Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #441
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Doris ...

I'm just praying that right now you can feel God holding you close. Take care.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #442
Forum Fanatic

Steph, If the other jobs don't get done, leave them. Eventually someone else will get irritated with garbage/recycle build up.

When the kids were younger we had scheduled make-your-own dinner nights and/or leftover dinner nights [microwaves are so handy dandy]. Everyone was in charge of their own dishes. All I did was wash up the containers that were emptied. My suggestion is start making large meals so you have leftovers to use once or twice a week. If not enough leftovers, have brinner once a week.

The other things I did were to make up a menu which helped my brain. I only had to think up what to make once a week [or month] and then follow the menu. It also stopped everyone from asking "what's for dinner" because I would simply point to the magnetized menu.

Last edited by EleeK; 10-22-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: added name
Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #443
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris View Post
Julie...sorry that you are not feeling well. Is there any way that you can take a couple of days off to recover. You don't want this to linger or get worse! Yikes! Take it easy...OK? Concerning your friend. I am glad that you told her. I think sometimes we know in our gut what is the best thing to do....and we just have to go with that. I am sure she was grateful for your honesty.

Beth...sorry to hear about the principal. Could you maybe find a job someday working for this man? He sounds wonderful. Glad your kids conferences went well....ours are on Thursday.

margy, it is amazing to me how many women and men I know have problems/conflicts within their families. It certainly is a struggle. Stay focused on what you believe to be the right thing to do...follow your heart, and let your flame shine brightly! It will light up the room!

Goodnight...

I have thought about it. I was actually on h is new system's site last week and wondered if I should apply. It's all online now days and siad it would take 60 min. to fill out and I didn't have time and didn't get back on it later. I guess since theywill need a WHOLE school fullof teachers...maybe I SHOULD apply. I'm sure they would not be on the same schedule as our boys as far as breaks but it would likely be close enough for summers/christmas/holidays.

Julie..how you feeling today? Maybe you said....I'm still getting caught up here....

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #444
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Doris ...

I'm just praying that right now you can feel God holding you close. Take care.
Thanks!

Yeah...it has been another hard day. I am having more problems with putting in the phone for my Mom. You wouldn't think that such a small thing would be such a big deal....but it is. The Social Worker from the nursing home called me today about putting in the phone, and she told me that my siblings were mad that I was doing it. I explained my reasons why....told her I was paying for it....and she couldn't understand why there was a problem either. So we will see. It is just so frustrating. I wish I could call and discuss it with them, but they don't listen to me. They talk at me....tell me what to do, and just disregard my thoughts, feelings, and logic. It is just "do it my way" because I am older than you. They just have so many issues, and so much anger within them...it is hard to communicate with them. And unfortunately it gets worse as they get older.

I am just praying for peace.....and that God's will be done. I can say that I tried....gave it my best....and just have to accept it at that.

On the bright side though....I received quite a few birthday cards today from my nieces, one of my girlfriends, and my sweet brother. (my birthday is tomorrow) They wrote some really kind, thoughtful things....made me cry. So I think it was a sign from God that I am loved by many...and not to lose heart.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #445
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39th Ave. Ink View Post
beth- sorry about the principal leaving, that stuff is hard when you get someone really great in the position then they leave after being there for a while...it is the same for teachers...i was upset when some retired before my ds had the opportunity to have them. My BIL was my ds's principal...that was sticky on occasion, he did not retire from that position until Ry was out of elementary school.
Do you get xtra kids during Fall Break for DayCare?
Well, I can be thankful because our ds grade 2's teacher goes to our old church and graduated form dh's alma mater (a Church of God univ)...can't complain there.....and we love ds K's teacher..she's just exceptional. How fun about your BIL being the principal....that's neato.

No, only extra kids are my own and they were good as gold today.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #446
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, I'm feeling quite a bit better today, I actually was able to get right to sleep last night instead of coughing for two hours. Sleep can just make a world of difference.

However, I am a bit grouchy right now because my day off didn't go as I wanted it to...so I'm having myself a pouting session right now. Believe me, it's nothing majorly wrong, I'm just choosing to stew for a while.

Doris, I'm sorry things aren't going as you planned, I hope this all gets worked out. I'm glad you are feeling loved right now.

