Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #801
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

My dear, dear sweet friends, thank you all for your prayers and encouragement. You all are a blessing to me.

April sweetie, pregnancy can make you a little out of sorts - just hang in there. Gail gave some very good advice so I here to say amen to her post.

Slept most of the weekend away to get through the vertigo and today seems to be a bit of a better one. PTL! The most difficult thing for me is knowing that I could be doing something worthwhile instead of laying around in bed - so many people need ministering - especially these wonderful beautiful children who are battling cancer. Reynold helps me to put things in perspective and realize that I can only do what I can do and leave to the Lord the rest.

Here is a good devotional that struck me.

The Sky Is Falling
Jill Carattini

Chicken Little is afraid. The sky is falling and she needs to tell the king. She dashes off as fast as she can, running into friends along the way with whom she shares her fear. “The sky is falling!” she yells, and her worried friends join the race to find the king.

The well-known misadventures of Chicken Little and her friends tell a tale of fear and its infectious grasp. Chicken Little had been minding her own business when out of nowhere an acorn fell on her head. Her assumption and subsequent proclamation of the absolute worst case scenario caused hysteria wherever she went. The moral of the story is usually something about the dangers of jumping to conclusions or believing everything you hear. But the message we seem most to have identified with is one pertaining to fear. Chicken Little’s mantra, “The sky is falling,” has become a phrase used to indicate the belief that disaster is imminent, however reasonably or unreasonably surmised. It seems like we have been hearing it a lot this year.

From reports of wide-reaching economic devastation, unanswered corruption in Africa, the dangers of tainted drinking-water, or even the black atmospheric cloud looming over Asia, the sound of alarm is uninterrupted. The current worldwide tenor is one fear and uncertainty. The sky indeed seems to be falling, and depending on the knock these stories make on our heads we may even join in the commotion. Broader cultural anxieties add to this sense of fearful doom. If we are not consumed by soaring costs of living, increasing cancer rates, and declining education scores, we are fearful of the multiple ways in which our children face dangers that we did not, within a world where uncertainty now seems the only certainty.

Playing on these anxieties, politicians, marketers, and media producers know well that fear is a compelling motivator, and a profitable one at that. Like the music man in the Broadway musical, if they can convince us that “There’s trouble right here in River City,” we will hear what they have to say and open our minds (or wallets) to do something about it. Just this week a news blurb about “the dangers of teeth whitening” commanded my fearful attention and convinced me to stay tuned.

While the worry and unrest that is ever being stirred into the worldwide caldron may indeed be based on real concerns, the combined ingredients in this pressure-cooker are at best a recipe for misperception. I read the “terrifying true story” of the Ebola virus in high school and became far more terrified that I would die of a super-virus than I have ever been impressed with the eradication of serious illnesses like polio, measles, or smallpox. Focusing on our fears, ever-reacting to our worries, and accepting this culture of fear as a given, not only affects our subsequent reasoning, living, and faithfulness, our fears in fact become us. Our fears tell us how to spend our money, raise our children, vote in an election, and participate in (or isolate ourselves from) society. We become no different than Chicken Little or the slave in Jesus’s parable who withdrew in fear of his master and buried his talent in the sand.

Yet the harsh rebuke of this slave in the parable of the talents makes it clear that safe-living is not an option, nor an ultimate value, in the kingdom of God. So is there a distinctively Christian alternative to the atmosphere of fear that is so pervasive and contagious? The parable of the talent asks us to see the power and control we allow to masquerade as security and so convince ourselves that we are living wisely, even morally upright, when we are really living in fear. These fears move us to withdraw from the very kingdom Jesus calls us to join and join with him in announcing. Instead of moving further up and farther into the kingdom he proclaimed among us, we dig for our souls a place in the outer darkness.

There is indeed an alternative, but it is neither safe nor easy. It involves laying down our fears to follow Christ with faith’s daring; it involves opening our lives to a world that scares us, and rejecting the anxiety of a world convinced the sky is falling. The Christian alternative to a culture of fear is a kingdom of hospitality and abundance, vulnerability and generosity, love and self-sacrifice--the very kingdom Christ shaped with his living and dying, and invites us to do the same.

“Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”(1)

Jill Carattini is managing editor of A Slice of Infinity at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries in Atlanta, Georgia.

