyond what you deserve! What if it all were lost? Would you feel that He really is all you need?
* Write a prayer responding to the Lord’s statements in Revelation 3. Invite Him to come in. Repent of the self-sufficiency that has blocked the reality of how desperately you need Him.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #1879
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, that's so good, Caterina. So often we..or *I*...get caught up thnking "Hey, look waht I did" but realy ...it ALLL comes from God. Apart from Him, we can do nothing!

You two girls with your poor shoulders....Elaine and Caterina. Bless your hearts..that is just not any fun at all. Sorry about the sleeplessnights..that would drive me bonkers. Elaine, that snoring drives me bonkers too. I finally got the earplugs anduse thems oemtimes when I can't get to sleep. I'm usually in bed before dh so I try to be deep in a sleep beforehe comes upstairs...it's just harder for me to fall asleep if he's there reading his book or snoring...I want it QUIET! LOL! Earplugs do drown out alot of that noise!

Well, I'm going to go figure out how much paper I need. I was hoping the colors she wanted were SU colors but the green is one I got at Mikes...and the purple color...I think I got at Mikes too.....I'm gonna go look..it's in my gallery so maybe yo uall can tell me what color it is. LOL!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #1880
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, here is the color she wants...this color but the lantern type thingy....I don't think t his is a su color. I think I put lovely lilac but I dont' think it is.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=40722