I took my youngest DS to the eye doctor today. The doctor said he's near-sighted enough to need glasses. Poo, I'd really hoped my kids would not have my eye issues, but when you have children I guess they get both your good and bad traits, right? And it looks like they'll have DH's teeth issues, oh yay, the braces will be here before we know it.

Sorry, I'm being such a downer tonight, but I did admit it, I'm grouchy right now. Hope everyone is doing okay.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 10-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #447
Stazon Splitcoast

My dear, Doris! You are loved by many...I love you!!! And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow......so sorry today was stinky but I"m glad you talked to the social work er and that she saw your side of it. What your sibs are doing seems very silly and immature to me......it's sad really. But, you are a trooper and are a tough one.....you are doing all of the right things!

Hugs!

Steph...hope you are having a great day today in spite of the tough times. I think you have gotten such wonderful advice already. Your kids are old enough to help with a few chores if you don't have them doing that already. Our boys are 7 and 5 and have been unloading the dishwasher for me for about a year or longer now. They it in what they can in the lower cabinets....and set the other stuff on the counter. Even that little bit helps me soooo much. They also empty all the trashcans into the bigger trashcan on the weekends....that small thing helps so much. Find a few little things that they can do on a reg. basis to help you out.....hope you are doing better today.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #448
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
Hi, I'm feeling quite a bit better today, I actually was able to get right to sleep last night instead of coughing for two hours. Sleep can just make a world of difference.

However, I am a bit grouchy right now because my day off didn't go as I wanted it to...so I'm having myself a pouting session right now. Believe me, it's nothing majorly wrong, I'm just choosing to stew for a while.

Doris, I'm sorry things aren't going as you planned, I hope this all gets worked out. I'm glad you are feeling loved right now.

I took my youngest DS to the eye doctor today. The doctor said he's near-sighted enough to need glasses. Poo, I'd really hoped my kids would not have my eye issues, but when you have children I guess they get both your good and bad traits, right? And it looks like they'll have DH's teeth issues, oh yay, the braces will be here before we know it.

Sorry, I'm being such a downer tonight, but I did admit it, I'm grouchy right now. Hope everyone is doing okay.
Grouchy IS allowed here! Glad you are feeling a little better today...hang in there.....I get miffed when my days don't go as I planned. It's hard for me to remember that I am not in control...but God is! Can you tell me that tomorrow when I'm miffed at my kids! LOL! Hope you sleep better tonight.....Hugs and some hot tea!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #449
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie....sorry that you are a bit grouchy. Both of my kids have glasses too....so I know how you feel about that one. Glad you got some sleep....maybe you can make yourself a nice cup of your favorite tea and get to bed early tonight. Get some nice comfy pj's on....a good magazine, and some tea. Maybe a bit of quiet time will help you feel better. {{hugs}}

Steph....I was going to comment on this earlier, but got torn away from the computer. I have been in your situation, and I think the best solution is to tell everyone that they need to help you more. Cause if they don't...and you can warn them....you are going to be one grumpy mama.
This will be YOU....

It isn't pretty.....And we DON'T want that do we? It is to their benefit that they help you. It is a team effort. Everyone needs to help....
Cause a Happy Mommy is better for everyone.....

I also think it is important to get some private, down time. Are you taking any time for yourself? This really is important. You need time to recharge your batteries....you can't give to others if you can't give to you. So maybe this would help as well....
Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #450
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley
....Hugs and some hot tea!
...are you in my head again woman?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #451
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah...it has been another hard day. I am having more problems with putting in the phone for my Mom. You wouldn't think that such a small thing would be such a big deal....but it is. The Social Worker from the nursing home called me today about putting in the phone, and she told me that my siblings were mad that I was doing it. I explained my reasons why....told her I was paying for it....and she couldn't understand why there was a problem either. So we will see. It is just so frustrating. I wish I could call and discuss it with them, but they don't listen to me. They talk at me....tell me what to do, and just disregard my thoughts, feelings, and logic. It is just "do it my way" because I am older than you. They just have so many issues, and so much anger within them...it is hard to communicate with them. And unfortunately it gets worse as they get older.

I am just praying for peace.....and that God's will be done. I can say that I tried....gave it my best....and just have to accept it at that.