(1) Matthew 16:24.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #802
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
April ...
First ... remember that right now you have "pregnancy brain" ... your hormones are all wacky ... and sometimes pregnancy brain turns little things into big things ...
Second ... a husband and wife disagreeing, having an argument, is not awful, is not the end of the world. More important ... when it's over, can you find a middle ground ... or a way to be happy together? IT's not the end of the world for kids to see their parents argue ... but it's important that they see the apologies, the "making up" (well, part of it anyhow ), and learn that disagreements aren't fatal to relationships.
Third ... I can't believe you've already done most of your Christmas shopping! I haven't even started!!! (And I need something for my sister before Dec 1, so my parents can take it down to her with them!).
Fourth ... Pregnancy is overwhelming. Parenthood can be overwhelming. Kids are overwhelming. I think I live in a state of overwhelm. But (slowly) I've learned that God will get me through it, no matter how tough it seems.
Next ... SU! ... If you do not meet your minimums by the end of December, then you have until the end of January to order what you missed, plus and extra $100. Then ... you have Feb/Mar to place the next $200 to finish off your minimums.
If you don't place the order by the end of January, you have two options. You can ask SU! for a one-time extension ... but you'll still need to meet both mins. by the end of March. ... or ... you drop. It's not the end of the world. SU! sends you a nice letter saying we're sorry you had to drop.
If you want to rejoin, then you will need to buy the Starter Kit again. And then you start over ... whenever that is.

Take care girl ... I'll be prayin' for you and the babe.
buying a new starter kit doesnt sound so horrible lol 200 for 300 worht of supplies...
maybe i'd be better off on abreak now anywyas , newborn first time parents im not sure im gonna have so much time to owrk on anything anywyas...id miss the dicounts bulk buys and preprders though....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #803
Matboard Maniac

on a nother note i am glad you are feeling better caterina
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #804
Hardware Hotshot

Just checking in ! Am doing well.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #805
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies!

Hope you all are having a wonderful Monday!
Just wanted to pop in.....
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #806
Matboard Maniac

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/

they have crockpot meals and make ahead meals...
Old 11-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #807
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hi back Doris!

Good to see ya!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #808
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonstamps View Post
Just checking in ! Am doing well.

Good to hear from you --- what an absolutely adorable, precious baby!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #809
Polyshrink Goddess

Happy Monday everyone, wow took me alittle time to catch up. Dh and I have been catching up on a few chores and going out with family. Wow 2 nights in a row for dinner somewhere else. Caterina thanks for the devos. Am praying you get well soon. Am glad you had a good time with the grandkids, we saw all of ours on Sat. spent the evening at dd's home with football and good food. Dd's inlaws were here from outof town, so we played games after dinner, it was great fun.
April youhang in there, I am sure if you droped you would be able to get on again.
Jan I just keep praying for you, i know you will work it out.
Hello Gail, Gloria, Toni, Doris, Wendy, Beth Rita. Hope you have a good tomorrow.
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #810
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi everyone. Just checking in real quick. Caterina thanks for the devo. and I hope you are feeling better.

I had a rough weekend, I battled a migraine for most of the day Saturday. I'm also a little bit worried about my BFF, she's having a health issue that I won't go into detail here. This is one of those things that could either be nothing or something serious. So no relaxing walk on Sunday either. But on the plus side, I finally started my Christmas cards

I had to work today, and will again on Thursday and Friday. I'm really hoping I can get tomorrow and Wednesday off. Anyway, that's all for now, I'm exhausted tonight. Hope everyone is doing well.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #811
Stampin' Fool

Good evening ladies

Boy, I missed a lot the past few days...
I will pray for health and peace for my stampin' sisters in Christ.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. DH still hasn't said much about Thanksgiving at my folks. He did say one thing though...he said I hadn't tried hard enough yet to convince him to go...hmmmm...that's really got me puzzled. I almost feel ashamed to say that I'm so excited to go whether or not he goes with me and the girls. I hope that's not wrong. I know biblically speaking he comes first after God. My family all live near each other but so far from me...I believe the actual distance via highway is about 350 miles....I'm tired and rambling, so I'd better go finish my Bible study and head for bed. Speaking of Bible study, here's a verse from today's study that seems appilcable for all of our situations...

"Peace I leave with you: My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful."
-John 14:27
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."-Matthew 5:16
Old 11-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #812
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Lisa, sounds as if your husband may be having second thoughts and now may want you to 'convince' him of his position. He may want to engage you in some conversation because of something going on within him - definitely seems puzzling and perhaps more drawing out might reveal what is truly at the root.

Thanks so much for the beautiful encouraging verse.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #813
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Devotional for the day.