On the bright side though....I received quite a few birthday cards today from my nieces, one of my girlfriends, and my sweet brother. (my birthday is tomorrow) They wrote some really kind, thoughtful things....made me cry. So I think it was a sign from God that I am loved by many...and not to lose heart.
Doris, is it your birthday today?

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Wish I could have sent you some happy mail.

Sorry to hear about your struggles but hang in there, do the best that you can and leave the rest to the Lord.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #452
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Julie, sorry you are not up to par but pray tomorrow will bring you a better day.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #453
Stazon Splitcoast

Well Doris, your smilies at least made me feel better.

I guess I better fix myself some tea now.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #454
Forum Fanatic

Doris's birthday is tomorrow. Hope she doesn't mind me telling that to her friends here.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #455
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
...are you in my head again woman?
Hehehhee, that was funny....great minds..and I don't even really drink hot tea...but it sure sounds good....and I suppose if I was sick, would feel really good....used to drink it all the time in zimbabwe...hot tea with milk...of coarse, they had tea time like the British so it really grew on us.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #456

Quote:
This will be YOU....

Where did you find that picture of me?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #457
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Beth, when were you in Zimbawe? Would love to see that part of the world someday.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #458
Pearl-ExPert

Doris: I am really sorry things are not working out the way you expected.
I will pray for the peace you requested...but i will also pray for reconciliation.
I pray that our Lord will give you peace beyond our understanding. I hope you have a blessed birthday.

Steph: You know...there is a bag of trash the needs to go out and some laundry that still needs to be put away...and you know what, at the end of the day...it does not matter. The really important things happened. The laundry will be there tomorrow and the trash will go out in the morning. And by tomorrow night, something else may go undone...but i had some great conversation with my family tonight. I know what my ds plans are, and was able to encourage him. Be good to yourself know that your are loved.
Here is a big HUG from me! Tea is a good remedy too!

Julie- sorry you are having the grouchies! rest and take good care of yourself.

Hello Gloria, Margy, Elee, Caterina, Gail, Wendy & Beth...i hope i did not forget anyone.

Sweet Dreams!

toni
http://www.39thaveink.blogspot.com
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #459
Pearl-ExPert

Ladies I have just become afraid! Along with my other probs i told you about,
I have terrible teeth problems... the inside of one tooth just came out...I already have one other fractured tooth. I have no dental insurance. Pray Pray Pray

toni
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #460
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd check in. DH is home with bronchitis today; it's getting better slowly (he's had it for the past three weeks), but since he only had one class today he thought it would be a good day to stay home and get it better faster. DD#1 is home today because today is "Monarch Day"...it's the day they bring in kids from parochial elementary schools to show them what their high school is like; they start that in 7th grade. So the two youngest are in school today and the three of us are at home.

God has been gracious enough to keep me well through this season of colds; my children have all had one or more colds and DH had the one that went into bronchitis. He went to the doctor last week and she said it was chronic bronchitis and she didn't believe in giving antibiotics for it. Call if it gets worse or no better. He's scheduled to go see our favorite doctor next month so they can check his general health. Otherwise he's doing pretty well.

We finally got the people out of here that were repairing my son's room. Remember the leak we had? Well, $1700 some odd dollars later (not even counting the Servepro people) and it's fixed. You can't even tell where they seamed the plaster and the dry wall together, these guys are GOOD. There is some money left from what the insurance paid that was supposed to replace his carpeting, but we are not doing it. I ended up getting a rug for his floor with a set of bunk beds that friends of mine at church were taking out of their daughters room. My friends brought the bunk beds and rug over yesterday and took the day bed that was in his room apart and set up the beds. We kept the mattress we had, since they were only giving us one of the mattresses for the bunk beds, but I found someone on the freecycle list looking for a bed without a mattress, so she came and got the day bed yesterday too! She just got a place of her own and was sleeping on a mattress on the floor, so my son's old bed was just what she needed.

I'm paying my friends $75 for the beds with one mattress, the rug and a set of bedding that my girls have already got dibsies on. So the money for the carpeting is going to (hopefully) tear out this stupid subfloor in my kitchen/dining area and foyer and put a new sub floor in the kitchen so I can finally pull out the peel 'n stick I bought last year to do the floor and I can get it done! I've got one guy the estimating company recommended coming on Saturday to give us a quote and another company recommended by a friend possibly coming to give us a quote as well.

I will also get a quote on refinishing the floors so we can start saving towards getting it done. I hope to take every stitch of carpeting out of this house eventually, but we are now committed to paying cash for everything we can, so I can't do it until we have the money. We are doing the Total Money Makeover and it is great so far. We've stopped using credit cards, we got a pair of debit cards instead. Paid off almost all the credit cards except the one with the big balance and that I transferred to a 0% card with $0 balance transfer fees. We'll whack at that until it is gone and then we will be debt free except for our house. I hope to be at that point by this time next year. We are on a budget, though I haven't started using the envelope system recommended yet. I hope to get that organized soon. Instead, we've been buying scrip from our kids elementary school; you buy gift cards through this program that you can use for gifts or for everyday purchases and part of the money goes back to the school. And the school credits that amount against your tuition next year, so it's a win/win. We've bought gas cards, a Kroger card that we can just keep reloading and CVS cards so far. It really helps with budgeting. Luckily, gas just keeps dropping in price and we haven't had to spend the amount I originally budgeted, which gives us more money to pay off the debt!

Another thing we are doing is selling things we don't need/use, so my weaving loom got sold last week. I bought it 19 years ago when I was very into weaving and stopped weaving when DD#1 was 2 or 3...it was just too time consuming and DD was bad about pulling on the threads of my warp and yanking it all out of whack! It's been shuffled around the house every since. I put it up on Craig's List at about the price I paid for it, not expecting to get a buyer for it, but I had two people interested and the first came to look at it on Friday and bought it. I threw in all the yarn and tools and she bought a few of my books. So all that money is going to pay down the big balance. Now I have to pull all the magazines and books upstairs, take pics and put them on Ebay. Then I have to do my retired stamps and get them out of here. In the spring, we'll have a garage sale and get rid of more stuff. DH is supposed to sell off some of his amplifiers, but he hasn't gotten too busy doing it yet; this bronchitis has really been dragging him down.

I'm still looking for a job, trying to get some freelance work through ODesk.com, but nothing yet. It's hard to get the first job, since lots of the buyers want someone with ODesk hours, but you can't get hours unless someone hires you! I'd really prefer to work at home, but on the other hand, having a regular job with a regular pay check is very appealing. I applied at Kinko's and they did call me, but the job was second shift, from 3 PM to 11 PM...I just didn't want to be gone when my kids are at home and someone needs to be here to cook them dinner, etc. So I had to say no to that one.

God has been gracious to bless my SU! business lately...I've had three workshops in the past few months, I'm getting new students for my class and I've gotten a number of online orders. So I've been putting my energy into keeping my momentum going. I dropped off the design team I was on because I just don't seem to have enough time to devote to both.

I've been checking in on the thread and reading and praying for as many as I can.

Doris, Happy Birthday! I pray that the phone situation is resolved satisfactorily and quickly.

Julie, praying that you may recover from your bronchitis quickly.

Toni, where my parents live, there is a free dental clinic for people who can't afford to pay...I don't know your financial situation, but there may be something like that where you live. I know my brother has had to take advantage of the free clinic.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 AM   #461
Matboard Maniac

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DORIS{{HUGS}}
Saying a prayer for everyone this morning.
Dear Lord
Please be with all my SCS Bibble sisters today.
Gift them with joy, peace, love, and your loving grace.
Please heal the aches and pains today, and work on the big stuff too.
Send an Angle to sit with Steph, so she will take some time for herself.
Please let Julie have an incredible day. Let Doris have some peace with the siblings. Lord I just need you to make your presence known to all today.
In Jesus name I pray Amen.
Caterina you have lovely grandchildren, I wish you a blessed day with no tummy problems. Gail, Elee Toni, Gloria, Rita, Beth I wish you all the best today.
I am off to Oregon, I am taking my Mom over to get her car licenced again. My sis gave her my bil car so have to take care of buisness.
Oh Elee loved the regea stuff,
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #462
Matboard Maniac

Oh I knew I was forgetting someone!!!!! Such a DORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan Have a great Day. Good for you for making a plan and sticking with it!
We ours similar, pay down the big, and work on everything else as it comes.
For us it is medical bills, and this year it was my turn to have the wierd stuff.
Good luck will you post your stamps sets on SCS?
Have a good day
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #463
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning to all.