Proper Fear
Margaret Manning

Recently on a drive through a small, suburban town, I saw the following message on a church sign: “Afraid of burning? Apply Son-screen.” I’ve seen similar messages like this one. “How will you spend eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking?” “Life is Hard. Afterlife is Harder!” “WARNING: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning!” While there may be a pithy cleverness to some of these church slogans, I am bothered by the use of fear as a primary motivator for entering into a relationship with God. Why would we want to “scare” people into the kingdom? Is fear the best apologetic for Christians?

Of course, the Scriptures are replete with admonitions to fear the Lord. We all know the familiar Proverb: “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (1:7). But the fear of God is quite different from being afraid. Actually, the fear of the Lord is a component of faith; it arises from knowledge of God and from within the context of relationship with God. The fear of the Lord is reverence for who God is, and it reminds us of our place and our standing before that God. We are finite and fallen. God is infinite and holy. Fear is simply another name for the wonder, reverence, and praise we owe to God our Creator.

Now, perhaps these church billboards have a hint of this understanding in their message, but I suspect the motivation, even if unintentional, is to make people afraid of God so that they will turn to God and be spared. But here I believe we confuse God’s judgment with punishment. Often, we want to punish others, or we have misplaced the desire to see others punished for a sense of justice. In contrast, the desire for justice is the desire to see things put right, made right by God. As Jesus prayed, “Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” This is a prayer for God’s justice to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Rather than using an apologetic of fear and bidding the world to see all that is fearfully wrong, we are instead exhorted in Scripture to proclaim all that God has set right in Jesus Christ: “Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were entreating through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God” (2 Corinthians 5:18-21).

Interestingly enough, more than any other command in Scripture, we are commanded to “fear not,” “do not be afraid.”(1) In fact, there are 366 commands (one for every day of the year and for Leap Year) to not be afraid. So why do we want to use fear to try to persuade others of the good news of the gospel? Does fear have any place in the gospel message? In Jesus’s teaching and message, he reserved his warnings of judgment for those who considered themselves in the “right” with God--those who defined their righteousness by their own merits. Jesus never used fear to convert sinners. Rather, Jesus extended hospitality to those who were on the outside. Indeed, in his message announcing “the kingdom of heaven is at hand; repent and believe the gospel” Jesus extends an invitation, not an ultimatum driven by fear. It is an invitation to enter into the kingdom by following him--his way, his life. In the same way, our Christian apologetic must be invitational, as though God were entreating through us: “We beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

Perhaps understanding proper fear gives new insight to the words written in John’s first letter. “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us” (1 John 4:16-19). Author Scott Bader-Saye comments that fear twists virtue into vice.(2) Fear motivated by a lack of love pursues punishment. When we are detached from love, we preach messages that are built on fear. But those who preach Christ motivated by love, cast out all fear. When motivated by love, we become ambassadors of reconciliation reaching out with faith and not with fear, winning the lost with the hope that God has first loved us.

Margaret Manning is a member of the writing and speaking team at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries in Atlanta, Georgia.

(1) Lloyd Ogilvie cited in John Ortberg, If You Want To Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of The Boat (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001), 118.
(2) Scott Bader-Saye, Following Jesus in a Culture of Fear (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2007), 48-49
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #814
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning everyone. No news-and in my case these days, that is a good thing.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #815
Stazon Splitcoast

Howdy all!

Glad to see everyone popping in here and there. Always have you ladies on my heart in prayer.

Caterina, hope you are feeling better and glad you got some good rest over the weekend.

Hi Wendy..yup, that Bella girl is one cutie pie for sure.

Gail, you are such a wise one. I love your insights and all. I think it's what the New Testament churches meant when they encouraged the older ones to teach the younger ones...not that you are old or anything , but you have been down the road of parenting and have such good advice for April and us other moms with young'uns. I appreciate that from all of you who have older kids or kids that are out of the home now.

Peggysue, hope all the jobs for you are coming in in groves! And, such words of wisdom to Jan.

Jan, how's it going? I was on your blog today and so sorry that you didn't have a good turn out fo ryour open house. I would have come for sure!!!! The pics looked awesome! And, well, if there was chocolate...you know my rear would have been there!

April, how you doing sweetie?? Gail is so right about the arguing. While no one wants to argue, it's part of married life for most. So, make the best of it, and always make up and come back around full circle. We talk through things with our boys now that they are a bit older....apolgize to them if things got a bit loud! LOL! But, also say that sometimes grown ups don't get along and we have to talk about things...but that we still love each other even when we disagree. It will all be okay. Things will smooth out...just hang in there.