Toni, so sorry to hear about your dental problems and pray God will direct you in getting treatment. Is there a dental teaching school near you? If so, you might want to check with them to get treatment. When my dd had dental problems and no insurance, she went to the dental school.

Margy, have a safe trip and thanks so very much for your prayers.

Jan, glad you checked in --- btw, I do freecycle, too -- what a great site!! Hope your dh will get well really soon. May God continue to bless you with your SU business and also find you a job.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #464
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Devotional for today

Tiny Beginnings
Alison Thomas

When I was a little girl, my father would affectionately call me "kaduku" which means "mustard seed." Since most of my friends were called the more common food-inspired nicknames of honey and sugar, I never understood why I was compared to such a strange item. Years later, I described my bewilderment to a friend as we were preparing a curry dish--mustard seeds in hand. She chuckled and knew immediately why the name was appropriate. She said, "Look at these tiny seeds, so quiet and inconspicuous. Yet when we throw them into the oil, they will show us how loud and explosive they can really be."

I could not help but smile recently with that memory in mind while reading the parable of the mustard seed, another comparison that bursts of paradoxical imagery. Jesus says, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches" (Matthew 13:31).

The significance of this parable is illuminated when connecting it to Old Testament passages that describe little birds nesting in the branches of mighty trees. In a revelation to Ezekiel, the Lord described Assyria as "a cedar in Lebanon with beautiful branches and forest shade, and very high; and its top was among the clouds... all the birds of the heavens nested in its boughs, and under its branches all the beasts of the field gave birth, and all great nations lived under its shade" (Ezekiel 31:6). In Nebuchadnezzar's dream he too beheld "a tree in the midst of the earth, and its height was great. The tree grew large and became strong, and its height reached to the sky, and it was visible to the end of the whole earth. Its foliage was beautiful and its fruit abundant, and in it was food for all. The beasts of the field found shade under it, and the birds of the sky dwelt in its branches, and all living creatures fed themselves from it" (Daniel 4:10–12).

Since Jesus and his disciples were familiar with those mighty images, the deliberate irony in the parable of the mustard seed was clear. The kingdom of heaven would grow from its tiny beginnings to a great tree that would ultimately provide shelter, protection, and benefit to the entire world. As Craig Keener notes, "The parable is intended to accent both the qualities of growth and contrast. Like the mustard seed, the kingdom's humble beginnings and unpretentious character offer no visible indication of its future growth and glory, but just as there is continuity between the tiny mustard seed and the resulting 'tree,' so there is continuity from the seemingly inconsequential beginnings in Jesus' ministry and the future glory of God's consummating reign. Thus even though the beginnings of God's kingdom as manifested in Jesus may appear unimpressive, it is casually dismissed at one's own peril."(1)

How marvelously the parable of the mustard seed highlights the past, present, and future magnificence of the kingdom in which God reigns. Though the presence of the King among us may at times feel threatened and slight, his is a kingdom with an explosive promise: it is not the one who plants or waters; it is God who makes things grow. Even now God is working to that end of future glory, calling us to see the great tree in the seedling, growing all things in his time--even those with the tiniest of beginnings.

Alison Thomas is a member of the speaking team at Ravi Zacharias International Ministries in Atlanta, Georgia.

(1) Craig Keener as quoted in The College Press NIV Commentary: Matthew (Joplin: College Press, 1997), Matthew 13:31.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #465

Happy Birthday Doris ...
I'm praying that God will bless you on your special day!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #466
Hardware Hotshot

Jan! So good to hear from you again!! We did FPU and TMMO this spring at our church! It's hard, but let me tell from the other side.... IT IS WORTH IT!!! We finished paying off all of our debt (except the house) in February. Dave Ramsey is so cut and dry, isn't he?? We are working on our retirement now. But, we put in a new furnance and boiler and paid CASH!!! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #467
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonstamps View Post
Jan! So good to hear from you again!! We did FPU and TMMO this spring at our church! It's hard, but let me tell from the other side.... IT IS WORTH IT!!! We finished paying off all of our debt (except the house) in February. Dave Ramsey is so cut and dry, isn't he?? We are working on our retirement now. But, we put in a new furnance and boiler and paid CASH!!! Keep up the good work!
I love listening to Dave and I try to tune in every night. Helps me keep my gazelle intensity, LOL!