I had my 25th HS reunion this past weekend. Was really neat to see people that I hadn't seen probably some of them since then. I did make it to the 10 year reunion but hadn't seen much of anyone since then. So, it was good to see people....some I wouldn't have recognized at ALL, others they looked totally the same. One of my friends is now a mom-in-law.....we chuckled that I have a 5 and almost 8yo...and here she has a son-in-law. Crazy. But, was really good. Dh enjoyed it as best he could....he wasn't totally bored so that was fun. The boys enjoyed staying at my cousins house. Their youngest is the same age as our Ben so the boys had a blast. They wer eup till 11:30-12:00...even when we got home they were still messing around laughing in the bedroon all sacked out on the floor. It was good for them. Then on Sunday we went to my home church. WAs great to see some old friends there too......brought back such sweet memories of growing up, but also was sad that things and people have changed so much. Some at the reunion had been through divorces and several seemed to have had a very hard life and that's sort of sad.

Anyway, it was all good. I posted soome pics on my blog if you want to go peek.

Hope all is well...I have this booth at the bazaar on Fri/Sat so need to wrap up a few projects for that.

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #816
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleeK View Post
Oh, Hi Elee...I missed your post. I guess that's a good thing (hehe, not that I missed your post...but that you have no news), though I wish there was news of a big new job for dh. My dh told me last night that several of their plants at other locations were in the midst of laying of fpeople. Its' really a scary time job wise for many. I jsut heard on the news that Citibank was laying off I don't know how many people......largest layoff in the country so far. Very sad indeed.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #817
Pearl-ExPert

beth-
you sure have not changed...from the reunion pics...how cute are you!
I am glad you had a good time.

elee: glad everything is quiet on the front for you...whew!

hi everyone else!

toni
http://www.39thaveink.blogspot.com
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #818
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsmiley21 View Post
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/

they have crockpot meals and make ahead meals...

thanks

check out
crockpot.com too!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #819
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Good to hear from you --- what an absolutely adorable, precious baby!!

Thanks! I think she is too!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleeK View Post
So I can interpret this to mean that ds is recovering well? No complications? You're recovering from the first part of November?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #821
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39th Ave. Ink View Post
beth-
you sure have not changed...from the reunion pics...how cute are you!
I am glad you had a good time.

elee: glad everything is quiet on the front for you...whew!

hi everyone else!
Oh, thanks! *blush*blush* I don't really feel any different either....but some of the people I was like....."I know your eyes, but the rest of it is just not coming together for me in my head." and as soon as they said their name it all made perfect sense. Was really fun and interesting to see everyone. Only about 30 showed up and I really wish more could have made it in, but maybe next time.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #822
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies, I could use some prayer right now. I'm officially losing it right now, and I'm quick going to post this before the kiddos get home from school.

I had my day all planned out this morning, getting together with my BFF and got called to work at one of the most stressful jobs at school last minute. Well, when I called my friend to let her know what was happening I said that I would call her tonight to find out how her doctor appointment went. She then told me over the phone what the doctor said could possibly be wrong and none of the scenarios sounded good. She said she was fairly upbeat but her family is falling apart. Well, now I am as well. I just cannot imagine my life without her in it, she's 20 years older than me, so she's almost like a mother to me. We communicate at least every other day and I'm closer to her than my own sisters.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. I know that even if we are talking about cancer here the outcome is probably good, but I was stressed out before I got this news so I'm not handling it well at all. I'm so glad my kids and DH will be out of the house a couple hours tonight.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
Hi ladies, I could use some prayer right now. I'm officially losing it right now, and I'm quick going to post this before the kiddos get home from school.

I had my day all planned out this morning, getting together with my BFF and got called to work at one of the most stressful jobs at school last minute. Well, when I called my friend to let her know what was happening I said that I would call her tonight to find out how her doctor appointment went. She then told me over the phone what the doctor said could possibly be wrong and none of the scenarios sounded good. She said she was fairly upbeat but her family is falling apart. Well, now I am as well. I just cannot imagine my life without her in it, she's 20 years older than me, so she's almost like a mother to me. We communicate at least every other day and I'm closer to her than my own sisters.

Anyway, now I'm rambling. I know that even if we are talking about cancer here the outcome is probably good, but I was stressed out before I got this news so I'm not handling it well at all. I'm so glad my kids and DH will be out of the house a couple hours tonight.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Julie.
Take a deep breath.
Slow down.
I'm praying that God will give you peace, the peace that passes understanding.