Phew! I just finished going through all our paperwork that was clogging my side table and the computer cabinet. Threw a bunch of stuff away, have a pile to shred, filed some, and have a pile of stuff to deal with ASAP. I am mad at myself because I had a reward from ATT Uverse that I meant to redeem, but I missed the cut off date. The second reward from them that expired before I could redeem it. Every time I went to check to see if I could redeem it yet, it said I couldn't yet and then when it was available I missed it.

We have a couple of annuities then DH has his pension, so retirement is pretty much okay at this point. We could always use more, but getting the debt paid off and then starting to put together that emergency fun is our first priority. The kids don't like it much, because I am limiting restaurant visits to one per month unless we take the money from DH's band money stash or my SU! business. Though I still will buy cheap pizza from Little Caesar's...I don't know that I could even make the pizzas myself for what I can buy it from there. I have told them that Christmas will probably be not as much as last year and that we are trying to save money. I noticed that my middle child took this to heart; in totalling up her hot lunch form today, I noted that she did not check the box to get juice boxes with her lunches...she already gets milk that we paid for and I guess she realized she should drink that instead of expecting an extra drink too. I placed limits on what I would spend for Halloween costumes, but told them if they want to have anything above that, they can spend their allowances on it. They realized that the extras aren't that important if they have to spend their own money, LOL!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #468
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
I love listening to Dave and I try to tune in every night. Helps me keep my gazelle intensity, LOL!

Phew! I just finished going through all our paperwork that was clogging my side table and the computer cabinet. Threw a bunch of stuff away, have a pile to shred, filed some, and have a pile of stuff to deal with ASAP. I am mad at myself because I had a reward from ATT Uverse that I meant to redeem, but I missed the cut off date. The second reward from them that expired before I could redeem it. Every time I went to check to see if I could redeem it yet, it said I couldn't yet and then when it was available I missed it.

We have a couple of annuities then DH has his pension, so retirement is pretty much okay at this point. We could always use more, but getting the debt paid off and then starting to put together that emergency fun is our first priority. The kids don't like it much, because I am limiting restaurant visits to one per month unless we take the money from DH's band money stash or my SU! business. Though I still will buy cheap pizza from Little Caesar's...I don't know that I could even make the pizzas myself for what I can buy it from there. I have told them that Christmas will probably be not as much as last year and that we are trying to save money. I noticed that my middle child took this to heart; in totalling up her hot lunch form today, I noted that she did not check the box to get juice boxes with her lunches...she already gets milk that we paid for and I guess she realized she should drink that instead of expecting an extra drink too. I placed limits on what I would spend for Halloween costumes, but told them if they want to have anything above that, they can spend their allowances on it. They realized that the extras aren't that important if they have to spend their own money, LOL!
Yeah, we stopped funding my 401(k) and DH's 403(b) for two years until we paid off our debt. We were able to do the 3-6 mos emergency fund fairly quickly b/c we weren't sending the stupid credit cards/Sallie Mae a ton of money every month. We could've done it even faster, but after we finished off the credit cards, we bought a huge TV (w/cash of course!).

Going out to eat is our downfall. We limited it for a while b/c we did the envelopes, but after DD was born in June we haven't got back on it. Envelopes are hard!!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #469
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Happy Birthday Doris ...
I'm praying that God will bless you on your special day!
I started a special thread for Doris just now......

All of ya'll...go wish her well!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...7#post11791327

Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #470
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all, I hope everyone is well. Well, so much for my day of cleaning house, I got a call at 9:00 this morning, our school secretary in a panic, needing a sub at the last minute. Fortunately, it was only a half day so hopefully after I eat my lunch I can get to work. We're painting our family room this weekend and I was hoping to clean and get some of the tape up.

I'm feeling some better, sometimes I feel good, other times terrible. The sinus pains seem to have disappeared, but the cough keeps hanging on. I know from past experience that this will probably take at least another week.

Oh, and the grouchies are gone today as well, though I certainly could have shaken them off yesterday, I just chose not to . Fortunately, I don't get them too often.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #471
Matboard Maniac

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
I LIKE THE SMELL OF ROSES
AND
I LIIII IIKE YOU TOO
and many more
Hope your day is a bright one
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #472
Matboard Maniac

WELL I CAN SEE I POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST ME DORK SISTA

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #473
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thought to share this with all of you.

Map of the United States

A father wanted to read a magazine but was being bothered by his little girl, Shelby. She wanted to know what the United States looked like.

Finally, he tore a sheet out of his new magazine on which was printed the map of the country.

Tearing it into small pieces, he gave it to Shelby and said, 'Go into the other room and see if you can put this together.

This will show you our whole country today.'

After a few minutes, Shelby returned to her Dad and handed him the map, correctly fitted and taped together.

The father was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly. 'Oh,' she said, 'on the other side of the paper is a picture of Jesus. When I got all of Jesus back where He belonged, then our country just came together.'

Hmmm!!.......

...... AMEN!!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #474
Matboard Maniac

What a lovely thought. I pray for our country all the time, have a great evening Caterina.
I wish you all a really good night.
God Bless

Margy
Choose to be happy
Old 10-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #475
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Thanks, Margy, hope you are feeling and doing well. Btw, I enjoy Heather on the Misfit thread. She has a great sense of humor.

We will be away until next month - going down to Kitty Hawk to celebrate Reynold's retirement.

Take care.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #476
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampinglunchlady View Post
WELL I CAN SEE I POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST ME DORK SISTA
Margy..that made me LOL...you silly! Too funny....I guess we are all dorks in our own way...some of us more than others! Hehehehe! I would be one of the more dorky ones around these parts!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #477
Stazon Splitcoast

Will miss you, Caterina! Taking a puter by chance? Have a nice relaxing time.

Love that devo/story you p osted about the puzzle of the united states...so true, isn't it? I pray for our country all the time too......especially on these election years that God would allow the right person to lead our country.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #478
Insane Embellisher

WOW, can you believe we are on page 12 already!! Wonderful isn't it!!

Steph, We watch the Nanny( I know isn't it funny since we are in our 60"S) but she made a list one time of a few jobs and let the kids pick the ones they wanted, you could even do the picking each week to just change the jobs around.

Doris,HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet lady! Sorry to hear the phone has not worked out yet for you and your mom. Would she be able to use a cell phone?? Were do you get the cute smilies from? (((HUG's)))

Julie, hope you are feeling better, have you tried the lemon/honey tea? That worked great for me with my cough, and I added a little more honey to it. Your saying about the glasses made me think of when I got mine in 1st grade, I had them for months when my mom went in for teacher/parent talk. The teacher asked my mom when I was going to get the glasses, was my mom surprised with that.... Oh, boy I had to admit that I only wore them until out of sight of the house and then in my pocket they went until on the way home!! Needless to say I was wearing them everyday ALL day after that!

Toni, Good luck with your teeth, hope you can find a school or free clinic. I know now that we are retired we no longer have insurance either and I hold my breath when ever I have to have them cleaned .

Jan, So glad your leak is fixed, What is a Kroger card? What sort of weaving did you do? I did rag rugs for years, miss it at times but after hearing what the thread cost now glad I sold mine when I was in nursing school and didn't have time for it.

Margy, What a nice prayer for everyone today, thank you. Hope you had a save and fun trip with your mom.

Caterina, Have a fun trip with your husband! I seen the story of the map before but it is always good to be reminded !

I have to ask all of you, tomorrow we go to the Dr, to have the stitches out for my husband, not sure if we'll hear then if they know what kind of tumor it is, but please think of us tomorrow, to place it in Gods hands.

Have to say hi to Beth and all the rest before I say good night. Take care. Gloria
Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #479
Pearl-ExPert

hello everyone and thank you for the great ideas for my broken tooth. i have a dental appt in the morning for a free consult and exam, so they will tell me the whole bad news at one time...LOL!

Funny so many of us know Dave Ramsey so well! I did FPU about 6 yrs ago...
hard yes, but absolutley, but worth it. I taught ds how to budget money with envelopes from his very first paycheck.

Right now our church is doing the A B C's of Financial Freedom.

toni
Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #480
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, dear, my sweet toothless Toni..I think I missed the post about your tooth.....better go check...maybe I missed a page or something...dork!