Yup, bad news is scary. But it's potential ... don't get so caught up in the "what ifs" and "what might happen" and "how will I manage without her" that you forget to enjoy the moments that are happening right now ... with her, with your dh and with your kids.

If it's scary for you ... consider how scary it must be for her. Can you be a friend who will be there, without freaking out (too much), and help her carry this load? Find something positive to focus on ... how you can help her, or how not ALL the bad things are likely to happen ... or 'just' the fact that God is good and will carry you both through this difficult time.

Now ... another deep breath.
Take a hot bath and relax before dh and kids get home!

G.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #824
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Julie, so sorry for the news of your dear friend but Gail gave you good advice. Try to relax and put everything in God's hands -- easier said than done but just take it moment by moment. Sometimes when things seem to really hit hard, Reynold and I will read Psalms. David was a very emotional person - one minute up, the next down so God inspired him to write a lot of comforting words.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #825

Quote:
Julie, so sorry for the news of your dear friend but Gail gave you good advice. Try to relax and put everything in God's hands -- easier said than done but just take it moment by moment. Sometimes when things seem to really hit hard, Reynold and I will read Psalms. David was a very emotional person - one minute up, the next down so God inspired him to write a lot of comforting words.
Oh I love the Psalms! I can SO identify with David ... he speaks of his bed is wet with tears ... and yet at the end of each Psalm he can see God, and God's work ... and trust that God is taking care of it.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #826
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Amen, Gail
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #827
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Julie.
Take a deep breath.
Slow down.
I'm praying that God will give you peace, the peace that passes understanding.

Yup, bad news is scary. But it's potential ... don't get so caught up in the "what ifs" and "what might happen" and "how will I manage without her" that you forget to enjoy the moments that are happening right now ... with her, with your dh and with your kids.

If it's scary for you ... consider how scary it must be for her. Can you be a friend who will be there, without freaking out (too much), and help her carry this load? Find something positive to focus on ... how you can help her, or how not ALL the bad things are likely to happen ... or 'just' the fact that God is good and will carry you both through this difficult time.

Now ... another deep breath.
Take a hot bath and relax before dh and kids get home!

G.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I know that I'll be there for her and I'll be able to pull it together, it's just that there's so much busy-ness in my life right now and I was stressed to begin with. I've had to work with a severely autistic girl the last two days, and then will be working with an autistic boy on Thursday and Friday. I need to slow down a bit, so I told our school secretary not to call me tomorrow, that I wouldn't be able to work. Step one done.

I do tend to be a bit of a worrier and think about worst case scenarios too much. I know that I would have handled this better if I hadn't been stressed out to begin with. Thanks for the prayers.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #828
Pearl-ExPert

Julie:
If you have to read and re read what Gail wrote....do it...great advice.
Scary news, sends our heads a reeling. Try to stay focused on what you Know is true for the moment. Sweetie I know this is tough...but you can do this. Our prayers and support is with you...and most of all God will never forsake you.
BIG HUG

toni
Old 11-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #829
Insane Embellisher

Can someone answer a bible question? I visited a friends church two weeks ago and the sermon was about being ready for Christ's return and the rapture. I have never been taught about this particular subject and any answers you ladies can give me would be appreciated!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Can someone answer a bible question? I visited a friends church two weeks ago and the sermon was about being ready for Christ's return and the rapture. I have never been taught about this particular subject and any answers you ladies can give me would be appreciated!
We can ... but you're liable to get many different responses. Eschatology (end times stuff) is one of those things where Christians do not always agree.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #831
Insane Embellisher

Yeah, I got that from the sermon. He said that before he began. Is there any literature or websites that might help?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #832
Insane Embellisher

I put in the search engine the word eschatology and found alot of websites...thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #833

Quote:
I put in the search engine the word eschatology and found alot of websites...thanks!
Good.
I was going to suggest starting with wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_eschatology
There are always issues with wiki, but it'll give you a basic overview.

Eschatology is one of those things that gives me headaches ... I can only deal with short amounts of it at once.
One view of the end times can be found in the Left Behind series ... a bunch (I've lost count) of novels ... just remember that Left Behind is fiction based on one view.
(Yeh, I think my bias is showing here)
Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #834
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley View Post

Jan, how's it going? I was on your blog today and so sorry that you didn't have a good turn out fo ryour open house. I would have come for sure!!!! The pics looked awesome! And, well, if there was chocolate...you know my rear would have been there!
Oh, it wasn't that big of a deal. I hardly ever get more than a few at open houses and when I looked out the window and saw the snow coming down I knew it was doomed. I hadn't heard from anyone who had said they were coming, so I figured it probably wouldn't go. But I went ahead and prepared because occasionally I will get people who come without letting me know they are and I figured at least the room would be tidy.

The past two days have been busy. Monday I did food shopping: off to Target first to buy snacks and school lunch stuff, then in the afternoon to the regular grocery store to buy stuff for meals for the week. Then after I picked up the kids, I went to the meat market and picked up some meat. Last night we had Total Ministry at church, so I had to go do that...we're studying the Old Testament and doing the Law right now and very interesting it is too.

Today I had to go to the health food store for supplements, then out to Northridge Church to drop off the two shoeboxes from our Operation Christmas Child campaign at our church. I started talking about it on time and everything this year (usually I forget until it's almost too late!) and still we didn't get much of a response. Money is tight for everyone...I myself decided not to do any this year because we are cutting back and just managing our World Vision child and trying to keep up with my pledge at church is as much as we can do. But we did get two, so I took those out there, then stopped at the scrapbook store where I used to teach on the way back and DIDN'T BUY A THING (woohoo!) then on to the Pepperidge Farms thrift store to buy enough bread for the month. Along with laundry and mopping the floor!

This afternoon/evening I had to take two of my kids to the pediatrician for their annual. I have to take my oldest next week, so they will all be getting their flu shot and DD#2 will be getting her tetanus booster and her meningitis shot then too. I think I will have to plan a treat after that!

I finally got downstairs to start making cards for next Monday's class and to think about swaps for my upline's meeting on Thursday.

Wednesday should be a little slower, at least for me. So I'll work on swaps and design cards, do a bit more laundry. Thursday I have my annual endocrinologist appointment where the doctor will probably tell me I am still cancer free (it's been 4 1/2 years, woohoo!) and then my upline's meeting. So it's busy, busy, busy!

Next week, I'm thinking we will be eating at home for Thanksgiving. My parents are not cooking, but going to one of my cousin's house for dinner. My mother-in-law was in the hospital recently and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, so she's not feeling very well and they are not cooking dinner either. We think they should stay close to home and not come here in that case. And the logistics of us going there and cooking for them don't really work well. So I'm thinking we'll go over for the day either Friday or Saturday to visit with both sets of parents and then come right back here. I'm preaching that Sunday, so we have to be back for that and DH has a gig on Sunday night so he also has to be back then.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #835
Stazon Splitcoast

The end times confuse me too! LOL! Our minister is doing a series on Revelations and there is some good info in that book of the Bible. It's sort of 'freaky' and hard to understand but go with it.....it will share some of what the end times will look like.

Other that what has already been said, my thoughts are just be ready. I don't know what shape or form the end times will take but I wanna be ready to go through whatever it is with Jesus at my side knowing that the outcome will be eternity with HIM! Not much help am I ,huh? LOL!

You might also google pretribulation and post tribulation. I think there is another word for another view of the end times but it's not coming to my head.

Julie....just want to say that I'm praying for your friend. I know it's totally overwhelming at this point but you got some good advice already. Please know that you both will be in my prayers!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #836
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, well, I must say your basement looks fantastic! Sounds like you have had a busy week already and it's only Tuesday! Hope the rest of the week is a bit slower. I wish we had a bread place around here...I got thorugh a lot of it with the daycare!

Hey, you are a good one to answer Bacon's questions about the end times!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #837
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
I'll attempt to answer your question...ask away!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #838
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Speaking of end times - has anyone read the Left Behind series by Jerry Jenkins and Dr. Tim LaHaye? I truly enjoyed them. Of course, having worked for Dr, LaHaye makes me slightly bias.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #839
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Speaking of end times - has anyone read the Left Behind series by Jerry Jenkins and Dr. Tim LaHaye? I truly enjoyed them. Of course, having worked for Dr, LaHaye makes me slightly bias.
i have read the first and part of the second book. I like them.

Do you all read Christian fiction? Who do you like best?

I read all kinds of books Christian fiction and non, theology...whatever ,I love to read.

One of the Pastor's just told me of a really good Christian Fiction will a great message, called The Shack.

toni
Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #840
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
I've read them...they aren't the deepest fiction, but I simply could not put the first one down!